HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you trade Doughty for Stamkos?

View Poll Results: Would you give up Doughty for Stamkos?
Yes, I would want Stamkos 40 33.33%
No, I would keep Doughty 80 66.67%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-19-2010, 09:12 AM
Orenji

vCash: 500
Would you trade Doughty for Stamkos?

First off, let me start by saying this is 100% hypothetical. There is 0 chance this would ever happen. I know the Lighting would never do this, and I don't think Lombardi would ever do it.

But to you guys, let's say the Lighting said, 'We'll give you Stamkos for Doughty. Straight up.'

Do you do it?

Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 09:29 AM
KingsRule

Send a message via AIM to KingsRule
without a doubt yes

KingsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 09:48 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
No, we need a franchise defenseman, not a franchise center, we already have one of those... I don't care about best individual players, I care about best assortment of players that gives us the greatest chance to win the Stanley Cup.

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 09:54 AM
Chazz
HFBoards Sponsor

100%

Chazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 09:57 AM
Defgarden

I think if you asked this towards the end of last season, most people would undoubtedly say no. Now that Doughty is in somewhat of a slump, and Stamkos is again leading the NHL in points and goals, a lot of people would say hell yes.

I'm gonna go ahead and say no. Doughty is slumping, but when he's on his game, I think he has a better impact on each and every game, and allows a much bigger cast of fowards to succeed through his play.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 09:58 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

No, purely because we have Kopitar.

My god at the people who think Doughty is slumping. This team has conceded 28 5 on 5 goals (not including EN's), Doughty has been on the ice for 3 of them, yes 3. He is also on pace for a 50 point season.

but no, people are right, he is slumping because he hasnt done his spin move in a while so therefore must be slumping

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 10:04 AM
Pucknut50

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post

My god at the people who think Doughty is slumping. This team has conceded 28 5 on 5 goals (not including EN's), Doughty has been on the ice for 3 of them, yes 3. He is also on pace for a 50 point season.

but no, people are right, he is slumping because he hasnt done his spin move in a while so therefore must be slumping
No but I would trade Kopitar for Stamkos in a second.

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 10:13 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Man are we fickle fans. In February we won't trade Doughty for 3 Stamkos'. But now that Doughty isn't playing like Bobby Orr and only like Larry Robinson we want to shunt him to the sideline for Stamkos?

Just wait another 20 games, post the poll again and it'll have switched around again.

Then do it 20 games after that and we'd "without a doubt yes" trade Doughty for Stamkos again.

Like our history isn't riddled with a legacy of trading great players away to early. Hypothetical or not, can't we keep this one and be happy we have him?

For what it's worth, I keep Doughty. Guys like Stamkos are great, I love his game, and would love him on LA but you get to the playoffs with Stamkos. You win cups with Doughty.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 10:22 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucknut50 View Post
No but I would trade Kopitar for Stamkos in a second.
well obviously, who wouldnt?

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 10:25 AM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Franchise dmen are harder to find than scores. Not that I don't think Stamkos is elite, but you can score by committee without an elite player a lot easier than you can play amazing defense, IMO. They both can change the game, but in separate ways.

I think the great thing about Doughty, he can score, too. He obviously won't put up Stamkos numbers, but look at his point total last year. A lot of forwards would have killed to have his point total. He had 3 points the other night, and can play great defense. Can Stamkos say the same? I'm not sure how he is at his own end of the ice.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 10:26 AM
BigKing
Spot Picker

You don't do it as you would not want to disrupt the chemistry this team has; with that being said, Stamkos is proving that he was deserving of his #1 ranking going into the 2008 draft.

If LA would of had the #1, I think they take Stamkos even though most around here think he would have taken Doughty anyways. Then in the next season, LA would of had a better pick than #5 and you probably take Hedman or OEL and add them to the stable of young defensemen already here.

Either way, nobody from either fan base is complaining. This question has been asked numerous times and it usually comes up in a situation like now with Stamkos crushing it or say post-Olympics when Doughty became Canada's favorite hard-on.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 10:40 AM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

... I wouldn't do it. Stamkos is a wonderful player, and I think the World of him. But even in this day and age, there's something to be said for continuity and keeping the nucleus of the team together. Doughty is poised to be a leader of this team - and the one player that, in the coming years, people will identify with the Kings. Drew Doughty will become the face of this franchise one day soon (if he isn't already). He should absolutely not be traded away unless the organization has no choice but to do so.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 10:41 AM
Defgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post

He's playing well, but he isn't playing like the Norris finalist we had last season. That's what he'll be compared against, always and forever.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 10:52 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Nope.

I would trade their respective starts for eachother, of course, but I would not trade the career Doughty is bound to have for the one Stamkos is... not taking anything away from Stamkos either. He is a ****ing gangster and I love watching him play. But when both are on top of their games I'd rather have Doughty every time.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 10:59 AM
SLang

If I was a short-term planner, yes. But I'm not, I look long-term, so no.

