HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Would you trade Doughty for Stamkos?

View Poll Results: Would you give up Doughty for Stamkos?
Yes, I would want Stamkos 40 33.33%
No, I would keep Doughty 80 66.67%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-19-2010, 01:51 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OK Computer View Post
Defense is more important than Offense in the playoffs.
... This is a myth. Offense and defense are of equal importance, both in the regular season and in the playoffs. In fact, if you look at the past quarter-century of Cup winners, you'll find more offense there than defense.

Goalies and defensemen disappoint in the playoffs just as often as scorers do, and just as offense can go into a slump, so can defense.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 01:52 PM
ibleedkings
Is this real?

Remember Stamkos reaction when he found out Tampa got the pick over the Kings? He seemed pretty upset.

ibleedkings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 02:10 PM
no name

I'm more of a fan of defenseman so I choose DD. As it has been mentioned, elite defenseman are more important that elite centers.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 02:12 PM
Shellz

Hell no.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 02:13 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
I'm more of a fan of defenseman so I choose DD. As it has been mentioned, elite defenseman are more important that elite centers.

teams have won the cup without an elite defensemand... a little tougher to do without that presence up the middle.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 02:35 PM
Haik

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
teams have won the cup without an elite defensemand... a little tougher to do without that presence up the middle.
Let's wait till Stamkos makes the playoffs before we hand him the conn smythe.

Haik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 03:13 PM
wabwat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haik View Post
Let's wait till Stamkos makes the playoffs before we hand him the conn smythe.
i wasn't handing anyone anything... and if that's the case, let's wait until Doughty goes on a diet before we hand him anything.

Old
11-19-2010, 03:18 PM
OK Computer

Quote:
not for nothing but, last season's Norris trophy winner leaned more towards 'disappoint' than the other way, as he was far from Chicago's best blueliner... i thought Seabrook outplayed him.

and Jonathan Toews was pretty **** and balls, so...
Because the Blackhawks were a complete team (minus goaltending) who had elite guys up front as well as an elite defense with a bunch of tough, gritty guys who do the dirty work. You look at what the Caps are doing in Washington and then take a look at the playoff career of one Chris Pronger and what goes on when he joins a good team, and at that point it's pretty obvious to me which side a team needs to lean towards as far as being O vs D oriented. Both are needed though, as you don't see heavily offensive teams or heavily defensive teams winning the Cup too often. You need to be a complete, elite team to win it all anyways, and in that scenario I prefer to have an elite Dman as opposed to a forward (either is more than enough to win it all though, just a preference.) At this point it looks like whatever team has Stamkos on it is going to be perfectly fine if the rest of their roster is filled out, I just prefer our guy.

OK Computer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 03:32 PM
DeeMeck

vCash: 50
It is easier to come up with a game plan to stop a forward in a 7-game series.

If Stamkos isn't scoring...he isn't doing his job.

It is harder to stop a great dman from doing his thing.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 03:35 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

I honestly don't think I've ever seen more cliches in a thread than this

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 03:37 PM
KingsCast

Send a message via AIM to KingsCast
I think a more interesting question is would you trade Doughty and Schenn for Stamkos and Hedman?

KingsCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 03:41 PM
Robert604strom

To me either way it would be a win win for each team. Depends what your looking for the best young defensemen that can do nearly anything he wants,or the best young forward and the best pure goal scorer in the nhl. I will still say id never see the kings doing it because Kopitar can score nearly the volume of Stamkos,and there is usually only one pure d-man like Doughty.

Robert604strom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 03:42 PM
wabwat

Quote:
Originally Posted by OK Computer View Post
Because the Blackhawks were a complete team (minus goaltending) who had elite guys up front as well as an elite defense with a bunch of tough, gritty guys who do the dirty work. You look at what the Caps are doing in Washington and then take a look at the playoff career of one Chris Pronger and what goes on when he joins a good team, and at that point it's pretty obvious to me which side a team needs to lean towards as far as being O vs D oriented. Both are needed though, as you don't see heavily offensive teams or heavily defensive teams winning the Cup too often. You need to be a complete, elite team to win it all anyways, and in that scenario I prefer to have an elite Dman as opposed to a forward (either is more than enough to win it all though, just a preference.) At this point it looks like whatever team has Stamkos on it is going to be perfectly fine if the rest of their roster is filled out, I just prefer our guy.
quick, name the elite Defenseman in Carolina... Tampa... Pittsburgh...

of the last 6 cup winners, the team with the weakest middle of the ice presence had BOTH Pronger and Niedermayer, a goaltender who had already won a Conn Smythe, and a former Norris trophy winner behind the bench.

Washington's problems extend much further than their defense. they need to find a way to figure out how to contain one of their own players' recklessness and make Backstrom the offensive conductor.

i love Doughty lots and i wouldn't trade him for Stamkos. but i'd have been a fool to choose him over Stamkos at number one.

Old
11-19-2010, 03:44 PM
no name

Quote:
There are more top flight centers than top flight defenseman littered through history.

Old
11-19-2010, 03:45 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsCast View Post
I think a more interesting question is would you trade Doughty and Schenn for Stamkos and Hedman?
In a heartbeat. I like Schenn but Hedman has a very good chance to be special.

Old
11-19-2010, 03:46 PM
wabwat

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
There are more top flight centers than top flight defenseman littered through history.
and throughout history, the game has always been won by having more goals for.

Old
11-19-2010, 03:47 PM
wabwat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsCast View Post
no way.

Old
11-19-2010, 03:50 PM
no name

Quote:
and throughout history, the game has always been won by having more goals for.
And defenseman's job is to not only stop centers from scoring, but to score themselves. This is fun.... I appreciate the dialogue

Old
11-19-2010, 03:50 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
no way.
Jesus man, you must think Doughty is untouchable. He's not responsible for the sun and the moon, ya know? I see a lot of idealistic fans here, I understand there are a lot of posters here who are probably relatively new to hockey, true on every board but perhaps more so here because of recent success, but NOBODY IS UNTOUCHABLE. Gretzky got traded and if I were GM of Tampa and it became necessary one day, I'd trade Stamkos.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 03:57 PM
Defgarden

Quote:
no way.
I'm curious as to why you would pick Stamkos at number 1, but wouldn't trade Doughty for him straight up. Doesn't seem like much of a difference really, in a hypothetical world.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 03:57 PM
Tadite

I think it's simple. I'm more likely to find a skilled center who may not be as good as Stamkos but can be close then I'm able to find the next DD.

I can find a center that's able to get 70pts on the first line. No way I'm going to find a d-man with goals in the teens, 50+ assists, and also shutting down the other guys top-line day in day out.

The rarest position in hockey is a franchise d-man.

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 04:01 PM
wabwat

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
Jesus man, you must think Doughty is untouchable. He's not responsible for the sun and the moon, ya know? I see a lot of idealistic fans here, I understand there are a lot of posters here who are probably relatively new to hockey, true on every board but perhaps more so here because of recent success, but NOBODY IS UNTOUCHABLE. Gretzky got traded and if I were GM of Tampa and it became necessary one day, I'd trade Stamkos.

have you read any of what i've been posting?

allow me to quickly recap...

1. i would have taken Stamkos over Doughty were i the one drafting for the Kings and had the 1st overall pick.

2. i wouldn't trade Doughty and Schenn for Stamkos and Hedman.

Old
11-19-2010, 04:02 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
I don't think we think Doughty is untouchable. You are talking to the fan base that received Gretzky in the trade you speak of. But, I think you're posts are much like ours. So you're coming to our boards (welcome by the way), stating that most of our fan base is "new" because we wouldn't take Stamkos over Doughty or Stamkos/Hedman over Doughty/Schenn? I've been a hockey fan and Kings fan for 20+ years, a lot longer than hockey has been in the state of Florida. It's all opinion. Of course you believe we should take your players over ours, that doesn't make either one of us right.

I was one of the people who wouldn't trade Doughty for Stamkos. My reasoning behind it (that you can see earlier in the thread) is that Doughty is an elite dman who can also score. Just the other night, he had 3 points in the game (assists on every goal we scored). He moves the puck up the ice. He contributes in all ways, which makes him a game changer. Now, Stamkos can score, he's proven that. But is he good on the other side of the rink? Can you say that Stamkos's D is as good as Doughty offensive game? I don't think so.

I think both teams are lucky. You don't see drafts that often where the 1 and 2 pick come out to be such huge successes so early in their careers.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 04:02 PM
wabwat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defgarden View Post
I'm curious as to why you would pick Stamkos at number 1, but wouldn't trade Doughty for him straight up. Doesn't seem like much of a difference really, in a hypothetical world.
just the decision i'd have made sitting in the 1st overall pick seat.

Old
11-19-2010, 04:05 PM
kingsfan77

It would be interesting to see how the rest of HF would view this trade.

kingsfan77 is offline   Reply With Quote