HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fire Ron Wilson... ASAP PART II

Closed Thread

Old
11-27-2010, 02:49 AM
robdicks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
So you're saying Fire Burke instead, after all he is one that supplied the talent that is not very good?.
well i dunno if it means fire burke... u have to give him a little bit more time than just this to turn the team around... he has to make a few more changes, but if the goal is to win the cup (which i dont see why it wouldnt be) I really don't see this core doing it... in the modern NHL you have to have as many players underpaid as possible.. I look at the amount of money we will have locked up in kessel, phaneuf, beau, komi, schenn, etc and you see the team and wonder where are we going to get the mats sundin style centre we desperately need? they don't fall off trees anymore, you have to draft them usually... the only thing you can pick up in FA is overpaid players, projects, reclamation projects, and problem players... noone gives up the top players in trades either, so I think this team might be doomed from the start....

Old
11-27-2010, 07:41 AM
pookeo9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzer View Post
I'm so sick of him talking about Kadri and AHL every god damn post-game.
Maybe he's in love with Kadri?

Old
11-27-2010, 08:23 AM
ablatt*

If a new coach can make: Kessel & Versteeg try harder, Bozak score more, Komisarek make fewer mistakes, Kadri stronger, Orr smarter, Phaneuf shoot better, Mitchell a better player... well you get my drift... then I say ya, go for it.

The Leafs plain and simple lack talent compared to the rest of the league. If lots of their mediocre talent magically steps it up next year (like Schenn) and Gustavsson proves to be a steal-a-game type of goalie, then they will be better off, but that's a stretch.

I've always heard across all sports that a good coach is only worth so much. With the same talent, a better coach can make a difference of a few games.

But if Wilson is the old-school hard-ass that people making him out to be, and is not the right coach for a young growing team, then I say try someone else.

But if anybody thinks, this team is bursting with hidden talent that only a new coach can bring out, they are very deluded.

What happens if they switch and they don't get any better? Then what?

Last edited by ablatt*: 11-27-2010 at 08:38 AM.
Old
11-27-2010, 09:15 AM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
I don't see anything wrong with the results, why would you want to fire the coach?

Seriously, this is all the fans deserve.

1. 2 consecutive years of bottom of the barrel finishes, this year is shaping up to be more of the same.

2. 2+ consecutive years of bottom of the barrel special team statistics.

3. 2 different teams, same results.

When are people going to realize that at some point the system is at fault?

Old
11-27-2010, 09:44 AM
palmateer67

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablatt View Post
If a new coach can make: Kessel & Versteeg try harder, Bozak score more, Komisarek make fewer mistakes, Kadri stronger, Orr smarter, Phaneuf shoot better, Mitchell a better player... well you get my drift... then I say ya, go for it.

The Leafs plain and simple lack talent compared to the rest of the league. If lots of their mediocre talent magically steps it up next year (like Schenn) and Gustavsson proves to be a steal-a-game type of goalie, then they will be better off, but that's a stretch.

I've always heard across all sports that a good coach is only worth so much. With the same talent, a better coach can make a difference of a few games.

But if Wilson is the old-school hard-ass that people making him out to be, and is not the right coach for a young growing team, then I say try someone else.

But if anybody thinks, this team is bursting with hidden talent that only a new coach can bring out, they are very deluded.

Coaches do make players better. That is all they do. This team does have hidden talent. They are a young team that can play very tough...but there is no faith in a system - because there isn't one - or focus on a defined goal - because there isn't one! This is Wilson's fault. Pat Burns brought greatness to his players. He pushed them hard, made them work, and he believed in them. Wilson isn't a hard ass; he is a sarcastic cement head that undercuts the players' confidence in themselves and belief in each other. Fire Wilson! Fire Wilson! Good god! Fire Wilson!

Old
11-27-2010, 09:57 AM
theTTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmateer67 View Post
Coaches do make players better. That is all they do. This team does have hidden talent. They are a young team that can play very tough...but there is no faith in a system - because there isn't one - or focus on a defined goal - because there isn't one! This is Wilson's fault. Pat Burns brought greatness to his players. He pushed them hard, made them work, and he believed in them. Wilson isn't a hard ass; he is a sarcastic cement head that undercuts the players' confidence in themselves and belief in each other. Fire Wilson! Fire Wilson! Good god! Fire Wilson!
Totally agree. Our players are better than the standings and win-loss record indicate. They often appear confused and unsure of their roles.

Old
11-27-2010, 10:08 AM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick Six View Post
I love some fans around here. Not trying to single you out, because I've seen too many people say Gilmour should be the coach. He's not even one of the better coaches in the OHL. He's 61-64-12 in three years with Kingston, and isn't even a full-time head coach.

As for the thread, I find it funny that people are calling for Wilson's head. The call to sit Kaberle was a great one, he came back in the second and had an awesome period. As for our 'run and gun' style, he's got us from giving up 3.21 goals a game last year (good for 29th), to now giving up 2.67 goals a game (good for a tie for 11th this year). Our problem is scoring goals, not defending.

Anyways, as is always in this market. Team is plays bad? Fire the coach. Scotty freakin' Bowman could be behind the bench and we'd have people calling for his head.

Killer is the head coach in Kingston as has been since late 2008, he has full control over the team. That same first year he took over he led them to the playoffs which they did not see in 3 years prior to his arrival, they were also the one of the worst teams if not the worst in the league before he arrived.

Gilmour has already been an assistant with the Marlies and before that was a player development advisor with the Leafs. He took the head coaching job to fast track what he really wants, and that's to coach in the NHL for the Leafs in my opinion.

Quote:
"We've landed the big one," Springer said. "We're very excited to have a legend come in to coach this hockey club.

Gilmour was hired as the new head coach of the Ontario Hockey League's Kingston Frontenacs on Monday. Despite the daunting task of turning around the league's worst team, Gilmour, 45, welcomed the challenge.

"You have to make the change behind the bench before you make changes on the ice," Mavety said. "I knew I wasn't going to be coaching at least a month ago. It was just a matter of waiting for Dougie and getting our answer.

"Its a fresh start for (the players). They needed something and hopefully (Gilmour as coach) will be just the thing that could put them over the top because they aren't far away from being what we expected to be."

Mavety is confident Gilmour will be an inspiration to the players.

"Doug Gilmour is a guy who was a leader in the National Hockey League. He was a captain and he led by example. His work ethic was second to none," Mavety said.

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/538573

Last edited by thebluemachine*: 11-27-2010 at 10:22 AM.
Old
11-27-2010, 10:28 AM
kevynadams42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
So you're saying Fire Burke instead, after all he is one that supplied the talent that is not very good?.
I am not saying that Burke should be fired as I do not think his work here is done. That being said, this most certainly is not Wilson's fault. Every day I hope that Phil Kessel will become a dynamite 50 goal scorer, but every game I watch I fear that he will remain at what he is: an inconsistent, often invisible player. Burke gambled hard on that, and while I will not say that the trade was lost, I will say that there would be a lot more patience in Toronto if Taylor Hall or Tyler Seguin was on this team.

The most consistent players that Burke has brought into town are Sjostrom, Brent, and Gustavsson. Which might not be a terrible thing, if he hadn't overhauled the roster and brought in big money guys like Phaneuf, Beauchemin, and Komisarek. I will not comment on Giguere as I don't consider his acquisition to be akin to the acquisition of any one of Phaneuf, Beauchemin, or Komisarek.

Old
11-27-2010, 11:32 AM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Now that's what I call a 1-2 punch.

Old
11-27-2010, 02:36 PM
Pick Six
@Lafortune_FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngbloodhockey View Post

Now that's what I call a 1-2 punch.
Boughner I can agree with, but there's no way I can with Gilmour.

If you watch the OHL for even a few seasons, you'll notice that teams go through cycles. A few years at the bottom of the standings followed by a few at the top, see: Windsor, Oshawa, Kitchener, Barrie (at the bottom this year). It's just the nature of things. Hence why Gilmour's team is improving after years of being a bottom team collecting top picks. Making the playoffs is not impressive in the OHL, for all but four teams make the post season.

Again, Boughner with back to back Mem Cups and being a coach in the NHL, yes. But Gilmour and his under .500 record in the OHL? No chance, great players very rarely make great or even good coaches.

Old
11-27-2010, 02:43 PM
Happy Fan
nifty

i always thought quinn choosing coaching over managing was somewhat of a mistake.

Old
11-27-2010, 02:54 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick Six View Post
Boughner I can agree with, but there's no way I can with Gilmour.

If you watch the OHL for even a few seasons, you'll notice that teams go through cycles. A few years at the bottom of the standings followed by a few at the top, see: Windsor, Oshawa, Kitchener, Barrie (at the bottom this year). It's just the nature of things. Hence why Gilmour's team is improving after years of being a bottom team collecting top picks. Making the playoffs is not impressive in the OHL, for all but four teams make the post season.

Again, Boughner with back to back Mem Cups and being a coach in the NHL, yes. But Gilmour and his under .500 record in the OHL? No chance, great players very rarely make great or even good coaches.

I was implying to bring in Gilmour as the assistant to Boughner, I'm fully aware Killer is not 100% ready for the lead role yet.

Old
11-27-2010, 08:09 PM
Dwight K Schrute

An Invitation:

I invite all leaf fans to Join me outside the ACC at 5:30 on Saturday December, 4th. The leafs play the boston bruins and me and a group of buddies are putting together a FIRE RON WILSON rally. We have about 20 people so far but know we need more to get any notoriety. Bring signs that clearly state our intentions. This, hopefully, will put some pressure on Brian Burke. If we can get upwards of 100 people out there expressing our right to peaceful protest hopefully we can help induce change. COME ON PEOPLE.

Old
11-27-2010, 08:14 PM
KesselIsUnreal*

i'm down

Old
11-27-2010, 08:23 PM
Bomber0104

you are gonna have people saying they'll do it but will probably never show up...

its a lot easier for everyone that goes to the game here to start a "Fire Wilson" chant.. that would be way more effective

Old
11-27-2010, 08:32 PM
Ratboy
The Samsquanch!

Weren't you the one who claimed to have a source tell you that if the Leafs lost tonight Wilson was done?

Old
11-27-2010, 08:33 PM
Ratboy
The Samsquanch!

This isn't even about this season anymore. It's about the development of the players. Wilson's gotta go, before he potentially damages them any further.

Old
11-27-2010, 08:38 PM
Baba Ganoush

i would love it if every person who says "fire Wilson" constantly on here would go with you and your pals. that would be awesome.

i'd love to hear Burke's comments afterwards.

time for the Wilson haters to put up or shut up.

Old
11-27-2010, 08:38 PM
PasDaSquini

The team needs a coaching change. Wilson has accomplished nothing in his term with the Leafs. Our special teams have gotten worse since Wilson's arrival. I gave Wilson a chance in the previous two seasons since our team was "rebuilding" but it seems like even with the "playoff" team we have now Wilson cannot do anything. However with that said the Leafs are still missing a huge part of their offense and Burke needs to address that.

Old
11-27-2010, 08:40 PM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

honestly, this team could be only marginally better under a new coach.

marginally.

that said, I have no real love for Wilson. I would have no problem if Burke canned him tomorrow.

Old
11-27-2010, 08:43 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellasLEAF View Post
honestly, this team could be only marginally better under a new coach.

marginally.

that said, I have no real love for Wilson. I would have no problem if Burke canned him tomorrow.
This is exactly how I feel. Too many are expecting miracles to happen if we change our coach. The talent is simply not there.

Old
11-27-2010, 08:43 PM
Brown Dog

Things are getting pretty grim here. Any chance Burke is starting to feel the pressure to axe Ronny? I mean, Burke has overhauled the roster completely (not very well, perhaps, but the players are totally different) and Wilson's results are exactly the same. At some point this has to be considered an inevitability, right? Right!?!??!

Old
11-27-2010, 08:44 PM
Raging Bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog View Post
Things are getting pretty grim here. Any chance Burke is starting to feel the pressure to axe Ronny? I mean, Burke has overhauled the roster completely (not very well, perhaps, but the players are totally different) and Wilson's results are exactly the same. At some point this has to be considered an inevitability, right? Right!?!??!
Just because he has overhauled the roster doesn't mean he's made it any better.

Old
11-27-2010, 08:48 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging Bull View Post
Just because he has overhauled the roster doesn't mean he's made it any better.
Agreed

Changes don't guarantee improvement.

Its almost unbelievable but the more changes Leafs make the weaker the Team gets..

11-27-2010, 08:48 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablatt View Post

Your right we shouldn't change anything. Let's keep watching this same team play the same losing system every night. Coachs are suppose to coach in a way to take advantage of skill set the team he has has to work with. Wilson can't do that. A coach that realizes Mitchell should no longer be in the nhl while Zigomanis plays in the a. A coach that realizes Lebda should be nowhere near the ice. A gm that understood that would be great as well. They both should be very close to being gone but the buddies are the new muskoka five. Maybe we should them the american two.

Closed Thread