HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penalties, why are they such a problem?

Old
11-22-2010, 01:51 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

vCash: 500
Penalties, why are they such a problem?

Flyers are the most penalized team in the league, and as it stands the 3rd best team in the league. So what is it about this team that causes them to get 40 penalties a game? I don't understand why every single player on the roster loves high-sticking others in the mouth and throwin' 'bows every chance they get. We are filled with talent from top to bottom, there is no reason why we should be in so many situations where we have to take a penalty, and even if there is the occasional player we have to cross check in front of the net, we shouldn't be taking 4 a period. Is it the system, the players, the team's reputation, or just bad luck? It's frustration to watch half the game on the PK, what does this team have to do, or not do?

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 02:03 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

1) Briere can learn to keep his friggen' stick on the ice. For a little guy, he sure has his stick up in other players' faces a lot.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 02:11 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Traditionally, the team has also had a really good PK so I think some players use that as a license to play on the edge.

Further, being that this team lives and dies on special teams, maybe they have the inevitable Bettman-mandated make-up call in their subconscious when they commit a penalty.

But, really, they are probably just a bunch of inglourious basterds.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 02:11 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Traditionally, the team has also had a really good PK so I think some players use that as a license to play on the edge.

Further, being that this team lives and dies on special teams, maybe they have the inevitable Bettman-mandated make-up call in their subconscious when they commit a penalty.

But, really, they are probably just a bunch of inglourious basterds.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 02:12 PM
DUHockey9

The high sticks have seem to be a bit out of hand. Can anyone track down JUST high sticking calls, as compared to the rest of the league?

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 02:17 PM
RoDu

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 02:23 PM
chimrichalds18
the key

Agreed that it is annoying. Stupid penalties should be met with a seat on the bench -- we're deep enough to be able to absorb the blow.

Unless we are playing against a very hot goalie (Price last week), we're going to beat any team we play 5-on-5. Once the Flyers learn to stay out of the box, they're not gonna lose many games.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 02:31 PM
CTU2fan

Hartnell gets a ton of rep calls, as many as any player I've watched on a regular basis anyway. Of course Pronger gets away with a ton so you could say it evens out.

They've also had big PIM-number games like the Isles at home that will skew those numbers early in the season.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 04:31 AM
SgtJoseph

5 on 5 we match up well against every team in this league from top to bottom, but when we start getting sloppy with our sticks etc we dig ourselves a big hole.Sometimes i think the reason we score a lot of short handed goals is simply because we are short handed a lot and get a lot of practice at it ? LOL

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 05:28 AM
Spav1789

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
Flyers are the most penalized team in the league, and as it stands the 3rd best team in the league. So what is it about this team that causes them to get 40 penalties a game? I don't understand why every single player on the roster loves high-sticking others in the mouth and throwin' 'bows every chance they get. We are filled with talent from top to bottom, there is no reason why we should be in so many situations where we have to take a penalty, and even if there is the occasional player we have to cross check in front of the net, we shouldn't be taking 4 a period. Is it the system, the players, the team's reputation, or just bad luck? It's frustration to watch half the game on the PK, what does this team have to do, or not do?

I hope this clears a few things up for you

Spav1789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 06:05 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spav1789 View Post

I hope this clears a few things up for you
There you go.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 06:56 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Briere high sticks,
Hartnell boards and such
Carter gets a lot of tripping calls

Every player seems to have a typical penalty

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 08:31 AM
BringBackStevens

I would like to see stats on how many penalties opposition teams average vs the Flyers as well, and see if that is higher than their average.

I dont get to watch that many other NHL games but it does seem like games with the Flyers are more penalty filled affairs than others, including the opposition

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 08:54 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
I would like to see stats on how many penalties opposition teams average vs the Flyers as well, and see if that is higher than their average.

I dont get to watch that many other NHL games but it does seem like games with the Flyers are more penalty filled affairs than others, including the opposition
Well, according to nhl.com, we've had the most PP opportunities of any team (interestingly, we get 4.84 penalties at home, 4.11 on the road). We also have 121 minors, 145 total penalties, and 112 times shorthanded. The next closest team with minors is Anaheim with 103, shorthanded 97 times.

So we take about one more penalty/game than most teams.

Teams (not including us) are averaging about 4 times shorthanded/game. We average 4.55 PP opportunities/game, so I guess games that we play in are more penalty-filled affairs.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 11:12 PM
BernieParent

There's typically at least one point in the game where the Flyers will start to run around in their own end, and you just know that one of the refs' arm will go up soon for a holding / interference / etc. It's like clockwork.

One thing I'm pleased with, though, is that, with Carcillo seeing little ice time, the Flyers are pretty much devoid of divers or embellishers. Players like Leino, Giroux and Briere know how to push the puck in a way that forces the opposition to take penalties.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote