HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks waive F Peter Schaefer UPD: UFA(Post #151)

Old
11-23-2010, 12:41 PM
Proto

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
I would be shocked if Hodgson doesn't play for the Canucks at some point this season. It'll probably be further down the road allowing him another 20-30 games to continue to get his game back where it was but if he's the best player in Manitoba he'll get his shot. Even if he comes up, doesn't perform and gets sent back down it'll still give him a taste of the speed of the NHL game and make his eventual transition that much easier...

Alain Vigneault would be the only thing holding Hodgson back from being the 4th line centre at year's end IMO. AV doesn't like small, soft players in his bottom 6 which wouldn't help Cody's chances but when the chips are down and Alain's job is on the line he's much more willing to ice the best lineup possible, regardles of size. If he was willing to ride Kyle Wellwood like a 1st line centre in an elimination game against the Hawks surely he can also stomach Cody in a 4th line role come playoff time.
I had this conversation with someone last week. If Hodgson is playing well, I think they'll call him up for 4th line duty for the last 5-7 games of the regular season and into the playoffs. Barring an unforseen trade, I can't imagine the Canucks will have a better option come April*

*Assuming they're in the playoffs. They should be, but they're barely there now and I was pretty convince in Nonis's last season they'd manage to make the playoffs as well.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:42 PM
UBCsalmonslayer
@2Holmes2

Send a message via ICQ to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via AIM to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via MSN to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via Yahoo to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via Skype™ to UBCsalmonslayer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
Hope he's not the only one called up.

Glass Perrault Oreskovich
Hansen would be the right winger on the fourth line.

UBCsalmonslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:42 PM
Proto

I hope Samuelsson or Raymond are on the 4th line if Tambellini is the one coming up. Time for a few wake-up calls.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:43 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quick, change tacks! Tambellini was the one called up!

Great move AV and management! I knew you had it in you!

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:43 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllByDesign View Post
Scorin' Lee Goren... man we loved him here in Manitoba. Last year he got in some hot water for verbaly jousting with a fan on facebook. His SEL team traded him to Bern as a result. Now he's ripping it up in the German league... here is a little transcription of the argument

A little OT, but you got me nostalgic.
Holy crow. Can't believe Goren fell for such an obvious troll. Then again, I never thought brains were Goren's strong suit...man I hated seeing him in a Canuck uni. Good AHLer, terrible NHLer.

I don't think Schaefer is terrific by any stretch, but he was actually capable of touching the puck without handling it like a live grenade. The fact that it means Rypien will be back in the lineup to boot(and I like Rypien, he has just been brutal thus far this season) is a head scratcher.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:47 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBCsalmonslayer View Post
Hansen would be the right winger on the fourth line.
Right, my bad.

And I don't think Glass has done anything to warrant being benched so I guess Vic will just have to wait.

I sure am getting anxious to see him with the big club though.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:48 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post

It's still not a great move though. Even if Tambellini is the one called up why does Schaefer have to be the one left without a roster spot? The quota of useless plugs doesn't always have to be filled. You would think Vigneault would have figured this out by now seeing as how he's assembled the worst line in hockey consistently this season...

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:55 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
It's still not a great move though. Even if Tambellini is the one called up why does Schaefer have to be the one left without a roster spot? The quota of useless plugs doesn't always have to be filled. You would think Vigneault would have figured this out by now seeing as how he's assembled the worst line in hockey consistently this season...
After watching the Canucks play two of the softest games this season the last couple games, there isn't a chance in hell Rypien is waived.

I don't completely agree with the move, I think Scheffer is a capable player who is shaking off a lot of rust, and even while doing that could make a skill play or two. But I've also read a couple opinions on here that I think are bang on, namely the person who stated they wanted a bit more upward pressure on the skill guys in the top 9. Bringing up Tambellini puts pressure on our skilled guys to produce, which is the main failing of the team, not the large red herring you guys keep tossing out there in the fourth line.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:55 PM
AllByDesign
Thomas who?

Quote:

I'm glad no one took my bet... It'd be tough to explain to my daughter that there won't be a Christmas this year...

AllByDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:58 PM
gobi

I won't be surprised if it's Samuelsson who will be demoted to the 4th line.

gobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:08 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
After watching the Canucks play two of the softest games this season the last couple games, there isn't a chance in hell Rypien is waived.

I don't completely agree with the move, I think Scheffer is a capable player who is shaking off a lot of rust, and even while doing that could make a skill play or two. But I've also read a couple opinions on here that I think are bang on, namely the person who stated they wanted a bit more upward pressure on the skill guys in the top 9. Bringing up Tambellini puts pressure on our skilled guys to produce, which is the main failing of the team, not the large red herring you guys keep tossing out there in the fourth line.
The poor play of Burrows, Raymond and Samuelsson is the most pressing issue with the team and I've said as much numerous times but the difference between their struggles and the 4th line's is that the top 6 has been effective for this club in the past, 2 of them aren't anywhere near 100% and changes will not be made to the personnel. The 4th line however has never earned the benefit of the doubt, changes realistically could be made and poor personnel decisions abound.

If a core player like Luongo or the Sedins aren't performing there's not much you can do but ride it out - when bubble players aren't performing the coaching staff have a lot more options and tools at their disposal to get better results.

The top 6 will eventually get rolling - the 4th line with Rick Rypien and Tanner Glass on it at the same time likely never will. That's the difference.

Old
11-23-2010, 01:10 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobi View Post
I won't be surprised if it's Samuelsson who will be demoted to the 4th line.
I would. Samuelsson would be even less effective on a 4th line, if he gets demoted, it'll likely be to the 3rd line and Hansen will probably drop down to the 4th. I'm not even sure AV will drop him below the 2nd line, he seems to like him.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:14 PM
GJB

Am I the only one who can't see how Tambellini is going to help us right now?

We already have Burrows, Samuelsson, and Raymond on the top wing spots that Tambellini would fit into best. Putting Tambellini in the top 6 doesn't help this team.

He isn't going to be a better PK'er than Schaefer.

He isn't going to provide size, make some hits or have a fight like Oreskovich.

He isn't suited for a bottom 6 position.

He will not suddenly become a bonafide NHL top 6'er and replace Samuelsson, Burrows etc...

GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:15 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
I would. Samuelsson would be even less effective on a 4th line, if he gets demoted, it'll likely be to the 3rd line and Hansen will probably drop down to the 4th. I'm not even sure AV will drop him below the 2nd line, he seems to like him.
I agree.

We'll likely see either Tambellini back with the Sedins (though Burrows may start with Tambi ready to step-in if Burrows continues to struggle) with Samuelsson dropped down to play with Torres-Malhotra and Hansen on the fourth line with Perrault and Glass/Rypien.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:18 PM
Andy Dufresne

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJB View Post
Am I the only one who can't see how Tambellini is going to help us right now?

We already have Burrows, Samuelsson, and Raymond on the top wing spots that Tambellini would fit into best. Putting Tambellini in the top 6 doesn't help this team.

He isn't going to be a better PK'er than Schaefer.

He isn't going to provide size, make some hits or have a fight like Oreskovich.

He isn't suited for a bottom 6 position.

He will not suddenly become a bonafide NHL top 6'er and replace Samuelsson, Burrows etc...
He should be on the wing with the Sedins. For the simple reason that he outplayed every other winger who's been given that chance, by a wide margin, this year. That's how I see him helping the Canucks.

Andy Dufresne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:28 PM
Hammer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
I found it sort of funny that the two times Schaefer made positive offensive contributions (his goal and his nice setup last game) he was immediately benched afterwards, as if AV was afraid people might get the wrong idea about Schaefer. I'm pretty sure he didn't see the ice at all in the third period Sunday, did he?

So random.
Schaefer, along with Glass and Perrault, got benched after Phoenix scored the game winner, which was about 6 mins into the third.

http://www.timeonice.com/default.htm...0297&submit=Go

Woah, just saw this:

Quote:
He will likely not go to Manitoba, choosing retirement instead.
http://www.cknw.com/Channels/Reg/Spo...spx?ID=1316072

Last edited by Hammer79: 11-23-2010 at 01:40 PM.
Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:33 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
Schaefer, along with Glass and Perrault, got benched after Phoenix scored the game winner, which was about 6 mins into the third.

http://www.timeonice.com/default.htm...0297&submit=Go
Well, when you are down a goal with just over half a period left I don't think they would have seen any time regardless.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:34 PM
galiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastMetal View Post
This once again brings me back to Gillis' strange handling of the Morrison situation. He offered Morrison a contract, so clearly there was some interest, but for some reason he insisted on a 2-way contract and that was the deal-breaker. Yet he signed Joel Perrault, who had never shown much of anything in the NHL and couldn't even make the team with the 4th line center spot wide open, to a 1-way. Am I missing something here?
Agree. And Joel Perrault is simply not NHL material. Wouldn't it be nice to know what went on with Mo and why they let him walk away. He could have been dynamite as the 4th line centre and it made no sense not to offer him a one way.

Schaeffer ?? In Winnipeg he'll get lots of ice time, his game should improve and then we may see him back in Vancouver.

galiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:50 PM
Hammer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by galiano View Post
Agree. And Joel Perrault is simply not NHL material. Wouldn't it be nice to know what went on with Mo and why they let him walk away. He could have been dynamite as the 4th line centre and it made no sense not to offer him a one way.

Schaeffer ?? In Winnipeg he'll get lots of ice time, his game should improve and then we may see him back in Vancouver.
Quote:
He will likely not go to Manitoba, choosing retirement instead.
http://www.cknw.com/Channels/Reg/Spo...spx?ID=1316072

Old
11-23-2010, 01:59 PM
adamzilla

Don't understand why people are so up in arms about this move. It's not like Schaefer stood out among any of the other garbage 4th liners we have.

adamzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 02:02 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamzilla View Post
Don't understand why people are so up in arms about this move. It's not like Schaefer stood out among any of the other garbage 4th liners we have.
Have read some of the threads around here lately? Some people are actually pining for Wellwood! Anything will set them off at this point.

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 02:16 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
Have read some of the threads around here lately? Some people are actually pining for Wellwood! Anything will set them off at this point.
The guy was good enough to be playing 1st line minutes in an elimination game against the Hawks but wouldn't be an upgrade on Perrault, Rypien or Bolduc? Yeah right.

Old
11-23-2010, 02:32 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamzilla View Post
I thought he was better than most of them actually.

Just seems add odd move to waive him and keep Glass, Rypien, Desbiens.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 02:56 PM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
What's so odd about this? Sheafer has a two way contract. Winnipeg is playing in Abbotsford for two games. Sheafer gets some game time and Tambellini demonstrates his progress for Vignault. I wish they'd done it with Samuelsson, but obviously this is easier.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 02:58 PM
Hammer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
What's so odd about this? Sheafer has a two way contract. Winnipeg is playing in Abbotsford for two games. Sheafer gets some game time and Tambellini demonstrates his progress for Vignault. I wish they'd done it with Samuelsson, but obviously this is easier.
According to CKNW, Schaefer is going to retire though instead of being assigned.