HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Another black eye for Lil' Jimmy

Closed Thread

Old
06-16-2004, 08:09 AM
True Blue

vCash: 500
Another black eye for Lil' Jimmy

Marv Albert is out as a broadcaster of the Knicks after what, 30 years? And why? Becuase he knocked the Knicks over the last several years? Good grief. This is NY sports we are talking about. Does Lil' Jimmy think that by muzziling Marv, all of those Knick fans are suddenly going to think that everything is rosy? An utter disgrace.
Makes me think of what Sam & JD are allowed and not allowed to talk about. Between Lil Jimmy' & Sather, they probably have a script that Sam & JD have to read from. It's not like JD is a moron. The guy is one of the most respected people in all of hockey. And he KNOWS his hockey and what he sees in front of him.
Lil' Jimmy is just a disgrace.

Old
06-16-2004, 08:29 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Marv Albert is out as a broadcaster of the Knicks after what, 30 years? And why? Becuase he knocked the Knicks over the last several years? Good grief. This is NY sports we are talking about. Does Lil' Jimmy think that by muzziling Marv, all of those Knick fans are suddenly going to think that everything is rosy? An utter disgrace.
Makes me think of what Sam & JD are allowed and not allowed to talk about. Between Lil Jimmy' & Sather, they probably have a script that Sam & JD have to read from. It's not like JD is a moron. The guy is one of the most respected people in all of hockey. And he KNOWS his hockey and what he sees in front of him.
Lil' Jimmy is just a disgrace.
Sounds like, whats the word....oh yeah, fascism.

Old
06-16-2004, 09:30 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

All great runs come to end. I think it says a lot about marv alberts character that he tried to take the nets job away from Ian eagle. I wonder if this means Kenny Albert is gone. I hope Brian mullen is.

Old
06-16-2004, 09:36 AM
Davisian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
All great runs come to end. I think it says a lot about marv alberts character that he tried to take the nets job away from Ian eagle. I wonder if this means Kenny Albert is gone. I hope Brian mullen is.
You dismiss the completely tasteless and unprofessional method of telling a broadcaster, with 30 years covering a team, that he has to muzzle his criticism by saying "all great runs come to an end," but then question Marv's character without mentioning that it was YES who contacted him first?

OK

Old
06-16-2004, 09:49 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisian
You dismiss the completely tasteless and unprofessional method of telling a broadcaster, with 30 years covering a team, that he has to muzzle his criticism by saying "all great runs come to an end," but then question Marv's character without mentioning that it was YES who contacted him first?

OK
try getting your facts straight next time. he contacted YES not the other way around. all great runs come to end. marv shouldn't have been let back in the building after his biting thing back in 97. do you support all people that abuse women or just broadcasters?

Albert also was attacked by Francesa and co-host Chris Russo for trying to grab a job already held, by Ian Eagle, but they didn't make it clear whether YES or Albert initiated the discussion. A source last night said that with Albert's contract nearing expiration, his agent had, in fact, "reached out" to YES.
http://www.nypost.com/sports/25802.htm

Albert's MSG contract, reportedly worth more than $2 million, was due to expire at the end of next month. His representatives spoke with YES executives about calling Nets games several weeks ago. Albert also is checking out inquiries from the Lakers and Heat about broadcasting jobs, two sources familiar with the issue said last night.
http://www.newsday.com/sports/basket...y-knicks-print

Old
06-16-2004, 09:59 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:

OK
This whole Marv Albert story was first reported by Mike Francesa on WFAN at 5 yesterday afternoon.

Francesa reported ALBERT'S people contacted YES about taking Ian Eagle's job

YES informed Eagle that they talked to Albert and the Birdie will remain as the voice of the NETS

Can't Marv give someone else a chance to eat

Going after Eagle's job.He knows Eagle.Ian has had Marv on WFAN when the Birdie does talk shows on WFAN during the summer.Kenny Albert and Ian are very good friends.

Mike Breen was the voice of the Knicks when Marv was removed because his sexual tastes.When Marv was brought up,he pushed Breen to the curb.

How many Knick games does Marv do per year?Breen and Gus Johnson are always filling in for him while Marv does the TNT and MNF games.Voice of MSG?He stopped doing the Ranger games ten years ago and would miss 1/3 of the Knicks game due to his outside work.

The Garden was always good to Marv during his divorce when Marv was caught with his pants down having an affair the NY Jets assistant coach's(Mike Faulkner) wife.Heather eventually became his current wife.

Old
06-16-2004, 10:13 AM
Davisian

Quote:
try getting your facts straight next time.
First of all, no, I didn't think Marv should have been brought back AT ALL, but since he was I don't understand how you could defend MSG for trying to muzzle a broadcaster.

And second, since when is anything Fat boy and fruitloop say a fact?

My opinon on this matter is not to be a defense of Marv the person, but to be criticism the way a network is trying to turn an objective profession into a company shill machine.

If Marv did indeed contact YES first, then he deserves all criticism on that (biting) end, but I still don't hear any confirmation one way or another. And I will not take ANYTHING those two jackasses at WFAN have to say as fact.

Old
06-16-2004, 10:50 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
First of all, no, I didn't think Marv should have been brought back AT ALL, but since he was I don't understand how you could defend MSG for trying to muzzle a broadcaster.

And second, since when is anything Fat boy and fruitloop say a fact?

My opinon on this matter is not to be a defense of Marv the person, but to be criticism the way a network is trying to turn an objective profession into a company shill machine.

If Marv did indeed contact YES first, then he deserves all criticism on that (biting) end, but I still don't hear any confirmation one way or another. And I will not take ANYTHING those two jackasses at WFAN have to say as fact.
dude i gave you two newspaper sources. the post and newsday that both said marv contacted yes. i am not defending dolan. all i'm saying is look at the whole picture

Old
06-16-2004, 11:20 AM
Fotiu22

Send a message via AIM to Fotiu22
oh please, Marv's agent had a responsibility to "reach out" to any and every possible job as marv's contract is about to expire. if he didnt, he wouldnt be doing his job. Fact is, it's a free market and being "friendly" with someone who works in the same field as you is not the same as being "friends" with them. Marv's just trying to put some food on his family's table

oh yeah, and Mike and the Mad Dog are J**KOFFS!!

Old
06-16-2004, 11:38 AM
pld459666

Never a big fan of Marv's

so I won't miss him.

Old
06-16-2004, 11:43 AM
Davisian

Quote:
dude i gave you two newspaper sources. the post and newsday that both said marv contacted yes. i am not defending dolan. all i'm saying is look at the whole picture

The post story says its unclear and the Newsday uses "reports" that his "reps" contacted YES.

So the "whole picture" is that the Garden's sleaziness is just "a great run coming to an end" but Marv's and/or his reps alleged sleaziness says a lot about his (professional) character?

Old
06-16-2004, 11:58 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

No doubt Marv shouda been dumped for lack of character.

Maybe Billy Tibbetts could replace him?

Old
06-16-2004, 12:18 PM
Davisian

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor
No doubt Marv shouda been dumped for lack of character.

Maybe Billy Tibbetts could replace him?
Assuming you meant he should not have been re-hired, I agree.

But even if it was Tibbets, the criticism would still be valid. If Billy went into broadcasting, and some netwrok was dumb and insensitive enough to hire him, then there's no way they should be telling him how to cover a team.

I'm just so sick of conflicts of interests in sports that this just ticks me off. I'm not arguing for poor ole Marv, I'm just fed up with the MSG is run.

Old
06-16-2004, 05:15 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
The post story says its unclear and the Newsday uses "reports" that his "reps" contacted YES.

So the "whole picture" is that the Garden's sleaziness is just "a great run coming to an end" but Marv's and/or his reps alleged sleaziness says a lot about his (professional) character?
so two newspaper guys and two radio guys are all wrong? the post story doesn't say its unclear. read it again
source last night said that with Albert's contract nearing expiration, his agent had, in fact, "reached out" to YES.

marv albert isn't the victim here and dolan isn't the villian in this case either. (don't get me started on why the jets stadium is the best thing that can happen to the city)

i'm sorry if i don't let my blind hatred of the garden get into the way of my thought process. i understand its hard to do but marv albert isn't exactly unemployed. he has a basketball job with tnt and is the radio voice of monday night football.

Old
06-16-2004, 06:37 PM
Edge

what i find hysterical is that with all the problems this corporation has had, they fire the announcers..... That says something.

There's a reason why I'd never go back to Ny and take a position with the Rangers, it's gotta be one of the most backwards corporate projects in the world. I can assure that many announcers are indeed told to muzzle their comments.

Old
06-16-2004, 11:56 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

why don't we just say 'screw marv' and take the debate to the real question at hand:

is it right for broadcasters (a supposedly objective profession), paid by a said company, to be muzzled by their superiors in order to protect the company image? should the audience not get to hear what they want? should the audience not be entitled to chant "fire sather" or "dolan sucks"? is JD in the wrong to tell the viewers that the fans are indeed chanting "dolan sucks"?

Old
06-17-2004, 03:34 AM
Prucha73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
what i find hysterical is that with all the problems this corporation has had, they fire the announcers..... That says something.

There's a reason why I'd never go back to Ny and take a position with the Rangers, it's gotta be one of the most backwards corporate projects in the world. I can assure that many announcers are indeed told to muzzle their comments.

So you worked for the Rangers in the past?

Old
06-17-2004, 08:27 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8
is it right for broadcasters (a supposedly objective profession), paid by a said company, to be muzzled by their superiors in order to protect the company image? should the audience not get to hear what they want? should the audience not be entitled to chant "fire sather" or "dolan sucks"? is JD in the wrong to tell the viewers that the fans are indeed chanting "dolan sucks"?
Sam, JD and Marv are employees of Dolan. They are a promotional tool for the Rangers and Knicks. By accepting a position with the network, I'd say it comes with an understanding that you're going to promote the teams in a positive way whenever possible. I hold their assessment to a different standard than I do Brooks or Dellapina.

Closed Thread