HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Edmonton/Columbus

Old
11-19-2010, 02:41 PM
hfboardsuser

vCash: 500
Edmonton/Columbus

Greetings Jackets fans. With our clubs headed in polar opposite directions and the relationship between Howson and Lowebellini, it's likely we'll see some activity between us at or even before the deadline.

Considering that Howson likely sees the post-season as a must-do in order to keep his job, and considering Howson knows Hemsky and Penner better than any other executive outside of Edmonton, do you think a package of our two top forwards would be enough to acquire Johansen and Filatov?

Primarily, what about a blockbuster-type deal like Penner and Hemsky for Johansen, Filatov and Commodore?

There's no question it changes the complexion of your forward corps:

Nash-Brassard-Hemsky (could be an incredible unit)
Penner-Vermette-Voracek (lots of size and skill)
Huselius-Wilson-Clark (potentially clutch 3rd scoring line)
Moreau-Pahlsson-Umberger (checking line)
MacKenzie, Boll, Murray, Dorsett

Hejda - Russell
Tyutin - Methot
Stralman - Klesla
Holden

Mason
Garon

That team has the depth to make a deep run even with a couple of injuries, and the Jackets would still have a few hundred thousand in cap space to make other adjustments.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 02:46 PM
RedK

Johansen is the one forward prospect we haven't screwed up (yet). I'd hate to let him go until we know if we can actually develop a top forward on our own.

RedK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 02:49 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Salary. Cap.

We're a budget team. Only getting rid of 1 big contract while getting 2 in return won't happen.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 02:49 PM
Happy Pony

I don't think we're in a position to give up our top two forward prospects (I know Filatov isn't really a prospect since he's in the NHL).

I'm also not keen on the idea of adding more bodies to our already bloated NHL roster, especially players I'm not all that impressed with as it is.

Are the Jackets in a financial position where they can afford to lose those ever valuable ELC years?

I don't think this works for the Jackets.

Happy Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 02:50 PM
Nikita Filatov

I would do it if their contracts were longer and if Columbus was still doing good at the time and would be attracting more fans to be able to handle the salary coming in. Or send Huselius the other way as well.

Nikita Filatov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 02:52 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikita Filatov View Post
Or send Huselius the other way as well.
Is he really on the outs that much? I know he can be a dog but near a PPG when healthy would seem like he's contributing.

Old
11-19-2010, 02:55 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Honestly, I don't like. For one, I'm just not a Penner fan and probably never will be. For another, what we really need is blueline scoring, not a forwards shuffle.

Decent try, and it'd be nice to have Hemsky on the team in any case, but mehh.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedK View Post
Johansen is the one forward prospect we haven't screwed up (yet). I'd hate to let him go until we know if we can actually develop a top forward on our own.
I think I agree with you, K; but, even though I love the potential of the kids, that certainly does look like a pretty strong lineup! Still, I know nothing about length and amount of contracts for Penner and Hemsky, so I don't have any idea how rational this proposal really is for the Jackets.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
WFNY5Hole

Wouldn't Hemsky's numbers take a hit not getting to light up Columbus four times a year?

WFNY5Hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Bad trade. We do not need Penner he is absolutely useless for us besides he is overrated player. Next, Johansen will be a good center and we need him more than Hemský. Filatov will be a better player than Hemmer. Sorry, not.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 03:13 PM
Derby
Pilsners in Prague

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
Is he really on the outs that much? I know he can be a dog but near a PPG when healthy would seem like he's contributing.
I wouldn't consider Huselius "on the outs" here in Columbus at all. He is a frequent whipping boy here on the boards, but its hard to ignore the points he puts up.

I get no sense from what is made public that would indicate a problem with Huse and team and or mgmt.

Derby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 03:16 PM
Shelley#45

I dont like it either based soley on the fact it doesnt really address our main weakness. Im actualy somewhat happy with our overall play on forward and defense, the only thing were missing is consistency. I think we have the tools for a decent power play also, they just need to get going and get healthy, basicaly we have been winning games without getting much from special teams. We have depth at forward, but i dont wanna trade it for more exspensive depth at forward. Gimmie a cannon shot from the blue line in return, or another playmaking center if im giving that up.

Shelley#45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 03:16 PM
hip check
Go North.

While I do like that line up, I just don't see it working financially + contract lengths. I would def do Johansen+ or Filatov+ for Hemsky if I thought he would stay. But some money would have to go back the other way.

hip check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 03:20 PM
blahblah

Let Edmonton keep Hemsky, it's about all they really have going for them right now.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 03:25 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Let Edmonton keep Hemsky, it's about all they really have going for them right now.
Yes, never mind that Jordan Eberle, Taylor Hall and Magnus Paajarvi have been the face of the team in promotional materials and at promotional events since the summer.

I know all Jackets fans aren't dunces like this.

Old
11-19-2010, 03:28 PM
FiveHole23

What a stupid thread. Umberger is better than Penner, and the addition of penner would in no way put umberger on the 4th line.

Johansen is going no where.
Filatov will be Hemsky caliber in the next few years.
Commie you can have free.

FiveHole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 03:31 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
Yes, never mind that Jordan Eberle, Taylor Hall and Magnus Paajarvi have been the face of the team in promotional materials and at promotional events since the summer.

I know all Jackets fans aren't dunces like this.
I've said the same thing for a while when we start talking about Hemsky (like about 3 years now). Because it's not going to happen. Especially this "proposal". Get a grip, I know who's on that roster.

Speaking of dunces, I see a bunny every time I see a Hemsky to CBJ "proposal". Bunnies that can't add, as well, seem to be everywhere....

Perhaps it's time for someone to reflect....

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 03:33 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
We got a...

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Yeah, the forward core could always be better but it would be pointless to add 2 key pieces while only getting rid of one forward (roster) player, especially given how that D-Core works.

Last edited by Samkow: 11-19-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Samkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 03:51 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Done deal, Hemsky would be our best player.

You guys are severely overrating Filatov and Johansen, which is expected. But there's a 50/50 chance that they bust. (Do not forget we're Columbus). You take the sure thing over a couple maybe's anyday of the week.

That is, of course, if you guys are interested in winning.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 03:53 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

I don't think Huselius is "on the outs" by any means until Filatov proves himself. Right now, that's not happening & when Huselius is healthy, he does his share of scoring.

As for Hemsky, wouldn't it help us to NOT have him light us up four times a year?

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 03:59 PM
OnYourIgnoreList

Johansen is a deal-breaker just due to how significant he is for long-term plans.

He's well-nigh untradable except for a player at the same position with a similar upside, and at that rate, what's the point?

OnYourIgnoreList is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 04:11 PM
Robert
BOB

Send a message via MSN to Robert
I'd love to get Hemsky just for the mere fact that he wouldn't be scoring goals on us anymore, more than that however I’d prefer to see future trades made with teams other than Edmonton..

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 04:18 PM
FiveHole23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
Done deal, Hemsky would be our best player.

You guys are severely overrating Filatov and Johansen, which is expected. But there's a 50/50 chance that they bust. (Do not forget we're Columbus). You take the sure thing over a couple maybe's anyday of the week.

That is, of course, if you guys are interested in winning.
The only thing hemsky has going for him over Nash is he makes half as much. I do not think he is a better player.

Hemsky does not make us a contender from my POV this year or next, and I doubt he would stay or we would have the money to sign him. With hemsky or without playoffs will be a tough task.

For that reason you can't sacrifice that much future for one player and Penner is trash imo. Umberger produces similar number and shows up every night.

Old
11-19-2010, 04:19 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJrumble View Post
The only thing hemsky has going for him over Nash is he makes half as much. I do not think he is a better player.

Hemsky does not make us a contender from my POV this year or next, and I doubt he would stay or we would have the money to sign him. With hemsky or without playoffs will be a tough task.

For that reason you can't sacrifice that much future for one player and Penner is trash imo. Umberger produces similar number and shows up every night.
The way I look at it is this:

Will Filatov or Johansen ever become as good as Hemsky is right now??? Doubtful. I really don't think either one will.

I would tell them to keep Penner and just do the trade for Hemsky himself. That is if we're serious about making the playoffs.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 04:27 PM
FiveHole23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
The way I look at it is this:

Will Filatov or Johansen ever become as good as Hemsky is right now??? Doubtful. I really don't think either one will.

I would tell them to keep Penner and just do the trade for Hemsky himself. That is if we're serious about making the playoffs.
I see your point, although in disagrement about how good filatov/johansen will be.

Even if I agreed with you I still would have a problem moving that much future plus the fact salaries would have to go back. Maybe one them and juice? Id rather give up filatov than johanse though.

So Filatov+Juice for Hemsky? Doubt that would get oilers to bite I bet the OP came here to get Johansen.