HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Canadian U20 WJC Selection Camp Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-24-2010, 10:01 PM
  #101
RussianHockey96
 
RussianHockey96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 35
vCash: 500
Couturier - Schwartz - Gallagher
Ross - Johansen - Connolly
Howden - Werek - Kassian
Beck - Sheahan - Vey
Ashton

Ellis - Cowen
Gormley - Despres
Olsen - Gudbranson
De Haan

Pickard
Visentin

RussianHockey96 is offline  
Old
11-25-2010, 10:24 AM
  #102
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,580
vCash: 500
Stephane Leroux of rds (qmjhl expert for the last 10-15 years) said this morning on radio that Couturier, Leblanc, Gormley and Roy would be at the wjc camp and almost sure of making the team unless they had a bad camp and played themselve out of the team. from his sources at hockey canada

JeromeHP is offline  
Old
11-25-2010, 10:55 AM
  #103
TinordiandSubban
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,401
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdeal View Post
Is it possible that with him making his NHL team and not getting picked up merely because of a bonus dispute that he's lacking motivation in the juniors?
He's got to be dissapointed, especially as he showed enough in pre-season to make the NHL.

TinordiandSubban is offline  
Old
11-25-2010, 11:33 AM
  #104
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhldraftvideo View Post
Stephane Leroux of rds (qmjhl expert for the last 10-15 years) said this morning on radio that Couturier, Leblanc, Gormley and Roy would be at the wjc camp and almost sure of making the team unless they had a bad camp and played themselve out of the team. from his sources at hockey canada
This jives well with the consensus. It will be most interesting to see if others like Despres or Bournival are in the camp, at least.

I also must be seeing Roy the wrong times when I do (rarely) see him. I don't like him as a lock for making the team, anyway. Lock to be in camp, sure. But I hope either a) he's not the best that Canada has (else we're in trouble), or b) he really is better than what I see.

Blind Gardien is offline  
Old
11-25-2010, 11:44 AM
  #105
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts View Post
My Team

Goalies:

Pickard
Visentin

Defense:

Cowen - Ellis
Gudbranson - Gormley
de Haan - Despres
Beukeboom

Forwards:

Eakin - Schenn - Glennie
Ross - Johansen - Connolly
Howden - Hishon - Leblanc
Couturier - Cizikas - Kassian
Nugent Hopkins

if schenn isnt there then schwartz or werek
This is pretty close to what I'd see too. I would see Glennie as being in trouble... if Ashton is already mentioned by the coach, I would be tempted to replace Glennie with Ashton up there.

The more I read, the more I'd just have Schwartz in there straight away. I don't have a good feel for Ross's overall game. But with physicality already present in guys like Kassian and Howden there, Cizikas can provide a spark too, and Ross would therefore be the other one I'd be most likely to switch out for Schwartz. I know the "agitator role" has almost become entrenched lately, but I'm not sure that it has always helped the team. Downie was good, Della Rovere had some issues, say. I guess I'm just not familiar enough with Ross to know if he can tone down when needed, or just how strong the rest of his game is.

Visentin is the guy who I think has turned himself into the best goalie for the team too. Pickard and Roy have been considered almost shoo-ins for so long, but I just think Visentin is better now than they are. (I'm also a Stajcer fan, but acknowledge he probably doesn't have the pedigree to unseat the incumbent camp selections, alas).

Olsen ahead of Beukeboom on D.

I desire to see Murphy in there on D too, but he'd have to figure out a way to beat somebody out, not sure who, just whoever plays worst in camp out of the 7 guys ahead of him, I guess.

Blind Gardien is offline  
Old
11-25-2010, 12:33 PM
  #106
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
This jives well with the consensus. It will be most interesting to see if others like Despres or Bournival are in the camp, at least.

I also must be seeing Roy the wrong times when I do (rarely) see him. I don't like him as a lock for making the team, anyway. Lock to be in camp, sure. But I hope either a) he's not the best that Canada has (else we're in trouble), or b) he really is better than what I see.
Roy can be really good..not sure what happen at the subway series. i think the fact he's a 91s and was at camp last year will play a big factor in having him on the team. Not sure hockey canada would be confortable going to buffalo with two 92 born in net.

I have nothing else better to do today so here my prediction for the team. i went with a 8def-12forward lineup like they did 2 years ago in Ellis first year with the wjc team. because their someone in Kitchener i want on this team badly...only for the PP.

Goalie
Olivier Roy
Mark Visentin

defensemen
Ryan Ellis
Jared Cowen
Calvin Da Haan
Brandon Gormley
Erik Gudbransson
Simon Despres
Dylan Olsen
Ryan Murphy

Forward line
Cody Eakin-Sean Couturier-Louis Leblanc
Joey Hishon-Ryan Johansen-Brett Connoly
Ryan Howse- Brayden Schenn*-Scott Glennie
Curtis Hamilton-Casey Cizikas-Zack Kassian

*if Schenn is not send down that spot will probably go on of Jaden Schwartz of colorado college, Linden Vey of Medicine Hat or Michael Bournival of Shawinigan

whl: 7 players
ohl: 8 players
qmjhl: 5 players
ncaa: 1 players
nhl: 1 players

JeromeHP is offline  
Old
11-25-2010, 12:45 PM
  #107
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored
 
notloilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
This is pretty close to what I'd see too. I would see Glennie as being in trouble... if Ashton is already mentioned by the coach, I would be tempted to replace Glennie with Ashton up there.

The more I read, the more I'd just have Schwartz in there straight away. I don't have a good feel for Ross's overall game. But with physicality already present in guys like Kassian and Howden there, Cizikas can provide a spark too, and Ross would therefore be the other one I'd be most likely to switch out for Schwartz. I know the "agitator role" has almost become entrenched lately, but I'm not sure that it has always helped the team. Downie was good, Della Rovere had some issues, say. I guess I'm just not familiar enough with Ross to know if he can tone down when needed, or just how strong the rest of his game is.

Visentin is the guy who I think has turned himself into the best goalie for the team too. Pickard and Roy have been considered almost shoo-ins for so long, but I just think Visentin is better now than they are. (I'm also a Stajcer fan, but acknowledge he probably doesn't have the pedigree to unseat the incumbent camp selections, alas).

Olsen ahead of Beukeboom on D.

I desire to see Murphy in there on D too, but he'd have to figure out a way to beat somebody out, not sure who, just whoever plays worst in camp out of the 7 guys ahead of him, I guess.
I have Ice Dogs seasons, and I love Visentin... but no, just no. He's sketchy at playing the puck, and goes down way too early. Roy is our guy, he's the most experienced. After last years goaltending, we don't need someone who is easil shaken. Roy this year (with Berube) and Visentin/Pickard next year.

notloilersfan is offline  
Old
11-25-2010, 01:38 PM
  #108
SaskOilers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 36
vCash: 50
Curtis Hamilton could be this years Brandon McMillan minus playing defence.

SaskOilers is offline  
Old
11-25-2010, 02:27 PM
  #109
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
I have Ice Dogs seasons, and I love Visentin... but no, just no. He's sketchy at playing the puck, and goes down way too early. Roy is our guy, he's the most experienced. After last years goaltending, we don't need someone who is easil shaken. Roy this year (with Berube) and Visentin/Pickard next year.
I think this helps illustrate why its such a great thing to have the camps. And not just 1 but two. Ok, granted, I'm not a scout, but even past that I am especially feeble at picking goalies. I do best in my FHLs when I pick those European guys I never heard of just based on hearsay. But still, you can watch 2 or 3 games of a goalie in a year, and they all have hot games and they all have off games, and if the 2 or 3 you land on happen to land one side or the other of the center of their distribution, you can be riding the wrong wave. And on top of that, goalies seem susceptible to getting in those grooves too. I don't know how you pick that, but having a Selection Camp closer to the tourney has to help at least a bit.

I'm going to say that I felt like goaltending ultimately let Canada down last year. Hopefully that's not too controversial, given Allen got pulled. And it had some shaky moments the year before too, although Tokarski stabilized everything in the end.

I'm not feeling super-confident that Canada will have a clear answer out of camp this year either. And worried that the team will need to have one in order to win gold.

Blind Gardien is offline  
Old
11-25-2010, 03:24 PM
  #110
RangerRed
Registered User
 
RangerRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 924
vCash: 500
Cody Eakin - Brayden Schenn - Scott Glennie

Eakin's got wheels, Brayden's got some NHL experience and is a returnee and Glennie's played with Schenn. This should be a workable chemistry experiment.

Brett Connolly - Ryan Johansen - Brad Ross

Thought it's easy to see Ross working better on the third or fourth line because of his style, you're gonna want someone protecting Johansen and Connolly, not to mention doing the pick and shovel work for them. They're a good size and skill combination that should match them up well against any competition.

Zack Kassian - Sean Couturier - Taylor Beck

Kassian and Beck will hit anything that moves and all three of them have some solid offensive upside. With Couturier's two-way skill down the middle, this line could also be employed in a puck possession/shutdown capacity...because honestly, would you try and take the puck from Zack Kassian?

Louis Leblanc - Jaden Schwartz - Devante Smith-Pelly

I look at this and I ask myself, would Smith-Pelly be on this team if Dave Cameron weren't coaching? The answer is probably no, but if it comes down to Smith-Pelly or Cizikas on a checking line, I'm taking the bigger, more bullish Smith-Pelly. Schwartz is a dynamite offensive presence, Leblanc a responsible two-way player and Smith-Pelly is just a bull on the puck.

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

Talent wins out. We learn our lessons from last year when we took Greg Nemisz over Tyler Seguin and we take Nugent-Hopkins along just for the powerplay.

Brandon Gormley - Erik Gudbranson

The slick moving and smart Gormley teams up with the strong, sturdy and mean Gudbranson for the top pairing.

Calvin de Haan - Dylan Olsen

They have some experience playing together from the U-18s in Fargo/Moorhead a couple years ago. de Haan is a smart presence on the puck who can contribute offensively and defensively with his outlet passes. Olsen has some offensive ability but his main contribution is his physical presence

Ryan Ellis - Jared Cowen

You can't really deny either returnee. While there are those who would rather see Murphy in Ellis' place, this will be his third World Junior. He's the PP QB and he ran the most lethal Canadian PP in a long time back in Ottawa in '09. Cowen gets to redeem himself for his godawful performance last year.

Stefan Elliot

The seventh spot is for a powerplay presence. Even with the able hands of Ellis, de Haan and Gormley to run the powerplay, Elliot brings a dynamic to the back end that will make it that much more deadly.

Olivier Roy

Roy is the prohibitive favourite for the starter's job. He's proven himself at the QMJHL and AHL levels. Now he's gotta step up for Team Canada. He's got the skill to do it.

Calvin Pickard

Here it's not as cut and dried as people think. While I like Pickard's skillset and talent, Hockey Canada has shown a preference in recent years for bringing a long a bigger back up goaltender as an insurance policy(Martin Jones, Chet Pickard). Size alone might give Visentin or Kent Simpson a fighting chance here. But I think this job is Calvin's to lose.

RangerRed is offline  
Old
11-25-2010, 03:26 PM
  #111
newfy
Registered User
 
newfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,619
vCash: 500
A lot of people seem to be putting Ross in their line up but there is already a lot of toughness throughout with guys like Gudbranson, Kassian etc.

Just because hes an agitator doesn't mean he'll make it. Canada always brings tough guys but its usually only one guy for that role.

Tootoo, legionne, Downie, Della Rovere etc. were all the agitators and the toughest guys on the team pretty much. Ross is an agitator but he really isnt that tough for a guy who plays his style. Kassian will probably be our guy who goes out there to make the big hit when we need momentum, not Ross.

Just my take anyways, this team is really gritty without Ross, might as well bring an offensive guy like RNH or a defensive specialist like Sheahan instead of Ross

newfy is offline  
Old
11-25-2010, 03:29 PM
  #112
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,034
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
A lot of people seem to be putting Ross in their line up but there is already a lot of toughness throughout with guys like Gudbranson, Kassian etc.

Just because hes an agitator doesn't mean he'll make it. Canada always brings tough guys but its usually only one guy for that role.

Tootoo, legionne, Downie, Della Rovere etc. were all the agitators and the toughest guys on the team pretty much. Ross is an agitator but he really isnt that tough for a guy who plays his style. Kassian will probably be our guy who goes out there to make the big hit when we need momentum, not Ross.

Just my take anyways, this team is really gritty without Ross, might as well bring an offensive guy like RNH or a defensive specialist like Sheahan instead of Ross
Ross would probably benefit a little if the coach were from the dub, not cursing bias here it's just true.

Minister of Offence is offline  
Old
11-25-2010, 03:41 PM
  #113
newfy
Registered User
 
newfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Ross would probably benefit a little if the coach were from the dub, not cursing bias here it's just true.
Yeah but even then would the coach not realize his toughness is a bit overrated? He hardly wins a fight and while I know thats not going to be a problem in the tourney, it does say something about his toughness. We don't need a guy out there mouthing off too other teams that cant even understand them, we need huge hitters not agitators. Kassian will be that guy I think, Ross is no Della Rovere

newfy is offline  
Old
11-25-2010, 03:44 PM
  #114
canucksfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 23,618
vCash: 990
What are the chances of Ryan Howse making the team?

canucksfan is offline  
Old
11-25-2010, 03:57 PM
  #115
nowayguy
Maybe Next Year
 
nowayguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerRed View Post
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

Talent wins out. We learn our lessons from last year when we took Greg Nemisz over Tyler Seguin and we take Nugent-Hopkins along just for the powerplay.
Seguin was one of three best players in the CHL though, Hopkins is not. Why not go with Hishon, who is better offensively at this point and is also more physically mature?

nowayguy is offline  
Old
11-25-2010, 06:10 PM
  #116
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO
 
Valic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,623
vCash: 500
I know, homer cause he's an Oilers prospect, but Curtis Hamilton is playing fantastic and could really fill a bottom 6 spot effectively.

Valic is online now  
Old
11-25-2010, 06:43 PM
  #117
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,034
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
I know, homer cause he's an Oilers prospect, but Curtis Hamilton is playing fantastic and could really fill a bottom 6 spot effectively.
Every guy invited is likely playing fantastic. For the grinders especially a lot will be determined at camp I assume.

Minister of Offence is offline  
Old
11-25-2010, 06:46 PM
  #118
bretzky29ca*
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 997
vCash: 500
Word around Moose Jaw is that Quinton Howden has been told by Hockey Canada brass that he will not be invited to the upcoming selection camp.

bretzky29ca* is offline  
Old
11-25-2010, 08:16 PM
  #119
zaluty
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 479
vCash: 500
I would like to see a Gudbranson-Doherty combo since they play together here in Kingston. They take up a lot of ice but will Doherty even get an invite? I think he deserves one but so do many others.

zaluty is offline  
Old
11-25-2010, 08:20 PM
  #120
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 23,600
vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by bretzky29ca View Post
Word around Moose Jaw is that Quinton Howden has been told by Hockey Canada brass that he will not be invited to the upcoming selection camp.
Pretty surprising.

I have seen him 4 times this year and he has been the Warriors best player on atleast 3 of those occasions.

R S is offline  
Old
11-25-2010, 09:19 PM
  #121
EternallyLeafs
doris
 
EternallyLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Burlington
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,622
vCash: 500
Anyone think Greg McKegg will get an invite?

He is tearing up the O right now.

EternallyLeafs is offline  
Old
11-25-2010, 10:24 PM
  #122
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,034
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyLeafs View Post
Anyone think Greg McKegg will get an invite?

He is tearing up the O right now.
Well, tearing up any of the CHL leagues with numbers has never really been a standalone prerequisite for making the team or getting an invite to camp, especially for non-chippers from the most recent draft. For instance, Mark Stone is tearing up the WHL statistically but was drafted in the 6th round last year, he wasn't even playing in the Super Series despite being top 10 in WHL scoring.

McKegg may get invited, and if he does it means that he was likely playing a pretty mature game infront of scouts, he won't get invited just because he's putting up points in the O. I haven't seen him play,so I wouldnt know.

Minister of Offence is offline  
Old
11-26-2010, 12:49 AM
  #123
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer
 
Jason MacIsaac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,458
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
What has Oliver Roy done this year to make him the sure fire starter for the WJC team? Pickard looks like he is playing the best of all goaltending prospects at the moment.

Jason MacIsaac is offline  
Old
11-26-2010, 07:52 AM
  #124
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bretzky29ca View Post
Word around Moose Jaw is that Quinton Howden has been told by Hockey Canada brass that he will not be invited to the upcoming selection camp.
That would be disappointing to me... I don't watch the WHL much/at all (not until later in the season when Sportsnet games start up, anyway), but in the Super Series I thought Howden was one of the best players. I don't even remember if he was on the scoresheet, but his play just screamed out "pro", he seemed to be the kind of guy who could win the little battles consistently, and be relied on to make the right play, work hard, but stay disciplined.

Blind Gardien is offline  
Old
11-26-2010, 07:55 AM
  #125
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Well, tearing up any of the CHL leagues with numbers has never really been a standalone prerequisite for making the team or getting an invite to camp, especially for non-chippers from the most recent draft. For instance, Mark Stone is tearing up the WHL statistically but was drafted in the 6th round last year, he wasn't even playing in the Super Series despite being top 10 in WHL scoring.

McKegg may get invited, and if he does it means that he was likely playing a pretty mature game infront of scouts, he won't get invited just because he's putting up points in the O. I haven't seen him play,so I wouldnt know.
I could see him getting an invite, it would be a long shot there, but not impossible. And then his odds of sticking on the team would seem astronomical to me. And this is coming from me as a McKegg fan, picked him in the 2nd round of my FHL, I like his instincts a lot. But I think he will have a better chance next year, he needs to work on paying the price more and on his overall tempo. There are others who project into offensive roles on the team who are more developed than he is, IMHO.

Blind Gardien is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:53 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.