Notices

Is there a pmD we're overlooking?

Old
11-22-2010, 08:55 AM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Is there a pmD we're overlooking?

There is a defenseman in the AHL who's on pace for a team leading 72 points , leads the team in +/- with a +9, shoots right, and only just turned 22 years old. Interested?

Meet Steven Kampfer.

I have to admit, when the Bruins acquired him and Bartkowski, I thought they were nothing more than filler for Providence. But what Kampfer is doing made me want to take another look...

Most of his numbers in college are admittedly unimpressive, but there seems to be some worthy back story there. First off, Kampfer was young in college. This is a kid who played four years at Michigan and was still only 21 years old when he showed up for his first training camp in September. He also had some off-ice issues that cost him his Junior year. It wasn't until his Senior year that he started to get things in order and it showed on the ice as he led the Wolverine defense in points, plus/minus, blocked shots and shots. He finished off that year with a strong tryout in Providence. Fast forward 6 months and he's raised his game again.

Could he be one of those late bloomers?

You don't see a lot of 21/22 year old, point-per-game defenseman in the minors. At least, not for very long. Providence has him listed at 5'11" 192lbs, which is about the same as Hunwick. And from what I can tell, he's not one-dimensional. He can and will hit, and if his suspension last week is any indication, he can play with a bit of an edge. I don't know what his top-end upside is, but the kid has certainly piqued my interest.

Thoughts? Any Providence regulars out there want to give us your progress/scouting report?

Bill Ladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 09:01 AM
UConn126
Bass Player.

Kampfer and Bartkowski both could help this team out. I think it'd be worth giving one of them a shot.

UConn126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 09:17 AM
Gonzothe7thDman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
There is a defenseman in the AHL who's on pace for a team leading 72 points , leads the team in +/- with a +9, shoots right, and only just turned 22 years old. Interested?

Meet Steven Kampfer.
Makes too much sense. We won't do it.

If injuries to our backline become a problem well see Jason York or Nathan Dempsey instead.

Gonzothe7thDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 10:21 AM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

His numbers certainly look impressive. And I'm happy he's an option.

I hesitate.

I seem to recall a certain defenseman who led all defense in scoring last season... And was absolutely terrible at any level higher. I hope I need not remind anyone of his name.

And from all reports, it appears that Bartkowski seems to be getting the majority of the accolades down there.

So I guess I'm coming at this subject from an admitted point of ignorance. Kampfer's numbers look impressive. He looked good at at camp (while I liked Bartz better, one could make a solid argument for Kampfer being the best of the young bunch) and he seems to have carried his strong play over to the AHL. There's certainly no harm in looking forward to his eventual call-up and following his progress with eager anticipation.

I would be hesitant at this point to go any further than that, however. "Let's dump Hunwick, because we have Kampfer" isn't a statement I'd be on board with.

Mr. Make-Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 10:27 AM
ALinsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post

I hesitate.

I seem to recall a certain defenseman who led all defense in scoring last season... And was absolutely terrible at any level higher. I hope I need not remind anyone of his name.

And from all reports, it appears that Bartkowski seems to be getting the majority of the accolades down there.

So I guess I'm coming at this subject from an admitted point of ignorance. Kampfer's numbers look impressive. He looked good at at camp (while I liked Bartz better, one could make a solid argument for Kampfer being the best of the young bunch) and he seems to have carried his strong play over to the AHL. There's certainly no harm in looking forward to his eventual call-up and following his progress with eager anticipation.

I would be hesitant at this point to go any further than that, however. "Let's dump Hunwick, because we have Kampfer" isn't a statement I'd be on board with.
Agreed, as we have all seen, it takes time to develop, and I wouldnt dump Hunwick just because Kampfer or Bartkowski is playing well. Now, if you have to dump Hunwick to make proven improvements to the team, I do it, and roll with one of those guys as the #6. But, as of now, I wouldnt just dump Hunwick to clear some salary, and call up one of the two.

ALinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 10:49 AM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Kampfer's a RH shot too.

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 10:59 AM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:

I hesitate.

I feel like a dunce for asking, but who is the mystery defenseman?

Old
11-22-2010, 11:09 AM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
I feel like a dunce for asking, but who is the mystery defenseman?
Andy "The Woz" Wozniewski, of course.

Led Providence in defenseman scoring last season and was clumsier than a Dennis Wideman nightmare.

Last edited by Mr. Make-Believe: 11-22-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old
11-22-2010, 11:10 AM
Cronuss

vCash: 2823
Boychuk worked out well...

Cronuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 11:17 AM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Another defensemen who doesn't get a lot of mention around here ( albeit outside our organization ) is Anton Stralman from the CBJ's. Right handed shot, good puck mover, 24 yrs old. He hasn't had the greatest year in Columbus so far after a breakout year last season.

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 11:23 AM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
James "The Woz" Wozniewski, of course.

Led Providence in defenseman scoring last season and was clumsier than a Dennis Wideman nightmare.
Ahhh. Thanks.

That's true but Woz was 30 years old, only had 43 points, and was a -10.

Kampfer's 22, scoring a point-per-game and is a +9 on team that's had it's share of struggles (winning and scoring).

I'd be curious to see a list of defenseman, age 22 and under, who put up, say .75 points-per-game through the first quarter of the AHL season (because I bet a lot of them get called up before they can play a full 80 games), over the last 5 years.

Is that list going to be littered with Andy Delmore types, or will it be more Mike Green, PK Subban, types?

(Anybody know a stat engine that could answer that question?)

Old
11-22-2010, 11:31 AM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Ahhh. Thanks.

Kampfer's 22, scoring a point-per-game and is a +9 on team that's had it's share of struggles (winning and scoring).

I'd be curious to see a list of defenseman, age 22 and under, who put up, say .75 points-per-game through the first quarter of the AHL season (because I bet a lot of them get called up before they can play a full 80 games), over the last 5 years.

Is that list going to be littered with Andy Delmore types, or will it be more Mike Green, PK Subban, types?

Oh I know... It was just. I remember people here talking about calling The Woz up last season and by all accounts, the NHL game was way too difficult for him to be successful.

If you want reasons to be optimistic, then Kampfer should inspire 10x the hope that Andy did. But it's still a very limited sample size.

Again... I don't want you to think that I'm crapping on excitement, or encouraging negativity. I'm VERY happy to see Kampfer's numbers at this point in time. Surpassing the expectations I've had for him (easily) thus far. I'm just... I'd be cautious before I said that he made anyone we have skating in the NHL expendable as of today.

Fingers crossed that in a little while, we're seeing a sequel to Johnny Boychuk.

Old
11-22-2010, 11:32 AM
Sturm und Drang

Quote:
James "The Woz" Wozniewski, of course.

Andy Wozniewski, right? I think when we first got him I thought he was James Wisniewski, and I have been trying to separate those names in my mind ever since.

Sturm und Drang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 11:40 AM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
Another defensemen who doesn't get a lot of mention around here ( albeit outside our organization ) is Anton Stralman from the CBJ's. Right handed shot, good puck mover, 24 yrs old. He hasn't had the greatest year in Columbus so far after a breakout year last season.
You think Dennis Wideman was inconsistent in his own end? Cat ain't got nothin' on Anton Stralman.

But you're right though... Dude has some good puck-moving ability and looks decent on his skates. He's at the right make/break age. Maybe Julien can slap some sense in to him. We've seen some pretty spotty guys turn into effective players in this system.

But if we do acquire Stralman, my personal prediction would be that the low-risk/high-reward situation would turn rather quickly into a low-risk/no-reward one.

Old
11-22-2010, 11:40 AM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturm und Drang View Post
Andy Wozniewski, right? I think when we first got him I thought he was James Wisniewski, and I have been trying to separate those names in my mind ever since.
Yeah. Andy. Sorry. I'm a dumbass. Correct.

Andy.

Old
11-22-2010, 11:44 AM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Oh I know... It was just. I remember people here talking about calling The Woz up last season and by all accounts, the NHL game was way too difficult for him to be successful.

If you want reasons to be optimistic, then Kampfer should inspire 10x the hope that Andy did. But it's still a very limited sample size.

Again... I don't want you to think that I'm crapping on excitement, or encouraging negativity. I'm VERY happy to see Kampfer's numbers at this point in time. Surpassing the expectations I've had for him (easily) thus far. I'm just... I'd be cautious before I said that he made anyone we have skating in the NHL expendable as of today.

Fingers crossed that in a little while, we're seeing a sequel to Johnny Boychuk.
No worries. And fwiw, I'm not suggesting we dump anyone. Just that what this guy is doing is worth taking another look.

Old
11-22-2010, 11:54 AM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
No worries. And fwiw, I'm not suggesting we dump anyone. Just that what this guy is doing is worth taking another look.
Ah... I see. I misinterpreted the title to imply that Kampfer may be the solution to our problem.

If your idea was to bring attention to the impressive numbers that the guy is putting up, then you've done a good job. I didn't know until I clicked on this thread.

You know that "scout" who was talking about Wheeler getting dealt and how Providence was disappointing to him? He mentioned the offensive abilities of Matt Bartkowski as being the lone bright spot of that team. Anyone else think that he got the name wrong?

Old
11-22-2010, 12:00 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:

Or Matt Hunwick.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 12:02 PM
BigBadBruin8
@rsox1221

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BigBadBruin8
Quote:
Ahhh. Thanks.

I like Kampfer's game, even moreso from the time I saw the PB's play the Sharks in Worcester this season, but I'd be wary of forcing the NHL on him so soon in his development.

The fact that he's a RH shot is his biggest asset IMO besides his skillset. He'll play a bit rough and tumble but that's not going to be the gravy that gets him to the NHL to stay.

I'd let him stay down on the farm and keep attempting to rip it up. If he does, we know we've got a potential steal on our hands again, and if he plateaus, it's not a huge deal since that's expected for someone his age in his first pro season. Those 3 in 3's will start to catch up to a lot of the young PB's soon enough, plus even at 80 games the sked is twice as long as college for Kampfer.

We're most likely going to have to look outside the organization this season if we want a PMD that can push us past round 2. Problem is with the cap crunch and deals we're going to be forced to make, it's unlikely we won't be able to add anyone besides the 7 we have. And I'd bet against Hunwick going anywhere this season, even in a money-clearing move. He's started to play better, and we don't have anyone that can match his speed from the back.

I'd say that in the end I'm excited to have Kampfer (and Bartkowski as well) so we can let them develop at a good pace in the minors, even if the PB's struggle. That in itself is another situation that's beneficial, since these guys generally aren't on losing teams often. How they respond there is another piece of the puzzle. But I wouldn't give Kampfer anything but a cup of coffee this season unless circumstances demand he play more, like injuries (God forbid) or he is just annihilating the AHL (I'd be all for that).

"I've gotta go run some little French guys over."--Shawn Thornton

BigBadBruin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 12:04 PM
BigBadBruin8
@rsox1221

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BigBadBruin8
Quote:
Ah... I see. I misinterpreted the title to imply that Kampfer may be the solution to our problem.

If your idea was to bring attention to the impressive numbers that the guy is putting up, then you've done a good job. I didn't know until I clicked on this thread.

You know that "scout" who was talking about Wheeler getting dealt and how Providence was disappointing to him? He mentioned the offensive abilities of Matt Bartkowski as being the lone bright spot of that team. Anyone else think that he got the name wrong?
Not really. They've both had good stretches, plus Bartkowski was the last cut from camp, which said scout must have had on his mind as well.

I think it's great that we have two potential PMDs down there that are continuing to develop.

BigBadBruin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 12:35 PM
PBruinsfan10

Re: Kampfer and Bartkowski -

Kampfer had a three-point night last night against a fairly solid Manchester team. Not only is he solid defensively, but he's a very smart player in the offensive zone - he leads all AHL rookies in assists, and is tied for fourth in total points scored. He has an ability to find open players in front of the net - while digging for the puck in front of Jeff Zatkoff last night, he somehow found Penner completely open all the way out at the hashmarks along the wall, and Penner beat Zatkoff FROM THERE.

Kampfer was suspended and didn't play in Friday's game, and they lost in OT to Bridgeport, who isn't a very strong team. Not saying it was only b/c he sat, but the d-pairing of Penner/Kampfer has been as solid as anything down there - they were on the ice for ALL FOUR goals for the P-Bruins yesterday.

He's an intelligent player who is adjusting very well to the professional game - Bartkowski too, although I have to say Kampfer's been more impressive as of late. I think with time, both will develop into Hunwick-esque players with a little more skill, even. However, as bigbadbruins8 pointed out, we haven't seen either of them tested by an 80-game season before. If they make it through this year in the AHL without any hiccups (and that'd be huge, as Providence has more 3-in-3s than any other team in the league), then fantastic - we have two steals, one of whom could be potential trade bait down the road, and one of whom could eventually supplement or replace Hunwick's "offensive defenseman" capabilities.

If not, leave them in the AHL for another year or two to keep developing, and it's no skin off the organization's nose.

In addition to those two, I'm interested to see how Jeff Penner continues to develop. He's another young offensive d-man who has flashes of potential but seems to be on a slower developmental path. He was frustrating at times last year, but to be fair, so was the rest of the team...

PBruinsfan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 12:46 PM
GrumpyJ
formerly jmiller010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
Or Matt Hunwick.
I hope it's one of those rare cases where the sequel is far better than the original...sort of like a Terminator ---> Terminator 2 situation.

GrumpyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 12:52 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBruin8 View Post
Not really. They've both had good stretches, plus Bartkowski was the last cut from camp, which said scout must have had on his mind as well.

I think it's great that we have two potential PMDs down there that are continuing to develop.
I liked Bartkowski better during camp.

But Kampfer's numbers are literally double.

Seems to me to be more likely that when the scout mentions impressive offensive ability, it would apply to the defenseman who leads the team in scoring.

Old
11-22-2010, 12:53 PM
Ratty

With Kampfer, Bartkowski and Alexandrov right under our noses, what's the big deal about going outside the organization to acquire that elusive PMD? All we need is patience. One of the above may be ready to move up by the trade deadline.

Ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 12:56 PM
PBruinsfan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty View Post
With Kampfer, Bartkowski and Alexandrov right under our noses, what's the big deal about going outside the organization to acquire that elusive PMD? All we need is patience. One of the above may be ready to move up by the trade deadline.
if it's any of those three, it'd be Alexandrov. i doubt that with the adjustment from college to the pros (aka: double the schedule length) that either kampfer or bartk will be in any shape to play in the NHL by March.

PBruinsfan10 is offline   Reply With Quote