HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Ehrhoff Contract Extension Talks Ongoing

Old
10-24-2010, 06:57 PM
Wetcoaster

vCash: 500
Ehrhoff Contract Extension Talks Ongoing

Apparently talks have begun about extending Ehrhoff's contract between Gillis and his agent, Rick Curran. Definitely a player the Canucks want to keep and one who wants to stay in Vancouver.

As a pending UFA, he has some leverage so something around $4 million would seem to be where it might end up.

If Gillis' blueprint is offence from the back end then Ehrhoff has to be a priority signing.
"They have talked and that is between them," Ehrhoff says of his agent, Rick Curran, and Canucks general manager Mike Gillis. "I don't have anything more to say about that."

What Ehrhoff will say is that he very much wants to remain a Canuck.

"It's a first-class organization; they try to do everything for the players," he says. "The main thing is they are committed to winning. They want to build a championship team here and I want to be on a championship team. Like I said before, I like the city, I like the fans here and I would like to be here for a while."

Curran confirmed Sunday that the two sides have begun talking about an extension, but did not want to say much more than that.

"The reality is we have had a couple of discussions," Curran said. "The club has made a definite overture that they would like to extend his contract. Christian has suggested to me that he really likes Vancouver and would very much like to stay there.

"I really don't have anything more to say than that. I don't like to discuss the status of negotiations, I don't go there, but I will acknowledge that we have had conversations and I fully anticipate continuing those conversations up to a point where I hope we can come up with something that is mutually beneficial."
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/s...#ixzz13K7agLtD

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 07:00 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Sounds like its just a matter of time. I am excite, Ehrhoff was a steal.

10-24-2010, 07:00 PM
Placebo Effect

We had our D core of Bieksa, Salo, Mitchell and Edler signed to about 3.5 million each.

With the increased salary cap I'll be more than happy if our new D core of Ballard, Hamhuis, Ehrhoff and Edler at around 4.5 million each. Then you fill in the rest with the Alberts, Rome types and hopefully a prospect.

Edler is still locked up for 2 more years after this. Hopefully when it's his turn to be extended we'll have a prospect or two to mitigate the salary raise for Edler. Regardless, if/when we lock up our top four we'll be in good shape on the backend for awhile.

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 07:02 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Quote:
Originally Posted by spixel View Post
We had our D core of Bieksa, Salo, Mitchell and Edler signed to about 3.5 million each.

With the increased salary cap I'll be more than happy if our new D core of Ballard, Hamhuis, Ehrhoff and Edler at around 4.5 million each.
I would guess that's likely to happen. Except maybe Edler who will get a pretty large raise one day if he keeps this up.

parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 07:04 PM
Placebo Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
I would guess that's likely to happen. Except maybe Edler who will get a pretty large raise one day if he keeps this up.
Edler will be our #1, that's almost guaranteed. He's the absolute must keep in my eyes. Him, then Hamhuis, Ehrhoff, Ballard in that order.

Old
10-24-2010, 07:05 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
Would be great if the team can re-sign him, its early but on his way to having an even better year than last year - more physical and playing against stiffer competition. In addition to his offensive prowess, he is very mobile in his own end, turns the back around quickly and gets the play going the other way in a hurry - our best dman at this not named Sami Salo. Still has a tendency to cough up the puck, otherwise he could be a #1.

I've thought for a while that a team gets a discount, and a player gets more security, when the player is extended earlier in the cycle as opposed to later. WIN WIN.

$4M sounds about right at the moment, IMO. If the team waits until summer, it could rise to 4.5M (Hamhuis money basically), and after July 1st, all bets are off as then you're into overpayment season.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 07:06 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

$4 million seems a bit low to me considering he's a pending UFA.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 07:06 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
If he has a similar year to last year, Martin money is not a stretch. I personally think he gets around 4.25-4.75M.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 07:08 PM
Placebo Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
Yeah, $4 million seems a tad optimistic. Maybe 5 years/$21.25 million deal would be more likely in my opinion. Obviously the lower the better.

As for Edler, yes, it's early but that is my main focus. He's still 3 years from UFA status but by then, who knows where cap inflation will take things. There will be a new CBA then so we really don't know what could happen.

Old
10-24-2010, 07:09 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
He wont get 4mil, it'll be 4.5 or 4.75 or nothing at all IMO.

Old
10-24-2010, 07:12 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

vCash: 50
If he plays well this year, I expect him to get a deal similar to Hamhuis'.
So around 5 or 6 years, $4.5-5 mil per.

Nuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 07:21 PM
Reign Nateo

Yeah 4 million may be a bit of wishful thinking on this deal. He was in the top 15 scorers among defencemen last year and was +36. And he's off to a solid start again this season. He's underrated defensively, is a fabulous skater, and can play in all situations. He'd be a pretty highly sought after guy on the UFA market (especially this year). Canucks would be smart to lock him up long-term asap. 4.5-5 per is probably closer to what it's going to take to get it done, unless Ehrhoff is ready to take a substantial discount to stay here.

Gillis has been very good with these things so far, hopefully he can get another one done. The sooner the better.

Reign Nateo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 07:35 PM
Tiranis

I can't see him getting more than 4.75m, more likely 4.5m or so. This is where it helps to have the Sedins at 6.1m and Kesler at 5m (and Hamhuis at 4.5m).

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 07:36 PM
Ernie

9th in voting for the Norris trophy last year means he's looking at over $5m.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 07:39 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

It really shouldn't be a problem getting him signed. We only have to find an extra $1-2M cap space to keep him, and our salary is structured nicely to accomodate that easily. Plus, GM's on a league-wide basis have finally gotten comfortable with the salary cap, so no one's going to give him a Gomez/Drury/Briere/Redden type contract. Like how this past offseason all the available top 4 signed reasonable UFA contracts.

RandV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 07:42 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
9th in voting for the Norris trophy last year means he's looking at over $5m.
No, that will have absolutely no impact on the contract negotations. Perhaps if he was 4th or 5th, but the 9th guy gets less than 10 votes, whereas the winner gets hundreds.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...-5th-in-norris

Old
10-24-2010, 07:49 PM
chopkins
Super Bowl Champs

$4 million is EXCELLENT value for a player of Ehrhoff's calibre. The guy finished 9th in Norris voting last year. You'd think he'd be looking for more but I'm not complaining. Knowing Gillis the actual signing will wait until late in the season or around the draft so hopefully Ehrhoff won't perform too well

At the end of the year our contracts will look like this on D:

Hamhuis- $4.5 million (5 years)
Ballard- $4.2 million (4 years)
Edler- $3.25 million (2 years)
Ehrhoff (FA)- $4-4.5 million (longterm)
Salo (FA)- $3-3.5 (shortterm)

Plug Alberts, Rome, Sauve/Connauton/Tanev, or a cheap FA in at #6/7 and we're looking at a very good D-core signed at great value for another 2 years until Edler needs an extension. The only questionable contract will be Ballard's but he still has a season to prove he's worth his money. It's way better than Bieksa' current cap hit anyway.

chopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 07:51 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

If Chara gets 6.5 I don't see Ehrhoff getting more than 5mil... Not from us at least.

Old
10-24-2010, 07:53 PM
Lard_Lad

I'm wondering less about the dollar amount than the duration. If he signed for three years, that would stagger the expirations of the top four guys perfectly, Edler in 2013, Ehrhoff in '14, Ballard in '15, and Hamhuis in '16. But he'll probably want something longer.

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 07:59 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthVanCanuck View Post
$4 million is EXCELLENT value for a player of Ehrhoff's calibre. The guy finished 9th in Norris voting last year. You'd think he'd be looking for more but I'm not complaining. Knowing Gillis the actual signing will wait until late in the season or around the draft so hopefully Ehrhoff won't perform too well

Plug Alberts, Rome, Sauve/Connauton/Tanev, or a cheap FA in at #6/7 and we're looking at a very good D-core signed at great value for another 2 years until Edler needs an extension. The only questionable contract will be Ballard's but he still has a season to prove he's worth his money. It's way better than Bieksa' current cap hit anyway.
I forget where I read it, but I think Salo said he was seriously considering retirement after this season.

Nuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 08:01 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthVanCanuck View Post

He's probably retiring anyway. I'd take him back with open arms at like 1.5M though, since he is a great player when healthy.

I'm hoping for only 4-5 years max for Ehrhoff.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 08:04 PM
John Swartzwelder
MOAR TUFFNESS!!!1

I'd prefer 4 years rather than 5 since players with games based on speed tend to fizzle out quicker.

4 years / $20,000,000.00

$5,000,000.00 / year

John Swartzwelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 08:12 PM
Placebo Effect

Salo qualifies for bonuses next season. Depending on how shakes things down we COULD see him back at a well reduced price. Although bonuses don't really help next year since it's the last year of the CBA so you can't defer them.

Old
10-24-2010, 08:24 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

I love Ehrhoff.. But, any more than 5.25mil we let him walk.

If he's willing to sign for under 5mil, lock him up 5-6 years. This is fully what I expect.. I doubt he's all that greedy, and he sees what guys like Hamhuis and Ballard are making. I'm sure he'd be happy with 4.8mil a season for 5 years to play for a top contender who will infact be a contender for atleast the next 4 years or so.

If he wants 5.25mil.. Meh.. You give it to him for a 2-3 year contract. Unfortunately there aren't many better options in the free agency market and we will have the cap space with Salo coming off the books or re-signing for #5-6 money (doubtful). Unless we risk it and put in a substantial offer for Markov in the offseason.. But.. Unless we're willing to dish out 6.5mil - 7mil a year for 5+ years I don't see it happening..

Luck 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 08:30 PM
Tiranis

This is actually a decent UFA class, unfortunately it's also a highly-paid UFA class — Jovanovski, Markov, Kaberle, Pitkanen. (Most of those guys are also fairly likely to re-sign with their current teams.)