HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

And THAT is why Boogaard was a great signing

Closed Thread

Old
11-23-2010, 12:40 PM
Ail
k.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
Don't take it from me, Take it from Gaborik

"I dont think anybody wants to mess around with him. Hes the best at what he does, Gaborik said. He was a help not just for me, but for everybody else on the team. I think Rangers fans will love him, and I think hes going bring a lot. People, especially defensemen, wont want to play against him. When he gets going and he hits somebody, its scary. - Marian Gaborik

I doubt you know hockey more than he does.
Yeah, and I suppose we should expect Gaborik to say, "1.6 mil for this guy? Really? He is a worthless waste of ice!"

You can't take what players say about one another at face value, especially the compliments.

11-23-2010, 12:41 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I understand the importance of having an enforcer. I don't see the importance of committing multiple years and millions of dollars for an enforcer.
The guy is 28...he will still be the heavyweight champion of the world when his contract is up and I will bet you by the time his contract is up...he will be a much better player.

When Orr first came here...he couldn't even stand on skates...

Boogey is a team first guy and Tort's told him to lose weight and he did and if they tell him to take skating lessons they will.

If one of your two superstars is glad he is on the team then every fan should get behind the guy and support him and stop whining.

Old
11-23-2010, 12:43 PM
NYR Viper

I am happy to have him on this team. The role is still there and last night he calmed everything down by his one shift he had. Is he making too much money? Probably, but that is unrestricted free agency. Either way it is a moot point because it isn't going to change.

Old
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrurysWeekend View Post
Yeah, and I suppose we should expect Gaborik to say, "1.6 mil for this guy? Really? He is a worthless waste of ice!"

You can't take what players say about one another at face value, especially the compliments.
Gabby could have said nothing at all...

Funny how you anti-fighting guys twist it to the way you like...

if you quys were beat up as kids...it wasn't Boogey's fault...let it go...

Old
blue2noise

Quote:
I understand the importance of having an enforcer. I don't see the importance of committing multiple years and millions of dollars for an enforcer.
Your team is playing with some serious ballz for the first time in 15 years. Why all the whining over 1.6 mil.

Old
11-23-2010, 12:45 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post

They were on the bus stop with Larry Brooks

Old
11-23-2010, 12:45 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
The guy is 28...he will still be the heavyweight champion of the world when his contract is up and I will bet you by the time his contract is up...he will be a much better player.

When Orr first came here...he couldn't even stand on skates...

Boogey is a team first guy and Tort's told him to lose weight and he did and if they tell him to take skating lessons they will.

If one of your two superstars is glad he is on the team then every fan should get behind the guy and support him and stop whining.
I think there's a better chance that he doesn't finish this contract than there is he becomes a much better player. I'm interested in kind of numbers you expect him to put up.

Orr was also 22 years old.

I'm thrilled they're happy. What are they supposed to say.

My main point seems to ignored: why was it necessary to commit multiple years and millions of dollars to a guy when there are people who do the same thing for a lot less? Especially in a league where the role of enforcer has been greatly marginalized. For some reason nobody can answer without offering hyperbole like "he's the heavyweight champion of the world" or "he eats children."

11-23-2010, 12:46 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Your team is playing with some serious ballz for the first time in 15 years. Why all the whining over 1.6 mil.
Why can't you answer the question?

Old
11-23-2010, 12:48 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffen View Post
Try again. It should load now. (It works for me)
still nothing =( I'll just have to pretend how awesome it was in the meantime.

Old
11-23-2010, 12:48 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
Why can't you answer the question?
Because you are set in your opinion, it wont change and some us us have a job and cant play around on message boards every 30 seconds.

Old
11-23-2010, 12:49 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
I think there's a better chance that he doesn't finish this contract than there is he becomes a much better player. I'm interested in kind of numbers you expect him to put up.

My main point seems to ignored: why was it necessary to commit multiple years and millions of dollars to a guy when there are people who do the same thing for a lot less? Especially in a league where the role of enforcer has been greatly marginalized. For some reason nobody can answer without offering hyperbole like "he's the heavyweight champion of the world" or "he eats children."
Consistency in the locker room is very important. Gaborik gave him glowing reports from when he was in Minnesota and from all reports(although no one believes them for some odd reason) his teammates like him now too.

The Rangers are building for now and the future. They obviously believe that with Prust and Boogaard in Ranger Blue they feel very comfortable in both cases.

Jody Shelley got multiple years and 1 million/season. Thats the market for heavyweights now.

Old
11-23-2010, 12:50 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Because you are set in your opinion, it wont change and some us us have a job and cant play around on message boards every 30 seconds.
I'm set in my opinion. Not trying to change yours. I just want to hear why you think it was necessary to commit multiple years and millions of dollars to a guy when there are guys who do the same thing for 1M less.

Old
11-23-2010, 12:52 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
I'm set in my opinion. Not trying to change yours. I just want to hear why you think it was necessary to commit multiple years and millions of dollars to a guy when there are guys who do the same thing for 1M less.
Because he is the BEST at it.

Same reason why you pay Hank more than Biron. Hank is better at it.

Old
11-23-2010, 12:52 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:

I'm not anti-fighting, I'm anti-wasting-cap-space.

Funny how you pro-Boogaard guys always twist it so his contract seems justified.

My point was Gaborik isn't paid to objectively evaluate the contracts of his teammates, so why should his opinion on ANY other player be valuable in such a discussion? (Protip: It isn't.)

Let's ignore that though and pretend that the people critical off Boogaard are cross-dressing sissies who got beat up as kids. Brilliant argument. I'm sorry if your answer for everything in life is resorting to violence.

Quote:
Yeah, **** having an opinion! Just hop on board with whatever everyone else is thinking/feeling. We've seen how awesome that mindset has been historically.

Old
11-23-2010, 12:53 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:

Numbers, who gives a **** about numbers...if you are looking for him to score...then you might need to check to see if there is anything between your ears.

You guys are complaining he can't skate...i am saying he will be a better skater and one last thing...he will beat the crap out of anyone who gets in his way...that is all I care about..

Old
11-23-2010, 12:53 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Because he is the BEST at it.

Same reason why you pay Hank more than Biron. Hank is better at it.
Well, at least that was an answer.

Old
11-23-2010, 12:56 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Numbers, who gives a **** about numbers...if you are looking for him to score...then you might need to check to see if there is anything between your ears.

You guys are complaining he can't skate...i am saying he will be a better skater and one last thing...he will beat the crap out of anyone who gets in his way...that is all I care about..
OK, so tell me how he'll become a much better player (you're words, not mine)?

He'll become a much better skater. Ok, how?

Old
11-23-2010, 12:57 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrurysWeekend View Post
I'm not anti-fighting, I'm anti-wasting-cap-space.

Funny how you pro-Boogaard guys always twist it so his contract seems justified.

My point was Gaborik isn't paid to objectively evaluate the contracts of his teammates, so why should his opinion on ANY other player be valuable in such a discussion? (Protip: It isn't.)

Let's ignore that though and pretend that the people critical off Boogaard are cross-dressing sissies who got beat up as kids. Brilliant argument. I'm sorry if your answer for everything in life is resorting to violence.

Yeah, **** having an opinion! Just hop on board with whatever everyone else is thinking/feeling. We've seen how awesome that mindset has been historically.

hockey is a violent sport and why not have the most violent player.

Old
11-23-2010, 12:59 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
You want an answer to your question?

Because when "the baby-eating, heavyweight champion of the world" feels like he's actually part of the team, he'll put his heart into protecting HIS team (not THE team he's temporarily part of)

How he can become an asset as a player you ask? Make it a habit to park his big ass in front while lil guys like Stepan use the screen...or get him to wind up and take that Fulton Reed shot. Don't expect him to be Denis Savard or down him because he's nothing close....send him to Boyle's skating lady!

Old
11-23-2010, 12:59 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:

No, actually Gabby couldn't have said nothing at all. He was probably asked a question by a reporter. That's not exactly something that players are going to be "no commenting" on.

Quote:
Well, some people here want to watch hockey being played in a manner that facilitates winning. Boogaard is a sideshow, and playing with "serious ballz" does not equate winning. That extra one million could have gone to help improve any number of weaknesses this team has. Instead, it's being flushed down the toilet on a player whose sole purpose is to make sure people who are more interested in watching professional wrestling than watching hockey continue to support the team/pay money to go to games.

Quote:
Agreed. Very good chance he's gone before his deal is up.

Quote:
Of course it'll be ignored, there is absolutely no credible defense of their point to be made.

Old
11-23-2010, 01:00 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
hockey is a violent sport and why not have the most violent player.
Yeah he's so violent he skates in circles behind the play practically begging someone to drop the gloves with him to justify his terrible contract.

Edit: Edited for mod edit.

Old
11-23-2010, 01:00 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie27 View Post
You want an answer to your question?

Because when "the baby-eating, heavyweight champion of the world" feels like he's actually part of the team, he'll put his heart into protecting HIS team (not THE team he's temporarily part of)

OK?
So the only way he can feel a part of the team is to commit multiple years and millions of dollars? Didn't work for Brashear.

Old
11-23-2010, 01:01 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:

Barb Underhill! They are gonna send the whole team up there this summer. When she is through with Gaborik, he will no longer need to touch the ice to skate. He will just fly through mental powers. Barb Underhill, full of grace. Hallowed by thy name. Thy Rangers comes, Thy will be done...

Old
11-23-2010, 01:02 PM
NYR Viper

I stated an answer to your question SBOB that you either missed or ignored. It is above.

Also, the Rangers have over a million in cap space, so I think it is safe to say that they wouldn't have used that extra "1 million" to upgrade anything.

Old
11-23-2010, 01:02 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:

I don't know...maybe we should ask Brian Boyle.

In Minnesota, they only wanted him to fight and in NY, Torts wants more and he will get better and if he doesn't, I don't really care...all I care about Staal laying bombs, Sauer jumping into scrums and like it our not...it is directly attributed to Boogey and Prust.

I am done...enjoy!

Closed Thread