HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Where do you see Gilroy in 2~3 years?

Old
11-23-2010, 08:33 AM
MSG the place to be*

vCash: 500
This season we've been able to roll 3 pairings and as a fan your not holding your breath until Staal and Girardi get back on the ice. I think Gilroy and the rest of the D are competing hard.

Having said that, I don't see this tremendous upside with Gilroy. He just has flaws in his game that if he hasn't worked on by now I doubt that they ever turn around. If we were to cut him loose at the end of the season I wouldn't have a problem with it.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 08:40 AM
blue2noise

A punter in the Canadian Football League

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 08:45 AM
pld459666

I see Gilroy playing for another franchise in 2-3 years.

Actually, sooner.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 08:47 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I see Gilroy playing for another franchise in 2-3 months.
I adjusted your timeframe.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 08:48 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I mean he's losing minutes to Mike Sauer, who seemingly had no place in the organization before this season, and Steve Eminger, a journeyman who makes less than Gilroy that we just brought in. Both have been better than Gilroy and deserve the minutes. Who passes him next? McDonagh? Valentenko? Hell, Kundratek?
What are you basing that on?

He's always been a player that was in the Rangers plans, the only obstacle has been injuries.

His development curve is/was normal for a defensive defenceman aside from the injury bug.

Not sure you are making a valid statement with regards to Sauer

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 08:52 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:

He's always been a player that was in the Rangers plans, the only obstacle has been injuries.

His development curve is/was normal for a defensive defenceman aside from the injury bug.

I think that was an outsider's perspective...Sauer didn't get a sniff in last year's camp. Gilroy was the shiny new toy, and MDZ has been deemed the heir to the throne of Brian Leetch since he was drafted. Plus, Sanguinetti was still around. There was even some doubt as to whether the Rangers would qualify Sauer this summer.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 08:57 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

I have a mutual acquaintance with Gilroy who has told me the kid is beginning to think he might not be a "Torts kind of guy".

fwiw

11-23-2010, 09:00 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
I have a mutual acquaintance with Gilroy who has told me the kid is beginning to think he might not be a "Torts kind of guy".

fwiw
I think it's more that he's "not an NHL kind of guy."

11-23-2010, 09:04 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I think it's more that he's "not an NHL kind of guy."
Could be, but the kid is feeling his days are numbered in NY. He will certainly get another chance with a new team.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 09:19 AM
Mats Zuccarelli
NY Hockey Rangers

He did have that nice breakaway goal against the Blue Jackets. Good times...

I hope they trade his ass today

Mats Zuccarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 09:51 AM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Where do you see Gilroy in 2~3 years?

Right where he is now. At the Garden for every Ranger game. Except he'll be selling pretzels.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 09:54 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Not shocked to hear some of your responses. Or bothered by them. It is what it is.

I will say one thing -- Often times, projects never come to fruition. They end up being a waste of time, energy, and money (or cap space!! ).

Enver Lisin is an example of this. No matter how long/hard we coached this kid, I don't think things would have ever clicked. -- Then you have cases like Boyle, where a player eventually grasps what their mentors are stuffing down their throats.

We don't know what direction Gilroy takes with his development. If he progresses the way we want him to, what type of player can he eventually be? Try and think down the road here. He'll be faster, stronger, and more experienced.

The player we're watching today can be very different from the one in a few years.

Think outside the box here. Ignore #'s and $. And stats. If you're a coach, how much can you get out of this player?

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 10:04 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Enver Lisin is an example of this. No matter how long/hard we coached this kid, I don't think things would have ever clicked. -- Then you have cases like Boyle, where a player eventually grasps what their mentors are stuffing down their throats.
You can't compare Lisin to Gilroy just because neither of them have seemed to pan out.

When the Rangers acquired Lisin there was some body of work at the NHL level that they saw and liked. He was also a second round pick.

Quote:
We don't know what direction Gilroy takes with his development. If he progresses the way we want him to, what type of player can he eventually be? Try and think down the road here. He'll be faster, stronger, and more experienced.
What's he going to develop into? What exactly do you see him becoming physically next year, the year after? He's 26. He'd done growing.

Quote:
The player we're watching today can be very different from the one in a few years.

Think outside the box here. Ignore #'s and $. And stats. If you're a coach, how much can you get out of this player?
He's going to be 27 next year. The greatest success he had was as an older player playing against kids who were as much as 6 years younger than him. That doesn't bode well. He's not competing against guys who can match his size and strength and he hasn't made the adjustment.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 10:07 AM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
He was a BIG Islander fan growing up. If he gets a shot with an NHL team, it'll be there. And frankly, he looks right in an Islander jersey(in my mind).
He looks right in a suit, sitting in the press box.

Florida Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 10:09 AM
mullichicken25

in the top 10 for points by dman in the AHL

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 10:09 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

There is no way we qualify him. Way too large a cap hit, and we have much better players currently coming up the pipeline.

Last edited by Wraparounds: 11-23-2010 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Typo
Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 10:43 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
You can't compare Lisin to Gilroy just because neither of them have seemed to pan out.

When the Rangers acquired Lisin there was some body of work at the NHL level that they saw and liked. He was also a second round pick.
I see nothing wrong with the comparison. I selected 3 players in their mid-20's with limited NHL experience. Guys who had an equal shot of improving their games under our current coaching staff.

The only problem with the comparison, is Lisin only got 1 year to prove himself. Boyle and Gilroy had a second opportunity of making this team, so we can break down the difference in their games more accurately.

Quote:
What's he going to develop into? What exactly do you see him becoming physically next year, the year after? He's 26. He'd done growing.
It's not about "growing"... I'm not expecting a second wave of puberty to bless him with a few more inches and more muscle mass.

Players are capable of improving different aspects of their game. Even at 26 years of age... I don't give a damn if you're 45 years old. You can do A LOT to your body through training and dieting.

Quote:
He's going to be 27 next year. The greatest success he had was as an older player playing against kids who were as much as 6 years younger than him. That doesn't bode well. He's not competing against guys who can match his size and strength and he hasn't made the adjustment.
His prior success has nothing to do with my question. We all know who he played against, and how he played. That's not an edict from god that limits his physical and mental ceiling. You make it sound as if a 26 year old is incapable of improving his game, which is absurd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
There is no way we qualify him. Way to large a cap hit, and we have much better players currently coming up the pipeline.
His contract has nothing to do with this thread. I did a poor job orchestrating my OP, and edited out something I shouldn't have. I wasn't asking about location. I wanted to hear opinions regarding his game. What type of ceiling he has down the road.

I recall a thread like this on Boyle last season. My how things have changed in just one off-season. Why isn't Gilroy capable of having that type of turnaround with his game?

Old
11-23-2010, 10:51 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
I see nothing wrong with the comparison. I selected 3 players in their mid-20's with limited NHL experience. Guys who had an equal shot of improving their games under our current coaching staff.
But Gilroy had no NHL experience when he was acquired

Quote:
The only problem with the comparison, is Lisin only got 1 year to prove himself. Boyle and Gilroy had a second opportunity of making this team, so we can break down the difference in their games more accurately.
Boyle has size. You can't teach that.

Quote:
It's not about "growing"... I'm not expecting a second wave of puberty to bless him with a few more inches and more muscle mass.

Players are capable of improving different aspects of their game. Even at 26 years of age... I don't give a damn if you're 45 years old. You can do A LOT to your body through training and dieting.
As you get older, it gets harder to do what you describe.

Quote:
His prior success has nothing to do with my question. We all know who he played against, and how he played. That's not an edict from god that limits his physical and mental ceiling. You make it sound as if a 26 year old is incapable of improving his game, which is absurd.
It may not limit his physical or mental ceiling, but there's no doubt his confidence is shot. Going from dominating kids to struggling against men, that can't help his psyche.

Where he comes from does matter. Jessiman dominated a mediocre NCAA league.

Quote:
His contract has nothing to do with this thread. I did a poor job orchestrating my OP, and edited out something I shouldn't have. I wasn't asking about location. I wanted to hear opinions regarding his game. What type of ceiling he has down the road.
His contract does have to do with it on some level. For the Rangers to keep him, they would have to tender him with a raise. They're not going to do that. At least they shouldn't.

I think he's AAAA player. Probably will put up numbers in the AHL but is not good enough to play consistently at the NHL level. So, what is he, Joel Bouchard?

Quote:
I recall a thread like this on Boyle last season. My how things have changed in just one off-season. Why isn't Gilroy capable of having that type of turnaround with his game?
I'll agree that too often people rush to judgement. That said, there's a noticeable difference between the way Boyle looked this year compared to last. And he's producing.

The fact is, for Gilroy to stick, it will be on the offensive side of the puck. But he's not producing offense. At some rate, a reputation is only that. Poti was considered an offensive defenseman. But he wasn't.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 10:55 AM
Cmox

An AHL fwd for another team.

Cmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 11:02 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

His weak shot drives me insane and he is certainly not a "torts kinda guy."

Hopefully we can dump him for a low round pick or SOMETHING instead of just letting him walk.

Either way. Gilroy will get his real shot next season with another team and if he can't stick it there he'll be riding buses for the rest of his career in the AHL.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 11:26 AM
Pizza

....hopefully not reading this thread any time in the near future.

It could kill what ever confidence he may have built up over the past few games.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 11:27 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
But Gilroy had no NHL experience when he was acquired
I'm still not sure what this has to do with anything. Whether he had experience or not shouldn't impact how much our coaching staff can get out of him. Lisin and Boyle's limited experience shouldn't put them in a special category.

This is what you got. Get the most out of it.

Again, Lisin only got 1 shot here so we can't get into specific details about the improvements in his game.

Boyle you could though. Improved his skating. Improved his ability with the puck. Improved the consistency with his physical game. He's gone from mediocre to good in 1 off-season.

Quote:
Boyle has size. You can't teach that.
No, but you can teach a player how to use his size. Callahan has a similar body-frame as Gilroy. His approach to the game is what seperates their physical play. That's coachable, imo.

Not entirely sure what size has to do with what I said though. You could make an argument based around Gilroy's speed, which is something they say you can't teach.

Big or small, early 20's or mid 20's, players are more than capable of improving their game. Mentally, and physically.

Quote:
As you get older, it gets harder to do what you describe.
Girardi and Boyle have shown improvements in their mid-20's. Lots of players have. This is especially true with what again? Dmen and Power forwards? That's what the experts seem to suggest, anyway...

Quote:
It may not limit his physical or mental ceiling, but there's no doubt his confidence is shot. Going from dominating kids to struggling against men, that can't help his psyche.
So much of this game is based on confidence. Look at how different a player EC is when he's not affected by bi-polar syndrome.

We haven't seen a confident form of Gilroy yet, imo. If he does achieve it though, how different a player can he be? Can our coaching staff improve his game enough for him to play at a comfortable level?

Quote:
Where he comes from does matter. Jessiman dominated a mediocre NCAA league.
If Jessiman managed to crack the line-up and become a regular, what does his past history have to do with his current game?

Quote:
His contract does have to do with it on some level. For the Rangers to keep him, they would have to tender him with a raise. They're not going to do that. At least they shouldn't.
Gilroy's contract is why I don't think he'll be on this team beyond this season. He has very little going for him at this point, because of #'s. I didn't want that to be the focus of this thread though, because it's rather obvious odds are well against him.

Quote:
I think he's AAAA player. Probably will put up numbers in the AHL but is not good enough to play consistently at the NHL level. So, what is he, Joel Bouchard?
If he doesn't improve, yes. Talking about a mediocre guy who's career will be spent in the minors when he's not getting a dozen minutes a night against opposing teams scrubs.

Quote:
I'll agree that too often people rush to judgement. That said, there's a noticeable difference between the way Boyle looked this year compared to last. And he's producing.
Why isn't Gilroy capable of having that kind of turn-around next season? Or the season after that? Listen, I'm not trying to hype this kid into something he's clearly not. I'm just trying to hear some opinions as to what type of player he can become if everything-clicks, regardless of how unlikely those odds are.

Quote:
The fact is, for Gilroy to stick, it will be on the offensive side of the puck. But he's not producing offense. At some rate, a reputation is only that. Poti was considered an offensive defenseman. But he wasn't.
Sadly, I agree. Unless he establishes some form of offense, he has very little value to us. (or any team in the league). I think some additional strength, and experience will have a dramatic impact on his confidence, and that will allow him to take that next step.

If he reaches it, what kind of player do you see? I know what the pessimist (or realist) in you thinks, and that's more than fair.

Old
11-23-2010, 11:48 AM
Garfinkel1

He's got potential to be a top 4 D-Man.

Keep in mind he's only been playing D for 1 year of NCAA and this is his 2nd year at the NHL level. He's still learning.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 11:57 AM
Miller Time NYR

Quote:

sauer was overlooked by a lot of people, sangs took the spotlight in hartford and gilroy as someone said above was the shiny new toy. i dont think many people felt sauer had a great chance at sticking with the big club with his usual nagging injuries.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 11:59 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

He is gonna be a great puck rushing defenseman once Barb Underhill is through with him.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote