HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Our power play

Old
12-01-2010, 03:35 PM
blahblah

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJCougar View Post
As I do yours, even when I'm lacking insight or blinded by maternal rage when they are picking on the baby. Thanks, Blah
lol, that's win in a bottle.

Quote:
And, BTW, I don't think Methot is a #1 D-Man either but he is playing with Klesla who, like gravy, makes everything better. Ask Hejda.
What's kind of funny was that I heard a couple of years back was other defensemen found Klesla kind of hard to play with.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 03:46 PM
Raymones

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
You act as if some of these things are not true. Nash is streaky. Don't believe me though. Ask...Rick Nash. Huselius does make a lot of cash. Arguably more than he's worth since, as you point out, we're 4th in the Conference and much of our success has been without Kristian Huselius. Voracek can't bury his chances--if you need some video evidence, there is plenty to choose from the last week. Everything you've stated about Kris Russell is true. Commodore is overpaid.
I'm fully aware that most of those have an ounce of truth to them, that's why I used them. That's a big part of the point I'm trying to make. I'll try to make my thoughts clearer:

We all know all players have strenghts and weaknesses, and some are streaky. Most players have slumps, the special teams go through ups and downs. It's a part of the world of sports and nothing unique for the Jackets. Very few players, especially when young, are able to be consistent on such a high level. Very few players excell in all parts of the game. We know Tyutin will cough some pucks up, Mason will let in a softie, Nash will have slumps, Strĺlman or Russell will get outbattled and so on.. You won't be able to ice a team with players that don't have weaknesses or make mistakes. No team can. Watch Vancouver or Detroit or Chicago and you will find players with the same weaknesses.

Still, with all this knowledge, when someone is having a slump, someone gets outworked or the special teams are not clicking, some people seem very surprised, and someone has to be blamed. There just are no patience and absolutely nothing in between black and white. And the grass always seems to be greener on the other side..
Hockey is a team sport, and minimizing mistakes are a big part of it. But working as a team is what wins games, and that is what is the most important. This team does.
I can watch Tyutin making turnovers all year, if the team keeps winning. I don't care if the PP is 28th if the team is winning.

To sum it up. Yeah, most players have weaknesses, but your d-men are not nearly as bad as some point them out to be. If they were, the team wouldn't rank 4th or have the best GAA of all Western Conference Teams. Be proud of what your team has done so far and enjoy the ride fellas...

Quote:
As for the Leafs fans, given the results they've had over the last decade, I think they have a good reason to complain.
I agree, their fanbase really deserves better, they're really passionate. As is yours. I just fail to see how booing the players and driving them out of town would benefit the team. Looking at the results the last couple of years, I'd say it didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
Just because Stralman is your favorite player doesn't mean he doesn't suck. If you have honestly watched Stralman and thought that he was good at any point this year after game 2 then please point it out. Last year is looking like he overachieved on the power play. If he isn't putting up PP numbers why is he on the team? He isn't good defensively, he hasn't been a good passer, he certainly isn't a good skater, and he isn't strong on the puck. Please tell me one good thing that Stralman does consistently on the ice and I will lay off of him.
I really think you should ask the coaching staff that question, as they are the ones giving him most TOI of all players. They have no obligation to play him if he is useless.
However, I'm confident they are able to better judge a certain player's contribution better then you, and me.

I don't need you to lay off of him, you are entitled to your opinion. I'll just like to add that: Strĺlman must be the master of fooling coaches as he is managing to steal 21 minutes a game while being a bad skater, bad passer, bad defensively and weak on the puck..

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
Tyutin is a turnover machine but Howson doesn't have anyone to replace him just yet.
Russell is too small and I think most are hoping as he matures he can become a solid 3-4 guy.
Stralman is an enigma. He definitely showed flashes when he first arrived. What happened?

Klesla is tough, but isn't much of a skater and has had a number of lost games the last few years due to injuries.
Hejda is mostly solid, but not the puck mover the team needs.
Methot is doing great.
Commodore is a pylon, was a special request of the last coach and the highest paid d-man, if they could trade him they would.

Mason is inconsistent, is young and needs time.
Nash is streaky and not a vocal leader. I think he would benefit if someone like Umberger was the captain. Unfortunately, they can't embarass him by taking the C away.
Vermette is doing well defensively, but struggling on offense.
Brassard had a slow start. I'm beginning to wonder if Nash makes his centers stats look better.
Huselius would be traded if they could get it done.He is not good defensively and has a bad contract.
Voracek is certainly struggling to bury his chances.
Arniel is a helluva coach if he can figure out how to turn Filatov into the star eeryone thinks he will become.
The team has no #1 center, #1 d-man or #1 goalie, yet.
I agree with many of these points leek, I just wasn't clear enough with my previous post. The thing is this team is winning despite players weaknesses and a struggling PP. Just imagine what the Blue Jackets will be capable of when everything works!!

Last edited by Raymones: 12-01-2010 at 03:52 PM.
Raymones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 03:46 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
lol, that's win in a bottle.

What's kind of funny was that I heard a couple of years back was other defensemen found Klesla kind of hard to play with.
I can see that. He's totally old school. Protect the goalie at all costs. He has a hammer shot and his English is a little soft. I can see communication being an issue. I like old school though. Simple. True. Solid. Nothing fancy that will fade with age. Just my preference. Every time I see him stand up like a brick wall and dump someone on their ass to clear the goal, inside I whisper...yesss.

Liars will dazzle you with BS and pretenders will momentarily capture the attention. When push comes to shove, your foundation needs to be solid or all you've done is build a house of cards. I want that 97 part of any foundation that houses Blue Jackets.

CBJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 07:09 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Alright, I've defended Stralman long enough. He sucks. I'm posting this just as he took a bad penalty in the 2nd period on our power play.
Bring up Holden, I don't care. Stralman's gotta go.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 02:56 AM
Doug19

Why even try to defend him? He's been terrible all year, and last night was just the same ole, same ole. Like I said, if he didn't have a right handed shot he would have been thrown from the power-play a long time ago, that was the only thing that could have possibly been saving his ass. I don't ***** about phantom issues most of the time.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 06:38 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

To Huselius return:

Umberger--Brassard--Nash--Stralman--Methot/Commodore
Filatov--Vermette--Voráček--Russell--Ťjutin

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 07:13 AM
CBJCougar

I don't think our PP would score higher than 5 on Dancing With The Stars. And I'm giving them five for smelling good.

CBJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 12:46 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
Alright, I've defended Stralman long enough. He sucks. I'm posting this just as he took a bad penalty in the 2nd period on our power play.
Bring up Holden, I don't care. Stralman's gotta go.
Binary-state thinking is generally bad.

I'm a bit surprised folks are thinking of me as trying to "defend" Stralman. The guy's driving me crazy too. It just looks from here like too many folks have a tendency to overreact to this stuff.

Is Stralman doing poorly now? Good G-d yes; no debate whatsoever. Is that a permanent state of affairs? I sure hope not. Is that any reason to start preparing to run him out of town? I don't think so. Bench him, yes, but let's hold off for the time being on gathering the torches and pitchforks, 'kay?

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 12:48 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Bench him, yes, but let's hold off for the time being on gathering the torches and pitchforks, 'kay?
In fairness, I believe this is what most are suggesting.

Stralman's struggling. He's playing badly. It's not like there aren't options. Bench him, bring in Holden or whomever and hope the break sets his head right.

Old
12-03-2010, 12:53 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Bench him, yes, but let's hold off for the time being on gathering the torches and pitchforks, 'kay?
But I live for storming the castle with my torch and pitchfork!

I'm afraid it's going to take a lot of solid play to change my impression that he needs another job in another city. It (solid play or moving on) could happen, but I'm not seeing any sign of it.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 02:08 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
But I live for storming the castle with my torch and pitchfork!

I'm afraid it's going to take a lot of solid play to change my impression that he needs another job in another city. It (solid play or moving on) could happen, but I'm not seeing any sign of it.
Fair enough.

(And I prefer pouring boiling oil on disobedient peasantry, myself. Let them eat cake and sign Anson Carter! )

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 03:29 PM
kshymkiw

Send a message via AIM to kshymkiw
Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
Tyutin is a turnover machine but Howson doesn't have anyone to replace him just yet.
Russell is too small and I think most are hoping as he matures he can become a solid 3-4 guy.
Stralman is an enigma. He definitely showed flashes when he first arrived. What happened?

Klesla is tough, but isn't much of a skater and has had a number of lost games the last few years due to injuries.
Hejda is mostly solid, but not the puck mover the team needs.
Methot is doing great.
Commodore is a pylon, was a special request of the last coach and the highest paid d-man, if they could trade him they would.

Mason is inconsistent, is young and needs time.
Nash is streaky and not a vocal leader. I think he would benefit if someone like Umberger was the captain. Unfortunately, they can't embarass him by taking the C away.
Vermette is doing well defensively, but struggling on offense.
Brassard had a slow start. I'm beginning to wonder if Nash makes his centers stats look better.
Huselius would be traded if they could get it done.He is not good defensively and has a bad contract.
Voracek is certainly struggling to bury his chances.
Arniel is a helluva coach if he can figure out how to turn Filatov into the star eeryone thinks he will become.
The team has no #1 center, #1 d-man or #1 goalie, yet.
We just went over the part in bold the other day in another thread. Tyutin is well below average for the league. In fact he is 95th in the league.

kshymkiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 08:56 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Tyutin's latest turnover caused a breakaway and injured Garon. Impressive. He's the Brett Favre of the Jackets when it comes to passes intercepted.
He finds new ways to suck everyday.

Old
12-03-2010, 09:36 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
In fairness, I believe this is what most are suggesting.

Stralman's struggling. He's playing badly. It's not like there aren't options. Bench him, bring in Holden or whomever and hope the break sets his head right.
Send him to the minors and hope someone takes him on waivers.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 04:07 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Send him to the minors and hope someone takes him on waivers.

Did we play PP?

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 08:03 AM
Matt

this team could play a 5 on 0 and still not get a shot on goal much less score

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 02:14 PM
FlaggerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
Why even try to defend him? He's been terrible all year, and last night was just the same ole, same ole. Like I said, if he didn't have a right handed shot he would have been thrown from the power-play a long time ago, that was the only thing that could have possibly been saving his ass. I don't ***** about phantom issues most of the time.
To get a turnover and possible shorty or get a penalty which ends the Columbus power play. Both seem viable strategies to me.

FlaggerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 08:20 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Worst power play in the league, but is it the worst PP in Jackets history??

Complete and utter disgrace.

Old
12-09-2010, 08:41 PM
thisisbright

I wish we could decline penalties, sorta like in football... be all like, "Nah, we don't really want a power play. We'll take $10 and a face-off in your zone instead."

thisisbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 08:47 PM
MFRONE

Quote:
Worst power play in the league, but is it the worst PP in Jackets history??

Complete and utter disgrace.
Florida still has a worse a PP

MFRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 08:52 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFRONE View Post
Florida still has a worse a PP
Statistically yes, but it's hard to imagine a worse unit than what I'm seeing tonight.
Won't be long before we're at the bottom. I'm confident the boys can get there.

Old
12-09-2010, 09:43 PM
Happy Pony

Quote:
Statistically yes, but it's hard to imagine a worse unit than what I'm seeing tonight.
Won't be long before we're at the bottom. I'm confident the boys can get there.
At this point it's a matter of when, not if.

Happy Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 11:11 PM
FANonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisbright View Post
I wish we could decline penalties, sorta like in football... be all like, "Nah, we don't really want a power play. We'll take $10 and a face-off in your zone instead."
Now this idea has some merit. Everytime someone commits a penalty against us, all the guys from the other team on the ice have to buy 5 game CBJ packages. Our financial woes would be over!

FANonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 11:49 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Speaking of Voracek, I have resisted many posts about his short comings this season but I'm close to ending that stance. He has missed to many open nets, had he been on the mark last Friday we win that game and a share of the division right now. If Filatov can be the focus every game I'd say it's time Jake gets a look as well.
That's what I said back in the Filatov thread, and got lambasted.

Is Filatov playing worse than Jake? Yes, but I can't see why Brassard and Filatov are constantly being demoted while Jake is seen as precious. Jake's causing too many turn overs in the offensive end and is missing too many rebound / open net opportunities.

As for the Jackets' PP, it's as follows:
Pass - Pass - Pass - Intercepted - Chase after puck....
Pass - Pass - Pass - Pass - Shot! - Shot blocked - Chase after puck...

Our problem, I think, is our players. They're too small to carry the puck by themselves or cause havoc in front of the net, but are too slow to wow anyone with skill. We're small AND slow! Obviously there are exceptions like Russell and Umberger, but they're too few. Oh, and we apparently need to take part in a clinic on how to pass the puck. Too many chippy receptions that lead to turnovers.

Crede777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 12:27 AM
Pata93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
That's what I said back in the Filatov thread, and got lambasted.

Is Filatov playing worse than Jake? Yes, but I can't see why Brassard and Filatov are constantly being demoted while Jake is seen as precious. Jake's causing too many turn overs in the offensive end and is missing too many rebound / open net opportunities.

As for the Jackets' PP, it's as follows:
Pass - Pass - Pass - Intercepted - Chase after puck....
Pass - Pass - Pass - Pass - Shot! - Shot blocked - Chase after puck...

Our problem, I think, is our players. They're too small to carry the puck by themselves or cause havoc in front of the net, but are too slow to wow anyone with skill. We're small AND slow! Obviously there are exceptions like Russell and Umberger, but they're too few. Oh, and we apparently need to take part in a clinic on how to pass the puck. Too many chippy receptions that lead to turnovers.
Jake is not signed, still young, and seems to have a free pass. He is more established than other youngster on the team and... consequently have a better trade value?

Look I am a huge Jake fan but he sucks since the beginning of the season and certainly doesnt impress me at all so far. I see two options. Or they believe he'll convert those chances soon and see positive things I don't or they want to show him to trade him.

Pata93 is offline   Reply With Quote