HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread.

Closed Thread

Old
10-29-2012, 11:10 AM
FANonymous

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaallMunson18 View Post
Best idea ever.

You're right. Paying people money, even if it isn't much, to not be able to do their job is a much better alternative.

Old
10-29-2012, 11:34 AM
Suddenly7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Got blown out 10-2 by a team that didn't have three guys wearing the same jerseys. Pretty much all ringers playing down a level.
That is honesty mess up. Last season I had a completely different team show up in the playoffs. My team were all beginners playing against guys I would usually play against in the upper leagues. The game ended 11-2.

I'm okay with having a ringer on your team if the other team has some as well, but when you bring a whole line it's a disadvantage.

Old
10-29-2012, 11:45 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly7 View Post
That is honesty mess up. Last season I had a completely different team show up in the playoffs. My team were all beginners playing against guys I would usually play against in the upper leagues. The game ended 11-2.

I'm okay with having a ringer on your team if the other team has some as well, but when you bring a whole line it's a disadvantage.
It was ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. At our level, usually there's 2-3 guys on any team who can skate and snipe and the rest are guys who kind of plug along. This was all guys who could skate and snipe. I mean technically each individual player might have been able to skate down at this level, but not the entire frickin team.

Old
10-29-2012, 01:25 PM
RandV
It's a wolf

vCash: 50
Quote:
It was ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. At our level, usually there's 2-3 guys on any team who can skate and snipe and the rest are guys who kind of plug along. This was all guys who could skate and snipe. I mean technically each individual player might have been able to skate down at this level, but not the entire frickin team.
Only time this is acceptable is if that's actually going to be their team this year and they're playing to get bumped up. If you're that much better then you need to show it to the league organizers on the scoreboard so they bump you up faster, no point in taking it easy on the weak teams and getting stuck in the division.

If it is a one time thing for the team though then yeah it is pretty much a dick move.

Old
10-29-2012, 02:03 PM
expy

Quote:
Got blown out 10-2 by a team that didn't have three guys wearing the same jerseys. Pretty much all ringers playing down a level.
Worse is when you play Division 1 and there is no upper level.

Old
10-29-2012, 02:52 PM
STC

Hi, new poster. Live in Chicago and play on 5 teams in various leagues. My biggest gripe lately happened in last night's game. I'm 42 and just joined a team in an over 35 league. In Chicago there aren't very many over 30 or over 35 or 40 leagues. In fact, I can only think of 4 in the Chicago and the northern suburbs. There are no divisions within those leagues, all players are grouped into one league regardless of skill. The only qualifier is that you must be the right age.

A little history....I'm 42 and just had my 7th back surgery back in March. Just talked to a neurosurgeon recently who said I was a medical miracle that I could even still skate and on the other hand I was also an idiot for even trying. But, I need the exercise and its either hockey or the boring elliptical for the rest of my life. Plus I love the game obviously.

So anyway, I joined a team in over 35 league and it turns out we have a really good team. We've been blowing the other teams out through the first 3 games. Last night the ref skated by our bench and said we had no business being in this league. That really upset me. In my prime I was an A level player and despite my bad health I am still the best guy on my team, but I'm slow as molassess these days and have permanent nerve damage in my left leg from my latest surgery so its not like I'm blowing by guys left and right. Its not like we have a choice of playing in a more competitive league or division, not unless we wanted to move up to the B league and play against the kids.

At this point in my life with my health I don't want anything to do with the kids anymore. It would be one thing if we were sandbagging and playing in a C league when A was an option, but like I said, there are no other options for aging players who don't want to play vs kids.

I run a team in a different over 30 league and have for a number of years. We've won the league 7 of the 8 seasons we have been together and there are some teams at the bottom who give us crap for being in the league. But, its a 12 team league and its the only division they have so what else are we supposed to do? I'm not going to apologize for the fact that I put together a good team full of guys who are over 30 and can play. We are always last in penalty minutes so its not like we are bullying the other teams.

Anyway, thanks for the chance to vent. Gonna read through this whole thread later today when I have the chance and will be a frequent poster here since I play 4-5x a week.

Old
10-29-2012, 03:03 PM
Splitbtw
Free Torres!

Gets me every time. I am mind-boggled by the players that will actively play the body, dish out body checks and generally be okay with contact as long as they are the ones administering it. However, when you go to return the favor, they are the first ones that loose it mentally, whine and moan to the refs at every turn, and throw out the empty threats.

I personally don't mind the physical aspect of the game and certainly don't mind being on the receiving end of a solid play. I just could do without 'I can dish it out but not take it' mentality.

Old
10-29-2012, 03:06 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Looks like a double edged sword.

On one hand, everything you're doing is by the books and kosher with the league rules. On the other hand, your success could be so frustrating for the other teams that it could kill the league.

Rec league is a funny thing...it's really hard to evaluate players for the correct level while keeping some parity. Most guys can either play at a higher or lower level so they can find a team, but if too many of those guys play at the lower level, that team can dominate, like the guys we played.

If I ran that league and it was fairly small, I'd probably opt to do a draft after each year. That way everyone knows everyone else and the talent gets split up. Or have you merge with another team and split in two so the talent gets divvied up. You can't just have one team running the show 7 of 8 years.

Old
10-29-2012, 05:39 PM
JR97

Quote:
Looks like a double edged sword.

On one hand, everything you're doing is by the books and kosher with the league rules. On the other hand, your success could be so frustrating for the other teams that it could kill the league.

Rec league is a funny thing...it's really hard to evaluate players for the correct level while keeping some parity. Most guys can either play at a higher or lower level so they can find a team, but if too many of those guys play at the lower level, that team can dominate, like the guys we played.

If I ran that league and it was fairly small, I'd probably opt to do a draft after each year. That way everyone knows everyone else and the talent gets split up. Or have you merge with another team and split in two so the talent gets divvied up. You can't just have one team running the show 7 of 8 years.
Drafts don't really work in my experience unless you're just charging per individual and the pool of players is small enough that guys know enough people to be buddies with them. Most guys want to play with their buddies.

One solution is to automatically move teams up a division based on their record and goal differential. In our league the champion of the lowest division would automatically get bumped up for at least 1 season. That hasn't been the case the 2 years because the team that's won the championship didn't roll through the regular season. They were just able to win in the playoffs. But the teams that were winning by 6,7,8 goals a game every game did get bumped. The option was also given to them to lose the ringer player(s) if it was apparent that there only a few players tearing it up for that team.

The one place I saw where there wasn't too much ringer crap going on was on my old roller league. I think that the reason it worked was because the difference between one level and the next wasn't too extreme. So D to C wasn't night and day. C to B wasn't either. But obviously B to D was a big pretty jump. There ended up being a B1, B2, and C1, C2 to handle all of the players at those caliber levels that wanted to play more than one league a season rather than guys playing down a level. Which seems to more the case than guys playing up a level.

Old
10-29-2012, 05:42 PM
JR97

Forgot to add that one of the leagues I play in now is a draft league. It's pretty much a "friendly" draft in that most teams draft the players they want to play with but there is the opportunity to poach someone. It's a pretty friendly league anyway and most people somewhat know each other and have been team mates with each other at some point. It's also one of the lowest skilled leagues I've ever played in which seems to help for some reason.

Old
10-29-2012, 08:10 PM
Macak
Rookie User

Over 40, if you want to have fun, it's better to play with friends or relative. This way, you don't have to vent.

Old
10-29-2012, 08:19 PM
STC

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit42 View Post
Guys that are pretty much out of control and have zero idea what their doing. Was skating in a pickup game last night and a guy who could barely stand fell and fell into the outside of my right knee and bent it inward, little sore today but could've been a hell of a-lot worse.

I understand not all people have been playing hockey for 22 years like myself but c'mon do some of us a favor and go to an open skate a few times before you decide to come out to a pickup game if your new to the game.

Those are the guys that get you hurt more than anyone else. Even worse than the guy who can't skate is the guy who can skate just well enough to be dangerous. You know the guy, going about 100 mph in a straight line, but can't turn or stop. Oh yeah, and he always has his head down. Got a concussion a couple years ago from a guy like that on my own team in rat hockey when I made a quick cut back move in the neutral zone and he was following the play and ran into me full speed.

Old
10-29-2012, 09:33 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

I'm always surprised at how often people run into me. I've only been playing for 6 months, but I do know to keep my head up! And yet I have people run into me all the time. People who are good skaters and have obviously been playing for a while - but never learned to skate heads up. Honestly, I'm kind of tired of it. I took a bad one this weekend that pulled some neck muscles from the way I fell and hit the back of my head on the ice.

Old
10-29-2012, 09:53 PM
STC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyisforeveryone View Post
One annoyance of mine is the confusion over calling penalties on body checks in our rec league, or the lack of respect for the rule by some players. Last week I got plowed over after an opponent took a slapshot and then blatantly crashed through my body, snapping my neck back. It was not an accident and pretty dangerous only because I was unprepared. My teammate had his rib bruised and was out for a month because of the same type of deal, not imagining he could get crushed into the boards. The guy did get the penalty on that one and apologized after the game but ****, it didn't help my boys' injured chest.

I am careful to make contact but not check in any circumstance. I try to be completely sportsmanlike, but I still am realizing not everyone is on that page. Even in a no check game you've got to keep your head up, stay firmly grounded, and be ready for someone to lay a check into you.

Those incidents sound more like a bad skater being unable to control himself as opposed to an intentional check. Unfortunate and dangerous, but not deserving of a penalty. Honestly, you should make a better effort to get out of the way especially if you're aware the guy isn't a good skater and has a propensity to do stuff like that.

Old
10-29-2012, 10:12 PM
STC

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
One other pet peeve I have is when we had an odd number of players show up, like 14, they would have 3 lines of forwards, 2 lines of defencemen and have the extra guy, usually me, play every other shift on the 3rd line. So there would be two of us with half the ice time of everyone else because they didn't want to mess up the lines.

On the team I run we have a rule that 13 skaters is the max. We do a team email and everyone RSVP's in or out, maybe is not allowed. If more than 13 want to play I just choose the 13 based on who has/hasn't played in recent games.

Old
10-30-2012, 12:15 AM
TLow97

Played a JMS pick-up game tonight, only had 13 players.

It's not a major frustration, but I am now tired and sore as crap and want to eat everything in the house. No "recovery drinks" either.

"You gonna eat that stapler???"

Old
10-30-2012, 12:27 AM
Phil Connors*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post
You're right. Paying people money, even if it isn't much, to not be able to do their job is a much better alternative.
I can't even imagine how you would expect to play a "organized" game without refs. There would be no competitiveness. Seems like for the most part what you want is pick up hockey with organized teams.

Old
10-30-2012, 12:34 AM
STC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin11 View Post
HNA is a gong show

I played HNA last year for the first time. I can't believe what a joke that league is. On top of the $500 they charge to play, they also insist that your helmut, pants and socks match the team. I told my captain that they can kick me out of the league cause there's no way I'm dropping that kind of money just to appease one of the 6 teams I was playing for at the time.

On top of that the level of play was terrible. In chicago they had 7 divisions so I played in the top division assuming it would be at the very least a B league. It was C2 at best. And the refs spend half the game skating around looking for equipment violations. After playing a season it makes sense why the level of competition is so bad....any hockey player worth a damn wouldn't lower himself to play in such a garbage league.

Old
10-30-2012, 01:52 AM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
I love draft leagues and am learning I'm not as fond of carry-over team leagues.

My former league was draft with exceptions made for married couples or carpools (cause we were the only rink for 180 miles, so people came from 90 minute away in some cases) and for people who worked together, like the two teams of firemen. Having to play with new teammates each season was great because you learned everyone's tendencies and personalities and got in a lot less bickering. Plus you knew that if the talent ended up skewed one season because someone good was hurt or whatever, it'd even out the next time around. Or if you got stuck with an overly-competitive captain or jerk teammate, it was only for four months.

I'm in a (more-or-less) carry-over league now, and it's surprisingly catty.

The idea is it's a developmental league, so they want fairly balanced teams. And it's a new-ish league, so for the first couple seasons, there was apparently a dominant team, a mediocre one and a winless one. Now they're finally addressing it and all I hear is griping from teams how it's not fair. It's a freaking developmental, a third of the players can't stop league where each season should be approached as a new entity rather than a continuation of the last one. Of course they should re-set the teams if there's competitive imbalance. But no, everyone wants to gripe about how they had to struggle through a season so it's only fair that someone else should now. Given the purpose of this level, making other newbies go through the same "can't win for two straight seasons" curve just cause you had to is vindictive and completely missing the point.

Plus there's a lot more bickering about the players on other teams because you never get to know them in a locker room setting. It's like teenage girls at the lunchroom tables in high school, only with a lot more locker room smell.

Old
10-30-2012, 02:56 AM
Aucoin11*

Quote:
Originally Posted by STC View Post
I played HNA last year for the first time. I can't believe what a joke that league is. On top of the $500 they charge to play, they also insist that your helmut, pants and socks match the team. I told my captain that they can kick me out of the league cause there's no way I'm dropping that kind of money just to appease one of the 6 teams I was playing for at the time.

On top of that the level of play was terrible. In chicago they had 7 divisions so I played in the top division assuming it would be at the very least a B league. It was C2 at best. And the refs spend half the game skating around looking for equipment violations. After playing a season it makes sense why the level of competition is so bad....any hockey player worth a damn wouldn't lower himself to play in such a garbage league.
Now that's more of the opinion in line I was thinking of

Old
10-30-2012, 07:33 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Ringers suck. Even with a ringer, they were only able to hold us to a 3-1 game, so that's something to be happy about. And that's all I have to say about that.

Old
10-30-2012, 08:33 AM
AngryBoss

So true. I've known guys that got bounced from leagues because they were always sending emails to the statkeeper and commish requesting corrections to the stats.

Look what happened to Keith Primeau. When he was with the Wings, he wasn't given an assist during a game and *****ed about it for a whole day.
The next day at practice, Steve Chaisson pulled a prank on Primeau by having someone run into the PA booth and say through the speakers "Assist to Keith Primeau" after a goal was scored during a fun scrimmage.
Keith go so mad that he actually started a fight on the ice. Probie had to step in and basically throttled Keith.

And this is in the NHL! Imagine how guys would feel about someone complaining about a missed assist in a completely insignificant beer league?

Last edited by Jarick: 10-30-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Old
10-30-2012, 08:53 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I keep my own stats, so if something gets missed, I give myself credit.

Last year a goal of mine got credited to someone else and another goal was not counted by the ref. Ended up officially with 19 goals in 20 games. Would have loved that nice round number...

Old
10-30-2012, 09:37 AM
Suddenly7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownquestion View Post
Ringers suck. Even with a ringer, they were only able to hold us to a 3-1 game, so that's something to be happy about. And that's all I have to say about that.
Not saying that all ringers are horrible, but they could improve the play of everyone around them. I know on my Friday team many of the players have became use to receiving my hard passes and getting into the open lanes on offense. I always try to help them improve their play while playing without trying to lecher them.

Having tons of ringers in a low division and playing against them isn't fun and shouldn't be allowed. 1 or 2 is okay anything more after that is going to be overkill.

Old
10-30-2012, 09:52 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Most teams should have a couple players that are better than average and a couple that are worse than average. No team's going to have 15-20 guys of the same talent and ability.

It's when you have 5+ guys who are clearly playing a level down that screws it up for everyone else. When you can roll out a line that puts up 10-15 points a night, that's not cool at all.

Closed Thread