HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers in talks to acquire Jarome Iginla

Old
11-19-2010, 04:39 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
No reason whatsoever why the Rangers should be interested in Iginla, who is past his prime and who plays a game that isn't tailored to the style of play in the league today. He'd also cost much more than he's worth, and he doesn't fix any of this team's problems.
Um, not sure what you mean by that. Because he had only 69 points last season his style of play is all of a sudden being called into question? He had 98 and 89 in '07 and '08 respectively. Not to mention he had 10 PP goals last season.

I'm not exactly on board with the idea of trading for him, but I don't think his style of play is questionable.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 04:51 PM
GarretJoseph*

I'll take Iggy if the price is right.

Redden + Drury + Frolov + Whatever bad contract Sather signs this summer for Iggy + 2 first round picks.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 04:56 PM
lundy

Iggy, yes please. Get em Slats.

lundy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 04:58 PM
satrabyk

Iginla is aging but i still think he can offer much more this team than Drury. Also i think if Drury would play anywhere it would be CGY, mainly because they really focus on d. If it is just adding Iginla contract to Dru contract it makes no sense. Also trading Rozy for Iginla would make no sense as he is prob are besr Defender on many nights and he is hard to play against. Drury plus prospect for Iginla.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 05:05 PM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

I fully understand buisness is buisness.

But sending McDonaugh out now, only a few months after talking him out of his senior year at Wisconsin that we all know he was reported as wanting to stay.

That would be seriously cold.

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 05:14 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrowne View Post
Guys I live in Calgary, and I have to say based on what I see here in this city, Jarome still got it and got several years left in the tank.

He DEFINITELY needs a change of scenery considering what has happened around him in the last few years. We're not talking Chris Higgins or Redden change of scenery.

So much blame and negative attention gets directed his way and rightfully so when you're a Captain, but I think it's time for him to move on. Calgary is a sinking ship and the Sutterite colony is going with it. To me so much has gone on that he's now disconnected from the city, it's been a long dry run for him here.

The second he puts on a Ranger sweater he will bleed Ranger blue instantly. His tenacity will be reignited. Book it.

As long as it doesn't involve our young core, I'm all for bringing Iggy here. Everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.
Sounds like he's worth keeping. Good luck with that.

In all seriousness, the barebones of it is Iginla is not performing. You can put a bow on it and say he can recover, but that cap hit isn't forgiving. We're not going to take on a risk at that price, not for the cost of our cheap, young and promising players.

Calgary is aiming for 2 things with an Iginla trade. Future assets and cap relief. Well no one has the budget/cap space to give that to you today. Take on Roszival (we'll ignore Drury b/c of the NMC) and you get relief in 2 years instead of Iginla's 3. I'm sure you'll get some prospects or a nice pick, but I don't see a Hossa or Pronger return.

Problem is we need to replace Roszival with someone serious. You don't add Iginla and just hope to get by. That's a big time move with some big aspirations. And why create another hole on D just to add a 3rd top 6 RW? Where is he going to play? Where is Callahan going to play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
Makes zero sense.

If I'm Sather I wouldn't entertain the thought for a second.

This team needs a #1 center, not another sniper on the wings. We have enough problems trying to figure out who's going to center and set up Gaborik.
I'm starting to worry that they no longer view that as a need. With the play of Anisimov and Stepan, is it prudent to spend serious assets to acuire a #1 anymore? I think cup winners are built around #1 centers so I still see it as a need but I doubt Sather is shopping or looking for one.

I think Calgary is playing us against LA to pry some more out of a potential deal there. We are always pulled in and used for leverage. If Calgary wants to unload Iginla and his $7m for some good D prospects, LA is the place for that. Otherwise Calgary has to expect taking back salary from us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *************** View Post
If you're going to go after me then please include the stories i broke way before any media outlets & also remember the HATERS are all over Twitter & probably on this site as well > Hi Haters

Oh yeah go check Islanders board, i broke the Gordon firing a full 4 days before it happened & had the day he would be fired etc... Oh yeah i had Moss being traded before any1 > Wade Phillips on October 11th when every1 said "Jerry Jones Does Not Fire Coaches Mid-way Through Year"

So once again as i said on Twitter , 2 Sources have in fact gained information that the Rangers are "interested" in Iginla & when Calgary decides to make a move they will be in it with the Kings & any other teams that might want in on the bidding.

