HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks waive F Peter Schaefer UPD: UFA(Post #151)

Old
11-23-2010, 12:15 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

vCash: 500
Lots of hand-wringing over the demotion of a guy that is at this point a fringe NHLer.

Given the amount of wingers that have cleared waivers in the last few days it's extremely likely that Schaefer clears and goes to Manitoba where he is just as likely to get his skating back (probably moreso given he could play top nine minutes there), and given his AHL salary the Canucks can recall him at any time without exposing him to waivers.

What's to lose?

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:20 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
Lots of hand-wringing over the demotion of a guy that is at this point a fringe NHLer.

Given the amount of wingers that have cleared waivers in the last few days it's extremely likely that Schaefer clears and goes to Manitoba where he is just as likely to get his skating back (probably moreso given he could play top nine minutes there), and given his AHL salary the Canucks can recall him at any time without exposing him to waivers.

What's to lose?
I agree to an extent, but what's to lose is a safety net that prevents you from having to play Glass-Rypien-Oreskovich as your 4th line. *shudder*

Hate this move. Rypien should not be a player on this team, IMO. He's horrible.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:26 PM
m9

No problem with this move. People who are killing on Rypien.. well he didn't even play on the weekend and the team looked terrible. What would making a move with him accomplish? Schaefer got a nice assist on a deflected pass.. good for him. People keep complaining about the 4th line.. just be happy the team is noticing it's a problem and is trying to fix it.

Besides, the 4th line should be the least of the worries right now.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:28 PM
Kid_Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Is he? Or does it just seem that way? He has only PKed for 29 minutes and already been on the ice for 6 goals in that time, team-worst. Even Tanner Glass is better in that regard (24 minutes or something like that, 3 goals against).

Could be luck, but that's a pretty bleak statistic considering no one else is even close to being as bad — that's Ryan Johnson/Kevin Bieksa (from last season) territory right there. Small sample sizes and all that, of course.
Eh, I will play the "stats dont tell the whole tale" card on this one. But from personally watching, Schaefer seems to have a really good ability to get his stick in the passing lanes and he deflects a lot of pucks out of the zone on the PK, or breaks up plays with his active stick. It has stood out a lot more to me than Tanner Glass's work on the PK.

All personal opinion. I don't like Schaefer enough to defend him ardently on this one, to be honest, I just have viewed him as a better PK'r. Or at least he appears to be doing the right things on the PK.

Kid_Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:32 PM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Have to love it. Guy finally gets back in the line-up. makes a great pass to set up a goal, and then is waived, despite the fact that he has more talent/utility than any of the scrubs currently playing on the worst 4th line in the entire NHL.

The Canucks braintrust is making it very hard to follow the team this year.
100% agree with you. What the **** is going on in Vancouver?

Winnipeg Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:37 PM
VanEric

I just don't know how I can continue on as a Canuck fan with the waiving of Peter Schaefer.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:41 PM
Reign Nateo

Yeah I'm not seeing where this guy has been so good. We have lots of PK options, and the pass was a fluke, it was actually well behind Glass, just hit a leg and landed right on the tape of Glass. I don't think he's done anything special. Not a very hard player to play against.

Other than that he's pretty soft and ineffective. If he needs to get in shape, then do it in the AHL. Bring on Oreskovich or Tambellini please.

Reign Nateo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:44 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid_Roll View Post
Eh, I will play the "stats dont tell the whole tale" card on this one. But from personally watching, Schaefer seems to have a really good ability to get his stick in the passing lanes and he deflects a lot of pucks out of the zone on the PK, or breaks up plays with his active stick. It has stood out a lot more to me than Tanner Glass's work on the PK.
I'm not saying they tell the whole story, just something I noticed a while back. If the difference was minor I wouldn't even bring it up, it's just that he's getting scored on at almost twice (or more? didn't bother doing the exact numbers) the rate of our second worst PKer.

But, to be honest, I have no interest in this one way or another — I don't think Schaefer is good enough to demand this kind of reaction, and I don't think he was bad enough at even strength to be sent down. I'm just going to wait and see who they call up and how that person plays.

My interjection was more me being a devil's advocate than anything else.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Towelie*

Schaefer was terrible save for his better-than-Glass PK abilities.

Towelie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Type Not Specified
Part of the process

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Have to love it. Guy finally gets back in the line-up. makes a great pass to set up a goal, and then is waived, despite the fact that he has more talent/utility than any of the scrubs currently playing on the worst 4th line in the entire NHL.
That's just it right there. Schaefer played a pretty strong game and even created some offense, thus proving he doesn't belong on this team. Vigneault can't have players with actual hockey skills on his 4th line.

Maybe Vigneault is planning to change his lines around more than we think, but I kinda doubt it.

This once again brings me back to Gillis' strange handling of the Morrison situation. He offered Morrison a contract, so clearly there was some interest, but for some reason he insisted on a 2-way contract and that was the deal-breaker. Yet he signed Joel Perrault, who had never shown much of anything in the NHL and couldn't even make the team with the 4th line center spot wide open, to a 1-way. Am I missing something here?

Type Not Specified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:50 PM
Kid_Roll

Quote:
I'm not saying they tell the whole story, just something I noticed a while back. If the difference was minor I wouldn't even bring it up, it's just that he's getting scored on at almost twice (or more? didn't bother doing the exact numbers) the rate of our second worst PKer.

But, to be honest, I have no interest in this one way or another I don't think Schaefer is good enough to demand this kind of reaction, and I don't think he was bad enough at even strength to be sent down. I'm just going to wait and see who they call up and how that person plays.

Fair enough, and stats have proven my half-assed observations to be wrong before (I swear Harold Druken had NHL talent written all over him), my main reaction to this was more based on frustration with our 4th line. Schaefer didn't seem to be a problem on our 4th line and seems to have a higher ceiling as a 4th line player for us over a Desbiens or Glass, but yet he is getting waived.

I know people like to go "LOL if all we complaing about is our 4th line, we are good" but our 4th line has been terrible for 3 years running now, and we've see how it can hamper our team, it would be nice to have an actual plan for our 4th line that doesn't consist of Joel Perrault.

Basically I just want people to know how much I have hated watching Joel Perrault play on our team for 2 games. He makes me miss Lee Goren.

Kid_Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:51 PM
Type Not Specified
Part of the process

Quote:

But, to be honest, I have no interest in this one way or another — I don't think Schaefer is good enough to demand this kind of reaction, and I don't think he was bad enough at even strength to be sent down. I'm just going to wait and see who they call up and how that person plays.

I think the reaction is partly due to the fact that with Schaefer in last game and Rypien out, the 4th line was actually starting to look serviceable. The feeling now is we'll be back to Rypien on RW, and he and guys like him (ie players who fight and can't do anything else) have been a big part of the disaster that our 4th line has become. Rypien can skate at least, but it really doesn't matter when he doesn't have a clue where to go or what to do with the puck.

Type Not Specified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:52 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
I agree to an extent, but what's to lose is a safety net that prevents you from having to play Glass-Rypien-Oreskovich as your 4th line. *shudder*
Disagree. Schaefer is obviously not the center keeping Rypien out of the lineup, and we don't know what O'vich will look like if/when he gets a shot.

More likely, the line is Glass-Perrault-O'vich/Volpatti and maybe it actually looks decent for a stretch. Maybe not and Schaefer can be called back up.

Or maybe Tambellini or Hodgson get the call, start up higher on the depth chart and push a forward like Hansen or Torres to the fourth line which would be a huge help to them.

Quote:
Hate this move. Rypien should not be a player on this team, IMO. He's horrible.
Aside from the fact that both are much better as wingers and still neither are legit NHLers, I don't see how waiving Schaefer has to do with Rypien.

Maybe you think Rypien should have been waived instead, but the Canucks organization seem to place loyalty high on their list of priorities and for whatever reason Ryp has been deemed worthy of that loyalty.

He's not an every day player but it's unlikely that he's out of the league before the end of the season.

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:54 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Murph likes Tambo's chances of being recalled. Honestly, if Tambo is back in the lineup I'd like to see him in the top six with Raymond being sat so he can heal from his injury that's bothering him. Heck, put Tambo with the Twins as he was enjoying some success there while both Samuelsson and Burrows have struggled to start the season.

Mr. Canucklehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:55 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllByDesign View Post
My money is on Oreskovich... anyone wanting to put odds?
I agree.

Tambellini - eh, it's a stretch.

Hodgson - It'll be a cold day in hell before that happens.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:56 PM
AllByDesign
Thomas who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDizzle View Post
How has he looked?
He has looked as advertised. Big body player, strong on the boards. In the home opener series here in Winnipeg they had him on the first line. Had 4 points on 4 games. Since his return from concussion he has been on the third line and reduced minutes.

He's not afraid to drop the gloves, and he isn't a defensive liability (By AHL standards mind you) and he has NHL experience. Sounds ideal for a 4th liner to me.

I have no idea what the deal is with Peter Schaefer. The Bruins did the same thing as the Canucks. The Bruins sign him for 3 years... play him for part of one season then bury him in Providence. Maybe he has explosive Diarrhea or a strange fetish that alienates him from the team..

AllByDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:59 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

I'm not sold on Schaefer being an effective everyday NHL player and am disappointed by this move. That should say it all right there...

The Canucks haven't iced a single NHL calibre forward on the 4th line yet this season. Tanner Glass would be the closest of the bunch but on the other contenders in the West he's a 13th forward that can fill in for injuries or when a team needs a spark.

If this means the Canucks are calling up a player with less puckskills than Peter Schaefer I'll be calling for Vigneault's head. If it means Tambellini is coming in to play in the top 6 while pushing a top 9 forward down to the 4th line it makes a bit of sense.

It was quite puzzling however how badly Vigneault got spooked when one of the softer 4th liners produced offense - he handled it the same way as when Morrison or Tambellini contributed offensively in the pre-season, by benching them.

Has Josh Green cleared waivers? He's big, fast, defensively responsible, can PK and is familiar with Alain Vigneault. Hard to imagine he's no better than Bolduc, Rypien or Perrault. By all acounts he was good in Anaheim this season...

Drop the Sopel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:05 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
I just don't know how I can continue on as a Canuck fan with the waiving of Peter Schaefer.
Me either.

Hope I can get my deposit back on the Schaefer jersey I just ordered.

Last edited by Eddy Punch Clock: 11-23-2010 at 01:13 PM.
Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:05 PM
NFLDPower
Shi Shi Shawww

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
I agree.

Tambellini - eh, it's a stretch.

Hodgson - It'll be a cold day in hell before that happens.
Not saying anything about you personally but a number of people here had Hodgson penciled in on our roster for opening night. He was given every chance to make the team but was sent down and has been on fire as of late.

Would it really be that cold a day in hell if he was called up? I really don't think so. Try him out, see what happens. Kadri was called up and is fitting in with the Leafs (Not saying the situations are similar) so who knows what could happen.

If it doesn't work we send him down again to the AHL where hes been having lots of success.

NFLDPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:10 PM
AllByDesign
Thomas who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid_Roll View Post
Basically I just want people to know how much I have hated watching Joel Perrault play on our team for 2 games. He makes me miss Lee Goren.

Scorin' Lee Goren... man we loved him here in Manitoba. Last year he got in some hot water for verbaly jousting with a fan on facebook. His SEL team traded him to Bern as a result. Now he's ripping it up in the German league... here is a little transcription of the argument

A little OT, but you got me nostalgic.

AllByDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:17 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

I would be shocked if Hodgson doesn't play for the Canucks at some point this season. It'll probably be further down the road allowing him another 20-30 games to continue to get his game back where it was but if he's the best player in Manitoba he'll get his shot. Even if he comes up, doesn't perform and gets sent back down it'll still give him a taste of the speed of the NHL game and make his eventual transition that much easier...

Alain Vigneault would be the only thing holding Hodgson back from being the 4th line centre at year's end IMO. AV doesn't like small, soft players in his bottom 6 which wouldn't help Cody's chances but when the chips are down and Alain's job is on the line he's much more willing to ice the best lineup possible, regardles of size. If he was willing to ride Kyle Wellwood like a 1st line centre in an elimination game against the Hawks surely he can also stomach Cody in a 4th line role come playoff time.

Drop the Sopel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:19 PM
Anonymous User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastMetal View Post
I think the reaction is partly due to the fact that with Schaefer in last game and Rypien out, the 4th line was actually starting to look serviceable. The feeling now is we'll be back to Rypien on RW, and he and guys like him (ie players who fight and can't do anything else) have been a big part of the disaster that our 4th line has become. Rypien can skate at least, but it really doesn't matter when he doesn't have a clue where to go or what to do with the puck.
The likely recalling of Tambellini pushes a top 9 forward down to the fourth right-winger spot, pushing Schaefer out of the lineup. Since he is not playing, mind as well have him get more playing minutes down in Manitoba to get his game up to speed. I find this to be good move.

Anonymous User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:37 PM
Proto

Quote:

But, to be honest, I have no interest in this one way or another I don't think Schaefer is good enough to demand this kind of reaction, and I don't think he was bad enough at even strength to be sent down. I'm just going to wait and see who they call up and how that person plays.

This is probably true. I suppose my annoyance is more at the culmination of suspect roster moves this year. It's like they spend all this time tinkering with bottom pairing defensemen and 4th line forwards (often in error, I think, in the Ballard and Schaefer cases) and guys like Mason Raymond seem to not to be questioned, despite absolutely tanking this team's 5 on 5 production thus far.

I don't doubt that they'll sort this out, but before this season I was very optimistic. I thought the Canucks would finally break into the top 2 seeds in the conference and progress at least to the conference championships. Right now this team looks more like the 3rd place teams we've grown accustomed to seeing over the past eight years. That probably explains some or most of my frustration.

Proto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:38 PM
UBCsalmonslayer
@2Holmes2

Send a message via ICQ to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via AIM to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via MSN to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via Yahoo to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via Skype™ to UBCsalmonslayer
Looks like Tambo is getting the call... I hope we see the following top three lines against the Avs on wednesday:

Sedin-Sedin-Tambellini
Raymond-Kesler-Sammy
Torres-Manny-Burrows

UBCsalmonslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:41 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBCsalmonslayer View Post
Looks like Tambo is getting the call... I hope we see the following top three lines against the Avs on wednesday:

Sedin-Sedin-Tambellini
Raymond-Kesler-Sammy
Torres-Manny-Burrows
Hope he's not the only one called up.

Glass Perrault Oreskovich

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote