HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Brett Sutter (CAR) - Cleared

Old
11-18-2010, 03:10 PM
Boom Boom Anton

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
The way I understand it, he was in the AHL on a conditioning stint, which means that he was earning his NHL salary and that he could only be in the 'A a maximum of two weeks. This was done so as to formally assign him to Charlotte and have him earn the AHL salary on his two-way contract.
Correct. The comments from the Canes beat reporter in YESTERDAY's blog said:

Quote:
Sutter, 23, is the cousin of Canes center Brandon Sutter and will be assigned to the Charlotte Checkers (AHL).
Read more: http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/...#ixzz15fOh7jdy

The plan from the get go was for him to go to Charlotte and waivers is a necessary step to accomplish that.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 03:11 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
It would be hysterical if this were true, and Carolina re-claimed him on waivers and re-waived him to Charlotte

We could watch two teams have a waiver war...
If the Islander claimed him, then waived him again, then he was claimed by Carolina, he wouldn't have to be waived (again) to be sent down to Charlotte, they had already went through that process, the wouldn't have to waive him again.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 03:13 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Skinner View Post
well i am not sure. i imagine that if he was on the big club and you claimed him, he would be assigned to your big club. however, since usually a player on waivers is cause he is being sent to the AHL, he may end up on the AHL roster of whoever is claiming him. I guess it is all a little confusing to me still
The purpose of waivers is to make sure that NHL-quality players don't end up in the AHL. It wouldn't make sense to allow teams to claim a guy straight to their minor-league team.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 03:16 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
The purpose of waivers is to make sure that NHL-quality players don't end up in the AHL. It wouldn't make sense to allow teams to claim a guy straight to their minor-league team.
ah ok i gotcha. that makes sense.

Anton Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 03:41 PM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeafs38 View Post
I wouldn't mind Leafs claiming him. I'd rather have Sutter than John ****ing Mitchell.
How dare you besmirch the name of Johnny Malkin?

Mint Berry Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 05:30 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Axel View Post
He was on a conditioning stint in Abbotsford.

I also wonder about the second part you wrote, I remember one of the articles saying that Brett would still be on the Canes roster, but be on a conditioning stint in Charlotte until they figure out where to put him.?
Oh a conditioning stint, I forgot about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
The way I understand it, he was in the AHL on a conditioning stint, which means that he was earning his NHL salary and that he could only be in the 'A a maximum of two weeks. Waiving him was done so as to formally assign him to Charlotte and have him earn the AHL salary on his two-way contract.
Ah, so he was still on the Flames roster making his NHL salary but he was on the conditioning stint. Makes sense he'd move to the Hurricanes roster after the trade and now has to clear waivers to make it down.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 06:06 PM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Skinner View Post
umm, yeah exactly. i dont get what people dont understand about this......

if you go back and look, both sides were saying that Brett Sutter was part of the deal from the beginning, late october, early november time frame, before the bar fight, and that the canes actually wanted him here. Canes didnt just take him as a dump and then pawn him off. they are sending him down to the A cause it is already jammed up top.

some people....or apparently quite a few, are ver short sighted in the matter.
People get claimed off of waivers you know. Even if no one takes him now, they basically traded for an AHL player because there are quite a few teams that would claim him at half the cap hit on his way back up. Thats just too attractive for a team contemplating a playoff run looking for added depth. Trading for him to stick him in the A is great if having a good AHL club is your goal.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 06:20 PM
impeach estaalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo View Post
People get claimed off of waivers you know. Even if no one takes him now, they basically traded for an AHL player because there are quite a few teams that would claim him at half the cap hit on his way back up. Thats just too attractive for a team contemplating a playoff run looking for added depth. Trading for him to stick him in the A is great if having a good AHL club is your goal.
Unless Sutter's AHL salary is above 105,000 (which I can't imagine it is), he doesn't have to clear re-entry waivers.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 07:12 PM
sh724

PHX is going to pick him up so he can complete his community service

sh724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 07:43 PM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
I'd laugh if he was claimed by the flames
Why not, they brought Joker back after trading him.

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 08:11 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Pops probably couldn't bear the thought of waiving his own blood.

Better to let someone else do that.

Tough position to be in
He was already waived once as a Flame, maybe you should know what you're talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
What on earth is going on?

Trade for him, only to waive him?

Guess Car they felt he had to be taken as part of the deal to get White....
they have to waive him to send him to Charlotte, it's pretty straight forward... he's a borderline 4th liner right now he will likely clear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
Flames can't claim him I don't think? Remember when Dean McAmmond was traded to Colorado, then put on waivers and re-claimed by the Flames? He was ineligible to play for them, I'm pretty sure that season.
That was when there was a waiver draft... that rule is no longer around... it was in place to prevent teams from 'hiding' players from a waiver draft...

and even then the rule was you could not trade for a player you traded before the waiver draft... picking the guy up on waivers would be totally different

and to everyone saying the Flames could/should pluck him off waivers... they can't they are at their 50 contract limit

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 08:14 PM
Flames 1st pick

Quote:
People get claimed off of waivers you know. Even if no one takes him now, they basically traded for an AHL player because there are quite a few teams that would claim him at half the cap hit on his way back up. Thats just too attractive for a team contemplating a playoff run looking for added depth. .
You are giving Sutter too much credit....he is a minor leaguer at best...if his name wasnt Sutter, nobody would have even noticed him.

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 08:15 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

Quote:
oh really? i didn't know that, thanks for the info

Ok look, we had just claimed Troy Bodie off waivers the day before we traded Kosto with this trade, knowing that Kosto was gone the next day, which looks like we planned already to send Sutter down when he got here. We have Bodie, Dwyer, and Tlusty on that 4th line now, and thats a great tough 4th line. No need for Sutter there at this point.

So what if we got an AHL player in the deal? AHL players are in deals all the time. White is better than Babs but Kosto is better than Sutter, so it evens out, really. Suuter will possibly get a callup this season, and like was said, if his salary is below 105,000 he doesnt go on re-entry waivers.

Anton Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 08:19 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Ritchey View Post
If the Islander claimed him, then waived him again, then he was claimed by Carolina, he wouldn't have to be waived (again) to be sent down to Charlotte, they had already went through that process, the wouldn't have to waive him again.
For some reason that doesn't sound right...If a player is claimed on waivers, he has to be kept on the NHL club for the season or, if they wish to send him to the minors, they must place him back on waivers so any NHL that would put in a claim could claim him...something like that.....I know there are waiver experts out there that could explain it...

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 08:20 PM
SDig14

What were you guys expecting? For Sutter to walk in and expect a spot on the Hurricanes from day 1?

He's playing in the AHL right now, and has been up and down all year...chances of him being claimed at this point is basically zero...might as well send him down, let him get conditioned (IIRC, he was banged up a bit?), let him play and develop his game a bit, and then see where he is later in the year or next year

Sutter gave him a pretty good opportunity because he seemingly passed some people on the depth chart to even have a shot this year in the NHL

SDig14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 08:29 PM
Cephalusc

Sutter's a good fourth line player. I don't expect he'll be claimed, but he's a better than a lot of other 4th liners in the NHL today. I was disappointed when the Flames traded him.

He'd be in the NHL with or without his father. He needed to get out of the Flames organization. As anyone can see in this thread, it's either "omg how could he trade his own son!" or "he wouldn't be in the NHL without his dad". He needs to get away from that BS.

Cephalusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 08:32 PM
Skobel24
#Ignited

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckWoods View Post
Wow.

Talk about really screwing your son.

Sutter trades his son, only to have him waived and left in the complete abyss of uncertainty. Hahah. Rediculous.
Wow, you are clueless.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 12:06 PM
impeach estaalo

He cleared.

Quote:
Sutter has cleared waivers
http://twitter.com/ice_chip

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 12:34 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinsky View Post
ZOMG, this is a sign nobody wants him! Now he's going to have to dye his hair black and write depressing poetry/songs or paint depressing pictures while he's on the bench in Charlotte!

Can we have this thread locked now?

garnetpalmetto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 12:39 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckWoods View Post
Wow.

Talk about really screwing your son.

Sutter trades his son, only to have him waived and left in the complete abyss of uncertainty. Hahah. Rediculous.
On the contrary. Assuming he clears and gets demoted, Brett Sutter has his lineage to thank for staying in the NHL as long as he did, I should think... which takes us right back to the whiff of nepotism that shouldn't belong in the pros. It would have been far better to let those guys develop elsewhere. Brandon Sutter is in a much healthier environment a couple of thousand miles away from Alberta. What he earns, he earns on his own.

There is nothing wrong with playing with and against brothers, as the first-generation Sutters all did, but when those guys graduated to NHL coaching and management positions, and their progeny started entering the league, it was inevitable that you would see the nepotism card waved when any of them came up through the family-managed farm system. Imagine what it's been like for that kid in the room, on a team coached and managed by a Sutter?

Hell, it's not even comfortable seeing a coach working for his brother in the coaching-management dynamic in Calgary.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 01:25 PM
N O T O R I O U S
╱█████★█████╲

vCash: 307
I feel sorry for Brett Sutter now

N O T O R I O U S is offline   Reply With Quote