HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

has the offseason changed your opinion?

Old
07-10-2011, 04:46 PM
txpd

vCash: 500
has the offseason changed your opinion?

Seems to me that after the offseason moves have settled in that very few minds have been changed concerning the upcoming season. is that accurate? or do you think the caps have taken significant steps forward or back that have you feeling more or less omptimistic?

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 04:54 PM
Fallschirmyager

I am feeling more optimistic. Some needs were filled. More need to be. I still am of the opinion that BB is not able to make in game adjustments well enough to get the prize. He's not going to be replaced this year so we'll have to deal with it.

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 04:59 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Ovechkin, Semin, Green, Backstrom and now Laich are the heavy lifters on this club. Those guys bring it, and the Caps win. They don't and nothing else the team does really matters. Now, I either like or love the new additions, a big fan, but it's still all on the shoulders of the guys that you could consider 'core' to the team.

That's some $28.5M in the first four, $33M if you now lump in Laich with those guys after his UFA contract. So about half the salary cap. The money has to perform. I was surprised by just how much the money left in the tank in the second round this year. So I'm not sure. In the management chair, I'd shake up the core, not put all my hopes in the same core, plus moves to shore them up. The Caps are making moevs with the idea of becoming a harder team to play against, but a lot of minutes go to Green and Semin, and they are easy to play against for opponents.

I should add that I'm still not convinced Semin will be here in October. I am not yet sure that the Caps are done; just done in free agency.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 05:02 PM
DCRedhawk21

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Seems to me that after the offseason moves have settled in that very few minds have been changed concerning the upcoming season. is that accurate? or do you think the caps have taken significant steps forward or back that have you feeling more or less omptimistic?

I personally liked the moves they made, even if they overpaid for Ward and Hamrlik. The Varly and Vokoun deals were great and I love that they brought Halpern back. I am also confident that Alzner will be resigned (if he isn't, then this whole off-season is lost IMO).

I think the pessimism is more from the moves they didn't make. Namely, they're still thin at center.

I'm cautiously optimistic about next year. There are some questions though... Who will play 2C? If they are serious about Laich playing center, who plays opposite Semin on the second line? Can Hamrlik find some chemistry with Green and still be effective at 37-38? Will Johansson experience a sophomore slump? How much will adding a goaltender such as Vokoun help the team? How will Ovi and Backstrom respond to (by their standards) sub-par seasons?

DCRedhawk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 05:08 PM
WetHog

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
The Varley trade was a pleasant suprise, but other than that I am neutral on the teams moves this offseason. I will say I am a tad concerned with the little room the Caps are under the cap, and the fact that there has been little to no news/progress on re-signing Alzner. IMO, no matter what the Caps do this offseason from this point forward, if they lose Alner it will be an utter failure.

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 05:10 PM
Click Here
You know you want to

vCash: 50
Unlike many I thought the goaltending could've been better. IMO Vokoun represents a steep upgrade and really helps.

I need to see the lines before I can make much of a comment on what has continued to let the Caps down -- playoff scoring. If Brouwer and/or Ward have a role then we could have a much more dynamic top 6 (though the bottom 6 will be a huge question mark). If not then what's different? Where will the offense come from when things tighten down in the playoffs?

Boudreau's still the coach. I don't think he's the worst coach in the league, but he's not close to being up there with the likes of Bylsma and Lavi IMO. Then again, the Bs won with a coach their fans used to bash day in and day out, so who knows.

All in all I'll be keeping my fingers crossed and hoping the changes make a difference, but as of right now I would not pick them to beat a couple different Eastern teams in a playoff series.

Click Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 05:24 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

I think on paper they made moves that are improvements. 2C is still a MAJOR concern until 21 or 90 prove they can hold it.

I think this is arguably McPhee's best offseason to date. They brought in guys who hit who can score the timely goal in the playoffs, who are still young'ish and all look to be in position to have nice upswing years on a team like the Caps who perform well. Vokoun may be the luckiest thing to fall into McPhee's hands next to Ovechkin. I have a feeling he's going to look dominant.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 05:36 PM
Capitlols

I'm going to come off as a hater, but its hard for me to be optimistic with Boudreau still here.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 05:59 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

I definitely feel that the Caps are a better team coming out of what offseason we've seen. However, I have a difficult time really believing that being better will translate into more post-season success right now. Part of it is uncertainty about the coach and part of it is uncertainty about the players (both the core and the ones who were brought in). As far as I'm concerned, the season can't start soon enough... that's the only way I'm going to really feel like any of this is starting to be resolved.

ChibiPooky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 06:06 PM
um

this is the best team we've ever had

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 06:06 PM
EroCaps

They improved their bottom 6 at a considerable price and improved in net at a bargain price.

Considering that neither of these positions were areas of concern my opinion is that they've improved marginally.

They're still weak down the middle (compared to the really good teams) and weak behind the bench.

Jury is out.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 06:14 PM
Halpysback

Until we get a coach who doesn't get outcoached on his own timeouts it's not gonna be worth a damn.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 06:23 PM
Devil Dancer

It was a good offseason, but who really cares? We all thought the team made great moves in-season last year, and that didn't get the team anywhere.

Anything can happen in the playoffs, but it sucks that I feel as though the team's attitude seems to be "maybe we'll get lucky this year" rather than "we're going to ****ing destroy everyone else this year."

I would probably be much more optimistic had BB been let go.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 06:52 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
It was a good offseason, but who really cares? We all thought the team made great moves in-season last year, and that didn't get the team anywhere.

Anything can happen in the playoffs, but it sucks that I feel as though the team's attitude seems to be "maybe we'll get lucky this year" rather than "we're going to ****ing destroy everyone else this year."

What team ever thinks its going to dominate its way to the Cup? Did Boston? Thats not the way it works.

07-10-2011, 06:55 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post

Seems? McPhee has said this on numerous occasions. Of course, the Caps play a passive, leaderless "pack it in" brand of hockey when up against the unexpected. They know that there's an excuse already primed and ready to go.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 07:18 PM
WetHog

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
I'm going to come off as a hater, but its hard for me to be optimistic with Boudreau still here.
I am far from a BB's hater, but it is clear to me that if the team does not perform during the regular season, or it doesn't make a deep Cup run, that wholesale changes are coming. If the Caps don't get past the second round this year I cannot see a way Uncle Teddy and GMGM can justify keeping BB's around. Hell GMGM is on the hot seat as well.

Isn't this year 5 of Uncle Teddy's grand 5 year plan? It is put up or shut up time for sure.

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 07:29 PM
Roughing

The two biggest needs by far were upgrading the bottom six and getting rid of the idiot head coach. They've accomplished the first and ignored the second. Throw in an amazing series of events in net and the team is clearly better. Semin can surely be frustrating but I'm fine if he stays. If they move him it better be for a major forward.

Getting rid of King and Poti, one way or the other, will happen. Fehr is done. Nice kid whose body gave out. The crying over him is asinine. Happy to save the $2.2M. I'd still take a Schultz-trade/Hannan-sign but it's not that big of a deal. Alzner will sign.

Love the prospects. Love the picks next year. Very nice off season. B+

Last edited by Roughing: 07-11-2011 at 06:54 PM.
Roughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 07:31 PM
SkinsFan09

We better hope #90 is a legit 2C.

SkinsFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 07:52 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
Seems? McPhee has said this on numerous occasions. Of course, the Caps play a passive, leaderless "pack it in" brand of hockey when up against the unexpected. They know that there's an excuse already primed and ready to go.
mcphee says what on numerous occasions? gotta link to one such time?

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 08:46 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
They improved their bottom 6 at a considerable price and improved in net at a bargain price.

Considering that neither of these positions were areas of concern my opinion is that they've improved marginally.

They're still weak down the middle (compared to the really good teams) and weak behind the bench.

Jury is out.
Perfect. Improved marginally but not in concerned areas.

But our top four are sick athletes that can make up for any holes in lineup or coaching if they pull their collective heads out of their rear.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 09:15 PM
Icetime

I think GMGM has done an amazing job this offseason.

That is if you don't include his descent into pure madness when he decided to keep the Simpleton.

Last edited by Icetime: 07-10-2011 at 09:20 PM.
Icetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 09:32 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Core players need to rebound..honestly the key to the off season. Dig the off season roster changes. It is tough to see Fehr and Gordon who I've been following since they were drafted but it is the business...feels like the kids have gone of to college.

Still a lot of unknowns...will the core rebound. After the past couple of years I'm just ready to have fun for the next season.

07-10-2011, 11:12 PM
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:

I don't think this off-season has changed my opinion of management whatsoever. It's very clear that Ted/GMGM analyze the team, come to an agreement on what changes need to occur, and then execute it to the best of their abilities.

When they thought Hanlon was the problem, they fired him. When they thought depth was the problem, they acquired Belanger, Walker, Corvo at the deadline. When they thought adding inexpensive youth to the lineup was beneficial, they did so. When they though defense was the problem, they added Hannan and Wideman. Going into this season it appears that management thought skilled grit needed to be added to the lineup and they executed.

Management's moves rarely seem to occur all over the place, it seems as if they target it an area and try to improve there.

blokeyhighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 11:26 PM
mondo3

vCash: 571
What position needs upgrading the most? i.e.: who would you want for Semin?

mondo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 11:51 PM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo3 View Post
What position needs upgrading the most? i.e.: who would you want for Semin?
A borderline first-line center with one year left on his contract, and maybe a draft pick too.

Liberati0n is online now   Reply With Quote