Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Jason Zucker

Old
11-23-2010, 05:20 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
he should be at least a nystrom in the NHL, i would think.

rynryn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 06:08 PM
saywut

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
he should be at least a nystrom in the NHL, i would think.
Nystrom was a very promising player after an 18 goal freshman season before being drafted 10th overall by the Flames. However, he regressed after that freshman season, scoring only 38 goals in his next 3 seasons. Nystrom and Zucker are fairly different prospects. Zucker's a noticeable amount smaller, but also quicker with what will likely be a better shot. Its highly unlikely Zucker will be the caliber of fighter that Eric Nystrom is as well. I'd say Casey Wellman would be a better comparison, though Zucker is quite a bit ahead of Wellman at the same age. Quick, hard working 2-way forward with a respectable shot.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 06:19 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by saywut View Post
Nystrom was a very promising player after an 18 goal freshman season before being drafted 10th overall by the Flames. However, he regressed after that freshman season, scoring only 38 goals in his next 3 seasons. Nystrom and Zucker are fairly different prospects. Zucker's a noticeable amount smaller, but also quicker with what will likely be a better shot. Its highly unlikely Zucker will be the caliber of fighter that Eric Nystrom is as well. I'd say Casey Wellman would be a better comparison, though Zucker is quite a bit ahead of Wellman at the same age. Quick, hard working 2-way forward with a respectable shot.
i'm talking about roles...It sounds as though Zucker is quite physical and if his scoring doesn't translate to the NHL (chances are it won't) I think he could be a quick in-your-face player that isn't completely lost in the offensive zone.

I wouldn't call Wellman a two-way forward btw.

Old
11-23-2010, 06:43 PM
saywut

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
i'm talking about roles...It sounds as though Zucker is quite physical and if his scoring doesn't translate to the NHL (chances are it won't) I think he could be a quick in-your-face player that isn't completely lost in the offensive zone.

I wouldn't call Wellman a two-way forward btw.
Haven't seen anything from Wellman that screams skilled forward to be honest. He's got the work ethic to be a 2-way guy.

Yes, Zucker's goal scoring is unlikely to translate into more than a 20 goal guy. But Eric Nystrom is a one-time 10 goal scorer at the age of 27. Clutterbuck-lite could be another comparison, as I don't see Zucker getting as heavy as Cal. Kobasew would be a better comparison than Nystrom as well. At this point for me, its all about progression. If he scores 20 this year, I want 20 next year at least.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 07:08 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by saywut View Post
Haven't seen anything from Wellman that screams skilled forward to be honest. He's got the work ethic to be a 2-way guy.

Yes, Zucker's goal scoring is unlikely to translate into more than a 20 goal guy. But Eric Nystrom is a one-time 10 goal scorer at the age of 27. Clutterbuck-lite could be another comparison, as I don't see Zucker getting as heavy as Cal. Kobasew would be a better comparison than Nystrom as well. At this point for me, its all about progression. If he scores 20 this year, I want 20 next year at least.
i haven't seen anything from wellman that says he's competent defensively. he could learn that of course...but for now i'd say he either makes it in a scoring role or he doesn't make it at all.

Kobasew would be a better comparison, i agree. Nystrom was supposed to be a scoring forward but he adapted his game--i can see Zucker doing the same thing. Maybe his pestiness can earn him time, maybe he fills in on injury and becomes a surprise along the lines of burrows. Best case right there.