HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Canadian U20 WJC Selection Camp Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-26-2010, 08:38 AM
onice

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
....there simply aren't many Q players even in the running this year. Gormley and Despres on D, Couturier up front, outside chance maybe for Bournival or some other surprise guy, Roy in net, outside chance maybe for another Q goalie in camp, and that's it.....
Leblanc sends his regards. Geeze & you're a hab fan.

Old
11-26-2010, 04:59 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Stephane Leroux of RDS wrote on his blog that Leblanc, Gallagher, Bournival, Roy, Despres ,Gormley & Sean Couturier will be at team canada wjc camp

props to Bournival for earning an invitation after not being invited to the summer camp

http://legrandclub.rds.ca/profils/170008/posts/96993

Old
11-26-2010, 07:13 PM
RussianHockey96

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaryshuskies View Post
Well Hall, Seguin, Skinner, Duchene, O'Reilly, E.Kane

Other players are Fowler (USA), Ekman-Larsson (SWE), Paajarvi (SWE), Burmistrov (RUS), Josefson (SWE)*, Palmeiri (USA)*, Leddy (USA)*

*- Have not played 9 NHl games this season, probably will play in WJC.
You can add Jerry D'Amigo and Jeremy Morin to the list of players USA may be without as they are both in the AHL.

Canada doesn't have a single forward returning. I don't know if that's happened before.

Old
11-26-2010, 07:16 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
What has Oliver Roy done this year to make him the sure fire starter for the WJC team? Pickard looks like he is playing the best of all goaltending prospects at the moment.
Bob Mackenzie touched on this last night...he said, before the summer camp, Roy was the #1 guy...since then, he said his season has been solid but not enough to make him the sure pick as the starter...only 4 goalies will be invited to camp, so with the starter likely being one of Pickard or Roy, it seems those are the more likely 2 to battle it out...none of the other goalies are having a good enough year to knock them out of their spots

Visentin has been pretty good so far this year too, so my guess is those 3 are the 3 potential guys to make the team

In the end though, it comes down to how good your camp is, how much they like you, your year to date, playing style, etc.

Keep in mind, Kevin Prendergast, IIRC, was the guy who drafted Olivier Roy, and is now the head scout for Hockey Canada...so he may have a bias towards him as well

Old
11-26-2010, 07:18 PM
RussianHockey96

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
StMary'sHuskies, AlbertaTough,

Thanks guys. Good Lord, is there ever a time when we can send a team at (even close to) full strength?

Anyway, without these players, how do you think Canada will do?

I have heard the team will be offensively challenged?

Are we going to be in tough to win Gold?

I have my tickets for Buffalo and want to see Canada win.

Love some input/opinions.
Imo, I think Canada will win the bronze medal and we are an underdog heading into the tournament to the Americans and Russian's.

The team may be offensively challenged and our most experienced players are on the back end. But, we have great young players going into the tournament like every year and how they perform all depends on the coaching and how quickly they gel together.

Yes, we are going to be in tough to win gold, but that doesn't at all mean we can't. Enjoy the games live

Old
11-26-2010, 07:21 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Every guy invited is likely playing fantastic. For the grinders especially a lot will be determined at camp I assume.
While this is true, Hamilton is not really a true grinder...he can score and is a good playmaker as well...so he can play on basically all 4 lines, which is versatility that Team Canada likes in their players

Keep in mind, he is outproducing guys like Eaken, Connolly, Johansen, etc....so he can bring some decent offense as well

Old
11-26-2010, 07:27 PM
MCI Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
While this is true, Hamilton is not really a true grinder...he can score and is a good playmaker as well...so he can play on basically all 4 lines, which is versatility that Team Canada likes in their players

Keep in mind, he is outproducing guys like Eaken, Connolly, Johansen, etc....so he can bring some decent offense as well
To be fair to Eakin, he's been battling nagging injuries all year long. But, you're right the main thing Hamilton's got going for him is his versatility: he could play on lines 2-4 no problem. I just don't see the Canadian brass going with Hamilton with so many other middle-line guys, most from the '09 draft class to boot, battling alongside of him.

Old
11-26-2010, 07:54 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCI Center View Post
To be fair to Eakin, he's been battling nagging injuries all year long. But, you're right the main thing Hamilton's got going for him is his versatility: he could play on lines 2-4 no problem. I just don't see the Canadian brass going with Hamilton with so many other middle-line guys, most from the '09 draft class to boot, battling alongside of him.
Ya, he definitely has his work cut out for him that's for sure...it will probably come down to whether he finds a way to click with any guys in camp that are close to locks to make the team

Canada has set a precedent to take the oldest, most mature, and most experienced players, so he definitely needs to impress a lot to make the team

However, if he doesn't make it, I'll be more than happy as an Oilers fan if Roy is the starter

Old
11-27-2010, 04:30 AM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Why the lack of support for someone like Louie Domingue? I thought he was having a pretty fantastic season so far. He was on Bob McKenzie's list of potential invites.

If anything, I hope he is the 4th goalie to get the invite along with Roy, Pickard and Visentin.

Old
11-27-2010, 02:41 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable21 View Post
Why the lack of support for someone like Louie Domingue? I thought he was having a pretty fantastic season so far. He was on Bob McKenzie's list of potential invites.

If anything, I hope he is the 4th goalie to get the invite along with Roy, Pickard and Visentin.
He very well could be at the camp

Making the team will be tough with older and more experienced guys at camp, but if he makes it to the camp anything can happen...you have an amazing camp and the scouts like you, you're in!!

Old
11-27-2010, 02:51 PM
Kenny Bania
Thats gold Jerry!

Canada to announce WJC selection camp roster on Monday at 1:00.

http://www.hockeycanada.com/

Old
11-27-2010, 02:55 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable21 View Post

.890 save percentage is exactly blowing anybody away. The Plymouth Whalers goalie Scott Wedgewood is having a really good year and could get an invite. Coach Dave Cameron's goalie in Missisauga JP Anderson is also playing really well.

Old
11-27-2010, 03:25 PM
Bylsmagic

It blows my mind that Canada is so deep on D that Despres isn't a sure-fire top pairing defenseman for this year. Really speaks to the talent level on the back end.

Old
11-27-2010, 03:28 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bylsmagic View Post
It blows my mind that Canada is so deep on D that Despres isn't a sure-fire top pairing defenseman for this year. Really speaks to the talent level on the back end.
To make this team you going to have to stand out quite a bit offensively or defensively...there's gonna be no room at camp for guys who are just steady at both ends. Not saying that is Despres, but just saying defensemen at camp are gonna be held to a high standard.

Old
11-27-2010, 03:58 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
To make this team you going to have to stand out quite a bit offensively or defensively...there's gonna be no room at camp for guys who are just steady at both ends. Not saying that is Despres, but just saying defensemen at camp are gonna be held to a high standard.
I'm not really sure about that. They usually have room for 1 or 2 steady defensemen because they like to have one pure shutdown pair and a couple of dynamic PP weapons. Steady d-men usually fill in the rest, I wouldn't say Scandella last year was a monster offensively or defensively but just steady. Goloubef in 2009 was just a steady guy and Pyett the year before was as well. They usually leave one or two spots for these types.

Old
11-27-2010, 04:17 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
I'm not really sure about that. They usually have room for 1 or 2 steady defensemen because they like to have one pure shutdown pair and a couple of dynamic PP weapons. Steady d-men usually fill in the rest, I wouldn't say Scandella last year was a monster offensively or defensively but just steady. Goloubef in 2009 was just a steady guy and Pyett the year before was as well. They usually leave one or two spots for these types.
This defense is going to be quite a bit tougher to make I think.

Old
11-27-2010, 04:28 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
This defense is going to be quite a bit tougher to make I think.
I agree 100%.

The defense of this team will absolutely be the strongest point.

Old
11-27-2010, 04:30 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
.890 save percentage is exactly blowing anybody away. The Plymouth Whalers goalie Scott Wedgewood is having a really good year and could get an invite. Coach Dave Cameron's goalie in Missisauga JP Anderson is also playing really well.
Imo, seems like Wedgewood is clearly on the outside looking in...with potentially 6 guys ahead of him, including JP, I doubt he gets one of the top 4 spots

My guess is JP Anderson, Calvin Pickard, Olivier Roy, and Mark Visentin will be the 4 goalies named tomorrow for the camp

Old
11-27-2010, 04:39 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
Imo, seems like Wedgewood is clearly on the outside looking in...with potentially 6 guys ahead of him, including JP, I doubt he gets one of the top 4 spots

My guess is JP Anderson, Calvin Pickard, Olivier Roy, and Mark Visentin will be the 4 goalies named tomorrow for the camp
Four good choices but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if Wedgewood gets an invite. The fact that Anderson plays for Cameron should help him but Wedgewood could even beat out Visentin, it's my personal opinion Wedgewood's the better goalie, he has better numbers this year by a very slim margin and Wedgewood absolutely stood on his head when he got in against Windsor in a high pressure situation in the playoffs last year.

Old
11-27-2010, 04:41 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
I agree 100%.

Not just the Defence, but team defence too. Look at guys like Schenn, Johansen and Leblanc, all very strong defensively. If the goalie gets hot, this will be a tough team to score on.

Old
11-27-2010, 04:54 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
I agree 100%.

Someone like Hamonic last year would be in real tough to make this years team and he was considered a go-to defensemen last year.

Old
11-27-2010, 04:57 PM
N O T O R I O U S
╱█████★█████╲

vCash: 227
I can't wait for it honestly it's always entertaining to watch the WJC especially when they play against the US or Russia.

Old
11-27-2010, 05:13 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bylsmagic View Post
Honestly, I just have a feeling that Despres will not only make the team, but will play a bigger role than a lot of people may think. I don't there's a defenseman on the team that combines his level of skating, size, and ability to move the puck & create offense. I'll be very surprised if he isn't on the final roster.

Old
11-28-2010, 12:45 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

I know points arent everything but Im hoping Brendan Ranford atleast gets a look at. In the whole CHL, he is 4th in scoring and leads the WHL in goals (and tied in 1st for most goals in the CHL). The guy has looked pretty good for the Blazers. (and he turned 18 last May)

Old
11-28-2010, 12:58 AM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Brendan Gormley hurt his right knee againts the MAINEiacs and could be out for a long time. nothing confirmed but doesnt look good for the wjc

Closed Thread