HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread.

Closed Thread

Old
03-11-2013, 09:32 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Royal, are you going to college at all? Maybe join a club team? And eat more food?

Old
03-11-2013, 09:39 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I play to win too, maybe because I'm older now, but I realize getting pissed about something I can't control does know good. If I'm on a team that's not dominate, I try to enjoy the game as much as possible and do my part to be a team player and when.

The weekend warrior types that get upset and want to fight in beer leagues are hilarious at this point of my life.
There's a difference between being competitive and fighting because you're losing. I commend Nystrom for being honest with himself and admitting he doesn't care about winning so rec leagues aren't for him. I pay money to play hockey but my goal each season is to win the championship. I've played with guys that cared too much and guys who didn't care and I can't get far enough away from the guys who don't care. There are options for guys who lost the drive to compete such as pickup and that's where they belong. When you sign up for a team some of what you want from it goes out the window. It's about the team, not about you and if you aren't willing to sacrifice for the betterment of the team then you should not sign up for a rec league team or if you do explain yourself to the captain and the locker room before the first game.

Old
03-11-2013, 09:43 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyverthatshiz View Post
The worst thing that ever happened to adult hockey was Pointstreak. Whos gives a @#$% how many goals or assists you have, just play hockey, drink beer after, and wheel some pigs in the bar with your bro's. I honestly can't even tell you the last time I looked at that stupid pointstreak site.
I've been on teams where guys pull their phones out directly after the game and check their stats.

Old
03-11-2013, 10:15 AM
CoopALoop

At least players get the option of "eh, who cares,".

Try pulling that as a goalie.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:57 AM
PlayBall
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopALoop View Post

Serious

Old
03-11-2013, 01:52 PM
Royal Canuck
HF's Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Royal, are you going to college at all? Maybe join a club team? And eat more food?
I'm going to UVic in september, and I eat like a cow.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Old
03-11-2013, 02:16 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post
I'm both curious and a bit nervous for my jump to the beer league level, but I hope it just allows me to play the game I love.
Honestly it's not nearly as bad as it may seem reading this thread, these are generally just the worst case examples. Also beer league hockey is generally no hitting, so you should be far less likely to get hurt now. I mean I play with a guy or two who are smaller than you and they do fine.

Only advice would be to keep up the no lip thing, just be respectful and play the game. Having the skating and the shot from playing all your life will be a huge asset since many in the beer leagues started late, but if there's one thing that will piss an older guy off it would be one of these young punks chirping at him

If you're going to UVic though I'd imagine they have their own hockey league for students so it will be a younger crowd... although then again I don't know what it's like so maybe with so many just coming out of high school hockey could be a lot more physical play?

Old
03-11-2013, 02:21 PM
tawheed

No contact but I've had ribs broken via crosschecks on more than one occasion.. Contact is part of the game, even if you're the type to not start it, there will be some hero on some other team that's trying to make up for something.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:26 PM
CoopALoop

The jump isn't that bad. Sure, you're playing with older guys, but you're also playing with really older guys.

The age gap is normally between early 20's and late 50's. Depending on the level you play of course.

One of my C level teams is comprised of mainly 30-50 year olds. I'm the youngest at 24 (goalie). We play against a team that has a 65 year old. Apparently he plays for 3 other teams and is more of a rink rat than I am. He was pretty impressive on the ice...

Old
03-11-2013, 02:56 PM
Royal Canuck
HF's Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
Honestly it's not nearly as bad as it may seem reading this thread, these are generally just the worst case examples. Also beer league hockey is generally no hitting, so you should be far less likely to get hurt now. I mean I play with a guy or two who are smaller than you and they do fine.

Only advice would be to keep up the no lip thing, just be respectful and play the game. Having the skating and the shot from playing all your life will be a huge asset since many in the beer leagues started late, but if there's one thing that will piss an older guy off it would be one of these young punks chirping at him

If you're going to UVic though I'd imagine they have their own hockey league for students so it will be a younger crowd... although then again I don't know what it's like so maybe with so many just coming out of high school hockey could be a lot more physical play?
Yeah, considering that minor hockey was non-contact for the last two years, contact is a new thing for me, and wouldn't be a huge part of my game at all. And don't worry, my mouth will stay shut.
Quote:
The jump isn't that bad. Sure, you're playing with older guys, but you're also playing with really older guys.

The age gap is normally between early 20's and late 50's. Depending on the level you play of course.

One of my C level teams is comprised of mainly 30-50 year olds. I'm the youngest at 24 (goalie). We play against a team that has a 65 year old. Apparently he plays for 3 other teams and is more of a rink rat than I am. He was pretty impressive on the ice...
That'll be my one huge advantage is my speed, I can blow by people already, hopefully that continues into Beer League because that's my one big advantage. My shot is good, but it's not leaps ahead of everyone else like my speed.

Old
03-11-2013, 03:09 PM
wingfan

I play drop in 3-4 times a week and I feel bad for goalies, but you guys also have to understand, I'm not in game shape like I was when I was in high school. If I'm playing 4v4 with MAYBE a guy on the bench I'm going to be gassed after 2 hours. One of the most irritating things about drop in though is all of these kids that think they're Bobby Orr when they aren't. I can respect talent, and I've played with quite a few kids at pickup who had the talent to coast it but set it up or made a pass. When you constantly try to do it yourself and keep turning it over though... I mean something's gotta click at some point, right?

Old
03-11-2013, 04:45 PM
PlayBall
Rookie User

Quote:
But with skates on, will it be the same? I won't stand a chance in the corners, I'm only 135 pounds, I'll get manhandled. The only part of my game that I'll be able to maintain is my speed and my shot, but my defensive play will take a toll. I've also been known to get under people's skin easily, although I gave that up when I got the "C" and intend to keep that away from my game until I need it, plus pissing off a bunch of full grown men isn't smart considering my size. And yes, I will be keeping my cage on until I feel comfortable without it and have the funds to buy a visor, they aint' cheap.
I was on the same boat as you. If you pay a bit more attention to your diet and focus on what you eat, you could put on 20 pounds over 3 months very comfortably.

It makes a world of difference, you feel alot stronger moving through traffic, your shot will become instantly better. I went from just over 130 pounds to around 155, and it helps so much.

Old
03-11-2013, 05:50 PM
newfr4u

Quote:
I'm going to UVic in september, and I eat like a cow.
no you don't. you are 135, and probably eating like a house-sized cat. try eating more calories.

Old
03-11-2013, 06:13 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:

Old
03-11-2013, 06:34 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Yeah, considering that minor hockey was non-contact for the last two years, contact is a new thing for me, and wouldn't be a huge part of my game at all. And don't worry, my mouth will stay shut.

That'll be my one huge advantage is my speed, I can blow by people already, hopefully that continues into Beer League because that's my one big advantage. My shot is good, but it's not leaps ahead of everyone else like my speed.
Folks with minor hockey experience usually play in the higher tiers. Most of the nonsense like fighting, *****ing, moaning, and trash talking happens in the low to mid tiers.

Old
03-11-2013, 06:55 PM
Chalupa Batman
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
We have a guy in our league who wears his age on his sweater each year (except for when he turned 69 - he wore 68 for a second year - a decision we can all agree with ).

He's 74 now. He started slowing down about ten years ago, but he's got a knack for standing in the right spot.

Old
03-11-2013, 07:49 PM
Hendricks433

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfr4u View Post
no you don't. you are 135, and probably eating like a house-sized cat. try eating more calories.
This, drink lots of whole milk and lift heavy weights. I put on 30 pounds in a month and a half doing squats, bench, deadlifting, overhead pres and rows while drinking a gallon of whole milk a day and eating regular meals

Old
03-11-2013, 07:50 PM
Hendricks433

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
We have a guy in our league who wears his age on his sweater each year (except for when he turned 69 - he wore 68 for a second year - a decision we can all agree with ).

He's 74 now. He started slowing down about ten years ago, but he's got a knack for standing in the right spot.
Thats awesome, I hope I can play when I am 74. Unfortunately I just got started at 25.

Old
03-12-2013, 01:41 AM
Royal Canuck
HF's Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayBall View Post
I was on the same boat as you. If you pay a bit more attention to your diet and focus on what you eat, you could put on 20 pounds over 3 months very comfortably.

It makes a world of difference, you feel alot stronger moving through traffic, your shot will become instantly better. I went from just over 130 pounds to around 155, and it helps so much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfr4u View Post
When I go to Mcdonalds, I get 3 Cheeseburgers with large fries, I also eat giant steaks. I eat like a horse, trust me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Folks with minor hockey experience usually play in the higher tiers. Most of the nonsense like fighting, *****ing, moaning, and trash talking happens in the low to mid tiers.
Then let's hope I don't get overwhelmed in the higher tiers.

Old
03-12-2013, 02:40 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
I dont know. The biggest ****** in our league played in the ECHL.

Old
03-12-2013, 02:45 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:

I'm both curious and a bit nervous for my jump to the beer league level, but I hope it just allows me to play the game I love.
The biggest difference between men and boys is smarts.

Men tend to be more efficient (call it lazy if you will). I wish I would have had the mindset I do now when I was younger.

We have a few of 18-19 year old that can skate like the wind playing with us plus every once in a while the younger boys play as well. They can skate like the wind but they try to do everything at full speed instead of slowing the game down (playing lazier).

Old
03-12-2013, 06:27 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
When I go to Mcdonalds, I get 3 Cheeseburgers with large fries, I also eat giant steaks. I eat like a horse, trust me.

Then let's hope I don't get overwhelmed in the higher tiers.
Eating crap food isn't doing anything for you.

Try eating more whole foods, high protein but still healthy and lift weights. If you actually push yourself in the weight room you will gain weight.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:10 AM
Hendricks433

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Eating crap food isn't doing anything for you.

Try eating more whole foods, high protein but still healthy and lift weights. If you actually push yourself in the weight room you will gain weight.
This. Squats, dead lifts, bench and other compound free weight exercises with tons of decent or good calories will do wonders.

Old
03-12-2013, 10:25 AM
xX Hot Fuss
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
There's a difference between being competitive and fighting because you're losing. I commend Nystrom for being honest with himself and admitting he doesn't care about winning so rec leagues aren't for him. I pay money to play hockey but my goal each season is to win the championship. I've played with guys that cared too much and guys who didn't care and I can't get far enough away from the guys who don't care. There are options for guys who lost the drive to compete such as pickup and that's where they belong. When you sign up for a team some of what you want from it goes out the window. It's about the team, not about you and if you aren't willing to sacrifice for the betterment of the team then you should not sign up for a rec league team or if you do explain yourself to the captain and the locker room before the first game.
Really? Why? There's no glory in men's league dude. You're not accomplishing much, if anything. You're not getting paid. In fact, you're paying to be there. When i pay money to play hockey my goal is to be as good a player as i can possibly be in all aspects of the game and have as much fun as i can while playing.

I really hope most men's league guys dont have this "i couldn't cut it in high school/college/juniors/ECHL/whatever so now i have to prove my talent to everyone" mentality

Old
03-12-2013, 12:04 PM
TheGreatOutlaw

Playing in a B+ league, which is the second highest league at the rink I play and playing with players who have no idea about positioning and how to break out of the zone. The same players take 2minutes shifts and are standing still in center ice when the other team has the puck in our end watching. You call for them to change and they scream at you to shut up . If you cannot play simple hockey and refuse to skate; how can you expect others not to call you off for a line change in a tight competitive game? I could almost understand if this player was a great player, but in fact he was the worse player/tryout we ever brought on our roster to date. The league has levels that range from beginner, D -/+, C-, C,C+, B-,B/B+, A league, and 35 B/C leagues. There is no excuse to want to play in the competitive division and act like a total bender and be dick when you wont skate.

Closed Thread