Iginla Will Be Traded > That is 99% according to 1 of the sources (Hockey Lifer with ties to Brent Sutter)

Nothing Imminent!!!

Hi Haters > - Oh WFAN (Francessa) talked Hockey (Islanders) yesterday because of me! Do not underestimate my connections
I understand that you are proud of your work and want to defend it, but coming off like this will not win you any fans. Just too defensive. I don't think the skeptics appreciate the hater tag either. Just let it play out and enjoy the 'win' if it works out that way.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 05:20 PM
DutchShamrock

People thought Ryan Smyth was finished but he looks great again. But he also sucked in Colorado and did nothing for NYI. Maybe Iginla can do it too. Question is, which of those 3 teams will we be?

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 05:28 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
He's not worth the financial risk. Also, how the hell will we sign our RFAs with him on the books for 2 more years?

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 05:34 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Iginla and Sniper are two words that should no longer be used together. Drury expires a year sooner so I don't touch him because that's the only guy I'd deal him for.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 05:36 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCollarBlueBlood View Post
I fully understand buisness is buisness.

But sending McDonaugh out now, only a few months after talking him out of his senior year at Wisconsin that we all know he was reported as wanting to stay.

That would be seriously cold.
don't ever run a business

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 05:39 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Also, how the hell will we sign our RFAs with him on the books for 2 more years?
Not just that..

Think about the summer when Redden's cap-hit magically re-appears.

We have less $$$$ to work with than people think.

One more year fellows. One more year. Iggy to NY doesn't make sense unless Calgary repeats their brainfart.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 05:46 PM
Alvvays
Man Girardi

Do. Not. Want. In the slightest. 7 mil for a perimeter player with a good shot? No thank you.

11-19-2010, 05:53 PM
SomE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Do. Not. Want. In the slightest. 7 mil for a perimeter player with a good shot? No thank you.
Exactly. Fortunately he won't be traded this season.

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 06:14 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

if we lose anyone important I am going to be pissed

Swept In Seven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 06:22 PM
RyanBozak

Send a message via AIM to RyanBozak
While the rumor itself might hold water, it's either

A) We're being used as leverage, which is plausible

Or

B) Which is probably asinine, doesn't make sense, but

Drury waives his NMC -->

Drury + One of our D Prospects + A pick for Iginla.

Works cap wise for us, we're not giving up too much, and we get a healthy and arguably better player in the meantime, with an added year past Drury's.

For Calgary, doesn't make sense at all. No immediate Cap relief and they are losing their captain for essentially an aging player for another and a prospect + a high pick.

Don't know how this could work otherwise. Doubt Drury wants to go to Calgary either.

RyanBozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 06:23 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Cap cost, asset cost, I just don't see it happening. I believe he can still be an excellent player. One thing to note is he has never had any elite support. The best he ever got was Cammalerri for one season, Craig Conroy with one abnormally good season, and Alex Tanguay for one season. A player scoring as much as he did with that supporting cast is pretty amazing.

$7M - how can that be cleared? I guess if they took Roszival it would start to open the way. I mean, when I think about it, they HAVE to take Roszival to make this work. He's the only player on our roster that could free up enough cap space to make this work. They could use a d-man but then it becomes an asset cost issue. I can't see the Flames taking Rosival, a prospect (Horak/Werek/Bourque?), and probably our 1st. Then again, Joe Thornton got traded for Marco Sturm, Wayne Primeau,and Brad Stuart. Oh right, we'll throw EC in with rest, that makes it a landslide for Calgary

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 06:34 PM
BlueHavok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Does the deal include a magic button to make Iginla five or six years younger too?