I have issues with Doughty's conditioning coming into this season, and I do believe that in his own mind he thought he was ready or that it was going to be easy. Well, I think he's found that's not the case and I believe he is smart enough to learn from it. He's got a taste of winning, for example Canada's gold medal, and once you get that taste the appetite does not go away. I firmly believe he will lead the Kings to the Cup.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 11:00 AM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defgarden View Post
He's playing well, but he isn't playing like the Norris finalist we had last season. That's what he'll be compared against, always and forever.
i honestly think it may go a bit deeper than that... as long as there remains any lingering memories that Dean basically all but said he'd have taken Doughty over Stamkos had the Kings had the first pick, there'll be that comparison.

i feel that if he truly and honestly believes that, he's higher than a kite, but that doesn't mean i'd trade Doughty for Stamkos now... there's just NO WAY i'd take Drew over him were i actually able to select on or the other on draft day.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 11:16 AM
Winger23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defgarden View Post
While I understand what you are saying, Doughty has looked much better on the offensive side of things these past 2 games. Coming off a concusion sure didn't help him get into the swing of things to start this season, but he just had 3 assists last game (might have had a goal had Zues not tapped it in behind the goalie) and a goal the previous game. He's been much more active on the PP, shooting down the wing to get cross ice passes from Kopi, which opens up Kopi as well.

Stamkos is a beast, but Defensemen of Doughty's caliber are more rare that 1st line forwards. Obviously the Kings need a true first line player to play with Kopi. Sure Stamkos would fill that slot perfectly, but then everyone would be talking how the Kings need a #1 D-Man. I think it's easier to get the first line forward than a #1 defensemen any day of the week.

With that said, I'd take Doughty over Stamkos.

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 11:18 AM
son of earl

Send a message via AIM to son of earl
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
i honestly think it may go a bit deeper than that... as long as there remains any lingering memories that Dean basically all but said he'd have taken Doughty over Stamkos had the Kings had the first pick, there'll be that comparison.

i feel that if he truly and honestly believes that, he's higher than a kite, but that doesn't mean i'd trade Doughty for Stamkos now... there's just NO WAY i'd take Drew over him were i actually able to select on or the other on draft day.
He wouldn't take Doughty 1st overall. He would of trade down to the 2nd overall and then taken Doughty.

son of earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 11:18 AM
Jebus
That boulder?

That's a tough question. When you watch Stamkos he doesn't really take over games the way Crosby, Malkin or Ovechkin can. He doesn't make his teammates better the way Thornton or Getzlaf do, and he doesn't control all 200 feet of the ice and 60 minutes of the game the way Datsyuk can.

But then you look at the stats he's putting up and remember how young the kid is and it's hard to argue against him.

I do, however, think that he wouldn't produce nearly as much if he played in a division (or Conference) that actually bothered defending. I also never realized how good St. Louis is until I started watching more Tampa games this season. Not holding it against the kid, just some factors that cross my mind as I ponder the poll question.

I would probably keep Doughty but Stamkos is pretty damn amazing.

Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 12:59 PM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

Has Stamkos scored on the Kings?

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 01:03 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

TB fan, who respects both players ability a lot, so I understand why some people would say no but 78%? That's flat out stunning. Stamkos is exactly what you guys need and you'd still have JJ on the back end. Plus, you could probably trade one of your other forwards in a package for a good d...

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 01:10 PM
wabwat

Quote:
Originally Posted by son of earl View Post
He wouldn't take Doughty 1st overall. He would of trade down to the 2nd overall and then taken Doughty.
which would have been even dumber.

Old
11-19-2010, 01:15 PM
OK Computer

Defense is more important than Offense in the playoffs. How many times do goalscorers disappoint in the playoffs? How many times do big time Dmen disappoint? And how many times do those Dmen rise to the occasion and shine?

OK Computer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 01:27 PM
SLang

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
TB fan, who respects both players ability a lot, so I understand why some people would say no but 78%? That's flat out stunning. Stamkos is exactly what you guys need and you'd still have JJ on the back end. Plus, you could probably trade one of your other forwards in a package for a good d...
I think most people here are clear that Stamkos is an amazing and respected player and you guys are lucky to have him, and we would LOVE to have him.

78% is not really stunning when you take all the factors into account. I think most people agree that epic defensmen are harder to come by than dangerous snipers. Doughty wants to be a King, whereas even now the jury is still out as to how much Johnson really wants to be here. I think many are banking on Doughty's leadership as well, whereas JJ is a bit of a question mark there (although that's merely a supposition). The trade you mentioned has the potential to make the team D good, whereas Doughty has proven that when he's on his game he can make it great.

If you think 78% is stunning, watch what happens if/when Doughty really turns it on this year, regardless of what Stamkos does. It'll probably go to 98% against.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 01:35 PM
wabwat

Quote:
Originally Posted by OK Computer View Post
Defense is more important than Offense in the playoffs. How many times do goalscorers disappoint in the playoffs? How many times do big time Dmen disappoint? And how many times do those Dmen rise to the occasion and shine?

not for nothing but, last season's Norris trophy winner leaned more towards 'disappoint' than the other way, as he was far from Chicago's best blueliner... i thought Seabrook outplayed him.

and Jonathan Toews was pretty **** and balls, so...