HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Deadline Deal in Light of the Carter Signing

Old
11-17-2010, 01:58 PM
K35L3R

vCash: 500
Deadline Deal in Light of the Carter Signing

Hey all,

The Jeff Carter signing I found very interesting. I thought he was going to be moved simply because of the Flyers current cap situation. With him signed, the Flyers have a cap hit of ~$57.6m next year and thats with only 18 players signed.

The are deep on the front and on the back-end, with their notable weakness being in net. Not offense to Bobrovsky, but he probably isn't the answer.

The nucks are also deep up front and on the backend; however, the difference is in the goal for the nucks and the physical department for the Flyers. Apart from Torres on the third line, our forecheck and corner play (im looking at you Raymond and Samuellson) is lacking. I also think we could use more secondary scoring from the 2nd line (although Raymond is apparently injured right now).

I propose we move Cory Schenider ($900K) at the deadline (assuming he is play well) to the Flyers for James Van Riemsdyk ($1.6m). Van Riemsdyk is off to a slow start after scoring 15 goals and 35 points last season. In any case, he's 21, 6'3, 211 lbs and has a skill-set that we have seen since the big 44. The Flyers would almost definetly be enticed with this, given Scheniders cap hit and assuming he continues to be play well this year.

Playoff Roster:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Raymond - Kesler - Van Riemsdyk
Torres - Malhotra - Samuellson
Glass - (need a center) - Hansen

Hamhuis - Edler
Ehrhoff - Salo
Ballard - Bieksa

Alberts
Rome

Luongo
Lack (or someone else)

Next Season:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Raymond - Kesler - Hodgson
Van Riemsdyk - Malhorta - Samuellson
Glass - (CENTER) - Hansen

Hamhuis
Ballard
Edler
Ehrhoff
(GOALIE)
(GOALIE)

Luongo
(GOALIE)

Thoughts?

K35L3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 02:00 PM
VanEric

I don't think Philly's in the market for a goalie anymore with how well BOB has played.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 02:01 PM
LostMyGlasses*

I could swear I've seen this trade somewhere before.

I don't know if Philly does this. Bobrovsky clearly has some potential and maybe some further upside.

With all the recent bigger contract signings in Philly, JVR's slower than perhaps expected start to his NHL career may be a blessing- they may be able to afford to keep him at a cheaper rate than if he had broken out already.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 02:02 PM
Reign Nateo

Really doubt we'd get JVR for Schneider...

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 02:03 PM
Verviticus

vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by K35L3R View Post
The are deep on the front and on the back-end, with their notable weakness being in net. Not offense to Bobrovsky, but he probably isn't the answer.
Why not?

Verviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 02:03 PM
ttam103

the goalie market is so saturated they could probably just sign an experienced goalie cheap as a backup.

ttam103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 02:04 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

I'm in if Philly is in.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 02:12 PM
clyankees47

Unequivocally, PHI is not in the market for a goalie. Bobrovsky has been amazing for them. It's not a fluke. He has the talent to back it up. Have you seen how fast his feet are? He makes Luongo look like a turtle.

The real question is not whether Bob is the answer for them.... but whether Bob is actually better than Luongo.

clyankees47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 02:19 PM
The Drunken Crunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyankees47 View Post
Unequivocally, PHI is not in the market for a goalie. Bobrovsky has been amazing for them. It's not a fluke. He has the talent to back it up. Have you seen how fast his feet are? He makes Luongo look like a turtle.

The real question is not whether Bob is the answer for them.... but whether Bob is actually better than Luongo.
Little premature to make that comparison considering Bobrovsky has only played about 15 games thus far in his NHL career.

The Drunken Crunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 02:22 PM
Tiranis

Quote:

Have you seen how fast Fleury's feet are?

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 02:24 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
I think it's a little early to be asking that.

And I'm not too sure about "unequivocally" either; this is a franchise that seemingly hasn't had a true #1 goalie for well over a decade now.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 02:24 PM
silvercanuck

Goaltenders have absolutely no value on the trade market and very little negotiating power. If we got anything for Schneider I would be shocked. That said I don't see the point of trading Schneider. He is a good cap value for what he brings as a back up. I also think it would be very foolish to go into the playoffs without a bona fide backup to our extremely overrated starter.

silvercanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 06:50 PM
BigZ65

vCash: 350
I don't think the Flyers are desperate enough. They still have Boucher and Leighton too. The Canucks would have to take a bad asset back or give up at least a couple high picks in addition to Schneider to get Van Riemsdyk.

BigZ65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 07:46 PM
Johnnycanuck13

Not gonna happen. Wasnt even going to happen before Bobrpvsky came up and now hes playing phenonemal. They will be fine.

Johnnycanuck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 07:53 PM
GCM
Stork

1. Bobrovsky > Schnieder

2. JVR is untouchable.

3. With Luongo's inconsistency and Schnieder's solid play, it's probably best that we keep both, for a couple years at least.

GCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 08:05 PM
timorousme
luongod

I too would JVR for Schneider but its not gonna happen.
Schneider needs to build an actual NHL resume before he's worth anything interesting.

timorousme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 08:06 PM
timorousme
luongod

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCM View Post
3. With Luongo's inconsistency and Schnieder's solid play, it's probably best that we keep both, for a couple years at least.
isn't a little bit premature to make any call on schneider? carolina, minnesota, colorado, and buffalo really aren't a litmus test.

Old
11-17-2010, 09:11 PM
David Booth Fan

Send a message via MSN to David Booth Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by timorousme View Post
isn't a little bit premature to make any call on schneider? carolina, minnesota, colorado, and buffalo really aren't a litmus test.
Didn't Luongo lose 6-2 Minnesota?

David Booth Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 09:43 PM
timorousme
luongod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outraged666 View Post
Didn't Luongo lose 6-2 Minnesota?
http://canucks.nhl.com/club/recap.htm?id=2010020097

Old
11-17-2010, 09:46 PM
CASUAL KEV
Jack Adams™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Really doubt we'd get JVR for Schneider...
I don't even know If I'd make that trade anymore. It's nice to have a good backup that isn't a liability and JVR is pretty much a bust at this point.

CASUAL KEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 11:12 PM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
This trade doesn't address the Canuck's needs. (Gillis, is that you?) You can't just leave the fourth line without a center!

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 01:24 AM
vadim sharifijanov

even if we could get van riemsdyk for schneider, which i don't think we can, in our best shot at a championship and a year where we're favourites, do you really want to send a potentially game-changing goaltender to a team that would have won the cup last year if they'd had a game-changing goaltender? JVR is a nice player, and will be fantastic down the road, but he's not a piece we particularly need right now, and certainly not at the expense of potentially putting another contender over the top, or at the expense of losing our luongo insurance (injury or otherwise).

and of course there are two other factors on philly's side: 1. that bobrovsky may well be the real deal, in which case they won't even need schneider, and 2. why would they want to dump JVR, his enormous potential, and his relatively small salary when they could just trade, give away, or waive, say, zherdev, who makes more than him?

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 02:26 AM
YogiCanucks

Schneider + Hansen FOR JVR has been around for a couple years when JVR wasn't coming to the NHL and was a bit of a question mark. Granted Schneider was relatively unproven too... But JVR has just gotten better.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 06:34 AM
Nine to Five
Now Eight to Four!

This is the type of thread that HFboard posters would link and lump us with the leaf fans' delusional proposals.
JvR's struggling but there is NO way they send a 2nd overall pick, albeit in a weak year, for an unproven backup goalie with potential.

Nine to Five is offline   Reply With Quote