BlueHavok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 06:45 PM
gravytrain6t

Depending on who Calgary wants, I can see the rationale. This guy was one win away from Captaining his team to a Stanley Cup. It's just never going to happen in Calgary (not saying it would happen here either). He's a Canadian and a Super Star. These kids grow up dreaming about winning the Cup. So I wouldn't question his desire. He's also a tough guy and is more than willing to drop the gloves. He wouldn't stand there and watch Carcillo beat up his linemate. Speaking of which, the two on the same line sounds pretty darn good (with possibly Stepan in the middle).

On the flip side, I understand the direction this team is going in. They should keep Staal, MDZ, Cally, Dubi, Stepan, Girardi, A.A., and CK. Of course Lundqvist is part of that core. The question is, if Iginla was on this team now, how far do Rangers fans think the team can go this year and/or next season, the one after, the one after that..etc, until Iginla's done? Depending on your answer, "the deal would (or wouldn't) make sense."

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 06:52 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Normally I would be seriously worried about trading for a star-type player...but this is Brent Sutter we are talking about...idk about all of you but i am not particularly worried.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 06:54 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

I gotta say, I sometimes wonder why in the hell some of you guys bother posting. Seriously.

There's no part of me that wants to trade assets for Iginla. Let's not ****ing kid ourselves though. Jarome is a very good player. If you haven't watched him play much, invest in center ice and watch him play.

He would easily become our second best forward if he was on our team. Stop creating this phony impression that Jarome is just a serviceable player. I think he's had 1 season this past decade where he failed to reach 30G+. That includes his mediocre season last year when he couldn't carry a pretty terrible Flames team.

Again, I wouldn't move much for him (because of his age/contract) but he's still a damn good player.

Old
11-19-2010, 06:59 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Iginla would be awesome here. If Slats were to bring him here you know he would absolutely hose Sutter in a trader.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 07:13 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
I gotta say, I sometimes wonder why in the hell some of you guys bother posting. Seriously.

There's no part of me that wants to trade assets for Iginla. Let's not ****ing kid ourselves though. Jarome is a very good player. If you haven't watched him play much, invest in center ice and watch him play.

He would easily become our second best forward if he was on our team. Stop creating this phony impression that Jarome is just a serviceable player. I think he's had 1 season this past decade where he failed to reach 30G+. That includes his mediocre season last year when he couldn't carry a pretty terrible Flames team.

Again, I wouldn't move much for him (because of his age/contract) but he's still a damn good player.
this is my exact thinking. Stop with all this "he's over the hill" ********. I'm not saying trade the farm for him, but like I said earlier, you're crazy if you wouldn't want him on this team, even at his age.

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 07:16 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
Iginla would be awesome here. If Slats were to bring him here you know he would absolutely hose Sutter in a trader.
He would give up something we don't want to lose, regardless of how little Sutter accepts for Iggy. Teams around the league would easily outbid some of the ridiculous proposals posted here.

-Drury's not waiving his NMC to go to Calgary.
-Rozsival's too valuable here. We have some nice looking prospects on the blueline, but nobody is ready to replace Rozsival.
-EC is worthless. Absolutely worthless. He may have negative value to some teams with the contract our dumbass GM blessed him with.
-White? Really?
-Redden?

Frolov, White, Gilroy, and a swap of picks. That's all I can come up with, which is pretty terrible from Calgary's perspective. It's insulting, actually. Iginla isn't leaving Calgary for peanuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
this is my exact thinking. Stop with all this "he's over the hill" ********. I'm not saying trade the farm for him, but like I said earlier, you're crazy if you wouldn't want him on this team, even at his age.
I'm just shocked after reading some of the things being said in this thread about his game. He's off to a rough start, but the guy is one of the most consistent players in this league. He doesn't miss many games, and he always produces.

Old
11-19-2010, 07:32 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

05-06 GP82 G35 A32
06-07 GP70 G49 A55
07-08 GP82 G50 A48
08-09 GP82 G35 A54
09-10 GP82 G32 A37

For you stat freaks out there...