Wild Claim Patrick O'Sullivan

Old
11-23-2010, 02:49 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
Amazing move. I think this will not only help out our team but also POS as well. He's coming back home to the organization that took a chance on him and he knows some of the team already.

Welcome back Sully!
There's what, Koivu, Burns and two months of Brodziak if we're not counting injured players?

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 03:05 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
There's what, Koivu, Burns and two months of Brodziak if we're not counting injured players?
Schultz (he's not injured right?). Stoner.

Not Brodie though.

BTW I think Koivu will help.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 03:09 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

POS:
200809 Edmonton Oilers NHL 19 2 4 6 12

Brodziak:
200809 Edmonton Oilers NHL 79 11 16 27 21

POS is listed as a left handed center... Maybe slotted in as a winger.

Right Winger?

I don't know a lot about him.

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 03:13 PM
El Nino22

Honestly if you don't think this was a great move you are a pessimist with little hockey knowledge. Right now we have Cal Clutterbuck in our top 6. I am as big of a supporter of Clutter as there is, but he doesn't belong there. We also have Anti Miettnen who doesn't belong on our top line. I cannot imagine anyone could be upset about adding a guy who put up 35 points last year in Edmonton playing with Ryan Jones and Andrew Cogliano. Richards has already said O'Sullivan will get top 6 minutes with PP time which is what he needs. He isn't a grinder or a great defensive player. He is an offensively minded forward with tons of skill. Lets not forget he has 97 point AHL season under his belt and a 53 point NHL season. That's a lot more than Latendresse ever had and look how he is doing now. This was a great move I can't understand anyone not liking this. If you are willing to give Robbie Earl minutes and hinder Casey Wellman's development by giving him minutes how are you not willing to give a 25 year old with a record of NHL success minutes. His 34 point season is better than Nystrom, Clutterbuck, Brodziak, Staubitz, and Sheppard's best seasons.

El Nino22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 03:15 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
Schultz (he's not injured right?). Stoner.

Not Brodie though.

BTW I think Koivu will help.
You are right about Stoner, but I thought he played in Houston the lockout year in addition to 2005-2006. Anything with Koivu, Schultz and Burns would be fleeting at best (prospect camps, etc.) since none of them played for the Aeros that season and POS was never called up to St. Paul.

Old
11-23-2010, 03:19 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

We add a kid who is willing and capable of shooting the puck for little risk.

Great move.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 03:24 PM
State of Hockey

It's like putting a spot band-aid on a gaping cut. It may help, but it's no answer. POS has been a POS for a few years now. He was playing terrible for a terrible team and couldn't hang onto a roster spot. Then Carolina takes him back as a cheap chance, and he bombs there. You hope for something but expect nothing. I don't think Patty O is worthy of our top-6. CC has earned his spot up in there.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 03:36 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
You are right about Stoner, but I thought he played in Houston the lockout year in addition to 2005-2006. Anything with Koivu, Schultz and Burns would be fleeting at best (prospect camps, etc.) since none of them played for the Aeros that season and POS was never called up to St. Paul.
O'Sully? I think two training camps. He might know some others from like rookie camps and such.

But still, it's nice. You work in training camp, get to know some of the guys. At least you know them LOL

BTW right on Brodie, forgot about the Oils.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 03:47 PM
Casper
30 goal grinder

there really is no way that CF couldn't have made the move. Adds potential talent and allows for Casey to get back to Houston to start playing some big minutes and continue to develop properly.

Worst case..he becomes a 'band-aid on the gaping cut,' at the very best we get Lats part Dos!!

(although something in between certainly doesn't hurt either)

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 03:53 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
It's like putting a spot band-aid on a gaping cut. It may help, but it's no answer. POS has been a POS for a few years now. He was playing terrible for a terrible team and couldn't hang onto a roster spot. Then Carolina takes him back as a cheap chance, and he bombs there. You hope for something but expect nothing. I don't think Patty O is worthy of our top-6. CC has earned his spot up in there.
I really admire your pollyanna view of the world SOH.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 03:56 PM
BuddyMcCormick

vCash: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceUNO View Post
I really admire your pollyanna view of the world SOH.
Scratch that. I thought you meant his positive views on things. :-p

BuddyMcCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 04:01 PM
LuLuBelle

Quote:
He did not 'bomb' in Carolina.

LuLuBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 04:01 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Also since no one posted it on here and I've seen three times today on other sites:

Old
11-23-2010, 04:28 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
if nothing else this makes me like Fletcher more. dude is actually not just sitting behind his desk playing "should I? shouldn't I?" all day. he's a do-er. Gotta love it.

and really after POS's trajectory through the NHL so far no-one can be pissed at him when he sucks, right?

Generic User is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 05:53 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuLuBelle View Post
He did not 'bomb' in Carolina.
I hope you're joking. He couldn't make the top-6 of a team that was auditioning for half of those jobs.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 06:05 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Quote:
I hope you're joking. He couldn't make the top-6 of a team that was auditioning for half of those jobs.
i think the rebuttal to that would be "He wasn't given the chance to succeed." POS's rebuttal, I mean. He may or may not have a point, but the fact that he's flipped through so many systems in such a short period of time doesn't incline me to give him the benefit of the doubt in determining the validity of this position.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 06:11 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

I'm pretty curious to see what Richards does with him. He's already told the media that POS will get top-six minutes....

But what qualifies as a "top-six" on this team?

The top 3 lines have consisted of:
Brunette - Koivu - Miettinen
Wellman - Cullen - Clutterbuck*
Nystrom - Madden - Havlat

Wellman sent down. Good.

I guess I'm still left with a huge gap in knowing anything about O'Sullivan. What's his skating like? Is he fast enough to slot into the right side of Cullen? Or does Cullen move back to LW on that line and POS centers it? Is this a RW'er for Koivu?

Honestly, I'm feeling a bit at a loss because I don't know much about him... Never thought he'd come back to MN.

Old
11-23-2010, 06:13 PM
BigT2002

I think its pretty funny lol

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 06:17 PM
saywut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
I'm pretty curious to see what Richards does with him. He's already told the media that POS will get top-six minutes....

But what qualifies as a "top-six" on this team?

The top 3 lines have consisted of:
Brunette - Koivu - Miettinen
Wellman - Cullen - Clutterbuck*
Nystrom - Madden - Havlat

Wellman sent down. Good.

I guess I'm still left with a huge gap in knowing anything about O'Sullivan. What's his skating like? Is he fast enough to slot into the right side of Cullen? Or does Cullen move back to LW on that line and POS centers it? Is this a RW'er for Koivu?

Honestly, I'm feeling a bit at a loss because I don't know much about him... Never thought he'd come back to MN.
I'd expect O'Sullivan to play LW. He's a left-hand shot and to my knowledge has quite a bit more experience than Clutterbuck or Miettinen playing the left side. Perhaps on a line with Havlat, as Nystrom has stone hands. Clutterbuck could then be re-united with Nystrom and Madden.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 06:21 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
I think its pretty funny lol
me too. i have no hate/hardon toward the signing or POS as a hockey player. Could work out, but who cares if he doesn't? It's mostly amusing.

Old
11-23-2010, 06:25 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Ok. LW it is...

Brunette - Koivu - Miettinen = two average on speed, one below average. evens out and they work well together.

O'Sullivan - Cullen - Havlat = Does O'Sullivan have the wheels to keep up with Cullen? The smarts to stay with Havlat?

I will say that I'm not surprised that he couldn't break into the top 6 with Carolina. Skinner has shocked a lot of people with his hockey IQ and agility on skates. He's still not what i woulc call a "fast" skater, but he's pulling toe turns better than Crosby. Probably due to that figure skating past... That, and Jokinen, Samsonov, and other have all stepped up their play. Maurice wants a solid checking and defensive third line... /shrug

I wouldn't say POS is a bomb. I would say that Carolina is still probably in the market for a solid 3/4 D pairing. Although, that hole has been filled, I think...

Old
11-23-2010, 08:36 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
me too. i have no hate/hardon toward the signing or POS as a hockey player. Could work out, but who cares if he doesn't? It's mostly amusing.
So what you're telling me is I shouldn't of gotten rid of my POS Wild jersey

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 08:50 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

I lol'd when I saw this headline. Actually lol'd. Mountain Dew all over my computer screen.

It's funny because we were just talking about how getting Patty O back would not be a smart thing to do.

Then it happened. I still find it funny.

usernam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 08:52 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by AS74 View Post
I lol'd when I saw this headline. Actually lol'd. Mountain Dew all over my computer screen.

It's funny because we were just talking about how getting Patty O back would not be a smart thing to do.

Then it happened. I still find it funny.
trading for POS is a different animal than getting POS for nothing though. thank god.

lol--BigT you actually have a POS jersey?! or is it POS the artist?

Old
11-23-2010, 08:58 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I like the move. See the definition of insanity, etc. We're last in the league in shots and 27th or something in offense...need someone.

Wellman is not ready. 15-odd games and a single assist, and getting second line minutes and PP time...not getting it done.

For right now, it seems like Havlat can't play with skill guys for some reason, so he'll be on the third line and Sully will be on the second.

The kid does have some offensive ability, he's shown that in the past. There is no risk whatsoever, and we even save cap space by putting Sully in over Wellman. If he sucks, back on waivers. Whatever.

I don't buy the idea that he'll wreck the locker room either...a 25-year-old who's bounced around the league doesn't just walk in and change a locker room. If that's the case, he'll get his ass handed to him in a hurry. It's not like a Moss situation where we've got rookies who are going to be looking up to the legend that is Patrick O'Sullivan.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote