HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

#21: Flyers @ Capitals - Saturday, Nov. 20, 2010 - 7:00 PM (ET)

Old
11-20-2010, 11:59 PM
Unstable

vCash: 500
Just got home and watched the highlights.

What an EMBARRASSING way to get two points.

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 12:01 AM
Unstable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
I agree it is as if we are seeing him develop before our very eyes. He looked SOLID in college and I was excited when we drafted him. For whatever reason he had trouble finding his game at the NHL level at first, it seems like he is starting to find his game again.

Great game Andi! clutch goal! keep em comin!
Agreed. I was really excited when he turned pro, but sort of gave up on him. Great to see him emerging at last.

Old
11-21-2010, 12:10 AM
chaosof99*

Looks like I missed something. The team really needs to get the PK in shape. But hey, 2 points is 2 points.

Also, the Austrian Goal Machine keeps on rolling

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 12:13 AM
Cinerary
The Inexorable

Coburn's ice time was pretty low. Not that I'm surprised, he's looked like a deer in headlights the past few games.

Cinerary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 12:14 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable View Post
Just got home and watched the highlights.

What an EMBARRASSING way to get two points.
Embarassing victories > respectable defeats

Well, it's like you said, you only saw the highlights. After a rough first the team got it back on track a little bit. The penalty kill could've been better (again) but they were also operating against one of the hottest power plays in the league. The refs made some more really iffy calls in the third. I think we've become very unaccustomed to seeing a game where the other team has the puck more than we do.....that's probably gonna happen with Washington, even if you're playing well.

All in all, I'll take it. Some games you get the fortunate bounces and leave with two points, other games you get forty shots on net and don't even score a goal. C'est la vie.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 12:17 AM
chaosof99*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
So, not only are you still ragging on Boosh, but now you're insinuating that his teammates don't like him? Awesome.

This is what I mean.

Seriously though, you can really get that impression from how the Flyers played in front of Boucher last season (they barely avaraged 2 goals per game when he was in net) or even from that horrendous game in Columbus this year.

Old
11-21-2010, 12:20 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post

Well, it's like you said, you only saw the highlights. After a rough first the team got it back on track a little bit. The penalty kill could've been better (again) but they were also operating against one of the hottest power plays in the league. The refs made some more really iffy calls in the third. I think we've become very unaccustomed to seeing a game where the other team has the puck more than we do.....that's probably gonna happen with Washington, even if you're playing well.

All in all, I'll take it. Some games you get the fortunate bounces and leave with two points, other games you get forty shots on net and don't even score a goal. C'est la vie.
All that's true, but it's not like the Caps were world beaters out there as well. Backstrom, Semin, Ovechkin, and Green all had modest to bad nights and Ovechkin couldn't hit the side of a barn tonight. The only reason they were in the game was due to all their PP opportunities, most of which in this game (for both sides) were created due to bad reffing. They were pretty sub-par in the shootout as well and just as lackadaisical as the Flyers were in the first period.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 12:23 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
All that's true, but it's not like the Caps were world beaters out there as well. Backstrom, Semin, Ovechkin, and Green all had modest to bad nights and Ovechkin couldn't hit the side of a barn tonight. The only reason they were in the game was due to all their PP opportunities, most of which in this game (for both sides) were created due to bad reffing. They were pretty sub-par in the shootout as well and just as lackadaisical as the Flyers were in the first period.
Sometimes when you get two really good teams on the ice together they can make each other look awful. Don't get me wrong, it was far from the cleanest game ever played or perfection, but I thought it was a good effort from both sides.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 12:28 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
Looks like I missed something. The team really needs to get the PK in shape. But hey, 2 points is 2 points.

Also, the Austrian Goal Machine keeps on rolling
nevermind the PK, this team is starting to take stupid penalties again. I mean just plain stupid, lazy, reckless stick fouls. I think all 3 PPGs by the Caps came when the Flyers were 2 men down. With that kind of skill they can throw out there they can make anyone look bad on the PK. Quickest way to prevent that is to play smarter hockey. They were very fortunate tonight.
I have to admit I was wrong about Nodl. The kid is taking avantage of the opportunity given to him.

GoneFullHolmgren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 12:29 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Sometimes when you get two really good teams on the ice together they can make each other look awful. Don't get me wrong, it was far from the cleanest game ever played or perfection, but I thought it was a good effort from both sides.
After the first I'd agree to the extent. The first period was really low-energy and really unimpressive from both sides. By the time the second period was rolling around I starting dozing off.

The second and third were pretty good, but the Caps benefited from bad reffing and facing a backup goalie while the Flyers were horrible on both sides of the special teams. So it was still far from the best that either team could bring.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 12:30 AM
Unstable

Quote:

I saw the time on the clock at each of the three Washington third period goals. That's what I'm talking about.

Old
11-21-2010, 12:42 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
I was at the game. Washington fans are ****. It was awesome to win.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 12:55 AM
Snipsnap12

Honestly im pretty thankful the boys came away with two points tonight, I figured boucher would have to start either against MTL or WAS, I really want to beat montreal to shut their annoying fans up and wanted Bob in for that game. That being said I knew it would be tough to beat washington in their barn with bouch in net but we did so thats a bonus. Honestly boucher was at fault for 3-4 of the goals tonight regardless of them being on the power play. He also got lucky with about 3 posts... I hope either he sharpens up or leighton comes back soon because bob is all we have right now

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 02:07 AM
chaosof99*

Glorious:

Old
11-21-2010, 05:09 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I'm a big fan of boosh, but the team obviously doesn't like playing infront of him. He was downright terrible today too.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 08:27 AM
RoDu

Nodl has come a long way since last fall. He's playing better now than he ever did in the AHL

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 08:35 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Boosh played pretty well tonight. Not great, but he did his job and made a couple nice saves to earn the W.

I don't get what some of you want out of him.
Not to give up weak goals in the 3rd period. As in plural. The Caps tied the game twice in the last 7 minutes of the game in part because Boucher gave up a terrible goal.

Yeah, ok, he went 3 for 3 in the shootout.

There's no shootout if Boucher could make saves.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 08:46 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
Nodl has come a long way since last fall. He's playing better now than he ever did in the AHL
Agreed. I love that he keeps his feet moving. Throw in the fact that he's playing with Richards and that he has a good head on his shoulders -- recipe for success. He impressed me in the playoffs last year and it really looks like he's ready to take that next step. Good for him.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 09:27 AM
JVR21
G

Why the hell was Zherdev playing on the 4th line while Powe was playing on Carter's line? Powe is a 4th line player, Zherdev is definitely not. Z wasn't even playing badly.

JVR21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 09:45 AM
SeanVT395
It's Not Even Close

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
Why the hell was Zherdev playing on the 4th line while Powe was playing on Carter's line? Powe is a 4th line player, Zherdev is definitely not. Z wasn't even playing badly.
Ask Lavi

SeanVT395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 09:52 AM
jb**

They might as well waive or trade Zherdev now. Really sad how they are using him. He seems to the the guy who is made an example out of, the easy target, while others dont get reprimanded at all. Last game he didnt play in the third. 6 minutes last night. Unless something really serious behind the scenes is going on, it is a waste of his talents. He gets zero pp time yet has great hands.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 09:52 AM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
Flyers why do you do this to me?! This roller coaster of emotion from joy to anger to wtf to woohoo!

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 10:00 AM
Flyerwench

Anyone else hear Tocchet last nite during the post-game? Even he pointed out the horrendous officiating. Love that man.

Glad we won, but it was more like a broken hallelujah kind of win. Th kind that really gets my back up til I'm screaming at the tv and keeping my neighbours awake. Ugh. We can't keep playing so inconsistently and letting in goals. (Altho, again, the rubbish officiating didn't help matters any.) A good team is not and *should* not just be all about who's in the net, IMO.

Last edited by Flyerwench: 11-21-2010 at 10:22 AM.
Flyerwench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 10:34 AM
AaronTrieu

Lavi is gonna give the hardest working player minutes. Form powe to nodl. It creates competition among the players and keeps players from being complacent.

AaronTrieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 11:05 AM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronTrieu View Post
Lavi is gonna give the hardest working player minutes. Form powe to nodl. It creates competition among the players and keeps players from being complacent.
Maybe he should start to consider skillsets? What more could he have asked of Z? He played fantastic the last few weeks.

JVR21 is online now   Reply With Quote