HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks waive F Peter Schaefer UPD: UFA(Post #151)

Old
11-23-2010, 07:19 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Was anyone advocating Wellwood in a 4th line role before you brought him up?
No, (well , maybe, I have a long ignore list) which is why it was strange to me that you brought up the 4th line centers on the Canucks at all.

Quote:
My comment was just going to show as much criticism as Wellwood received he was still twice the player as anyone in that role this season - not that he should have been brought back or put in that role. In the off-season I said as much, that Wellwood wouldn't fit on this roster with the changes the team wanted to make.
What role is that? Last year Wellwood was the Canucks 3rd line center. Do you think he is twice the player that Malhotra is? Or are you still comparing him to 4th line centers? I don't remember him playing that role last season but I could be wrong.

Quote:
Would he be better than anyone we have? Yes. Do I think he should have been brought back to fill that role? No.
I'm not sure what point you are making anymore. Sorry, just forget it.

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 08:02 PM
Velociraptor

vCash: 500
Although he did virtually nothing, I liked Schaefer on the penalty kill, and that he was a serviceable fourth liner. It's too bad this is probably his last run at hockey, and he will most likely retire tomorrow. I was glad he was able to come back for one last laugh. Doesn't look bad on Gillis either which is great.

Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 08:07 PM
JUMBOcanuck

vCash: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
Although he did virtually nothing, I liked Schaefer on the penalty kill, and that he was a serviceable fourth liner. It's too bad this is probably his last run at hockey, and he will most likely retire tomorrow. I was glad he was able to come back for one last laugh. Doesn't look bad on Gillis either which is great.

You think he's going to retire because he's not in the NHL? he didn't play hockey at all last season, so I'm sure he'll be willing to tough it out in Manitoba until Vancouver needs him, or another teams feels they could use him in a 4th line role.

JUMBOcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 08:12 PM
xtr3m

Doesn't look like Schaefer is in the team's plans anymore as AV said this morning that they hope he (Peter) gets picked up by another team.

xtr3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 09:05 PM
Johnny Canucker

this shouldnt even really be news. The guy was playing beer league hockey 3 months ago

Johnny Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 09:18 PM
eklunds source

Quote:
The Canucks haven't iced a single NHL calibre forward on the 4th line yet this season. Tanner Glass would be the closest of the bunch but on the other contenders in the West he's a 13th forward that can fill in for injuries or when a team needs a spark.
I disagree with your assessment of Glass - his willingness to drop the gloves, *single* minor penalty (2min High Sticking in Chicago loss, when score was 2-0) in 159:16 of ice time.. hell, he has 5 points - that's more than Burrows has, more than Hansen has, more than any defenseman not named Ehrhoff/Edler.. Glass has been more than a 13th forward. I think he's earned regular fixture on the 4th line at least.

eklunds source is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 09:30 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
virtually nothing = virtually nothing bad. More than I can say for Rypien and Glass.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 09:49 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCatcher View Post
This is ridiculous.

After managing an assist and possibly the best shift his season (holding the puck against three players on PK) he gets waived.

Gillis' biggest mistake is extending AV, which is surprising since he is quite competent at analyzing attributes and assessing people.
+1.

Regardless of how well he played on the week-end, he was gone.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 09:50 PM
stevecanuck16

I'm waiting on pins and needles for Schaefer's inevitable anti-Vigneault media tirade. Should be coming soon.

stevecanuck16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 10:34 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
I disagree with your assessment of Glass - his willingness to drop the gloves, *single* minor penalty (2min High Sticking in Chicago loss, when score was 2-0) in 159:16 of ice time.. hell, he has 5 points - that's more than Burrows has, more than Hansen has, more than any defenseman not named Ehrhoff/Edler.. Glass has been more than a 13th forward. I think he's earned regular fixture on the 4th line at least.
He's definately the best of the bunch and isn't a bad #12 forward. I like Glass when he's the worst player on his line, it's when he's the guy your 4th line is built around is where things go wrong.

If Glass gets at all complacent and starts hitting and fighting less I think his job is in serious jeopardy. He'll need to play his entire career like he's trying to break into the league and that's a tough thing to do - time will tell if he's willing to pay that price to stay in the NHL.

Glass Hodgson Oreskovich

Out of what the Canucks have within the organization those are the players I hope rise to the top and wind up on that 4th line by year's end.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 12:26 AM
Falconator

Meh...he's slow and other younger players can do what he does.

Falconator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 02:08 AM
Vanier Park

Don Taylor from Sportsnet Connected just said that Peter Schaefer will probably retire on Wednesday rather than being sent to Manitoba

Vanier Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 02:31 AM
ProstheticConscience
Yes or no, Lester?

Rypien must have some really juicy incriminating photos of AV doing something unsavory. Only way to explain it.

And the 4th line continues to suck.

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 03:21 AM
MS

Sucks for Schaefer but the writing was on the wall.

We needed to make a change, Tambellini deserves to be here, and he was the obvious choice to go. Rypien, poorly as he's played, does add toughness and still has age on his side. Schaefer is 33 and a lot easier to cut. He's looked good on the PK but 5-on-5 has been very mediocre.

Would have preferred that we cut Parent and carried 14 forwards, but management here seems dead-set on keeping 8 defenders.

Hope Schaefer doesn't retire and accepts the assignment. If he sticks with it, you know we'll have injuries as the season goes along and the chances he's on the expanded playoff roster are pretty decent given that he's proven he can be solid depth and do a good job on the PK (moreso than any AHL wingers if we suffer a couple injuries to PK guys come April). Would be a shame if he worked so hard to get back to the NHL and doesn't follow it through to the end of his contract.

MS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 05:16 AM
Komarov47

So basically what your 4th line will looks like?

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 05:46 AM
orcatown

Best part about all this is that it gets the potentially best 4th liner on the team, Hansen, onto the 4th line.

Schaeffer is certainly not any big loss. There where times when he looked ok but he never looked like helping the team much. Probably has outplayed people like Rypien but he brings no toughness or grit and doesn't compensate in other areas enough to make up for this. His style is ultimately very passive.

It's really unpardonable that the Canucks have had such problems over the years setting up a decent 4th line. At present, the situation does not appear to be getting any better.

orcatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 10:14 AM
Lz68

Anyone know if he retires mid season will he still take up one of the 50 contract spots?

Lz68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 11:35 AM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
So basically what your 4th line will looks like?
Some combination of Tanner Glass - Joel Perrault - Jannik Hansen/Rick Rypien/Jeff Tambellini.

Glass has been decent and I think is a regular 4th liner, C and RW have been a black hole this year, and Glass nowhere near capable of carrying a line. Been through 5-6centres for the 4th line already (Bolduc, Schaefer, Rypien, Bliznak, Tambellini and now Perrault have spent at least some time there). Need to find some congruency on that line and get some chemistry. Most of the fan-base is expecting a player to be added at some point, preferably a centre. Rick Rypien has been pretty awful in a predictibly tumultious season so far, he seems to alway have drama. If indeed Hansen plays there, and Tambellini earns his way into the line-up nightly, this line will get a lot better.

Reign Nateo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 11:51 AM
stevecanuck16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lz68 View Post
Anyone know if he retires mid season will he still take up one of the 50 contract spots?
This is a very interesting question. I'd also like to know...

stevecanuck16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 11:59 AM
Placebo Effect

99% sure that when you retire, your contract is gone.

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 12:14 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Glass Hodgson Oreskovich

Out of what the Canucks have within the organization those are the players I hope rise to the top and wind up on that 4th line by year's end.
I agree 100%.

It would take a perfect storm of trades/injuries/demotions for that to happen but I think that line would be great.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 12:23 PM
Placebo Effect

Cleared

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSNBobMcKenzie
CAR puts Jon Matsumoto on waivers. VAN's Peter Schaefer clears waivers.

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 01:12 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

I commend Gillis for giving Schaefer a chance and I regret that we won't see Gillis' small gamble thru.

I disagree that he couldn't have been helpful eventually - his hockey intellect is miles ahead of most of our 3rd and 4th liners. Keep in mind he was a 50pt guy as late as 2006-07 and he's still only 33. You need guys like that to step up when you're trying to win it all.

It would take a lot of determination and perseverance on his part to report to the Moose with so little chance of getting called up again.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 01:13 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

It won't happen, but claiming Matsumoto might be a good idea.

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 01:22 PM
Wayne Maki

Quote:
Originally Posted by spixel View Post
99% sure that when you retire, your contract is gone.
Yeah, as long as the player was under 35 when his contract began.

Wayne Maki is online now   Reply With Quote