HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

No neck protector for Price?

Old
11-23-2010, 04:42 PM
Smokies430

vCash: 500
No neck protector for Price?

He took a puck high, almost in the throat, in the game in Philly and I notice he doesn't use that protector that dangles down below the mask that most goalies use. Seems kind of dangerous to me. (or maybe I am wrong and most goalies don't use them?}

Smokies430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 04:51 PM
guest1467

He hasn't worn one his whole career, he doesn't like to wear one. Case closed.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 04:52 PM
leshabitants44

I think it's just personal preference. some goalies wear the guard hanging from their helmet (ie Brodeur) and some, like Price, wear a larger neckguard under their chest protector.

leshabitants44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 05:09 PM
Stradale

He does have a neck protector. Not the plastic one that hangs after the mask but he does have a small one.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 05:26 PM
GoHomez

Didn't Sanford take a shot in the throat during pre-season and missed quite some time?

I really think Price should wear one.

GoHomez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 05:29 PM
shamrun

shamrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 06:59 PM
whereizzy

some goalies prefer the dangling ones, my prob w/ them is that wen they pop up they get annoying and can distract you. It all comes down to personal preference.

whereizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 07:09 PM
Galchenyuk94

I think I recall he doesn't wear one because when he does, he can't see his feet properly and it messes with his footwork.

Galchenyuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 07:39 PM
Galchenyum
AGally+BGally

It's the visor of goalies. It can be debated to death, but it comes down to the player's personal preference.

Galchenyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 09:14 PM
MoonlightGraham

I might be wrong on this but doesn't he wear one in practice (when players don't always look where they're shooting and there are a lot of pucks flying around)?

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 09:18 PM
Next Best Thing*

He took a few to to the neck in preseason as well, you're wasting your time... I made a thead back then as well but people think that the odds are too low for a perfect shapshot to the throat around here. *knock on wood* Meh.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 09:21 PM
Felkov

This thread needs more Turtleneck jokes.

Felkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 09:46 PM
Clumsyhab

Those are for Euro goalies

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 10:42 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

why would his head ever raise high enough to get a puck under there? Ur always hunched forward, chin down. With the technique in todays goalie game, the situation is rare when he could feasibly receive a shot there. Maybe short range in a scrum when he's down and out, but that wouldnt be no 100mph slapper so who cares.

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 10:56 PM
giovannicanella

He should use better neck protection, furthermore the material used for a visor, should be used to make a goalie helmet so it would be entirely seethough apart from the straps and some padding...that way maximum viewage of the game! SORTED!

giovannicanella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 11:54 PM
JLP
чудесный Монреаль

Quote:
Originally Posted by giovannicanella View Post
He should use better neck protection, furthermore the material used for a visor, should be used to make a goalie helmet so it would be entirely seethough apart from the straps and some padding...that way maximum viewage of the game! SORTED!
Or the material used to make Wonder Woman's invisible plane.

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 12:35 AM
Jimmy Ballzilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
hahaha nice one

Jimmy Ballzilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 01:51 AM
Le Tricolore
Franchise Players

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
I don't get why a goalie wouldn't wear one. I'm no goalie, but to those who have played the position... what would be the reasoning behind not wearing one?

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 02:09 AM
CrisisInMTL

I've played goal and played both with and without the plastic dangler.

Personally, I stopped using the dangler. The "goatee/chin" of today's goalie masks stretch down pretty far. It's almost impossible to have a Trent Mcleary type hit to the throat as it extends pretty long.

Also, the dangler is one more piece of equipment to deal with, especially when looking straight down. With the amount of water that gets sprayed on if from drinking between whistles, it can get pretty dirty/foggy.

CrisisInMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 02:46 AM
GoHomez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
Haha, nice one.
I started using because someone named Roy used one and I thought it looked cool.

Isnt pretty much 50-50 among NHL goalies today?
Lundqvist, Bryzgalov, Halak and Hiller are the only Euro ones I can think of off the top of my head.

And the visibility problem wearing one is pretty exaggerated.

GoHomez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 07:12 AM
canadian_man_44

I wear one and haven't gone without since I took a slapshot in the side of the neck 8 years ago. I had on the throat guard like Carey wears but that kind is mostly made to prevent cuts.
Anyway, a guy took a hard slapshot from just outside the hashmarks....a couple deflections....bang....I'm laying on the ice hanging onto the side of my swelling neck. Not the funnest day I've ever had on the ice for sure. It could have been much worse though. A little more deflection on it and it would have caught my adams apple.
Agreed that there is a very low percentage of getting hit in the throat, but all it takes is one bad deflection to drop you for good.

canadian_man_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 10:09 AM
Knuckles30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
I don't get why a goalie wouldn't wear one. I'm no goalie, but to those who have played the position... what would be the reasoning behind not wearing one?
I play goal and when I have tried to wear one I find it sometimes gets stuck on my chest protector and stops me from looking down. I'm only 5'7 so between the neck guard on my chest protector and the length the mask goes down, there's not mush room to begin with. Probably more risky at Price's height.

Knuckles30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 10:19 AM
dre2112

those floating neck guards also aren't as functional as they're made out to be. Since they are floating, a shot at the neck guard will usually dislodge it and the puck will find it's way through an to your neck area anyways.

That's what one of my goalie friends say anyways. He's also an inch taller than Price.

dre2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 12:05 PM
canadian_man_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre2112 View Post
those floating neck guards also aren't as functional as they're made out to be. Since they are floating, a shot at the neck guard will usually dislodge it and the puck will find it's way through an to your neck area anyways.

That's what one of my goalie friends say anyways. He's also an inch taller than Price.
Depends on how you have it attached to the mask. If the strings on the side are set too long it will allow it to push sideways. I have the side strings set so it allows about 2 inches of play. I've also had a throat guard broken in half by a slapshot that would have taken me in the throat, so, needless to say, I was pretty happy to have had one on that game.

canadian_man_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 03:43 PM
Ayatollah Chowmeini

I was a goalie and I caught a shot on the collar of my chest guard, kind of like what Carey has but a little thinner.

What was scary, and I think what happened to Carey on the Philly shot, is that the concussion of the puck against the guard still kinda smacks on your trachea a bit. When I caught the slap shot (I was a pee-wee, but it was a coach's shot and it was a HARD shot) it was kind of like a muscle spasm in my trachea, causing it to constrict for about a minute or so. It was pretty scary not being able to breathe for even 30 seconds, but I was totally fine after that. Didn't even leave the ice, just skated to the bench to catch my breath.

I did start wearing the plastic dangler and it didn't bother me much except I didn't like the way pucks came off it. But I think the thing is that shock trauma to your throat can really freak you out while you can't breathe, and if you look at Price after the play, he's obviously physically distressed for a few seconds- he kind of reaches out to cover as an afterthought of cocooning around his throat.

Agreed though that a direct hit ala Trent McCleary is pretty much impossible for a goalie in today's style. It's just a matter of how much you like the shock of your throat closing up for a bit. But Carey, like always, seemed cool as a cucumber in a few seconds.

Ayatollah Chowmeini is offline   Reply With Quote