HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks recall F Jeff Tambellini

Old
11-23-2010, 01:20 PM
crazycanuck

vCash: 500

reidder: As already reported, expected lines: Sedins-Burr/ Raymond-Kes-Tamby/ Torres-Malhotra-Samuelsson/ Glass-Perrault-Hansen. Ballard back, Lui in

crazycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:22 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

I believe just one or two more games with the Canucks and Jeff will have to clear waivers to be sent back down.

Risky if this is just a temporary message to Sammy, Burrows or Raymond.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:26 PM
GJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Dufresne View Post
He should be on the wing with the Sedins. For the simple reason that he outplayed every other winger who's been given that chance, by a wide margin, this year. That's how I see him helping the Canucks.
I disagree if that is the move they make. You have to plan for long-term solutions and I don't see Tambellini being in the top 6 come playoff time.

While Samuelsson has struggled no doubt, he has still put up 13 pts in 20 games. Tambo has never averaged that pace out over any of his NHL stints. Burrows is only 10 games back from a relatively major injury, he needs time. If Burrows and Sammy are going to get their games back and work the kinks out then the time is now to work through it.

Placing Tambo into the top 6 right now is a bandaid solution at best and one that could hinder Sammy and Burrows getting back to last year's form.

GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:26 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJB View Post
Am I the only one who can't see how Tambellini is going to help us right now?

We already have Burrows, Samuelsson, and Raymond on the top wing spots that Tambellini would fit into best. Putting Tambellini in the top 6 doesn't help this team.

He isn't going to be a better PK'er than Schaefer.

He isn't going to provide size, make some hits or have a fight like Oreskovich.

He isn't suited for a bottom 6 position.

He will not suddenly become a bonafide NHL top 6'er and replace Samuelsson, Burrows etc...
Well, admittedly, I'm not the biggest Tambellini fan, but I can see the point in bringing him up.

Like other posters have stated, it puts pressure on the top 6-9, they need to produce, more importantly, they need to compete.

While I may not be a fan of playing Tambellini with the Sedins, he certainly put in the work to succeed with the Sedins. I think Samuelsson is cruising thinking playing with the Sedins means auto-goals. Burrows is clearly rusty, and his confidence is clearly a bit shaky. When Burrows confidence is up, he's all over the ice, being a jerk, getting involved.

I like this move, even if Tambellini starts off with a small role on the fourth line. The team thrives under an internal-competitive atmosphere, we've seen it in the past, with friendly competitions between Burrows and Kesler or Burrows and Samuelsson competing for Sedin time.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:27 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
reidder: As already reported, expected lines: Sedins-Burr/ Raymond-Kes-Tamby/ Torres-Malhotra-Samuelsson/ Glass-Perrault-Hansen. Ballard back, Lui in
Finally; a legitimately deeper line-up...I've been waiting to see Tambellini with Kesler for a while. Though Hansen has tailed off a bit over the last couple of games he'll still vastly improve that 4th line just based on his defensive play. With Kesler, Burrows, Hansen, Malhotra, and Raymond in the line-up I fail to see why Glass continues to get PK time.

Ballard gets his requisite 1-game of the week.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:41 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
Finally; a legitimately deeper line-up...I've been waiting to see Tambellini with Kesler for a while. Though Hansen has tailed off a bit over the last couple of games he'll still vastly improve that 4th line just based on his defensive play. With Kesler, Burrows, Hansen, Malhotra, and Raymond in the line-up I fail to see why Glass continues to get PK time.

Ballard gets his requisite 1-game of the week.
Yeah, since day 1 of pre-season. I still can't believe Jeff Tambellini hasn't skated a single shift with Ryan Kesler after witnessing how effective Grabner could be on that line with his high end speed and shot.

What does Burrows have to do to be taken off the 1st line?

At least the 4th line will be better - though Raffi Torres is the one that should have been demoted IMO. Samuelsson and Torres on the same line could be a real adventure defensively.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:48 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Yeah, since day 1 of pre-season. I still can't believe Jeff Tambellini hasn't skated a single shift with Ryan Kesler after witnessing how effective Grabner could be on that line with his high end speed and shot.
Of course, once Grabner demonstrated that, AV suddenly became determined to play him anywhere except with Kesler and Raymond. If Tambellini looks good with them, I expect to see him on the fourth line (or in the pressbox, or on a plane back to Winnipeg) within a week or two.

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:50 PM
galiano

From Canucks.com :

" looks like tambellini has been called up according to murph

also new lines

New lines should look like this://Daniel-Henrik-Burrows//Raymond-Kesler-Tamby//Torres-Malhotra-Samuelsson//Glass-Perrault-Hansen

http://twitter.com/sportsnetmurph "

I like these lines. More life in the 2nd. A kick in the ass for Samuelson. And Hansen will add lots of energy on the forecheck to the 4th line.

galiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 02:05 PM
MKennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by galiano View Post
From Canucks.com :

also new lines

New lines should look like this://Daniel-Henrik-Burrows//Raymond-Kesler-Tamby//Torres-Malhotra-Samuelsson//Glass-Perrault-Hansen

I like these lines. More life in the 2nd. A kick in the ass for Samuelson. And Hansen will add lots of energy on the forecheck to the 4th line.
This is a very sexy lineup. I don't know why Burrows hasn't been with the Twins all year, stupid move imho. Hansen adds some grit/speed to the 4th. I like it.

MKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 02:05 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard_Lad View Post
Of course, once Grabner demonstrated that, AV suddenly became determined to play him anywhere except with Kesler and Raymond. If Tambellini looks good with them, I expect to see him on the fourth line (or in the pressbox, or on a plane back to Winnipeg) within a week or two.
The crickets are chirping. Why are we talking about Grabner?

Old
11-23-2010, 02:08 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
The crickets are chirping. Why are we talking about Grabner?
Just to be clear, I didn't mean you are a cricket, or chirping. Just meant there's some silence with some background crickets chirping.

Old
11-23-2010, 02:12 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
Just to be clear, I didn't mean you are a cricket, or chirping. Just meant there's some silence with some background crickets chirping.
There's a passive aggressive joke in there somewhere but I'm too slow to figure it out!

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 02:14 PM
petrishriekandgo

So No-Hands-Son gets demoted to the 4th line after being the most consistent player on the 3rd line?

I guess they're looking for scoring from the 3rd line and grit and heart on the 4th. Not sure Sammy will add any scoring to Torres-Malholtra BUT No-Hands-Son will certainly bring grit and heart to the 4th.

petrishriekandgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 02:20 PM
m9

I like how people constantly bring up 'sending a message' to Raymond by demoting him down a line or two or replacing him with Tambellini. The guy is legitimately hurt, and if they demoted him at all they would just scratch him to try to get him healthy.

Also, no way does Sammuelsson make his way down to the 4th line or scratched either. He doesn't seem like the type to tow the company line, and if he was getting 7 minutes a night or benched it would surely create some problems with the team. Not worth it at this point, you have to let him play through it.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 02:26 PM
KDizzle

After having read the new lines, I like the move.

Hansen is a perfect 4th liner. Balls to the walls on every shift, and while he has no hands, he's demonstrated the ability to at least get the puck out of the zone. His even strength TOI will decrease but he'll still see the same PK time and he should be placed on a shutdown line late in the game should we have a slim lead. I wouldn't dare trust Samuelsson in that role.

Tambo is the new Grabner (as we've all said at the beginning of the season), Burrows just needs to get back to finding open seams ice, Sammy could potentially provide more offense to the 3rd line (doubtful), and the 4th line looks solid.

Now.... if only we could fix our D.

KDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 02:27 PM
wholesickcrew

Quote:
From Canucks.com :

also new lines

These were the lines I was hoping for. And on defense, we're looking at...

Quote:
Originally Posted by @sportsnetmurph
I think it will be 3-2, 23-5, 4-41 RT @DBentz234: what should the D-Pairings b then any ideas?
I'm glad we still get to see Ehrhoff and Edler together. Now to get Ballard in the top 4 (not blaming AV here)...

wholesickcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 02:30 PM
Hi-wayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
I agree.

We'll likely see either Tambellini back with the Sedins (though Burrows may start with Tambi ready to step-in if Burrows continues to struggle) with Samuelsson dropped down to play with Torres-Malhotra and Hansen on the fourth line with Perrault and Glass/Rypien.
Actually, I'd rather see:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Tambellini - Kesler - Hansen
Raymond - Maholtra - Samuelsson
Torres - Rypien - Glass

Tambellini replaces Samuelsson's offense on the Kesler line, while Hansen adds gritt and effort.

Maholtra is a speedy playmaker, not a scorer. Raymond should fit well with him defensively plus with Samuelsson on RW, he brings much more offensive skill then did Torres or Hansen.

Torres, Glass & Rypien will be poorer on facesoffs, but tougher to play against.

Hi-wayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 02:35 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-wayman View Post
Actually, I'd rather see:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Tambellini - Kesler - Hansen
Raymond - Maholtra - Samuelsson
Torres - Rypien - Glass

Tambellini replaces Samuelsson's offense on the Kesler line, while Hansen adds gritt and effort.

Maholtra is a speedy playmaker, not a scorer. Raymond should fit well with him defensively plus with Samuelsson on RW, he brings much more offensive skill then did Torres or Hansen.

Torres, Glass & Rypien will be poorer on facesoffs, but tougher to play against.
Even given how awful Samuelsson has been I don't think thats true. He's still headed for 16G 53P.

Hansen brings no offense to a line that desperately needs to produce more AND this breaks up the third line of Torres/Malholtra/Hansen.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 02:38 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
Hansen brings no offense to a line that desperately needs to produce more AND this breaks up the third line of Torres/Malholtra/Hansen.
The third line has been pretty bad for at least 4-5 games now. Not sure that replacing Hansen with Sammy will change that, but the line shouldn't be held exempt from any roster shuffling.

colonel_korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 02:39 PM
Reign Nateo

Hansen should provide a big boost to the 4th line. Someone that can actually skate and win some puck battles.

Dare I say this line-up missed Tambellini? He's not a prototypical NHL player, but he worked hard while he was here, tried to be physical, and when he gets a chance he usually cashes it in. He's got hands and the ability to finish, which should help a snake-bitten line-up.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 02:43 PM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Quote:
From Canucks.com :

also new lines

Looks nice, something needs to be done with the lines. The third lines production did kind of lock all of the system up except the fourth line which didn't get what it needed from above just plugs from below. Now when it has been cold it was the time for this. Second and third line gets a new look and the fourth gets Hansen who is an improvement over Rypien.

Now we just need the D-pairings to make sense.

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 02:48 PM
Hi-wayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
Even given how awful Samuelsson has been I don't think thats true. He's still headed for 16G 53P.

Yes it does break up the third line. Even though the third line contributed to the scoring early on, it should have been noted that that scoring wouldn't last. None of the three are noted for their scoring, at least not consistantly. Maholtra though, is noted for his playmaking and should be just as good at feeding Samuelson and Raymond as Kesler. In the mean time Kesler is Kesler and can bring out Tambellini's skill just as well as he can Samuelsson's. Raymond on the Kesler line has been used mostly as a threat distraction due to his speed. He can still play that role with Maholtra. The only difference between Maholtra and Kesler is that Maholtra lacks Kesler's scoring skills.
Hansen plays a different distraction role than Raymond, but I'd say he can help the Kesler line just as much as Raymond does.

Hi-wayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 02:50 PM
AllByDesign
Thomas who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDizzle View Post
Tambo is the new Grabner (as we've all said at the beginning of the season)
Over on the Islanders side they say the same in reverse... Both teams feel they have an upgrade.

AllByDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 02:58 PM
KDizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllByDesign View Post
Over on the Islanders side they say the same in reverse... Both teams feel they have an upgrade.
It actually works out for both teams, as we're in "win now" mode and the Isles are young and raw. Not that Tambo is the be all end all for this team, but he's more seasoned and provides a more developed game (defensively, getting to the dirty areas, etc.) than Grabner does as of right now.

Grabner, should he keep progressing, probably has a higher ceiling, and is best suited for a young team. But for our team right now, Tambo is a good alternative. Also, still fairly young at 26 (Grabner is 23).

Win win. It's funny how you can analyze this like a trade even though it was such a roundabout way to switch teams.

KDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 03:17 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

sportsnetmurph
Quote:
Tambellini skated with Moose today, packed a bag and left. He's enroute to Vancouver.
about 2 hours ago via ÜberTwitter
Discuss.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote