HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread.

Closed Thread

Old
05-31-2012, 06:36 PM
jsykes

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman View Post
You can still get over the boards if you're on the shorter side...
Step up on the bench with one skate and propel yourself over. Easy as that.
I think the issue is more coming off the ice than getting on. Most rinks I've seen, the boards are a lot higher from ice level than they are from the bench.

Old
05-31-2012, 07:15 PM
michaelshu

Send a message via Yahoo to michaelshu Send a message via Skype™ to michaelshu
on average, how old are these d-bags you guys been talking about?

about benches, i'm 5'6 and i can jump over any boards.. butt first though.

Old
05-31-2012, 07:35 PM
Frankie Spankie

The deuchebags I see on the ice are almost always under 30. I don't see too many of them, it's usually older guys I play with, but it seems like more often than not, the younger people I play with are deuchebags.

Old
05-31-2012, 09:37 PM
goalie29

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmechanic View Post
I'm 5'2" and have no problem jumping the boards. I grab the rail with my gloves and boost my butt onto the rail. Then I hop down onto the ice. You need decent balance to drop a few inches onto the ice without falling..
A few inches? One of the rinks I play at there's a full foot drop to step on the ice through the gate. The boards come up almost to my armpits when I'm on the ice. You guys must have some tiny boards.

Old
05-31-2012, 09:40 PM
dwreckm

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie29 View Post
A few inches? One of the rinks I play at there's a full foot drop to step on the ice through the gate. The boards come up almost to my armpits when I'm on the ice. You guys must have some tiny boards.
Some of these boards sound like you can't even see the ice when you're sitting on the bench, unless you use the bleachers as your boards. Quite frankly, I though having like 4 foot boards or so was normal, as all the ice rinks I've been in have been at that height.

Old
05-31-2012, 11:15 PM
michaelshu

Send a message via Yahoo to michaelshu Send a message via Skype™ to michaelshu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie View Post
The deuchebags I see on the ice are almost always under 30. I don't see too many of them, it's usually older guys I play with, but it seems like more often than not, the younger people I play with are deuchebags.
Huh, so it's mostly the same everywhere else. It's the younger ones who are always trying to prove something.

Old
06-01-2012, 07:52 AM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelshu View Post
Huh, so it's mostly the same everywhere else. It's the younger ones who are always trying to prove something.
I always wondered the psychological side of it to be honest.

Is it younger people trying to prove something to the older guys?

Is it younger people pissed that they're in the beer leagues when they think they should be in some kind of semi-pro league?

Or is it just older guys who realize it's just a game and all that extra crap just isn't worth it because they have families to go back to.

Obviously they're not ALL young, you still get head cases at all ages but the percentage drops down drastically. I'd say that with all the guys I've played that are under 30, about a third of them are deuchebags (it's sad really.) Out of everybody over 30, it's easily less than 1%, let's just say that out of all of them that I played with, I've only seen 2. Although it's kind of funny because I'm the youngest most places I play (I'm 23 but didn't start playing hockey until 17) and I get along much better with the older guys. Probably because they're joking around as much as I am while the younger guys take it too seriously.

Old
06-01-2012, 08:22 AM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie29 View Post
Uh, it sounds like you have some huge boards. Or you're REALLY short.

Old
06-01-2012, 09:27 AM
windycity

Quote:

Is it younger people pissed that they're in the beer leagues when they think they should be in some kind of semi-pro league?

Or is it just older guys who realize it's just a game and all that extra crap just isn't worth it because they have families to go back to.

Obviously they're not ALL young, you still get head cases at all ages but the percentage drops down drastically. I'd say that with all the guys I've played that are under 30, about a third of them are deuchebags (it's sad really.) Out of everybody over 30, it's easily less than 1%, let's just say that out of all of them that I played with, I've only seen 2. Although it's kind of funny because I'm the youngest most places I play (I'm 23 but didn't start playing hockey until 17) and I get along much better with the older guys. Probably because they're joking around as much as I am while the younger guys take it too seriously.
I think you need to apologize to that guy for elbowing him in the elbow with your face . . .

I kid, I kid, I hate it when guys act like a beer league game is the 7th game of the SC Finals

Old
06-01-2012, 10:03 AM
Danglous

Quote:

Some older guys get mad at me because I play hard. Im a 22 year old rec player. I have nothing to prove to anybody, but no matter what level of play (even pickup) I'm always competing. Im not a *********, I dont even celebrate when I score. I just play hard. Some guys yell at me when they get outplayed or outworked but I dont think thats my fault

I have noticed alot of the younger guys are only out for themselves. They try to show off, they dont pass, and when they score they are obnoxious about it. I try to stay away from these players. Most of the guys 24+ are mature enough to know better and I notice they just play for the love of the game

Old
06-01-2012, 10:53 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I don't think any boards are higher than my waist at 5'8. I'll check tonight.

The only two rinks I've played with taller boards were Mariucci (Gophers) and XCel (Wild).

Old
06-01-2012, 10:58 AM
Chalupa Batman
Mod Supervisor

The old rink in Ames (Iowa) used to have tremendously tall boards - even some of our college-aged ACHA players would have trouble with those.

Of course, what I remember about the old rink in Ames was that the ice was crooked - if I was standing in my crease in my natural stance, I would slowly drift towards the downhill part of the rink (the side with the player benches). I had to stand in a permanent sort of t-stop to prevent it.

Old
06-01-2012, 10:59 AM
itsjustsurvival
The Revisionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dikkens View Post
Some older guys get mad at me because I play hard. Im a 22 year old rec player. I have nothing to prove to anybody, but no matter what level of play (even pickup) I'm always competing. Im not a *********, I dont even celebrate when I score. I just play hard. Some guys yell at me when they get outplayed or outworked but I dont think thats my fault

I have noticed alot of the younger guys are only out for themselves. They try to show off, they dont pass, and when they score they are obnoxious about it. I try to stay away from these players. Most of the guys 24+ are mature enough to know better and I notice they just play for the love of the game
It is not. Nothing wrong with competing hard. (Coming from a 25 year old who does the same.)

Old
06-01-2012, 11:12 AM
rinkrat22

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustsurvival View Post
It is not. Nothing wrong with competing hard. (Coming from a 25 year old who does the same.)
hey I'll be 40 in a couple of months and I never quit on a puck, I think in the situation like you describe its more of a way of saying " damn I'm getting old" then "stop trying so hard" no matter what the words coming out of our mouths. thats pretty much a universal feeling for us veteran players

Old
06-01-2012, 11:18 AM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I don't think any boards are higher than my waist at 5'8. I'll check tonight.

The only two rinks I've played with taller boards were Mariucci (Gophers) and XCel (Wild).
The first time my son's Pee Wee team got to play at HP Pavilion where the Sharks play, a bunch of them tried to go over the boards for the first change on the fly. It was hilarious. The ice was about 12" further down and none of them anticipated it. All three of them wound up in a pile on the ice. Even they thought it was funny.

Old
06-01-2012, 11:30 AM
jsykes

Boards will obviously vary from rink to rink.

At the rink I work and play at, there is a difference of about 8" from standing on the bench and standing on the ice. Our bench floors are even with the dasher board, so you have that distance more when standing on the ice. You step up when you go through the door on to the bench.

So for me, when I'm standing on the bench, the boards come to my crotch, while when standing on the ice they come almost to my belly button.

It makes it quite easy to jump onto the ice from the bench, but a bit harder when going from the ice.

Old
06-03-2012, 09:53 PM
KidRobot

Send a message via AIM to KidRobot
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymass View Post
Sounds like my 5th grade roller hockey team.
you guys would probably could have beaten us.

Old
06-03-2012, 10:34 PM
SCritical

I feel terrible...I kept losing my temper with these teenage girls on my team last night. they must have felt like that cranky old byatch was on their case constantly.

I've had a rant about their drifting on here before, and it's true, they just don't try. We're talking about girls who have been playing for four years yet can't seem to sprint, cross over, pass or carry the puck - actually I don't know if they can't, or if they're just choosing not to.

But it's when they carry their 'who cares, skating is for dweebs.' attitude to the bench that I have a hard time biting my tongue.

I had just come off so I took my place on the bench behind the three girls. As I sat down the center came off as he stood at the gate waiting for the change they rolled their eyes at him and called to me "Hey Sitch, get on the ice!"
I reminded them that they were ahead of me, so one of them should go.
"But we don't feel like it!"
...lolwut?
I told them I was disappointed in them. Imagine that! And I'd already gone off at them that night for calling a girl in the club who has Asperger syndrome a retard. I'm going to have to switch to the D side of the bench I think because I just can't keep civil around them

Old
06-04-2012, 05:42 AM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCritical View Post
I feel terrible...I kept losing my temper with these teenage girls on my team last night. they must have felt like that cranky old byatch was on their case constantly.
I've had a rant about their drifting on here before, and it's true, they just don't try. We're talking about girls who have been playing for four years yet can't seem to sprint, cross over, pass or carry the puck - actually I don't know if they can't, or if they're just choosing not to.
But it's when they carry their 'who cares, skating is for dweebs.' attitude to the bench that I have a hard time biting my tongue.
I had just come off so I took my place on the bench behind the three girls. As I sat down the center came off as he stood at the gate waiting for the change they rolled their eyes at him and called to me "Hey Sitch, get on the ice!"
I reminded them that they were ahead of me, so one of them should go.
"But we don't feel like it!"
...lolwut?
I told them I was disappointed in them. Imagine that! And I'd already gone off at them that night for calling a girl in the club who has Asperger syndrome a retard. I'm going to have to switch to the D side of the bench I think because I just can't keep civil around them
If they don't want to play, why are they there?

Old
06-04-2012, 06:34 AM
SCritical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman View Post
If they don't want to play, why are they there?
Shameless puck bunnies. Their entire family is obsessed with our local AIHL team. When they're not stinking up our house bench their hobbies include stalking said team across the country, crashing their funcions and leaving creepy messages on their facebook fan page.

but that's a whole other rant.

Old
06-04-2012, 07:55 AM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Shameless puck bunnies. Their entire family is obsessed with our local AIHL team. When they're not stinking up our house bench their hobbies include stalking said team across the country, crashing their funcions and leaving creepy messages on their facebook fan page.

oh jeez. When they start to waste ice time on shifts and insulting teammates because of a disability, it does make you question if you want to play on the same team as they do.

Old
06-04-2012, 09:00 AM
TUCKER 06

Quote:

This kinda crap drives me nuts.

Old
06-04-2012, 12:41 PM
OilerNut*

I got kicked off my beer league team for not being good enough last year even though I was going through some health issues. Been on the team for nearly 10 years. So awesome...

Old
06-04-2012, 02:12 PM
Wildturkey12
Do It!

vCash: 2400
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
I got kicked off my beer league team for not being good enough last year even though I was going through some health issues. Been on the team for nearly 10 years. So awesome...
Sounds like you are better off not being with guys who would do that anyways.

Old
06-04-2012, 04:19 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
Wow.
Sounds like you're better off playing with a fun group.
Guess you didn't have a no-trade clause in your contract?

I'd be pissed.

Closed Thread