Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A Little Perspective

Old
02-16-2011, 10:14 AM
JesusNPucks

vCash: 500
A Little Perspective

It's been a while since I've posted on here. Hopefully, I'm not re-posting what someone has already said. I'll keep this brief.

Do you remember this?
2007-2008 Season
Dates: January 29 - February 28
Record: 13-2-0

Dates: March 1 - April 3
Record: 2-8-2

Injuries: S. Zubov, P. Boucher, J. Halpern, M. Ribeiro, etc.
Now, the Stars of late:
2010-2011 Season
Dates: January 2 - January 20
Record: 7-1-0

Dates: January 21 - February 15
Record: 2-7-1

Injuries: B. Richards, J. Benn, N. Grossman, A. Burish, etc.
The Point:
Slumps happen. Injuries happen. Good teams pull out of them. The Stars have done it before, and they can do it again. There's still plenty of time. The fact that they are still in 5th place in the midst of this horrible stretch is amazing in itself. Their great play early on is already paying dividends now while they play their way out of this mess.

Enjoy the rest of the season, everyone!

[NOTE: I posted this on the Stars' Official Message Boards as well.]

JesusNPucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 02:56 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Do you remember this?
2007-2008 Season
Dates: January 29 - February 28
Record: 13-2-0

Dates: March 1 - April 3
Record: 2-8-2

Injuries: S. Zubov, P. Boucher, J. Halpern, M. Ribeiro, etc.
- Zubov missed the last 33 games of the regular season and first 7 games of the playoffs due to a foot injury. Boucher was also injured for quite a long period, playing only 38/82 games. We went 12-2 or something like that in Feb, 2008 with both these players on IR.

- As per TSN, Ribeiro was never injured during that period (Mar 1- Apr 3). He missed a few games in April due to the flu.

- Halpern never played for us after February 26th, 2008.

Sorry, but we played much better against our conference that season and posted solid PK and defensive stats. We're a defensively horrible squad right now.

Quote:
Slumps happen. Injuries happen. Good teams pull out of them. The Stars have done it before, and they can do it again. There's still plenty of time. The fact that they are still in 5th place in the midst of this horrible stretch is amazing in itself. Their great play early on is already paying dividends now while they play their way out of this mess.
True on most counts, but I have to disagree on the part that the Stars are a "good team." Good teams don't start tanking after losing a few players. Just look at Detroit.

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 11:03 PM
JesusNPucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFan74 View Post
- Zubov missed the last 33 games of the regular season and first 7 games of the playoffs due to a foot injury. Boucher was also injured for quite a long period, playing only 38/82 games. We went 12-2 or something like that in Feb, 2008 with both these players on IR.

- As per TSN, Ribeiro was never injured during that period (Mar 1- Apr 3). He missed a few games in April due to the flu.

- Halpern never played for us after February 26th, 2008.

Sorry, but we played much better against our conference that season and posted solid PK and defensive stats. We're a defensively horrible squad right now.

True on most counts, but I have to disagree on the part that the Stars are a "good team." Good teams don't start tanking after losing a few players. Just look at Detroit.
Thanks for the feedback. I actually goofed in my original post by not clarifying that the injuries listed were not necessarily during the time period. In fact, Halpern may not have been injured at all that year.

Nevertheless, I was hoping to focus more on the records during the span and point out that worse streaks have happened before and the Stars overcame.

As for the "good team" cooments, I suppose it's subjective, based on your POV.

Thanks again for the cooments. It keeps me honest in my research. :-)

JesusNPucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 12:25 AM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Oh, I think this team can be good again, and the race being so tight isn't necessarily a bad thing (because there are only a finite amount of points for all the teams in the mix - it's impossible for all of them to continue picking up points every game since they will play each other).

But it's still quite frustrating.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote