HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Valabik

Closed Thread

Old
06-17-2004, 06:36 PM
RaTcine

vCash: 500
Valabik

Am I the only one here that dreams that the Habs pick him up in the first round?
I guess we'll need to trade up to catch him

Old
06-17-2004, 06:42 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaTcine
Am I the only one here that dreams that the Habs pick him up in the first round?
I guess we'll need to trade up to catch him
I am with you, he's number one on my list!

Old
06-17-2004, 06:42 PM
RaTcine

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB
I am with you, he's number one on my list!
Where do you expect him to be draft?
Top10 ?

Old
06-17-2004, 06:47 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaTcine
Where do you expect him to be draft?
Top10 ?
not in top 10 rather 15-20

Old
06-17-2004, 06:58 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

I dunno... I'm not very high on him... I won't be sad if ever we draft him, but personally he's not my choice at all. Again, Trevor Timmins is good enough to see if there's enough upside in Valabik to pick him...

Old
06-17-2004, 07:06 PM
theo6060

I personally wouldn't mind seeing them take him. I've never seen him play, but I do like the scouting reports I have read. Could be a big, physical player with a mean streak that the team needs.

Old
06-17-2004, 07:14 PM
Russian Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Russian Fan
I would prefer by far Kirill Lyamin who can be physical & very mean while having a little offensive upside.

Valabik just sound to me like the NEXT Branislav Mezei, Kristian Kudroc, Dan Focht of this world. A guy very hype just for his size & will need to progress a lot just to make it as a #5-6 NHL D.

Just my opinion but I see him very much as a future bust.

Old
06-17-2004, 07:28 PM
Alouette_19

Normally AS and TT like players with good skating....even Komisarek have some good skating abilities. I don't know that guy (Valabik) but the reports don't show him like a good skater for is size....Same thing for Graham

Quote:
Valabik just sound to me like the NEXT Branislav Mezei, Kristian Kudroc, Dan Focht of this world. A guy very hype just for his size & will need to progress a lot just to make it as a #5-6 NHL D.

I agree with that.

I know people like size but the power forward are normally in the top10 (Doan, Bertuzzi, Thornton, Lecavalier, Legwand(???), Nash) not after and same thing for strong defenceman like Pronger, Jovanovski, etc.....ok we can see exception but normally those big players are like Turner Stevenson, Terry Ryan or Kristian Kudroc BUST

Personnally I want Thelen (but he will not be available for Habs) so maybe Meszaros ???

(Sorry for my English )

Old
06-17-2004, 07:28 PM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian Fan
I would prefer by far Kirill Lyamin who can be physical & very mean while having a little offensive upside.

I pretty much agree. He big like troll, but doesnt seem to have much offence even at junior levels. We have few of those stay-at-home types already. I'd much rather have Green, Fransson or Thelen instead as far as defencemen go (if Meszaros is not available).

Old
06-17-2004, 07:45 PM
Russian Fan

This draft is a lot about defensman & we have some good one who can turn out to be some real good #3-4 in the NHL (I'm realistic, people tend to put #1-2 D so easily) & Valabik is to me the worst pick you can get.

Sure he can turn out to be Chara II but the risk involve is that high.

The same thing apply with Kyle Chipchura, seems like a lot of people forgot our great friend Chad Kilger.

Old
06-17-2004, 07:48 PM
Russian Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alouette_19
so maybe Meszaros ???

(Sorry for my English )
I would be shock !! to see Meszaros out of the top 15 but that's just me, I didnt see a lot of the D but from what I read you got Barker and after you got Meszaros, Smid, Thelen & maybe for some experts Green can be include.

P.S Your english is fine, don't worry about it.

Old
06-17-2004, 07:49 PM
blueberry

I read that graham was a pretty good skater!

Old
06-17-2004, 07:50 PM
H3ro

Quote:
This draft is a lot about defensman & we have some good one who can turn out to be some real good #3-4 in the NHL (I'm realistic, people tend to put #1-2 D so easily) & Valabik is to me the worst pick you can get.
Sure he can turn out to be Chara II but the risk involve is that high.

The same thing apply with Kyle Chipchura, seems like a lot of people forgot our great friend Chad Kilger.
That's also my opinion... I would be really pissed if we use a mid-first round pick for a guy like Valabik... I have absolutely no faith in Valabik, by what I've read since the beginning of the year.

Old
06-17-2004, 08:27 PM
tinyzombies

Graham is a good skater with good hands and has size and he showed a lot of grit at the end of the season... this could be the guy we go for.... maybe he's a sleeping Frederik Modin.

Old
06-17-2004, 09:11 PM
Komo-Ronny

I wouldn't pick Valabik, i like his mean streak and his grit and brute force, but he kinds of reminds me of Mathieu Biron who didn't live up to his expectations. Sad to say, but i don't think he'll be he next Chara.

Old
06-17-2004, 09:12 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

I don't want Valabik and I don't care for Graham. I don't really want a big guy who will always take some bad penalty...I want a player who will give all what he have and who will be able to score. Valabik can give all what he have but can't score. Korpikoski is my choice. He remind me a bigger Saku Koivu. I love the Fins

Old
06-17-2004, 09:15 PM
markov`

Quote:
I would be shock !! to see Meszaros out of the top 15 but that's just me, I didnt see a lot of the D but from what I read you got Barker and after you got Meszaros, Smid, Thelen & maybe for some experts Green can be include.

I agree with you Russian Fan. I think Meszaros is the defenseman with the higher upside in this draft.

I also agree that your english is very good Alouette_19. Don't worry, I'm a french-boy too, I'm only 15 and when I came here first, I could barely speak english. The people here are very friendly...just don't worry.

Old
06-17-2004, 09:28 PM
Alouette_19

Quote:
I know that ISS rank Meszaros before all those D. I never saw this player but Thelen and Barker should be in front of him.....But I agree that this guy is top 15 stuff....Personnally I think that if Meszaros is select before the Habs, AS&TT will take Korpikoski

Old
06-17-2004, 09:41 PM
markov`

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alouette_19
I know that ISS rank Meszaros before all those D. I never saw this player but Thelen and Barker should be in front of him.....But I agree that this guy is top 15 stuff....Personnally I think that if Meszaros is select before the Habs, AS&TT will take Korpikoski
Meszaros has more upside than both Barker & Thelen in my opinion. But he seems boom or bust a little. I'd take Cameron Barker before Meszaros, but I'd take Meszaros before Thelen...

Old
06-18-2004, 09:20 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
For about the first time ever on this draft subject, I believe, I have to agree with you on this one!

I've seen Valabik a few times, and I'm not ready to take the risk either. Sure, he could be a very useful defenseman, but I can see him being more of a nastier Kjell Samuelsson than a Chara. The Chara possibility is always there too, but if you're going by percentages, I'd guess:

5% - not even a Focht/Kudroc (they've at least had a cup of coffee in the NHL)
50% - another Focht/Kudroc
40% - a nastier Kjell Samuelsson
5% - something approaching a Chara

Since there will be a ton of other defensemen who might be available at #18 (Meszaros, Smid, Green, even perhaps O'Neill, Wharton, Lyamin, Fransson at a reach), then I'm happier with some of the others.

Of course, a lot of NHL teams would love a "nastier Kjell Samuelsson". That's not actually such a bad thing. Just not a big interest of mine, relative to the other players who could be available.

(I really wish we had another later pick in the 1st round, or an early 2nd rounder, because it would be ideal to be able to walk away from this draft with a Korpikoski/Chipchura/Radulov/Wolski forward at #18, then a Lyamin or some other defenseman just a little bit later.)

Old
06-18-2004, 11:39 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I like Valabik a lot, I'd be happy if we got him. I like Graham although I never saw him play with any grit, which is a concern but I guess I was expected a physical player for being such a big guy. He skates very well, then add in his size and it's impressive.

Korpikoski seems like our kind of pick that should be on board when we pick.

Kaspar, Sindel, Voloshenko, Lisin, all should be on board when we pick

Chipchura, Green, Berti, Bickell, Wheeler, Pineault, Zajac, O'Neil, Wharton, should all be on board when we pick (maybe not Chipchura)

Radulov, Smid, Meszaros, Valabik could be on board when we pick

Lots and lots of options.

Closed Thread