HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

We need a left winger....

Old
11-24-2010, 05:29 PM
kingsfan28
Viva Los Cucarachas!

vCash: 500
We have Peter Harrold playing forward, we don't need a LW. Just put him on the top line and watch him go.

kingsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 06:20 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan28 View Post
We have Peter Harrold playing forward, we don't need a LW. Just put him on the top line and watch him go.
Don't give them any ideas.

How the hell did the Kings lose Cammalleri, Frolov and Moulson for absolutely NOTHING and have this kind of gaping hole.

It's just horrendous asset management from the management team.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 09:18 PM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

Our offense looked just as bad as our defense tonight.

...and the beat goes on to secure a LW for that top line.

savemefromtears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 09:35 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Don't give them any ideas.

How the hell did the Kings lose Cammalleri, Frolov and Moulson for absolutely NOTHING and have this kind of gaping hole.

It's just horrendous asset management from the management team.
... Well, if they don't improve this season from what they did last season (i.e., win a playoff round), maybe the right thing will be done and the management team will be changed. Just remains to be seen as to how they address this. They didn't want to take a flier on O'Sullivan; I disagree with them there, but hey that's fine as long as they realize that what they have out there isn't cutting it and find a proper solution. People here have called Lombardi a genius and one of the best GMs in the NHL - it's time to show it. Playing Dwight King on the first line and Peter Harrold up front is just embarrassing, and I'm not going to blame players who are out of position or in over their heads for poor play. It's not their fault. It is management's.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 09:46 PM
The VEGASKING
#1 fan

Send a message via AIM to The VEGASKING Send a message via Yahoo to The VEGASKING
JT must be one of those O'Sullivan jersey owners The Kings need to do something at LW but that isn't it.

The VEGASKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 09:47 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... Well, if they don't improve this season from what they did last season (i.e., win a playoff round), maybe the right thing will be done and the management team will be changed. Just remains to be seen as to how they address this. They didn't want to take a flier on O'Sullivan; I disagree with them there, but hey that's fine as long as they realize that what they have out there isn't cutting it and find a proper solution. People here have called Lombardi a genius and one of the best GMs in the NHL - it's time to show it. Playing Dwight King on the first line and Peter Harrold up front is just embarrassing, and I'm not going to blame players who are out of position or in over their heads for poor play. It's not their fault. It is management's.
agree w/ you 99% {don't agree that O'Sully would be even a plan X, Y or Z} ... I can't fault AHL quality players for giving 110% on an NHL ice surface, it's time for Lombardi to step up and improve the team. He KNOWS we had a hole, and while I'm fine he didn't break the bank/future to get a deal done with Kovalchuck, he shouldn't have stopped trying to improve the team after that, Poni replaced Frolov, but Dean NEVER replaced Cammalleri to this day. That was 3 years ago now Dean, tic toc.

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 09:47 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASKING View Post
JT must be one of those O'Sullivan jersey owners. The Kings need to do something at LW but that isn't it.
... Well, go ahead and tell me what they need to do, then. Really easy to ridicule someone else's suggestion when you don't have one of your own.

Old
11-24-2010, 09:49 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
... Yep the guy who's won just as many Cups as Patrick O'Sullivan and has built such a good organization over five plus seasons that the great Dwight King is on first line LW duty
zing!!

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 11:30 PM
ean

Kings need a playmaking wing alongside kopi more than they need a sniper. People forget that kopi is a legit sniper in this league. He just needs someone to get him the puck(not dwight king).

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 06:59 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
... He played ONE season with a terrible team, moves on and plays 9 minutes a game for 10 games with a mediocre team. What's not to know??? Are those reasonable opportunities? Of course not. He scored 96 points in two seasons before that. Does that not count for anything?

He's making 600 grand a year, about the same as Dwight King. I KNOW he's a better player than Dwight King. What's the problem with taking a flier? He has skill. He got discouraged with the losing in Edmonton; that happens. The Kings need a guy who can play on that line. He's been teammates with Kopitar and Brown. Some of the fans here (of which I am one) still like him and think he's worth a shot. He's 25 years old. He can only go up from where he is now, right? I think at this point it's not so much a question of "Why?" as much as it is "Why Not?"
Winners make the best of the opportunities given and earn others.

Losers whine about it.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 08:31 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
... Well, go ahead and tell me what they need to do, then. Really easy to ridicule someone else's suggestion when you don't have one of your own.
I realize the above post was directed at VEGASKING and not me, but it's a nice transition nevertheless...here is my take on a good fit at left wing.

http://lakingsnews.com/2010/11/25/le...ate-erik-cole/

Old
11-25-2010, 08:46 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Getting a left winger is nice and all. I would rather go super super hard after Brad Richards, then put Kopitar on his wing. Richards is better than any available left wing

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 09:09 AM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

To LA:
Ponikarovsky
Parse

To IR:
Future Considerations

FootKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 09:11 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
So what are you going to do with the O'Sullivan jersey?

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 09:23 AM
timmeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
So what are you going to do with the O'Sullivan jersey?
Wear it on top of full hockey gear and dress as King's first line LW. Can't get any worse, right?

timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 10:00 AM
Chazz
HFBoards Sponsor

brad richards would be a great fit

Chazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 10:12 AM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

Has anyone even thought that maybe the LW hole is there by Lombardi's own design to see how Brown and Kopitar respond to the challenge?

I'm not saying he is or that I agree with it, but I wouldn't put it past him.

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 10:26 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
Has anyone even thought that maybe the LW hole is there by Lombardi's own design to see how Brown and Kopitar respond to the challenge?

That is something Dean would try. I just don't know how ownership views stuff like that. Cause Dean could be playing with Fire.

That kind of stuff (I believe) is what got him fired in San Jose.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 10:31 AM
SFKingshomer

Nope, we need our #1 center to make his wingers better.

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 11:54 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
I realize the above post was directed at VEGASKING and not me, but it's a nice transition nevertheless...here is my take on a good fit at left wing.

http://lakingsnews.com/2010/11/25/le...ate-erik-cole/
Not bad.

Other possibilities:

Niklas Hagman
Dustin Penner
Cory Stillman (way down on the list)
Blake Wheeler (requires Brown to return to LW)

Just spit ball'in.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 01:15 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:

It would be a pretty gutsy move in year 5 - but hey, he's already got HIS extension, so why not?

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 01:28 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Winners make the best of the opportunities given and earn others. Losers whine about it.
... Whatever, blah blah. It's not like O'Sullivan's the only player in the history of hockey to have an off-season. He was playing on a terrible team, and it looks like that team's sure doing a great job of losing games without him this season as well. Anyway, it's moot now; he's with Minnesota and he scored a goal in his first game there. Also he played about 16 minutes, so maybe he'll get a chance to bounce back from last season.

Quote:
here is my take on a good fit at left wing.
... Just say "Erik Cole" and be done with it? And I think you know exactly what I'm talking about when I say "off-season", because Cole had one last season. Sure, Cole was on a Cup-winning team in 05-06, but he barely played in the playoffs that season and he hasn't distinguished himself at all in 43 postseason games.

As for what I think he'll do, his career follows a normal progression - he had his big seasons at around the same time most guys do, from age 27 to 29, and that's a few years in his rear-view mirror. He's probably good for about 35-40 points in a full season. His shooting percentage this season is below his career norm, so there might be some bad luck at work. I wouldn't be opposed to having him here as a rental.

Quote:
... If that's true, then Lombardi's dumber than I thought he was.

Old
11-25-2010, 02:02 PM
bland

Nice to see that "one off-season" and Dean Lombardi are blamed for a lifetime's worth of problems in O'Sullivan's head.

Patrick O'Sullivan's inability to deal with his emotional issues are what's keeping him from being a success in this league, and it's damn shame. He needs help, and he needs it away from the spotlight of the NHL.

bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 02:40 PM
stonedhenge

Kopitar looks overweight. He can't skate like he used to. Just look at some of his old clips, how quick his legs were moving back then (like in his rookie season). Now he is just floating all over the ice. Dude has some serious conditioning problem.

stonedhenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 07:13 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:

Dude