HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skate lacing question.

Old
11-22-2010, 01:26 PM
tobyandmisty

vCash: 500
Skate lacing question.

I have read the "proper way to lace an ice hockey skate" but how come I see some players with their tonques hanging over almost like the skate is not tight to the top?

Has anyone noticed any difference in their skating when they lace it differently then the regular way?

tobyandmisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 01:33 PM
blueberrydanish

Someone ppl dont do the top 2 eyelets or so. I have been told it gives more mobility in the ankles.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 02:27 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Some guys like extra long tongues that they can flop over to look like their favorite NHL players. And some skates are so stiff that some guys like to skip one or two eyelets to be able to bend their knees and ankles properly.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 03:32 PM
Badger36

Lacing your skates looser towards the top gives you more ankle flexibility. It does require you to have fairly strong ankles in order to maintain a proper edge though.
Personally, I lace my skates all the way up, but I lace the top 3 eyelets only moderately snug.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 03:41 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Pros who like to have the tongue hanging out have custom longer tongues on their skates so that they can flop the tongue out like that. Some players, as mentioned, don't lace their skates to the top eyelet.

SERE 24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 06:40 PM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
I flop my tongues and skip the top eyelet. It makes a world of difference in my skating. You do need strong ankles to skip eyelets though. First time I skipped eyelets I felt like my ankles would snap at any moment.

I have One80's which are pretty dang stiff, so when I laced up all the way it prevented my lower shins from leaning forward too far so I didn't get a very good knee bend. I tried skipping the top eyelet one day and I it increased the knee bend I could achieve tremendously. I tried lacing my skates up all the way a week later and I could get zero knee bend with how stiff they are.

As for flopping, the tongue does hinder the forward bend a slight bit too, so it's easier to just bend it down and keep it out of the way for good. If you tuck your tongues under your shins that'll kill your forward bend too if your skates are too stiff.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote