HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sit Scott Gomez

Old
11-19-2010, 12:14 PM
habspinner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
It's not "You really think like that", it's "It's really how it is".

The habs are worth a lot of money, but Molson also paid a lot to get the team. Pretty sure the habs go under in any given season they don't make the playoffs by like 1-2M. Not a huge deal, and Molson has the pockets to shoulder that loss. That doesn't mean he will though. There's just no way they spend 7M over the cap... forget about it, it's not going to happen.
New Jersey at present is doing exactly that. Vancouver is doing similar, as well as the Rangers. Teams do pay over the cap, teams do lose money burying salary. The Habs can survive it just fine, now whether or not they choose to, is an entirely different story.

habspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 12:27 PM
Markovskaya

Right now, Gomez contract is starting to look even worst then Drury's this year:

Drury point last season: 34
Drury Salary: 7,050M$
$ per point: 220,313 $

Gomez projected points for 10-11 season: 26 (!!!!!, !!!!!!!!)
Gomez Salary: 7,357M$
$ per point: 284,112$

PS. BTW Drury plays on the 4th line in NYC.

Last edited by Markovskaya: 11-19-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Markovskaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 12:29 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markovskaya View Post
Right now, Gomez contract is starting to look even WORST then Drury this year:

Drury point last season: 34
Drury Salary: 7,050M$
$ per point: 220,313 $

Gomez projected points for 10-11 season: 26 (!!!!!, !!!!!!!!)
Gomez Salary: 7,357M$
$ per point: 284,112$

There is still 63 games to go.... And Gomez can get one point a game in that span... Let's hope.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 12:35 PM
Markovskaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
There is still 63 games to go.... And Gomez can get one point a game in that span... Let's hope.
Yeah I believe he will be able to turn it around at least a bit before the end of the season. But if he doesn't, he's going to have less points then Roman and Josh :|

Old
11-19-2010, 12:44 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by habspinner View Post
The Habs can survive it just fine, now whether or not they choose to, is an entirely different story.
And that's exactly my argument -- if they deem it's the best move, they owe it to the fan base to write off the expense and give us the best team on the ice possible (as opposed to just looking at it as a profit / loss perspective )

Doesn't the community deserve it with all the support we give them? Plus they would be better taking a short term loss for a long term gain (assuming we use the 7.3 cap for players that will produce more than Gomez).

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 12:54 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Any payments towards debt is a piss droplet in the sea http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aoam4J3tfX6E
The $100 million from the government is still a loan, not a gift. Loans have to be repaid with both interest and prinicipal. There is nothing insignificant about repaying $550 million.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 12:58 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
How the heck is benching the guy for a game or two impossible?

Again, forget the contract.

Our second line center has 6 points in 19 games.

That's a pace of 26 points on the season....

I don't care who you are or what you make, if you're getting 18 minutes a night and PP time and you have the same number of points as Mike Komisarek, there has to be repercussions.

Obviously, Martin knows the team better than we do, but to me I see the same problems in reverse.

The team is playing well, everyone is pulling their weight, except for one guy.

What message does it send Lars Eller or Benoit Pouliot? They see themselves getting benched for every little mistake, but Gomez is free to do virtually nothing for a quarter season without missing a shift?
What kind of message does it send? The message that you're a rookie and that when you've earned enough respect in the league that you've got a Stanley Cup ring on your fingers, then I'll decide to make the leash longer than it is.

I really don't understand all the criticizing of Martin we hear regarding this. Young players are supposed to be on a much shorter leash than vets. Is that such a difficult concept for all these vastly knowledgeable HF people to get into their dense heads?

What kind of message does it send if he benches him, that the minute a long time vet has a bad start he'll be benched in favor of a raw rookie? Yeah that's a much better situation than putting rookies who haven't yet proven anything yet on a short leash.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 01:01 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
It's what I heard on RDS before the playoffs last season. Are the habs feeding RDS a bunch of BS ? Is RDS feeding us a bunch of BS? Did I imagine it ? I don't know, and it really doesn't matter because the habs would never spend an extra 7M they don't have to spend. Especially since that 7M wouldn't necessarily produce results (likely would, but no way to know) and could potential upset chemistry and have the reverse effect.
The media being misinformed or spreading misinformation? Impossible the media has never once lied or done anything unethical before.

Old
11-19-2010, 01:04 PM
Markovskaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
The media being misinformed or spreading misinformation? Impossible the media has never once lied or done anything unethical before.
Impossible the media has never once lied or done anything unethical before.
has never once lied or done anything unethical before.
lied or done anything unethical before.
anything unethical before.
unethical before.

Old
11-19-2010, 01:08 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub City Hab View Post
The $100 million from the government is still a loan, not a gift. Loans have to be repaid with both interest and prinicipal. There is nothing insignificant about repaying $550 million.
First they got financing that was better than the govt. offering; 2nd, it's not 550 that have to repay.

we do not know the details of the loan, and the repayment schedule; but I'm quite sure the terms and interest rate is very favorable and in the grand spectrum of their business, a very marginal cost.

Old
11-19-2010, 01:11 PM
Lucius

Quote:
What kind of message does it send? The message that you're a rookie and that when you've earned enough respect in the league that you've got a Stanley Cup ring on your fingers, then I'll decide to make the leash longer than it is.

I really don't understand all the criticizing of Martin we hear regarding this. Young players are supposed to be on a much shorter leash than vets. Is that such a difficult concept for all these vastly knowledgeable HF people to get into their dense heads?

What kind of message does it send if he benches him, that the minute a long time vet has a bad start he'll be benched in favor of a raw rookie? Yeah that's a much better situation than putting rookies who haven't yet proven anything yet on a short leash.
I totally agree rookies should be on a shorter leash.

But it appears Gomez may not actually have a leash.

Good teams hold the entire roster accountable for their performances.

Having a cup ring earns Gomez more slack, but there has to be a point when he reaches the end of the team's patience.

Are we there yet? Maybe not, but when do we hit that point?

What if he scores 5 points in the next 20? If we hit the midway point of the season and he has 10 points, what do we do? If we hit the trade deadline and he has 12? If we reach the playoffs and he has 15?

Your argument sounds like you'd keep him on that second line for the rest of this year whether or not he ever gets another point.

Hopefully he snaps out of it and gets 60 points this year, but it's not like he's narrowly under performing right now. He's drastically under performing. He's scoring less than some of our 4th liners. There comes a point when it stops being "a slow start" and turns into a "train wreck of a year" if he doesn't get it going.

Where is that point?

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 01:14 PM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:

Having a cup ring earns Gomez more slack, but there has to be a point when he reaches the end of the team's patience.

What if he scores 5 points in the next 20? If we hit the midway point of the season and he has 10 points, what do we do? If we hit the trade deadline and he has 12? If we reach the playoffs and he has 15?

Hopefully he snaps out of it and gets 60 points this year, but it's not like he's narrowly under performing right now. He's drastically under performing. There comes a point when it stops being "a slow start" and turns into a "train wreck of a year" if he doesn't get it going.

Where is that point?
Depends on how the team is doing? IDK.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 01:18 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
Depends on how the team is doing? IDK.
It shouldn't.

Good teams are proactive and fix problems before they send the team into a nose dive.

To me it's absurd to see something glaringly wrong and just let it slide because the team is winning games. They're doing well, but they're not exactly breaking records either.

It stands to reason that if Gomez had 15-20 points right now, the team would be winning even more games.

Old
11-19-2010, 01:23 PM
neofury*

Quote:

At some point, something has to give.

Where is that point?
Fair enough, I guess the point I'm making is that we haven't reached that point yet. I can't think of a good example off the top of my head but I do remember some players playing terribly for the first 40 games and making up the other 90% of their points in the final 40 games. Not saying it's an ideal situation and it's hardly a positive thing to have a guy who is basically not working as hard as he could be. But it's the same old Gomez out there, in all honesty up until recently he either only had one line mate to play with or his line mates simply weren't scoring. I saw times where Gomez gave feeds to people with wide open nets and they didn't bury them.

Now if we want to complain that the guy can't score fair enough, but we knew what we were getting when we got him. Now that we have him it's hard to fault him for that, if I would fault anyone it would be Gainey for making the decision to sign him. Who knows if we'd have Cammy and Gionta right now though and if we didn't I know for sure we wouldn't be a better team right now and who knows maybe the lack of Cammy leads even Plek to sign somewhere else or be paid 2+ million more per season to stay.

Like Gomez or not, a lot of good came from landing him. Like I said we knew what we were getting. I'm not defending his current production or even how he's played lately. But for most of the season up until the last 5 or 6 games I find he was actually playing well but like I mentioned Gio wasn't burying chances that should have been buried. Top it off with Moen being on his line or Pyatt... That having been said lately he's looked like **** out there, to me that's a sign that he's lost confidence. Like a lot of us showed Price support when he was having confidence issues we should do the same for Gomez and he could possibly turn it around. It's tough when you know the entire city you play for despises you, especially when imo he didn't play nearly as bad as stats and HF posters lead on early in the season. Truthfully even know he has every right to be not producing, he's been playing with different people all the time, no chemistry, he's been playing with at least 1 guy sometimes even 2 who can't shoot or who are on a cold streak. For a pure playmaker it's tough. I don't doubt if you put him on a line with a hot sniper he'd have gotten much more points by now.

In the end it is excuses and Gomez needs to step up especially after his last couple games where the team has been mostly solid. But to merely brush the deal off as crap or to get mad that he isn't scoring, to me it isn't fair. We knew what we were getting in Gomez, if our coach doesn't want to pair him with people who can score he won't produce. He's not the kind of player that will carry a team or a line we all know that, he's the kind of player who needs to be on a solid line with chemistry in order to. I love Martin and I have to say the reasoning behind this imo is proper development of young players, once Gomez gets a solid line I think he'll produce and all will be forgotten. I think Jacques is looking at long term, he wants Pouliot to be strong at all aspects of the game so when he puts him with Gio and Gomez he's earned the spot and works hard to keep it.

I think sadly these are the factors for Gomez in short:

1) Line mates who can't score or are on cold streaks
2) No consistency in line mates
3) Never really played on a line this year with 2 top 6 players. Even Pouliot wasn't playing like he can play back when he was on that line.

I'm not saying it isn't partially Scott's fault too, I just think people are being a little hard on him. He's loved in the locker room, he's a team player, he's got great upside when given the right circumstances and is on his game. We know he'll show up when it really counts too. I say we give him a bit more of a chance then we are. I know the salary is hard to swallow but I just think now the reason we're seeing him play even worse is the confidence. Once he gets it back and we see a solidified second line I think he'll be fine.

PS: Sorry for the long read, the jist of my post starts at the 1, 2, 3 part.

Last edited by neofury*: 11-19-2010 at 01:29 PM.
Old
11-19-2010, 01:25 PM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
It shouldn't.

Good teams are proactive and fix problems before they send the team into a nose dive.

To me it's absurd to see something glaringly wrong and just let it slide because the team is winning games. They're doing well, but they're not exactly breaking records either.

It stands to reason that if Gomez had 15-20 points right now, the team would be winning even more games.
I agree. I'm not saying it's right or wrong. But it may have a bearing on what transpires when. As I said earlier in the thread, I'd give him the "Hamrlik treatment" for now and the sooner the better. Right now he's managed to drag down his linemates so I too would rather see a proactive move before he drags the team down. As already mentioned if he can't do something soon life is just going to get harder and harder for Pleks.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 01:30 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Sitting Gomez is not only impossible, it is also counter productive. Putting him in the stands is dumb... But not as much as trading to get him !
This

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 01:40 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Fair enough, I guess the point I'm making is that we haven't reached that point yet. I can't think of a good example off the top of my head but I do remember some players playing terribly for the first 40 games and making up the other 90% of their points in the final 40 games. Not saying it's an ideal situation and it's hardly a positive thing to have a guy who is basically not working as hard as he could be. But it's the same old Gomez out there, in all honesty up until recently he either only had one line mate to play with or his line mates simply weren't scoring. I saw times where Gomez gave feeds to people with wide open nets and they didn't bury them.

Now if we want to complain that the guy can't score fair enough, but we knew what we were getting when we got him. Now that we have him it's hard to fault him for that, if I would fault anyone it would be Gainey for making the decision to sign him. Who knows if we'd have Cammy and Gionta right now though and if we didn't I know for sure we wouldn't be a better team right now and who knows maybe the lack of Cammy leads even Plek to sign somewhere else or be paid 2+ million more per season to stay.

Like Gomez or not, a lot of good came from landing him. Like I said we knew what we were getting. I'm not defending his current production or even how he's played lately. But for most of the season up until the last 5 or 6 games I find he was actually playing well but like I mentioned Gio wasn't burying chances that should have been buried. Top it off with Moen being on his line or Pyatt... That having been said lately he's looked like **** out there, to me that's a sign that he's lost confidence. Like a lot of us showed Price support when he was having confidence issues we should do the same for Gomez and he could possibly turn it around. It's tough when you know the entire city you play for despises you, especially when imo he didn't play nearly as bad as stats and HF posters lead on early in the season. Truthfully even know he has every right to be not producing, he's been playing with different people all the time, no chemistry, he's been playing with at least 1 guy sometimes even 2 who can't shoot or who are on a cold streak. For a pure playmaker it's tough. I don't doubt if you put him on a line with a hot sniper he'd have gotten much more points by now.

In the end it is excuses and Gomez needs to step up especially after his last couple games where the team has been mostly solid. But to merely brush the deal off as crap or to get mad that he isn't scoring, to me it isn't fair. We knew what we were getting in Gomez, if our coach doesn't want to pair him with people who can score he won't produce. He's not the kind of player that will carry a team or a line we all know that, he's the kind of player who needs to be on a solid line with chemistry in order to. I love Martin and I have to say the reasoning behind this imo is proper development of young players, once Gomez gets a solid line I think he'll produce and all will be forgotten. I think Jacques is looking at long term, he wants Pouliot to be strong at all aspects of the game so when he puts him with Gio and Gomez he's earned the spot and works hard to keep it.

I think sadly these are the factors for Gomez in short:

1) Line mates who can't score or are on cold streaks
2) No consistency in line mates
3) Never really played on a line this year with 2 top 6 players. Even Pouliot wasn't playing like he can play back when he was on that line.

I'm not saying it isn't partially Scott's fault too, I just think people are being a little hard on him. He's loved in the locker room, he's a team player, he's got great upside when given the right circumstances and is on his game. We know he'll show up when it really counts too. I say we give him a bit more of a chance then we are. I know the salary is hard to swallow but I just think now the reason we're seeing him play even worse is the confidence. Once he gets it back and we see a solidified second line I think he'll be fine.

PS: Sorry for the long read, the jist of my post starts at the 1, 2, 3 part.
I am not whining about the deal, or the contract, to be clear.

I wouldn't trade the run last year in. I don't actually think that trade for him was as dumb as many thought.

But the past is the past and the present is now.

You raise a fair point about him having crap line mates this year, but two caveats there: Are they crap because they were playing poorly, or is his style dragging them down? Gionta was ice cold, and was fine as soon as he changed lines. Kostitsyn was red hot, and went ice cold as soon as he changed lines.

And bad linemates can be blamed for a dip in points. It cannot explain his current totals.

He has one more point than Moen (one of his "bad" line mates) and Darche. He has one less point than Gorges and Spacek.

Some other players around the NHL with six points:

- Mike Komisarek
- Matt Bradley
- Brad Marchand
- Adam Hall
- Cody McCormick
- Guillaume Latendresse (only 8 GP!)
- Shawn Matthias
- Patrick Dwyer
- Mike Santorelli
- Derek Dorsett
- Ryan Shannon

Now I was a bit selective there, there are some good players over the long term still at that level (Brian Rafalski, a few rookies like Pjaarvi and Turris), but the only healthy guy (Parise, but he barely played and Latendresse) on that list playing anywhere other than a 4th line (or a rookie) is Devin Setoguchi. Who is having an equally horrific start.

He's being dramatically outscored by such offensive luminaries as Ruslan Fedotenko, Derek Stepan, Peter Regin, and Marty Reasoner. Benoit Pouliot has put up way more points on the 3rd line for us, even.

Marty Reasoner has almost double his points and that guy has to play on a line with MARTY REASONER!

This isn't a minor slump. I'm not whining that he got 50 points instead of 60. At this stage, I'd expect more than six points out of a defensemen or a 4th liner. And most the league is getting that.

This is an outright catastrophic start.

Last edited by Lucius: 11-19-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Old
11-19-2010, 01:44 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
It shouldn't.

You want us to be proactive?...How about suggesting reuniting Gomez-Gionta-Pouliot. How about removing Lappy from there...what the heck is he still doing there??...You have Gomez playing like a bottom liner, you have another bottom liner and then you have A.Ko....Humm...Dayum...Surprise surprise that line looks like crap.

How about giving Eller some PP time to see how he can fair of offensively. If he does well, then perhaps give him Pouliot-A.Ko and bring Gomez down to 3rd or 4th line.

But no, you're jumping straight to a healthy scratch, and not just for 1 game but 3-4. That's a little too excessive, but then again, it's you talking about Gomez. You've been on his case for..??..
Scratching Gomez will do nothing, nothing at all. I really don't understand the ''scratch him'' idea as if it were some type of solution. For a youngster that seems to be getting off tracks, then yea, it might help set him straight again. But for a veteran??...When has it ever been a good time..?

Gomez is not an idiot. He's not walking around thinking he doesn't need to do anything, taking life easy, telling Martin to bring out the red carpet every time he enters the locker room. You saw it when he scored his last goal, he had a huge sign of relief on his face. He has 3pts in his last 4Games, making a reactionary thread after a game where EVERYONE looked like crap except Eller/Pyatt, is classic HF.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 02:03 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
This isn't a minor slump. I'm not whining that he got 50 points instead of 60.

very true. Think about it, we could have 5 dominic moore's for the price of 1 gomez. LOL

But what will end up happening is he'll find a groove and all his supporters will come out with the " in the last 50 games of the year he had X points, making him 13th in the league of all centers" during that time frame lol.

To that I say, no **** that will happen... Give Gomez enough ice time and quality wingers and yes, he will eventually find a groove and have a few 3 or 4 point games to help him up his average. But the same would be true if you put a Dominic Moore in replacement! I wonder how many points Koivu would get!

I do like Gomez to a degree and I'm sure he'll help us in the PO though; it's quite possible it could be one of those years where he puts up nothing in the RS and breaks out in the PO... who knows.

But at the end of the day, this is not the kind of return we should get on his investment and as much as some posters pass off the " who gives a **** about cap hit" argument there won't be much inclination for major changes on the Gomez front so long as he contributes "something" either in the RS or PO. Unless of course resentment kicks in from the fan base and the team starts losing, that pressure could bring management and ownership to make change. Until then, as long as people sit on their hands and accept the gomez status quo, he'll be getting his ice time until someone else steals it (Eller in a yr or two hopefully) and once that happens, he'll be the highest paid bottom 6 player in the league.

I just don't get why such a large market team has to go down such a passive route of status quo in terms of dealing with his contract. Mistakes are made all the time in business and it's very normal to write off expenses by replacing it with better solutions.

Old
11-19-2010, 02:14 PM
Seifer

Gomez, right now, is in pace for 26 points this season... That, my friends is 308 000 $$$$$$ by point.... hands down the worst contract in the history of contracts!

Seifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 02:15 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by habspinner View Post
New Jersey at present is doing exactly that. Vancouver is doing similar, as well as the Rangers. Teams do pay over the cap, teams do lose money burying salary. The Habs can survive it just fine, now whether or not they choose to, is an entirely different story.
And some teams don't even spend to the cap, your point ?

I'd be shocked if the habs buried Gomez's contract. He'd have to suck that much for the rest of the season plus part of the next one. And we'd need to have a plan in place with a player available to take his spot and do better. Just not happening.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 02:16 PM
neofury*

Quote:
I am not whining about the deal, or the contract, to be clear.

I wouldn't trade the run last year in. I don't actually think that trade for him was as dumb as many thought.

But the past is the past and the present is now.

You raise a fair point about him having crap line mates this year, but two caveats there: Are they crap because they were playing poorly, or is his style dragging them down? Gionta was ice cold, and was fine as soon as he changed lines. Kostitsyn was red hot, and went ice cold as soon as he changed lines.

And bad linemates can be blamed for a dip in points. It cannot explain his current totals.

He has one more point than Moen (one of his "bad" line mates) and Darche. He has one less point than Gorges and Spacek.

Some other players around the NHL with six points:

- Mike Komisarek
- Matt Bradley
- Brad Marchand
- Adam Hall
- Cody McCormick
- Guillaume Latendresse (only 8 GP!)
- Shawn Matthias
- Patrick Dwyer
- Mike Santorelli
- Derek Dorsett
- Ryan Shannon

Now I was a bit selective there, there are some good players over the long term still at that level (Brian Rafalski, a few rookies like Pjaarvi and Turris), but the only healthy guy (Parise, but he barely played and Latendresse) on that list playing anywhere other than a 4th line (or a rookie) is Devin Setoguchi. Who is having an equally horrific start.

He's being dramatically outscored by such offensive luminaries as Ruslan Fedotenko, Derek Stepan, Peter Regin, and Marty Reasoner. Benoit Pouliot has put up way more points on the 3rd line for us, even.

Marty Reasoner has almost double his points and that guy has to play on a line with MARTY REASONER!

This isn't a minor slump. I'm not whining that he got 50 points instead of 60. At this stage, I'd expect more than six points out of a defensemen or a 4th liner. And most the league is getting that.

To be fair I was more-so making a point about how playing with 2/3 of a line is tough for anyone. You do bring up a valid point about players being cold when shifted to his line but the thing is any player will play poorly with 2/3 of a line. Problem is that 3rd player imo. They aren't at the same offensive level as Gomez and Gio or Gomez and Kostitsyn. The players having luck outside of the 2nd line are typically having luck on the Plek line along with another top 6 player.

Like I said it isn't that I'm saying Gomez is 100% not to blame, it's just I don't feel he deserves as much blame as he's getting. In the last 5 or so games I agree he's been pretty bad but before that he was playing his game just like before and because it wasn't showing up on the score sheet everyone and their brother was ragging on the guy. So now obviously his confidence is shot, it would've been already hard enough to keep it going with the production he's had having the fans backing him, let alone without them backing him.

Because he's the center though and Plek is playing so good he's the only player on that line who hasn't been given a chance on the A line. I think if he played with Gio + Cammalleri or Cammalleri + Plek on a regular basis he'd put up points as well. Since he isn't and he's been the guy consistently stuck with a 4th liner as one of his line mates though he ends up having the poor stats and taking the blame, I just don't think it's fair.

People have been bringing up a lot of good and valid points and I'm not necessarily saying anyone is wrong, I just don't think he's been as bad as the stats show or as bad as people on HF have been stating he's been. Had Pouliot been playing the way he is now all season I think he Gio and Gomez would have been a much better click early on. The way I see it with Gomez is that he's a victim of Martin's style of player development so he's been stuck with 2/3 of a line all year. I don't blame Martin for this because I actually think he's good at developing players. I don't blame Gomez because he's caught in the middle of it all.

The last 5 or so games I do blame Gomez a lot more because I feel he's been less confident out there and it's showing, prior to that I felt he was the same Gomez but just wasn't getting lucky with the bounces and his line mates putting them away. Like I said before he's not a player who will carry a team or a line, we knew this when we got him, he's a chemistry type player who needs consistent line mates who are top 6 quality players. I know it doesn't speak much for his own skill set but not everyone is Tomas Plekanec. We knew what we were getting when we traded for him, a center whose one dimensional offensively, he can't score but he can make nice plays. When your line mates aren't scoring and you can't score nothing good can come of that

Old
11-19-2010, 02:21 PM
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seifer View Post
Gomez, right now, is in pace for 26 points this season... That, my friends is 308 000 $$$$$$ by point.... hands down the worst contract in the history of contracts!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexei_...1.E2.80.932007

And BTW, benching Gomez... really? You think that's going to be the way to get him back into his game? REALLY? This is a guy who has been in this league for years.. Who knows something about slumps. You think benching is going to do anything? If anything it's just going to make matters worse. This isn't a rookie we are talking about.. Honestly, check the past, benching vets, doesn't really do anything, maybe a little message but one that the players will forgot after a game..

Id rather have Gomez playing, and try to get off his slump during a game.

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 02:24 PM
JayBee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
You don't send that message when the player your sending the message to is probably the most popular person in the dressing room and since he's joined your team, you've gone further in the playoffs than you have in 17 years and your currently in 1st place in your division.

What kind of message will that send to Cammalleri? He's our sniper and he's been somewhat slumpy this year. You really want to start mentally screwing with all of our star players when we are winning?
Someone with sense. I think the only time you think of sending Gomez down is after this year and you have absolutely no choice. You have a lot of money invested in him, get him a top 6 winger to play with for pete's sakes!

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 02:25 PM
Next Best Thing*

Benching Gomez are you(s) for real? Lets have our one line shut completely out.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote