HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Our power play

Old
11-24-2010, 08:29 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
It would comfort me more then Stralman.
Reminds me of the old Gong Show, when, after an act, host Chuck Barris would say something like "Hey, I liked that act. But then again, I like rope burns."

Old
11-24-2010, 08:49 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
It would comfort me more then Stralman.

Different problems: Rusty panics when pressured, Stralman can't keep the puck in. Not too fond of either on the point, at the moment. Both have their strengths, but Rusty never seems suited for this role and Stralman seems to have regressed, since last season, in his PP point skills.

pete goegan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 12:35 PM
blahblah

I was mainly joking, Pete, to express my annoyance with Stralman.

I don't have much of a desire to see Rusty on the PP. Or Commie. Or Tyutin. Or Methot. Or Hejda. Or Stralman.

I think I'm running out of options....

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 12:40 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:

I don't have much of a desire to see Rusty on the PP. Or Commie. Or Tyutin. Or Methot. Or Hejda. Or Stralman.

Stinger?
Mike Todd?
Fro?

Double-Shift Lassť is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 12:46 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Stinger?
Mike Todd?
Fro?
i can skate forward, but not stop or turn...so i'm barely better than strahlman

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 12:46 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Stinger?
Mike Todd?
Fro?
Obviously, we all agree that we're none too pleased with our options on the point (especially when Fro looks like the best of that bunch!).

pete goegan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 12:52 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

i'm really feeling the love

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 02:30 PM
Doug19

vCash: 50
Stralman can at least keep the puck in the offensive zone, that has hand eye coordination on the point has never been a strong suit of Klesla's, so despite the fact that I don't like Stralman all that much, I am still more comfortable with him on the point, although he does take a decent amount of obstruction penalties when a forward pressures him, so that makes it a little more in the favor of Klesla.

Doug19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 02:32 PM
Doug19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimReeper View Post
Concidering that it was Umberger who led our team in PP goals in 08-09 with 9..and was 2nd in 09-10 with 8 i'd hardly say he wasn't up to the task.. Fact is we just haven't been gaining the zone and getting good looks at goal for him to do his part.

It's actually been Brassard struggling on the point to gain or mantain the zone that I've noticed.

Why would anyone suggest putting Nash there? Umberger is our best player for that position so the line combos of 3 weenies out there don't work.

Filatov hasn't exactly been lighting it up either and you want to put him on the top PP? We're turning the quarter pole and he's without a goal! "But he's going to come around and be smething truely great" He's going to be a healthy scratch when Juice comes back.
For all the things that Umberger does great being in front of the net isn't one of him. He misses more shots than he should from in close like that, he has a real problem with getting the puck off the ice from close range there, that other players such as the Holmstrom and Franzen have no problem with.

Old
11-24-2010, 04:51 PM
thisisbright

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Obviously, we all agree that we're none too pleased with our options on the point (especially when Fro looks like the best of that bunch!).
Ditto. I agree about the puckhandling -- I was just saying that Klesla has a rocket of a slapshot, but that it usually misses the net... which quite often ends up ricocheting around the boards and out of the zone. lol

thisisbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 07:06 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Reviving this thread because things used to be working. They're not anymore. We could be first in the West right now with a decent power play.

Anybody have any candidates for improvements? I'm thinking "accurate cannon from the point" is the chief missing component (compensating for the lack of same is not doing us any favors), but insights are welcome.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 07:12 PM
Robert
BOB

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Reviving this thread because things used to be working. They're not anymore. We could be first in the West right now with a decent power play.

Anybody have any candidates for improvements? I'm thinking "accurate cannon from the point" is the chief missing component (compensating for the lack of same is not doing us any favors), but insights are welcome.
The honest answer, bring up Holden for a tryout on the point-sit Stralman. At least Russell can skate even if he's a rag doll on the boards.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 07:13 PM
hip check
Go North.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post

I agree, I think the power play suffers the most because they can't get a good shot through most times. Can't judge the forwards in front of the net without getting some shots for rebounds and/or tip ins. Other things need to be worked on like maintaining the puck under pressure and a quicker set up. But with a better shot from the point the power play should look much more improved.

hip check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 07:18 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hip check View Post
I agree, I think the power play suffers the most because they can't get a good shot through most times. Can't judge the forwards in front of the net without getting some shots for rebounds and/or tip ins. Other things need to be worked on like maintaining the puck under pressure and a quicker set up. But with a better shot from the point the power play should look much more improved.
Getting the blueline has been the achiles heel. Agree with making bad decisions when pressured which must be the book on the Jackets. Once they are pressured the puck usually leaves the zone.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 07:20 PM
The Four Seven
Boone Jenner

I don't really know who to get, but something absolutely MUST be done. The players we have aren't suddenly going to "get it". Gotta make an addition. If it involves trading certain prospects/picks, then do it.

The Four Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 07:30 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Quote:
Originally Posted by hip check View Post
We've had okay setups against most other teams; Detroit's just more aggressive than most against that sort of thing. (They've played this puck-possession thing much longer than we have, and consequently are significantly better at it. C'est la vie.)

I'm more concerned about where we'd find such a guy and how to get. Bieksa comes to mind, only I'm not sure how accurate he is.

Old
11-28-2010, 10:36 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

May be crazy, but I think we should try Filly on the point for our PP.

CBJBrassard16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 11:13 PM
Doug19

Playing Nikki on the point is not a good idea at all. The way he coughs up the puck is not a good trait for a guy on the point, however I'm curious as to why Arniel has gotten away from the Umbrella style power play. Put Nikki along the wall ready for the one timer, have a shooter (Stralman) up high, and another forward (Nash) on the half board with Umberger in front and another guy playing behind the net and in the slot.

Old
11-29-2010, 02:54 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Our PP is static without suprising pass.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 08:12 AM
blahblah

Yeah the PP is really ugly right now. They got frustrated and just started flinging it toward the net. Puck pursuit is horrible and they are way to lazy on puck retrieval when it's leaving our zone.

We don't know how to attack a collapsing box. Filatov and Johansen were doing it well during the preseason.

Teams are taking away that diagonal back door pass. Too many inaccurate shots when entering the zone. Puck ends up leaving the zone without the other team doing a thing. It's just a mess.

I don't like Brass on the point. I'd get him down low, he seems to know what to do in tight.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 08:46 AM
Matt

He shoots... wide right, he shoots... wide left, he shoots.... high off the glass, he shoots..... it's blocked, the rebound ...... didn't have his stick on the ice. the rebound...... nobody there in front. cross ice pass..... nobody there. he passes to ..... and it jumps over his stick. Pure ineptitude.

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 12:01 PM
Robert
BOB

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
He shoots... wide right, he shoots... wide left, he shoots.... high off the glass, he shoots..... it's blocked, the rebound ...... didn't have his stick on the ice. the rebound...... nobody there in front. cross ice pass..... nobody there. he passes to ..... and it jumps over his stick.

That sums it up; we need to get a PP quarterback one way or another and improve our PP skill. We will win games without an effective PP but at some point it will catch up and this weekend was an example. The last two games reminded me of the playoff series vs. Detroit; we played a bit better than back then but not much.

We are still a good team though and must push through this two game losing streak. Gotta win the next one.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 12:17 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
That sums it up; we need to get a PP quarterback one way or another and improve our PP skill. We will win games without an effective PP but at some point it will catch up and this weekend was an example. The last two games reminded me of the playoff series vs. Detroit; we played a bit better than back then but not much.

We are still a good team though and must push through this two game losing streak. Gotta win the next one.
...which is against Nashville.

It probably says something about how we're doing (and how they're doing) that that doesn't seriously worry me like it used to.

<--- overconfident homer

Old
11-29-2010, 12:58 PM
frito

Quote:
Puck pursuit is horrible and they are way to lazy on puck retrieval when it's leaving our zone.
This. I was livid to the point of wanting to throw something through my TV last night wehn Zetterburg skated the puck out of the zone, one on four and nobody, I mean NOBODY challenged him until Nash finally looked like he had had enough and skated cross ice to check him after he entered our zone. I mean, COME ON ALREADY, we're on a 5 on 3 and giving them all the time and space they want. If a RW gets clsoe to the puck during that PP there should be 2 CBJ on him POST HASTE.

Even though it's a power play and there should be a little time spent to set it up, it needs to be played with urgency. There was no urgency in the PP last night. The urgency seems to exist in all other facets of our game right now, just not on the PP. Until there is urgency on the PP it will be doomed to failure.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 06:45 PM
FANonymous

I have to question if the team's defeatist mentality has seeped into their play on the power play. They looked not only disorganized and inept out there, but completely uninterested. Just a bunch of guys standing around while the two defensemen switch sides occasionally.

We know that they had thoughts in the past about how they weren't "good enough" to beat team X or team Y. Perhaps now they think they're good enough to win games, but not good enough to pot a PP goal, except for a lucky bounce here or there. A big shot from the point would help out a lot though...

FANonymous is offline   Reply With Quote