HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

"Plekanec quietly emerging as one of game's top centers"

Old
11-18-2010, 02:43 PM
ashtraygirl

vCash: 500
"Plekanec quietly emerging as one of game's top centers"

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=543892

Quote:
MONTREAL-- If you ask the average hockey fan to name the top 10 scoring centers in the NHL, names will come fast and furious.

Sidney Crosby? No-brainer.

Steven Stamkos? Of course.

Henrik Sedin? Obviously.

But how many fans would know Tomas Plekanec of the Montreal Canadiens sits in a tie for eighth among NHL centers in points going into Thursday's games? Or that he was tied for 12th among centers last season, alongside such superstars as Eric Staal, Pavel Datsyuk and Vincent Lecavalier?

Probably not too many, and frankly, Plekanec doesn't lose too much sleep over it.

"Of course it would be nice to get the recognition, but I like it this way," Plekanec told NHL.com this week. "In Montreal you get that recognition every second of the day. So I wouldn't say it bothers me, but of course it would be nice."

Last edited by Watsatheo: 11-18-2010 at 03:43 PM. Reason: don't quote entire articles.
ashtraygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 02:52 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

I'm glad he signed at a nice price for his entire prime. I wonder how many people have eaten their words saying he's not worth it, and Price isn't worth 2.75(lol).

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 02:59 PM
Crystal Met

its unbelivable the progress he made since we drafted him. He always worked hard and it paid off. So proud this turtleneck is in the organisation! I still remember his first year i liked him even tough he was always slapping the puck 10 feet wide.. funny how out of the three rookies (plek,higgins,perezhogin), everybody tought he was the less talented ( 3rd line center ceilleing)...anyway, Good job Pleks

Crystal Met is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 03:04 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

I still can't believe he finished 26th in the Selke vote last season.

SergeConstantin74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 03:10 PM
Patccmoi

I remember all the talk of "we need a 1st line center, Plekanec is #3 at best on any decent team!".

Plek is clearly a #1 center now, and can be for years to come with the work ethic he has...

Patccmoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 03:12 PM
coolasprICE

on Plekanec.com site seems like the blogger is trying to get awareness for Selke consideration... pretty pathetic site though, with no comments

coolasprICE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 03:21 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

He's an ambitious player, he will not rest until becoming the best. He gets better every year.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 03:22 PM
jeanclaude

as an oldster he reminds me of lemaire, the same combination of defense and offense

jeanclaude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 03:24 PM
crystal ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
on Plekanec.com site seems like the blogger is trying to get awareness for Selke consideration... pretty pathetic site though, with no comments
The best Plekanec site, by a hundred miles, is www.tomasplekanec.net The site admin has done a ton of work to get every bit of Pleks info possible, and you can email questions that Pleks answers and they get posted on the site.

crystal ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 03:30 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal ball View Post
The best Plekanec site, by a hundred miles, is www.tomasplekanec.net The site admin has done a ton of work to get every bit of Pleks info possible, and you can email questions that Pleks answers and they get posted on the site.
Did this use to be Plek's blog? I vaguely remember him having a site that he ran which was essentially a blog before the term became popular (and before he became popular).

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 03:32 PM
Crystal Met

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogurt View Post
Did this use to be Plek's blog? I vaguely remember him having a site that he ran which was essentially a blog before the term became popular (and before he became popular).
nah that was plekanec.cze or something like that. I just found out about plekanec.net, thats where i took my awesome memento guy pearce looking plekanec and the magazine cover..

Crystal Met is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 03:36 PM
Bullsmith

How many guys sign a huge, long-term contract and then show up and play harder and better than ever from the first game of it? Plekanec's character is outstanding. How many people have the guts to say they played like a little girl?

Outstanding player, and an outstanding contract by Gauthier, frankly. I'm not saying he's better than Jeff Carter, but Carter's bargain priced cap hit runs for 5 years after Pleks already lengthy deal runs out. Gauthier managed to lock up a first line center at a decent price for his prime years only.

Total mancrush on Pleks, I admit it.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 03:38 PM
SB164

That summer Plekanec went home to Kladno in the Czech Republic and sought advice on what he was doing wrong. A trusted player taught him a lesson that had a profound impact on him.

I'm wondering who he talked to. Jagr maybe? I know that was his hockey idol growing up.

SB164 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 03:45 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 133
Plek is so great.

Id give tapes of his 1st season to Eller.

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 03:59 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal ball View Post
Does he answer stuff like Will I get that promotion at work? or Will I ever find true love? That would be cool.

andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 04:03 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Met View Post
its unbelivable the progress he made since we drafted him. He always worked hard and it paid off. So proud this turtleneck is in the organisation! I still remember his first year i liked him even tough he was always slapping the puck 10 feet wide.. funny how out of the three rookies (plek,higgins,perezhogin), everybody tought he was the less talented ( 3rd line center ceilleing)...anyway, Good job Pleks
As far as I can remember, I always liked Plekanec way better than Higgins (who I considered to have a poor reading of plays/poor skills) and Perezhogin (who looked like he had all the tools, but without the toolbox to put them in).

Plekanec's instincts and understanding of the game were pretty amazing, even in his rookie year.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 04:03 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKOTW View Post
I'm glad he signed at a nice price for his entire prime. I wonder how many people have eaten their words saying he's not worth it, and Price isn't worth 2.75(lol).
I have the same feeling. I thought it was just ridiculous that some fans didn't want to sign him for 5M$.

This guy fits in the team so well and he loves playing here. You don't find this combination often.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 04:04 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
That summer Plekanec went home to Kladno in the Czech Republic and sought advice on what he was doing wrong. A trusted player taught him a lesson that had a profound impact on him.

I'm wondering who he talked to. Jagr maybe? I know that was his hockey idol growing up.
That was indeed Jagr, and ever since the summer of 2009, they're actually training hard together in the summer and became best friends off the ice.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 04:12 PM
RaMMuT
Tank Nation 2012

www.tomasplekanec.net is pretty cool actually

I give him mad props Im buying his t-shirt very soon and next halloween Im gonna bust out the pleks t-shirt with a turtleneck under and a pinch (I already shave my head so its perfect)

RaMMuT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 04:20 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankEller View Post
That was indeed Jagr, and ever since the summer of 2009, they're actually training hard together in the summer and became best friends off the ice.
Nice, good for Pleks. Imagine being best friends with your childhood idol lol.

SB164 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 04:26 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaMMuT View Post
www.tomasplekanec.net is pretty cool actually

I give him mad props Im buying his t-shirt very soon and next halloween Im gonna bust out the pleks t-shirt with a turtleneck under and a pinch (I already shave my head so its perfect)
i wonder, do people who own www.tomasplekanec.com have the permission to own the domain names... it's pure violation otherwise.

coolasprICE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 04:28 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post

Yes it was Jagr.

EDIT: Bah... someone had already answered... and I have noting interesting to add!

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 04:31 PM
Patccmoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankEller View Post
They are slowly becoming closer and closer, until you can't tell them appart... Thomas Jagr will be there soon!

Patccmoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 04:32 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 0
It's truly wonderful to have a player this good that has grown with the organization from day 1.

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 02:58 AM
BlackStar

From the article:

Quote:
"Maybe a part of it is my fault, because I'm not the kind of person who tries to sell himself in the media," he said. "I'm usually out of the dressing room pretty quickly, not because I don't want to talk, it's just for me personally, as an individual, I don't need to be in the room and wait for someone to come and ask me questions. But if you do that, you're in the media every day. So maybe it's my fault, because if I were in the media more maybe I would get that recognition."
The man's humility is incredible. Total man-crush for the dude.

BlackStar is offline   Reply With Quote