HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

POS waived

Old
11-22-2010, 08:20 PM
NorthStar4Canes

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWAD View Post
The knock on POS has never been that he lacked talent, it is that he had a fragile mental make-up, and a poor work ethic. He did nothing in his time here to disprove any of that.

I can see people claiming he was never really given a chance, but at some point in your professional career, you need to grab the bull by the horns and make the most of the opportunity you've been given. If a guy needs to be spoon fed to succeed, then I say good riddance.

I sure will miss the comments about how Mo is an idiot for not playing a streaky, one way offensive, waiver wire pick-up, more, when we are 6th in the league in scoring, but 2nd to last in the league in goals against.
Uh oh. You do realize that seeing the forest, and worse, going so far as to point it out defies the HF Orthodoxy don't you?

NorthStar4Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 09:21 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

We're 6th in scoring only because we rack up a ton of goals against weak teams. When we really need goals, they suddenly dry up.

The guy played great in preseason in an offensive role, but we never gave him a chance in that role during the regular season. Dumb waste when guys like Tlusty and an injured Sutter are just taking up space, but I hope he goes to a team that's willing to use him.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 09:43 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antondynamic View Post
I dont like how he was used here either, but some of you on here pretend like he POS didnt have anything to do with the limited minutes and being waived. This has been a guy with the bad work ethic tag during previous stops. And we all know that bad work ethic is tolerated here very well despite having a good skill set. We complain about it all the time, we all know that Mo and JR will play a hard worker over a skill guy 7 days a week and twice on sundays.....even if the skill guy would allow the Canes to score more.
I heard nothing but good his about his work ethic so I'm curious to how he blew it here. Due to all the travel sounds like a lot of his practice has been by himself running drills with coaches. Jr himself says pos didn't get a good chance to play his role. It didn't work, fine. Let's not knock the guy, he did nothing wrong in his time here. Outside of a weird reference by mo about a lack of intensity in back to back games that none of us saw nothing negative was said about him, or should be.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 09:46 PM
bleedgreen

We've had a couple of blow outs that have our stats padded. I'm curious to see how our offense goes over the season, and more importantly against the best teams or even solid ones. Ottawa was a mess in that last one. These blowouts seem to be rare exceptions, I don't expect them to be the norm, not with this team.

Old
11-22-2010, 09:57 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I think a lot of people didn't see this signing for what it was, which was an insurance policy to make sure that players coming off of bad seasons like Erik Cole and Sergei Samsonov didn't get complacent and players that had strong years like Jussi Jokinen would maintain that form. He was here just in case those players couldn't manifest the proper intensity they needed to contribute. The fact that they all did was not only a credit to them, but a credit to the depth of our team being as such that we could bring in a player like O'Sullivan as little more than a precautionary measure.

Cole, Samsonov, Larose, Dwyer, and Jokinen have all been pleasant surprises this year on the wings. However, the chances at the start of the year that all would find levels of success were slim. Not being able to work O'Sullivan into the lineup had less to do with his actions and more to do with the actions of the aforementioned guys being paid more to do it.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 10:00 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
I heard nothing but good his about his work ethic so I'm curious to how he blew it here. Due to all the travel sounds like a lot of his practice has been by himself running drills with coaches. Jr himself says pos didn't get a good chance to play his role. It didn't work, fine. Let's not knock the guy, he did nothing wrong in his time here. Outside of a weird reference by mo about a lack of intensity in back to back games that none of us saw nothing negative was said about him, or should be.
To be honest, I have no problem with JR waiving the guy. If he clears, he needs to be sent down to Charlotte where he can get the ice time he wasn't getting here. Keep him around there until we actually need him in a top 9 role, rather then sticking him with 4th line ice time when he does see the ice.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:29 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
The knock on POS has never been that he lacked talent, it is that he had a fragile mental make-up, and a poor work ethic. He did nothing in his time here to disprove any of that.

I can see people claiming he was never really given a chance, but at some point in your professional career, you need to grab the bull by the horns and make the most of the opportunity you've been given. If a guy needs to be spoon fed to succeed, then I say good riddance.

I sure will miss the comments about how Mo is an idiot for not playing a streaky, one way offensive, waiver wire pick-up, more, when we are 6th in the league in scoring, but 2nd to last in the league in goals against.
I thought he played well defensively this year and being on a 4th line, that's his main responsibility... Just an observation

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:39 AM
Jerry Lundegaard
Sutter for Captain

I agree with Vagrant that POS was an insurance if some of our players came up short. Sammy/Cole/Dwyer have been great and Nobody expected Skinner to be producing like he is either. i'd rather see Bodie/Sutter (the violent one) be on the 4th line than POS. I also find it refreshing that our managment thinks we don't need this "insurance" any more.

Jerry Lundegaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:32 AM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
There were a lot of complaints about his work ethic in both LA and Edmonton.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 06:38 AM
sheriff bart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Bomb View Post
There were a lot of complaints about his work ethic in both LA and Edmonton.
Maybe he didn't have what it takes to impress our Director of Forwards Development.

sheriff bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 07:24 AM
AcidQueen
Joe, Lord of Evil

Send a message via AIM to AcidQueen Send a message via MSN to AcidQueen Send a message via Yahoo to AcidQueen
Quote:
No shock there. I hope he gets picked up and does well. I'm not a big fan of how Chairman Mo neglected him for no good damn reason.
I amended that for you there, boss. No need to thank me.

AcidQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 09:53 AM
Clark Gillies
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
I think a lot of people didn't see this signing for what it was, which was an insurance policy to make sure that players coming off of bad seasons like Erik Cole and Sergei Samsonov didn't get complacent and players that had strong years like Jussi Jokinen would maintain that form. He was here just in case those players couldn't manifest the proper intensity they needed to contribute. The fact that they all did was not only a credit to them, but a credit to the depth of our team being as such that we could bring in a player like O'Sullivan as little more than a precautionary measure.

Cole, Samsonov, Larose, Dwyer, and Jokinen have all been pleasant surprises this year on the wings. However, the chances at the start of the year that all would find levels of success were slim. Not being able to work O'Sullivan into the lineup had less to do with his actions and more to do with the actions of the aforementioned guys being paid more to do it.

Great post and exactly right. Also do not discount the Skinner factor - going in noone would have expected him to earn top 6 minutes right out of the gate. His performance has bumped a lot of the wingers down the list.

I was never a big fan of the signing and kind of hoped that O'Sullivan did not break the top 9, for if he did that meant guys like Sammy/Cole or Larose were not producing. Having potential and living up to it are two different things and I personally do not think he is ever going to amount to a quality NHLer. Ever since he arrived whenever I see him referred to as POS - I always read it as Piece - of - ______.

Clark Gillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 10:25 AM
sheriff bart

I don't think he's a 1st or 4th liner. He fits in on the 2nd or 3rd. The one position on the team that we have covered is 2nd and 3rd line forward. This also feeds right into the insurance policy idea that he could have been plugged into that role. That leaves no playing space for him now with the other forwards playing okay.

This will be best for all concerned.

sheriff bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:11 PM
AMOK14

POS was just claimed by the Wild

AMOK14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:16 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
makes sense. Only 2 teams in hockey that are weaker offensively are the Isles and the Devils right now, and I doubt the Devils will stay that low for much longer.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:19 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMOK14 View Post
POS was just claimed by the Wild
Interesting that he gets to return to the team that originally drafted him - I thought if anybody claimed him it'd be the Kings. Good luck to him in Minny. Now cue up the whining about how we didn't get anything in return for him and how misused he was.

garnetpalmetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:30 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 163
Good for him. Hope he turns things around and gets back on track.

Guerzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:33 PM
caniac247

Glad he's getting another chance. There just wasn't any room for him. Mike Sudheim tweeted that Skinner's success, left no room for O'Sullivan. Insurance signing it was.

I'm still not sure why some are up on arms over this. 29 teams passed on him over the summer. And now 11 teams passed on him on the waiver wire. But OMG we are so stupid to put him on waivers. He's not a 1st line guy, he's not a 4th line guy. If Skinner didn't succeed, he would still be here. So you have to ask yourself......... would you rather Skinner or O'Sullivan on the team?

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:11 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
Interesting that he gets to return to the team that originally drafted him - I thought if anybody claimed him it'd be the Kings. Good luck to him in Minny. Now cue up the whining about how we didn't get anything in return for him and how misused he was.
Ummm....ok. He was misused.

It's not whining it's fact, even jr agrees so it's kind of a moot point, isn't it? I never expected anything back for him, he was on waivers. I'm sure jr offered him around before putting him there.

I love posts designed to make anyone opposite your view feel stupid or labeled with tags like "whining".

Old
11-23-2010, 01:46 PM
QuitStaaling

Send a message via AIM to QuitStaaling
Can't believe POS made it to the 12th spot @ Minny. A lot of hard up teams passed on a good two-way contracted, possible 20 goal scorer.

QuitStaaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:56 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Ummm....ok. He was misused.

It's not whining it's fact, even jr agrees so it's kind of a moot point, isn't it? I never expected anything back for him, he was on waivers. I'm sure jr offered him around before putting him there.

I love posts designed to make anyone opposite your view feel stupid or labeled with tags like "whining".
Apologies if you thought I was out to make people with views opposite mine feel stupid, that's not the case at all. Rather I was coming from a position of frustration in that it seemed that one couldn't read a thread without coming across choruses of "Why isn't O'Sullivan playing?" Indeed, it seemed the "Cole Sucks" meme was replaced by "Poor O'Sullivan" and I was just getting grumpy at it.

Don't get me wrong, when we first signed O'Sullivan I was curious to see if he could turn into the next great Jim Rutherford reclamation project and the thought of having a player on the team who grew up in North Carolina was cool and I was excited to see him do well in the preseason. But beyond that, I understand he fell victim to Samsonov, Cole, and Jokinen all stepping up their play as well as Skinner catching on and not being returned to Kitchener. I don't think O'Sullivan was misused, but was a misfit (any negative connotations to the word aside) - as others have mentioned, he was an insurance policy we never had to use.

I wish him good luck in Minnesota, but I don't believe he was screwed by the organization as some here do.

Old
11-23-2010, 01:58 PM
LuLuBelle

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news....id=DL|CAR|home

O'Sullivan Situation Ends Amicably.

It's nice to see that sometimes everyone gets what they want. Good luck to you, Patty O.

LuLuBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 02:37 PM
WWAD

On the Wild board, a few posters have suggested he might end up on the 2nd line with Cullen. If so, it's a good thing we're done playing them this year, as ex-Canes always seem to light us up. Two ex-Canes on the same line would probably score about five goals against us.

Good luck to POS. Hope it works out better for him there.

WWAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 03:00 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
On the Wild board, a few posters have suggested he might end up on the 2nd line with Cullen. If so, it's a good thing we're done playing them this year, as ex-Canes always seem to light us up. Two ex-Canes on the same line would probably score about five goals against us.

Good luck to POS. Hope it works out better for him there.

And not just two ex-Canes, but two ex-#8s. You have to respect the power that comes with the number 8. #87 for the Pittsburgh Penguins, #8 for the Washington Capitals, for instance. Two #8s on a line together? Complete domination and that's what the Minnesota Wild will roll with Matt Cullen and now Patrick O'Sullivan on a line together.

Old
11-23-2010, 03:54 PM
NorthStar4Canes

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post

And not just two ex-Canes, but two ex-#8s. You have to respect the power that comes with the number 8. #87 for the Pittsburgh Penguins, #8 for the Washington Capitals, for instance. Two #8s on a line together? Complete domination and that's what the Minnesota Wild will roll with Matt Cullen and now Patrick O'Sullivan on a line together.
Even scarier, 2 X Bobby Orr = 8.

Oh god, what kind of freakish line of unsurpassed hockey completeness to the tune of 4 Bobby Orrs have we created for another team here?

Just outstanding, JR. Way to go, Mo. You just go out and spread some more seeds for growing the wheat that will end up in the Alpha Bits that will wind up floating around in my cereal bowl until they spell DOOM , why doncha?.

Last edited by NorthStar4Canes: 11-23-2010 at 04:28 PM.
NorthStar4Canes is offline   Reply With Quote