HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Reasoning Behind Wearing Each Type of Skate

Old
11-20-2010, 05:30 AM
pass the bisk

vCash: 500
Reasoning Behind Wearing Each Type of Skate

Sorry, thread title may be a little confusing, but I can't really think of a good way to word this question. So, there has to be a reason why people wear different types of skates for on ice reasons right? I get that they have to fit right and all, but are there certain types of skates that certain skating styles wear? I found for the most part skates will usually fit comfortably no matter the brand (as long as you find the right size), so why is it people use certain brands?

Personally I found from switching to Bauers to Reeboks for a day that I was much faster, however, I almost fell over 15 times trying to go from forwards to backwards.

pass the bisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 08:13 AM
DevsFan84

Your experience with skate fittings is not a typical one. Most people have a brand that fits them better.

I'm thinking your issues with speed and transitions probably has more to do with the profile of the blades rather than the skate itself.

DevsFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 02:04 PM
iceman_88888888

different skate companies also offer different options. if you look at the higher end reebok skate, they have the pump so they fit more snug on the feet. when mission was around, they had a blade holder that allowed you to adjust the pitch of the skate. then you go to the higher end bauers that have what i think is a molded boot around the heel to keep your heel fixed into it.
regardless of what brand you go with, the best way to get a good fit and the best result is to choose a company and give them a mold of your foot and have them build a skate that fits your foot perfectly so you lose nothing in your stride... mind you, it costs a pretty penny to do so but my friends stand by their choice and i may do it at some point when i have a few extra hundred dollar bills to spend

iceman_88888888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 02:21 PM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

they were on sale....

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 02:36 PM
densetsu

I bought my Grafs because they were one of the few skates whose boot fit my foot comfortably. IMO, fit should be the #1 concern for everybody. After that, Grafs were also one of the few goalie skates that have a "traditional"-sized cowling instead of a low-cut one. (That's probably irrelevant, because with modern pads I've never taken a puck to the side of the foot, just the toe. Still, it instills a bit of confidence in my gear.) Also, I got a wicked deal on them, $250 for pro-level skates that were used for a few weeks.

Since I rarely skate in "regular" skates, I bought a pair of Sherwoods that fit well. They're entry-level skates, but I only skate in them maybe 10 hours a year, and at most in two hockey games. They fit well, and for my needs that's the biggest concern. Protection, performance, weight were all distant thoughts.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 02:37 PM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman_88888888 View Post
different skate companies also offer different options. if you look at the higher end reebok skate, they have the pump so they fit more snug on the feet. when mission was around, they had a blade holder that allowed you to adjust the pitch of the skate. then you go to the higher end bauers that have what i think is a molded boot around the heel to keep your heel fixed into it.
regardless of what brand you go with, the best way to get a good fit and the best result is to choose a company and give them a mold of your foot and have them build a skate that fits your foot perfectly so you lose nothing in your stride... mind you, it costs a pretty penny to do so but my friends stand by their choice and i may do it at some point when i have a few extra hundred dollar bills to spend
I've heard MLX skates do a great job at molding to the shape of your feet as well. Coupon code hfboards50 or youtube50 for 50% off on them.

I actually got a pair with the coupon but my foot is too wide (after they specifically say not to worry about width since it will mold to your foot). I sent them an e-mail so they told me to send a trace out of my foot with the dimensions and they're going to make a custom boot for me. Pretty sweet customer service after getting an awesome deal!

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 12:47 AM
shortcake

I bought my Supreme one30's cause they were on sale and i'm a Bauer *****.

i regret it now as i should bought something more mid range, the boots getting soft.

shortcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 01:10 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yeah it sounds like you went to a lower radius, which would give more ice contact for increased speed but less turning ability.

Different skates are mostly different foot types. Get a skate that fits tight and properly, and then adjust the profile for your tastes.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote