HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ESPN INSIDER: Does Moving Rask Make More Sense?

Old
11-19-2010, 04:14 PM
Spooner st

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by finchster View Post
So minus one year that Dave Lewis was at the helm, Thomas will probably end this year with the lowest save percentage he has ever had in the NHL? then you tell Thomas supporters to use logic

For the record I am not pro Thomas or Pro Rask, I am pro Bruins winning.
I dont get the players X supporters logic at all.. aren't we all pro Bruins...

Spooner st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 04:16 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post

Winning the Veznia two years ago means almost nothing today and we all know those numbers will come back to reality over the long haul. A 2.30 GAA and .910 SV% is probably closer to reality. Which by the way is close to his Veznia year numbers.

A good portion of the Thomas crowd here could afford to exercise some common sense and logic.
I consider myself part of the Thomas crowd. And if I could afford to exercise some commons sense and logic, then I think it's fair to call you out on your shamefully deceitful numbers.

He had a 2.10 GAA and a .933 save percentage the year he won the Vezina. He has only had ONE season in the NHL where his SV% was less than .915... and that was during the Dave Lewis "era."

Mr. Make-Believe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 04:21 PM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_judge View Post
Let's do the same with Rask.

In the playoffs Rask **** the bed twice... once in the AHL and last year in the NHL.

are you ready to go to the playoffs whit out TT again, knowing Rask cant take the load all by himself ?

Imo if we want a cup this year we need both of them.
How many playoff series has Thomas won?

How many has Rask won?

bp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 04:24 PM
David Krejci
STANLEY CUP CHAMPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
I'll give you no one is near Orr but Lidstrom is definitely in Bourque's class.
In their primes, absolutely. But not now. Lidstrom is still a great defenseman, but I think that other guy was talking about those players when they were at the top of their games.

David Krejci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 04:26 PM
lextune
I'm too old for this

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Money Wides View Post
lol....^this.

lextune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 04:32 PM
Spooner st

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp13 View Post
How many playoff series has Thomas won?

How many has Rask won?
I guess probably the same... the point is Rask **** the bed twice... Timmy none...

Do you you think Rask is ready to carry the load by himself in the playoffs ?

Old
11-19-2010, 04:36 PM
Spooner st

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Krejci View Post
In their primes, absolutely. But not now. Lidstrom is still a great defenseman, but I think that other guy was talking about those players when they were at the top of their games.
My point was there are lots of players that are more important then the goalie.

Detroit and Chicago are good examples of teams that win the cup with average goaltenders.

Old
11-19-2010, 04:37 PM
ranold26
Get off my rink!

Only the stupid will give this any credence.
I feel stupid even replying in this thread.

ranold26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 04:46 PM
bp13

Quote:
I guess probably the same... the point is Rask **** the bed twice... Timmy none...

Yes, sure I do. At least as much as Thomas. Both are outstanding goalies, and neither one has managed to get to round 3. I have equal confidence that either or both could, and don't fear one breaking down any more than the other.

Bottom line though is that I don't hold out much hope that the Bruins would ride a 2-goalie system in the playoffs anyway, so I don't put much weight behind the idea we "need" both come April. One is obviously great insurance for the other, but weighed against the option of filling a huge hole by dealing one, it's a tougher call.

Old
11-19-2010, 04:52 PM
bp13

Quote:

Oh, and if you're going to count Rask's AHL playoffs 3 years ago as an instance of him "******** the bed", I'll just go ahead and count TT's AIK performance in 2001 when he went 1-4 with an .875 save percentage. Oh, and at that point Tim Thomas was 27 years old. When Rask "**** the bed" in the A, in a superior league, he was 20.

Old
11-19-2010, 04:59 PM
Spooner st

Quote:
Yes, sure I do. At least as much as Thomas. Both are outstanding goalies, and neither one has managed to get to round 3. I have equal confidence that either or both could, and don't fear one breaking down any more than the other.

Bottom line though is that I don't hold out much hope that the Bruins would ride a 2-goalie system in the playoffs anyway, so I don't put much weight behind the idea we "need" both come April. One is obviously great insurance for the other, but weighed against the option of filling a huge hole by dealing one, it's a tougher call.
Rask was overworked in the Flyers series... Thomas was unable to play or compete in the playoffs due to the injury.. if Thomas would be able to compete in last year playoffs we would of made the finals.

I believe Rask alone cant carry the load in the playoffs...not yet.
and for that reason and the way Thomas as played so far, he wont be traded... yet.

Old
11-19-2010, 05:01 PM
MOOKER411

If and only IF we had to trade one I would trade Thomas. Why ?

I believe both tender to be just as good as the other BUT one guy is 11 years older and makes over 3 million more per season which can fill an important missing piece ( PMD ) to the Stanley Cup puzzle.

I love Timmy but for the greater cause it would be a sacrifice that I would make. Not for no stinking Kaberle either. It would have to be for one heck of a d-man.

MOOKER411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 05:04 PM
Spooner st

Quote:
Oh, and if you're going to count Rask's AHL playoffs 3 years ago as an instance of him "******** the bed", I'll just go ahead and count TT's AIK performance in 2001 when he went 1-4 with an .875 save percentage. Oh, and at that point Tim Thomas was 27 years old. When Rask "**** the bed" in the A, in a superior league, he was 20.
Imo wen you **** the bed twice in the playoffs the way he did,it means you still have alot to learn and are not ready to carried the load by yourself.

Old
11-19-2010, 05:08 PM
Latrappe
Selke winner

Quote:
Rask was overworked in the Flyers series... Thomas was unable to play or compete in the playoffs due to the injury.. if Thomas would be able to compete in last year playoffs we would of made the finals.

and for that reason and the way Thomas as played so far, he wont be traded... yet.

The " if " game. If Savard would have been able to compete; if Krecji would have been able to stay healthy.... We would have won that series against Philly WITHOUT Tim Thomas. It's easy to play the " if " game, no?

Last edited by Latrappe: 11-19-2010 at 05:18 PM.
Latrappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 05:27 PM
misterjaggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptbents34 View Post
It's absolute garbage that someone made up and has no link whatsoever to anyone involved with the Bruins:

"Most of the speculation thus far as been about the Boston Bruins trading Tim Thomas, not Tuukka Rask. But TrueHockey.com's Andy Strickland writes, "Boston is seeking a puck moving D-man and the re-emergence of goaltender Tim Thomas has given GM Peter Chiarelli some options to play with. If you're Boston would you hang onto Rask who obviously can't help you in the playoffs if he's sitting on the bench?"

misterjaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 05:38 PM
the overrated
wicked overrated

Quote:
Let's do the same with Rask.

In the playoffs Rask **** the bed twice... once in the AHL and last year in the NHL.

are you ready to go to the playoffs whit out TT again, knowing Rask cant take the load all by himself ?

Imo if we want a cup this year we need both of them.
IMO we only need one of them - we just don't know which one it is yet.

Quote:

And it's just as easy to say "If Rask hadn't had to carry the team from January onward last season he wouldn't have been as tired in the Philly series and thus this 'Rask can't carry the load in the playoffs' fallacy wouldn't even be in consideration."

the overrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 05:50 PM
unifiedtheory
Twitter: @ut_pez

This is idle speculation from some no name who has ZERO knowledge of the Bruins from an insiders perspective. This is something that should not even be debated IMO.

With that said, trading Rask would be ridiculous and there is no way in hell it will get done unless a franchise type was coming back.

There is not a single goaltender in the league I'd trade him for, no lie. He's under club control when he hits "free agency" and has a higher upside then anyone.

Could we use a puck moving defensemen? Hell yah but we are not trading Rask for one unless an ELITE PMD came our way. I'm talking a Doughty type and the Kings are not making that deal in a million years.

unifiedtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 05:54 PM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

It has about as much credibility and basis as some schlep posting rubbish on the Trade Proposition board here.

Dogberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 06:10 PM
Mr Cartmenez

With the danger of overstating Rask's trade-value, but I don't think there are many trade-assets out there. Guys like parise can be ruled out, because of the salary-cap issues and ZP is a RFA in the off-season.

That means the salarys, age and potential have to be fairly equal. How many PMDs do you know who would fit into that?

If you ask me, I'd sell VERY high on TT before or right at the DL. I love Timmy, but this might be the perfect time to let him go. We'd cut 5 mio right off the payroll and might even fetch a good player in return.
At the moment, I wouldn't do anything, we still have some time left before Savard makes his return. But at the DL, we may have to consider it...

Mr Cartmenez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 06:32 PM
Strafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevren View Post
You wouldn't trade Rask for Stamkos? Did I read that right?
I'd think about Tuukka and Ryder and our first (not Toronto's) for Stamkos and Tampa's 2nd or a high end goalie prospect or:

Tuuka, Ference, Savard for Stamkos and Tampa's 2nd and 3rd rounder.
Flame Away!

Strafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 06:35 PM
Strafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cartmenez View Post
With the danger of overstating Rask's trade-value, but I don't think there are many trade-assets out there. Guys like parise can be ruled out, because of the salary-cap issues and ZP is a RFA in the off-season.

That means the salarys, age and potential have to be fairly equal. How many PMDs do you know who would fit into that?

If you ask me, I'd sell VERY high on TT before or right at the DL. I love Timmy, but this might be the perfect time to let him go. We'd cut 5 mio right off the payroll and might even fetch a good player in return.
At the moment, I wouldn't do anything, we still have some time left before Savard makes his return. But at the DL, we may have to consider it...
Not "might even" please.
TT, Ference and our first for Stamkos and a second Rounder.

Strafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 08:17 PM
bruinmann77

this is way stupid and the guy who suggested it is a joke,we have the 2 best goalies and plan to keep both.

bruinmann77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 08:43 PM
neelynugs

i'm not sure what people expect to get when they count on espn for hockey info. beyond bucci, lebrun and EJ, it's a bunch of clownshoes. there's like 9 billion other spots to go first.

neelynugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 09:08 PM
bruinsfan001

I think the author reads these forums too much haha.

bruinsfan001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 09:29 PM
FROMSHORETOCHARA

=the_judge;29051881]I guess probably the same... the point is Rask **** the bed twice... Timmy none...[/B]
Really? I really don't care about non-nhl games but since you bring it up, didn't Thomas have a .650, no typo, .650% SP in ahl 5 or 6 years ago and lose both playoff games giving up 10 goals in 4 periods before being yanked, or is that a different guy?

Rask bleeped the bed last year? Huh. He got them in playoff, TT wasn't winning enough - before he got hurt on march 4th - he couldn't finish games - before March 4th. Thomas was killing them in 2nd half - Chia swallowed pride and ego after giving him huge deal and played the kid cause it was clear it was their only chance. Thomas pulled 5 times in 18 starts in 2nd half.

Rask got them in playoffs, against heavily favored sabres he OUTPLAYED maybe the best goalie in the world and stole series.

By the way, how many playoff series has Thomas stolen? Answer none in 36 years. Rask 1 already against favored sabres.

No one is covered with glory against flyers - including Rask - they lost - but lets set the record straight cause I am not sure you watched the series. Game 4 - Rask played poorly I thought. Game 5, Bruins never showed up and would have lost with anyone in net, certainly Tim Thomas the way he was playing, in fact Rask held them in there for quite some time, hey he lost but it wasn't on Rask.

Game 6 - Rask was BRILLIANT as bruins AGAIN failed to show up and he held them in whole game.

Game 7 - 4 goals. One of of Hunwick, 1 off of stuart. Power play goal shot by brierre through screen while even brickley without naming names said PK was just standing around stunned as game slipped away. Banged home rebound by hartnell while defense stood around again. Made a number of big stops to keep it where it was. Tuukka obviously didn't steal game 7, so he doesn't deserve any medals but he sure as heck didn't play much role in losing it.

Bruins lost cause Krejci out, Savie shouldn't have been playing, Sobotka needed shoulder surgery and really shouldn't have been playing - that's 3 of our 4 centers hurt or out. Bergeron - of whom I am a fan - got his a$$ handed to him by Richards and flyers centers.

Their forwards were vastly superior to ours - That's why we lost - that's why we revamped our forward lines in off season or maybe you didn't notice that?

Thomas in his two Game Seven's? Blown off the ice by Habs 5-0. 2nd time? Major league chock job giving up softie to Walker causing bruins to lose series to clearly inferior Canes team.

Thomas is healthy and having a great start, enjoy it - I know as a bruins fan I have (although I obviously prefer rask). But don't make Thomas out to be something he isn't, he has ZERO history of big series wins OR big game 7's in the playoffs.

[B]Do you you think Rask is ready to carry the load by himself in the playoffs

I think so but time will tell, he's young so you never really know till they do it - but ALL indications are he can.

FROMSHORETOCHARA is offline   Reply With Quote