HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Max Domi or Josh Morrissey?

Old
01-06-2015, 11:54 AM
Whileee

vCash: 500
Max Domi or Josh Morrissey?

Running up to the 2013 draft, quite a few Jets fans were excited about the possibility of drafting Max Domi. During the draft, there was some disappointment that Domi was selected by the Coyotes before the Jets' selection, and the Jets had to "settle" for Josh Morrissey.

Both players have just completed a successful WJHC tournament, and have been productive at the CHL level since being drafted. Though they play different positions, they have some similarities. They are both a bit under-sized, but don't shy away from physical play. They both have strong offensive skills.

I am interested in perspectives from fans around the NHL (including Winnipeg) about which player you'd prefer in your prospect list, Domi or Morrissey, and why?

Whileee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2015, 11:55 AM
R S
@avs_tweets

I'm a big believer in needing capable two-way defenders in order to become a good NHL team. So Morrissey for me.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2015, 11:56 AM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
Running up to the 2013 draft, quite a few Jets fans were excited about the possibility of drafting Max Domi. During the draft, there was some disappointment that Domi was selected by the Coyotes before the Jets' selection, and the Jets had to "settle" for Josh Morrissey.

Both players have just completed a successful WJHC tournament, and have been productive at the CHL level since being drafted. Though they play different positions, they have some similarities. They are both a bit under-sized, but don't shy away from physical play. They both have strong offensive skills.

I am interested in perspectives from fans around the NHL (including Winnipeg) about which player you'd prefer in your prospect list, Domi or Morrissey, and why?
Morissey quite easily for me.
I think he's going to be a much bigger impact player in the NHL. Given the choice between a scoring winger and a two way heavy hitting defenceman I'll take the D every time. They are just so hard to acquire.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2015, 12:06 PM
Jetabre
Laine to the Jets

Throw me in the boat of Jets fans that was like "Oh nice Tie Domi's son, do want" and also questioned the Morrissey pick at the time over a few others that were available still. Hindsight Morrissey was quite the savvy pick and I'd take him over Domi in a re-draft.

Jetabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2015, 12:13 PM
Mason the Goalie
@colinhuII

For a team like the 'peg Morrisey AINEC.

Mason the Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2015, 12:25 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

I like both.
When Domi went I started chanting Morrissey and Pulock.

Glad I got one of em.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2015, 12:35 PM
tony d
gatorade

Both are going to be good players but give me Morissey.

01-06-2015, 12:44 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by R S View Post
I'm a big believer in needing capable two-way defenders in order to become a good NHL team. So Morrissey for me.
This for me.

surixon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2015, 01:14 PM
StronGeer

Potential 45 point and responsible D > potential 65 point winger.

Morrissey for me.

StronGeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2015, 01:16 PM
ps241
.915 please Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
I like both.
When Domi went I started chanting Morrissey and Pulock.

Glad I got one of em.
You were literally the only guy on our Game Day draft board who was pumped (as I recall). I think the crowd was pulling for Domi but he went right before us. I was reminded this week that in the poll we ran about prospects in the #13 range that Gauthier won our fan poll.

At the official draft Party at the Shark club when Morrissey's name was announced there was confusion, audible gasps, draft lists thrown up in the air, and some booing, and half the crowd got up and left (pissed off), but almost 100% of the push back was that nobody (accept you, Holden, and Joe) new much if anything about Morrissey.

Once we scrambled around to find out more about our pick and started seeing the video footage of Josh the board came around really quickly on him because his style is visually appealing. It also didn't hurt that you were really pumping his tires and you tend to be more reserved and carry allot of weight due to your Spock like nature.

I will say that Domi has surprised me this tournament and I have come full circle on him. I always knew he had the offensive skills but I wasn't a huge fan of how he celebrated after goals in a semi taunting nature and I think that got the best of me over the past year and might have clouded my judgment. After seeing him play for Canada I realize he is a more dynamic offensive player than I thought, but he is also really competitive, comes back and plays D harder than I thought he would, and he is a straw that stirs the drink type player. He is a very feisty competitor and although sometimes it manifests itself in a fashion that rubs me the wrong way I do really admire his passion and compete level.

I am happy with Morrissey and with my homer goggles welded on tight I would chose him but the Yotes got a very good player in Domi at #12.

BTW he and Reinhart were a perfect pair.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2015, 01:28 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Domi will have bigger impact in the NHL. Domi.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2015, 01:31 PM
FoppaForsberg*

Morrisey for the avs

FoppaForsberg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2015, 01:46 PM
Gm0ney
Unicorns salient

It's pretty close. I think Morrissey will be a good defenseman in the NHL - he's not big, but he's a great skater, good decision maker and can move the puck well. I think he's in a good system with the Jets organization and will be the eventual successor to Toby Enstrom as the top pairing LD.

Domi plays that pesty game but with pretty elite offensive skill...good career ahead for him - and the Coyotes are bad enough this year to have a shot at McDavid or Eichel...he could really tear it up.

So, yeah...I'm calling it a tie (no pun intended).

Gm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2015, 01:52 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Domi has a non stop engine...that's hard to find in players. He kinda of plays similar to, Jaden Schwartz, but def has the same never stop engine...that really pays off.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2015, 02:10 PM
hockeystick89

Max Domi always gave me Nazem Kadri vibes. I think he will a good NHL player, but it may take him a little longer to become an impact player than Morrisey. I think both will have solid, yet dramatically different careers.

hockeystick89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2015, 02:29 PM
Steve

Both had great tournaments, but I'll take Morrisey. I really like his game, top to bottom.

Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2015, 02:32 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

Well, this may be a cop out, but it worked well for both teams.

If I was Phoenix with OEL-Yandle-Gormley on the left side already, I still take Domi ahead of J-Mo.

For the Jets, who have Trouba-Bogosian for years to come on RD, and were able to get Ehlers in the next draft, J-Mo is a better fit than Domi.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2015, 02:36 PM
The Ultimate Warrior
F l a m e s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post

If I was Phoenix with OEL-Yandle-Gormley on the left side already, I still take Domi ahead of J-Mo.

For the Jets, who have Trouba-Bogosian for years to come on RD, and were able to get Ehlers in the next draft, J-Mo is a better fit than Domi.
Lets stop this logical nonsense

... Hit the nail on the head. There is no right or wrong answer. It's completely situational for each team. Both look to be on successful paths to their respective NHL careers. If I were picking for the Flames i'd lean slightly towards Morrissey because of our lack of depth on the blueline.

The Ultimate Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2015, 02:37 PM
Exit Dose

Morrissey

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2015, 02:40 PM
XX
It's finally over

I'd prefer Domi if my roster lacked offensive talent. I'd probably take Morrissey if there were no glaring holes anywhere. As a Coyote fan, Domi was the right call. A couple teams tried to trade up into that spot if I remember right, including the Jets.

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2015, 02:44 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
You were literally the only guy on our Game Day draft board who was pumped (as I recall). I think the crowd was pulling for Domi but he went right before us. I was reminded this week that in the poll we ran about prospects in the #13 range that Gauthier won our fan poll.

At the official draft Party at the Shark club when Morrissey's name was announced there was confusion, audible gasps, draft lists thrown up in the air, and some booing, and half the crowd got up and left (pissed off), but almost 100% of the push back was that nobody (accept you, Holden, and Joe) new much if anything about Morrissey.

Once we scrambled around to find out more about our pick and started seeing the video footage of Josh the board came around really quickly on him because his style is visually appealing. It also didn't hurt that you were really pumping his tires and you tend to be more reserved and carry allot of weight due to your Spock like nature.

I will say that Domi has surprised me this tournament and I have come full circle on him. I always knew he had the offensive skills but I wasn't a huge fan of how he celebrated after goals in a semi taunting nature and I think that got the best of me over the past year and might have clouded my judgment. After seeing him play for Canada I realize he is a more dynamic offensive player than I thought, but he is also really competitive, comes back and plays D harder than I thought he would, and he is a straw that stirs the drink type player. He is a very feisty competitor and although sometimes it manifests itself in a fashion that rubs me the wrong way I do really admire his passion and compete level.

I am happy with Morrissey and with my homer goggles welded on tight I would chose him but the Yotes got a very good player in Domi at #12.

BTW he and Reinhart were a perfect pair.
I second this post. I dislike Domi exactly the way you do and like you, it probably clouds my judgement. I see him as a Brendan Gallagher type. I'll bet he can be really annoying.

Edit: Annoying to the opposition I meant. He might annoy everybody else too but that is beside the point.

Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2015, 02:45 PM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeystick89 View Post
Max Domi always gave me Nazem Kadri vibes. I think he will a good NHL player, but it may take him a little longer to become an impact player than Morrisey. I think both will have solid, yet dramatically different careers.
Domi is a drastically superior skater compared to Kadri.

weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2015, 02:48 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post

Interesting take...

The Jets have needed some high-end skill and a really good puck-moving D on the left side in their organization.

From the 2013 and 2014 drafts, the Jets could conceivably have ended up with Domi and Fleury, but since both those players were selected ahead of the Jets' pick they ended up with Ehlers and Morrissey. I like how it turned out.

Whileee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2015, 02:49 PM
Perfect_Drug

Morrisey.

No offense to Domi, but I think it's gonna be really tough for him to crack an NHL roster.

Mainly size issues, and most of what I see him utilizing might not transition well to the big leagues.

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2015, 02:51 PM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
Morrisey.

No offense to Domi, but I think it's gonna be really tough for him to crack an NHL roster.

Mainly size issues, and most of what I see him utilizing might not transition well to the big leagues.
I totally disagree.
Domi's most impressive skill trait right now is his elite skating and that translates almost 100% nowadays especially when the player has hands to boot. Domi could step onto many teams right this second and be a usefull 3 zone player.

weems is offline   Reply With Quote