HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

No Trick For Lappy :(

Old
11-23-2010, 11:46 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Houde annoyed me when he didn't see the replay and bashed Eller after he threw Daniella's stick.
Houde hates everything that is remotely physical. He should call figure skating. Then again...

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 11:48 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
To be honest Weber looked better out there in his first couple call ups back in the day then he did last night. He looked lost out there, very lost. I know it's really early but he really doesn't look good out there at all.
The kid is absolutely dominating in the AHL, gets called up, plays Forward for about 7min per game...Is it really surprising that he's not looking fabulous?..This isn't a little amateur league where you can play all over. With 3min left in yesterday's game, Martin plays him on defense.

If we want to screw this kid up, we're doing one heck of a job.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 11:49 AM
Santino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I call that post blind homerism.

That game looked exactly like last year's playoff. Those big Habs D that shut down the opposition againt AO and Malkin, they suddenly became the useless, slow guys that don't hit and are a danger in their own zone that we saw last year.

This team has no fire and as every Martin team, no team toughness.
If your blaming Martin for this loss, then you have no clue as to what is going on. Martin's coaching has been great this season thus far. You cant blame the coach for defensive errors, players out of position and lack of effort and determination. At some point you gotta put the blame on the TEAM once in a while and not always the coach. Its easy to blame the coach when you cant see the errors yourself right?

I dont know what games you are watching but up until now, this team has gave it their all so far. Theyve been playing with desperation and urgencey for the most part, especially in our own zone. Sometimes they play as if it is a playoff game. they way everyone comes back and contributes defensively, diving for pucks, blocking shots, battling hard...i honestly dont know what you see man.....

Last edited by Santino: 11-23-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Santino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:00 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by saints96 View Post
If your blaming Martin for this loss, then you have no clue as to what is going on. Martin's coaching has been great this season thus far. You cant blame the coach for defensive errors, players out of position and lack of effort and determination. At some point you gotta put the blame on the TEAM once in a while and not always the coach. Its easy to blame the coach when you cant see the errors yourself right?

I dont know what games you are watching but up until now, this team has gave it their all so far. Theyve been playing with desperation and urgencey for the most part, especially in our own zone. Sometimes they play as if it is a playoff game. they way everyone comes back and contributes defensively, diving for pucks, blocking shots, battling hard...i honestly dont know what you see man.....
It's amazing how we beat this same Flyers team 3-0 a few nights ago and nobody posted anything about how "we look like the same Canadiens from last year's playoffs" or "we'll never win the Cup with Martin as coach". Some people are truly special cases I guess.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:03 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I call that post blind homerism.

That game looked exactly like last year's playoff. Those big Habs D that shut down the opposition againt AO and Malkin, they suddenly became the useless, slow guys that don't hit and are a danger in their own zone that we saw last year.

This team has no fire and as every Martin team, no team toughness.
Maybe you haven't watched the game entirely. I don't blame you for that, after all, it began early @ 7PM

The first period was complete domination by the Habs. Proof has been made that the Habs can really impose their will on the Flyers. The trick is to impose it 60 minutes rather than just 20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedrik
As far as scoreboard, anything could have happened, sure, but interms of quality of play we looked embarrassingly bad for the second and third.
Quality of play =/= opportunities to score. Even if they keep in our zone for 5 minutes, they didn't got close to scoring that often. We were on the defense, we had problem clearing the puck, these are all faults we have to solve. But Price hasn't even played his best 3-goal game of the year: the Flyers just couldn't make that many chances to score.

As to us, whenever we had a few seconds in their zone, we had good passes and good shots going our way. I agree they dominated the play, but they didn't dominated the score NOR the scoring possibilities (but they still were ahead of us).

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:03 PM
Bullsmith

When Lappy hit the post, something sank in the pit of my belly. I just knew it was the turning point.

Bright spots: Lappy and Pouliot (mostly, some mistakes too); Eller getting into the game; Subban's poise throughout, man he's starting to remind me of Rafalski the way he can cover ice. Gio and AK were effective.

After Gomez was a goat on the winning goal, I actually thought he played with some spark for the last half of the period. Can't exactly call him a bright spot though. Pleks and Cammy didn't have their best games. Spacek neither.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:05 PM
Santino

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
It's amazing how we beat this same Flyers team 3-0 a few nights ago and nobody posted anything about how "we look like the same Canadiens from last year's playoffs" or "we'll never win the Cup with Martin as coach". Some people are truly special cases I guess.
I know lol..and what makes me laugh, aside that so many posters here are ignorant and bipolar is that they take a sample size of one bad game to gerneralize and categorize this team. Its idiotic! Yes we lacked intensity in the 2nd and 3rd period last night, ill admit, but you have posters here who say, '' this team has no fire at all, cuz of Martin blah blah blah''.. i honestly dont get it anymore. WAKE UP PEOPLE, THEY ARE NOT GONNA WIN 82 GAMES A YEAR.

Old
11-23-2010, 12:05 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
yes sir! But some people here are already revamping our team, benching players, trading, signing so on and so forth.... after a loss to the best team in the east lol
I have to say, if Gomez would actually start to play and generate at least like he did last season, we'd be uncontested leader of the Eastern conference.

Gomez is playing a darn 3rd line center right now. Maybe that's where he needs to be.

Old
11-23-2010, 12:06 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
He didn't look that bad, I mean he comes over from Hamilton, is told to play a position which he doesn't play and what did you expect him to dominate? I didn't find him that bad and early in the game when we had a pp in the first 30 seconds Martin didn't even play him. Could have given him some confidence but he decided to go with Hamrlik and Spacek on the 2nd unit pp
Hey I never said anything about my expectations. But to blame the positioning aspect of things when he clearly looked out of place playing as D too... come on lets be real here. He looked out of place period. I'm not denying it may take a couple games but he appears to be further from ready than most people we've brought up in recent time, Pacioretty inclusive.

I'm not saying in 5 games it couldn't be different, of course players need time to adjust but this appeared to be more than just an adjustment or at least not a slight adjustment. He didn't look too out of place on the PP once we did maintain control of the zone but in every other area he looked lost.

Since he's been brought up primarily for the PP I can't say it's that big a deal but honestly I'd rather have the PHD line playing well than Weber getting few minutes and most of his 5on5 ice time as a forward...

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:09 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
The kid is absolutely dominating in the AHL, gets called up, plays Forward for about 7min per game...Is it really surprising that he's not looking fabulous?..This isn't a little amateur league where you can play all over. With 3min left in yesterday's game, Martin plays him on defense.

It has nothing to do with the ice time or stats really he just looked lost out there. I don't know how anyone could miss it really. Like I said though I'm not debating whether or not he'll still look that way in 5 games but he looked the most lost out there I've seen one of our prospects in a regular season game. At least for many years anyways. That isn't to say I don't realize these things take time and I don't disagree he should be playing D but he doesn't appear to be ready to do much out there currently. He looks lost out there at times even when playing D.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:09 PM
Santino

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolkaTruesilver View Post
I have to say, if Gomez would actually start to play and generate at least like he did last season, we'd be uncontested leader of the Eastern conference.

Gomez is playing a darn 3rd line center right now. Maybe that's where he needs to be.
demoting him to the third line and trying halpern in his spot wouldnt be a bad idea. Im all for that. But if people honestly think that sitting gomez will change anything is dreaming in flying colors.

Old
11-23-2010, 12:11 PM
Capitano

We had our best chances when the score was 2-0...hit posts...AKost missed a half-chance on another 2 on 1...we put either of those in and the game was over.

When Philly scored to make it 2-1 before the end of the second that was bad news.

Not our best game that's for sure. Team toughness wasn't an issue at all last night imo.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:12 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
demoting him to the third line and trying halpern in his spot wouldnt be a bad idea. Im all for that. But if people honestly think that sitting gomez will change anything is dreaming in flying colors.
No.

But it will prevent him from being in play while the team is on the defensive, and leave us out to dry like he did on that 4 on 4.

I'd rather have him to be the experienced and veteran guy playing with rookies than having him looking like a rookie with.. err.. pseudo-veterans.

Old
11-23-2010, 12:28 PM
Jedrik

Quote:
Quality of play =/= opportunities to score. Even if they keep in our zone for 5 minutes, they didn't got close to scoring that often. We were on the defense, we had problem clearing the puck, these are all faults we have to solve. But Price hasn't even played his best 3-goal game of the year: the Flyers just couldn't make that many chances to score.

As to us, whenever we had a few seconds in their zone, we had good passes and good shots going our way. I agree they dominated the play, but they didn't dominated the score NOR the scoring possibilities (but they still were ahead of us).
Since I don't have any 'scoring chances' stat in front of me, and since it's not an objective category anyway as far as I'm concerned, I'm just going to go with my memory and argue that they out-everythinged us except outsaved in the final 40 minutes. Basically for two whole periods I realy wished I was the other team.

This isn't a doomsayer post -- we've performed so far this season well beyond what I expected. But I know bad hockey when I see it. That one had stink lines all over it.

Jedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:38 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen View Post
Do you really believe that or are you trying to counter the near suicidal state of the fanbase after a tough loss? Because honestly, the result of that game does not indicate how it went, at all. Without a couple of lucky goals from Lapierre and a great performance by Price, this is a blowout.

I'll agree there's no need to panic and do a lineup overhaul, but the reason we shouldn't panic is precisely because this team is capable of playing much better. They did not show up in the last two periods and yet kept it close. If anything it's reason for optimism, but let's not kid ourselves about that stinker, it wasn't pretty, effort was subpar.
Really believe it. The best we could, doesn't necessarily mean no blowout. Best we can means a great goalie. A team that can't really play good solid 60 minutes. We have no physicality whatsoever and we have no physical line that could turn things around. So against a motivated Philly team and our inability to finish in the 1st.....we did the best we could.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:50 PM
la25ecoupe

Yvon Ped. just said on CKAC the real reason Bob left, anyone catched it and can summarize here?

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:59 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
Yvon Ped. just said on CKAC the real reason Bob left, anyone catched it and can summarize here?
Come on. Don't be a tease and at least give us the gist of it

Old
11-23-2010, 01:03 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post

Sorry but Weber was not dominating. He had one of the worst +/- on his team. He's not even the best d-man in Hamilton. Nash, Carle and St-Denis are superior to him. He is not NHL caliber at all.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:06 PM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Really believe it. The best we could, doesn't necessarily mean no blowout. Best we can means a great goalie. A team that can't really play good solid 60 minutes. We have no physicality whatsoever and we have no physical line that could turn things around. So against a motivated Philly team and our inability to finish in the 1st.....we did the best we could.
Are you for real?

Habs couldn't finish, had sloppy passing, positioning, puck play and couldnt generate much offence, but real the problem is they weren't finishing enough checks??? just lol...

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:07 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Come on. Don't be a tease and at least give us the gist of it
He said it was purely for hockey matter. Habs needed an experienced D-man. Gainey got good reports from someone (?) about Niiniima and made the deal (that he badly regretted after). He swore to Pedneault that it was not related to any bad off-ice behaviour by Ribeiro.

So, I guess, Ribeiro's teamates wanted him far away from their dressing room.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:53 PM
JayBee*

The thing is, the Habs played this game like they played 90% of their games this season. The only difference is Carey allowed 3 goals. How many games have the Habs won where Carey lets in 3 goals? 2.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:55 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
The thing is, the Habs played this game like they played 90% of their games this season. The only difference is Carey allowed 3 goals. How many games have the Habs won where Carey lets in 3 goals? 2.
Wo.

Stop.

You aren't starting to say Carey is responsible for this loss, aren't you?

Old
11-23-2010, 02:23 PM
JayBee*

Quote:
Wo.

Stop.

You aren't starting to say Carey is responsible for this loss, aren't you?
Where did you even get that from? I said Carey's the major reason why this team has gotten off to a good start. This team is good for 2 goals a game. If Carey lets in 3, it's a wrap. It shouldn't be...but scoring is a huge issue and the PP woes are going to really start hurting this team.

The team hasn't played well IMO, it's just that Carey has played GREAT.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 02:40 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Where did you even get that from?
Ah, okay. The way you wrote it, it seemed like you were saying since Carey left 3 goals in, that's the reason we lost, as he usually don't allow that many.

Nevermind. I agree. We have a solid goalie, and we have a shot at the top because of him.

Old
11-23-2010, 02:49 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Where did you even get that from? I said Carey's the major reason why this team has gotten off to a good start. This team is good for 2 goals a game. If Carey lets in 3, it's a wrap. It shouldn't be...but scoring is a huge issue and the PP woes are going to really start hurting this team.

The team hasn't played well IMO, it's just that Carey has played GREAT.
I dunno...I think the team has been playing great committed defensive hockey in front of Carey. I do agree with the PP problems though...1 PP goal a game would make a huge difference for our team.

I don't think you can build a team that will be great offensively, great defensively, and have great goaltending, with a great PP and the best PK in the league, etc. I think those days are over in the NHL.

We aren't anemic offensively (even though Mathman will probably say something to prove me wrong ), but I think our team defense has been fantastic this year, and goaltending has been fantastic as well. It is what it is...this is our team.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote