HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

No more stop signs for SUBBAN !

Old
11-02-2010, 09:51 PM
Habblues

vCash: 500
No more stop signs for SUBBAN !

It`s darn well time Martin let Subban play "his" game. He`s got soooo much offensive talent, as we`ve seen during the world juniors and his time in the AHL. So why in **** do they want this guy to be another stay at home D man ??? It doesn`t make sense. We`re starving for offence and they just seem to hold this guy back . **** put a third D man out there with him to cover for him when he rushes the puck. Does anyone on the Habs brass remember a guy by the name of Bobby Orr ? Wake up Martin before it`s too late. Why must we ruin every young players chance to show us what he can really do ?

Habblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 10:06 PM
bjac

I think Subban is having a good year and he's developing the defensive side of his game. At the end of the day hes a D-man and needs to be as good as he can be in his own zone. IMO his offensive production has been good up to this point. "Cutting him loose" will lead to alot of unneccesary risks. I think he's pinching enough as it is. At times I feel he tries to do TOO much on offense and doesn't pass the puck when he should. He should take a page out of Markov's book and use his teammates more effectively. Don't get me wrong, he's having a great season, but these are some small issues I've noticed so far.

He's getting some great experience playing on the top defensive unit. He's a rookie who is successfully playing over 20 minutes a night, so I think Martin has done a decent job with him. We should be patient its not even 15 games into his rookie season...

bjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 10:16 PM
RussCourtnallsGhost

Subban is playing great, but yeah, I do feel that he's been holding back on his offense, whether because of Martin, or because he's trying to play it safer in the NHL, who knows. His end-to-end rushes that we saw in the preseason are becoming end-to-blueline rushes. I want him to take bigger risks.

RussCourtnallsGhost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 10:38 PM
FF de Mars

I love Subban, but it's good that he's learning D. Also, if he can improve his shot accuracy, it would be significant. I'm not talking about long range shots that are meant to end up on the padds of the goalie. I'm talking about from the circle or closer. If he learns to shoot and put it up there say like Markov, he could become such a threat.

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 10:41 PM
Habblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
I love Subban, but it's good that he's learning D. Also, if he can improve his shot accuracy, it would be significant. I'm not talking about long range shots that are meant to end up on the padds of the goalie. I'm talking about from the circle or closer. If he learns to shoot and put it up there say like Markov, he could become such a threat.
Very true,I`ve noticed that as well.

Habblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 10:43 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
I want him to hold on to the puck a bit longer, approach the net and take a wrister. That would be a lot more effective IMO.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 10:50 PM
Etienne

Or maybe it's just that other NHL headcoaches watched tapes of Subban and are asking their players to stop his rushes instead blocking passing lanes.

Etienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 10:53 PM
Teufelsdreck

Subban has to play smarter. JM's responsibility is to win, not to showcase PK. A charging bull is dangerous but usually ends up as meat.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 11:08 PM
Kriss E

Subban has been held back??...are you nuts?

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 11:14 PM
Habs 1909

I think Martin is dealing with Subban perfectly.

Right now in Subban's career, he needs to focus on playing mistake-free hockey, and not being caught out of position.

Habs 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 11:29 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

PK is the only defenseman, with Picard, that has been good. Why blame him? He plays with pylons or at least, his partners have played like pylons since the beginning of the season.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 06:20 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Believe it or not, not playing with Picard hurts him a little, as those two complimented each other quite well. Needless to say, I do love his rushes, but often was gritting my teeth when he was caught severely out of position. Still though, he does have the speed and agility to get back into position before anything serious happens.

But to compare him to Bobby Orr... yeah, no.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 07:08 AM
wedge

Bobby Orr was one of the best in the league defensively too. Completely different from Subban. PK needs to avoid turnovers and yes, he needs to learn some D.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 07:10 AM
Corey

People are beginning to create a Subban mythology. Bobby Orr was a more complete player at age 18 than Subban is now.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 08:04 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habblues View Post
It`s darn well time Martin let Subban play "his" game. He`s got soooo much offensive talent, as we`ve seen during the world juniors and his time in the AHL. So why in **** do they want this guy to be another stay at home D man ??? It doesn`t make sense. We`re starving for offence and they just seem to hold this guy back . **** put a third D man out there with him to cover for him when he rushes the puck. Does anyone on the Habs brass remember a guy by the name of Bobby Orr ? Wake up Martin before it`s too late. Why must we ruin every young players chance to show us what he can really do ?
If he isn't playing HIS game then who's game is he playing?

He's already rushing the puck and jumping into the play constantly, if he does it any more we'll have to play him at forward. Honestly, is that the best you could come up with?

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 08:06 AM
neofury*

By the same logic we should make Andrei Markov our 2nd line Center. You know he did play center...

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 08:08 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
PK is the only defenseman, with Picard, that has been good. Why blame him? He plays with pylons or at least, his partners have played like pylons since the beginning of the season.
You're contradicting yourself? First you praise Picard but then you say Subban has been playing with pylons all year, well his partner has been Picard pretty much every game until Markov came back...hopefully you are not insinuating taht Markov is a pylon or you'll lose all credibility.

Last edited by Monctonscout: 11-03-2010 at 08:18 AM.
Old
11-03-2010, 08:09 AM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habblues View Post
This is just plain idiotic. Subban is a fantastic talent who STILL NEEDS TO GET ADJUSTED TO THE NHL. He absolutely is capable of making a fool of himself, and his teammates, when he runs around crazily trying to do everything himself. At the same time, he needs to get lots of ice time in all kinds of situations, especially PP and some top 5 on 5 minutes. AND THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT HE'S GETTING.

Seriously, there is NOTHING to fault in the way Subban is being brought into the league. For the first time in more than a decade the Habs have an elite level prospect they are neither rushing nor holding back. So of course, there's got to be a chorus of complaint.

This one gets my vote as the maybe the worst OP I've seen this year. Course the season's young yet.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 08:46 AM
PricePkPatch

Do you think Subban, with his speed, puck handling/passing skill and tactical sense could make a decent center?

(Just throwing a line down the water, not genuinely entertaining the possibility)

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 08:55 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolkaTruesilver View Post
Do you think Subban, with his speed, puck handling/passing skill and tactical sense could make a decent center?

(Just throwing a line down the water, not genuinely entertaining the possibility)
He could probably play any of the 3 forward positions if given time to adjust, but he is worth a lot more on defense. Skilled puck movers are a valuable commodity in the NHL nowadays.

Old
11-03-2010, 09:16 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
He could probably play any of the 3 forward positions if given time to adjust, but he is worth a lot more on defense. Skilled puck movers are a valuable commodity in the NHL nowadays.
But his defensive skill, if put and applied in a forward position, would make a devastating forechecking that prevent the other team from clearing their zone, he could even be provoking multiple turnover from his puck-stealing skills.

We could play with a 7-def system with Subban as a surrogate center to alternate between Def and Offense. That could push some of our forwards.

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 11:09 AM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
You're contradicting yourself? First you praise Picard but then you say Subban has been playing with pylons all year, well his partner has been Picard pretty much every game until Markov came back...hopefully you are not insinuating taht Markov is a pylon or you'll lose all credibility.
Of course, Markov is a pylon!

Kidding, you're right. Guess I was a bit tired.

Well, he played with Spacek. Spacek is not a pylon but he's sadly playing like one. Then Picard, his first few games were average but he was progressing as games went through. Both were making a good pair. Now with Markov, he's not yet 100 so I understand why PK is not "unleashing" the beast that sleeps in him.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 11:25 AM
neofury*

In his defense Picard was awful early on and became good with time. It was a Jacques Martin special... player goes from bad to good.

See Benoit Pouliot as example #2.... you will all soon see, this kid is magic just needs more time.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 11:42 AM
habdynasty

Subban is holding back he doesn't want to make markov look bad.....
Lol

habdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 11:53 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I don't see Subban holding back/being held back. He's playing great at both ends. He's walking the line perfectly IMHO.

Add in some of the PP production that a normally-converting PP unit would have and he'd be at a point-per-game clip now, along with having solid defensive credentials. I don't think we could ask for more out of Subban/coach's use of Subban.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote