HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

We get the green-light from the lenders to buy...

Old
02-10-2011, 12:50 PM
StarsFan74

vCash: 500
We get the green-light from the lenders to buy...

....whom should we go after in the next 18 days? Thoughts?

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 12:57 PM
Ampersand
Dallas Stars Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFan74 View Post
....whom should we go after in the next 18 days? Thoughts?
is this a hypothetical or fo' realz?
Source?

Ampersand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 01:58 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampersand View Post
is this a hypothetical or fo' realz?
Source?
Hypothetical....unfortunately, and sorry if this thread is a repeat. Just want something positive to discuss.

Old
02-10-2011, 02:22 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Campbell. Weber. McCabe. Kaberle. Bogosian. Erik Johnson. Seabrook. Campoli. JM Liles.

Use Ribeiro, Skrastins, Woywitka as roster bait.

And maybe Robidas since I tire of his poor defensive coverage and lack of offense.

Last edited by Frozen Failure: 02-10-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 02:30 PM
Starsdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
Campbell. Weber. McCabe. Kaberle. Bogosian. Erik Johnson. Seabrook. Campoli. JM Liles.
will cost Neal + (at least for Bogo, Seabrook Weber)but i would actually do it

Starsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 02:37 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Let's be realistic about whom we can get at least . Weber, Seabrook, Campbell won't be coming here; especially Weber with the acquisition of Fisher.

Old
02-10-2011, 02:58 PM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:

And maybe Robidas since I tire of his poor defensive coverage and lack of offense.
Campbell and that contract is way to much for Dallas to take on. I would like possibly Pitkanen.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 03:23 PM
stubbadub

Spezza. Ottawa will want a couple firstys or something around Ribeiro (C for C). Send Richards to the Penguins for their first since Geno won't be back. Spezza replaces Richards next year, and Richards becomes the most sought after C in FA next year.

stubbadub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 03:26 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:

Losing Ribeiro hurts if we're trying to win a Cup now. Losing Robidas in a deal for virtually any of those defensemen listed is a virtual lateral move (right now), not to mention it would never happen given the emphasis placed on the character/team/hunger/tough to play against meme that has been the hallmark of everything Joe has done since he got here.

*I'm pretty sure this is a duplicate of another similar thread. And the title is a bit mis-leading.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 03:33 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
If Beauchemin can land Lupul, Gardiner and a conditional 4th (albeit one two seasons from now), surely we'd have to expect more if Robi was sent packing.

02-10-2011, 03:47 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbadub View Post
Spezza. Ottawa will want a couple firstys or something around Ribeiro (C for C). Send Richards to the Penguins for their first since Geno won't be back. Spezza replaces Richards next year, and Richards becomes the most sought after C in FA next year.
I like this idea... plus that means we can play Ott - Spezza - Morrow for ultimate hilarity.

Old
02-10-2011, 07:29 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
Am I the only one who'd rather send Neal instead of Ribeiro? The guy is consistent, and makes Morrow happy. I think if he leaves Morrow suffers.

Shea Weber
Seabrook
Regehr
Bieksa
Doughty

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 07:32 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
I actually think we'd have the best chance at Bogosian oddly enough. With the relationship Joe had for the Kari deal I think we could get it done. Neal-Bogo kind of swap.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 07:43 PM
KiedisA

We need a D-man who can help our penalty kill(24th) and also do something attacking wise.. So no to Pitkänen, McCabe etc..

KiedisA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 07:53 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
Am I the only one who'd rather send Neal instead of Ribeiro?
Of course not.

Old
02-10-2011, 09:54 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

vCash: 1425
I agree too

DaStars99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 08:58 AM
LordHelmet

1) I don't want any trade to mess with our top 9 forwards. The game is made up of forwards, defense, and goaltending. Great play from any two of those components can take you a long way.

2) I don't think that management is as concerned about getting an offensive defensemen as most fans think. Our D doesn't put up many points, but they get the puck out of the zone and up to the forwards. Richards fills the role offensive D on the power play. Depth-ish stay at home D costs much less to acquire, and that's what I expect Joe to do.

3) Weber? Doughty? Dream on. Why would Nashville or LA trade those guys in the first place, and why would they give us anything close to an attractive deal on them?

LordHelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 11:19 AM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndBoards View Post
1) I don't want any trade to mess with our top 9 forwards. The game is made up of forwards, defense, and goaltending. Great play from any two of those components can take you a long way.

2) I don't think that management is as concerned about getting an offensive defensemen as most fans think. Our D doesn't put up many points, but they get the puck out of the zone and up to the forwards. Richards fills the role offensive D on the power play. Depth-ish stay at home D costs much less to acquire, and that's what I expect Joe to do.

3) Weber? Doughty? Dream on. Why would Nashville or LA trade those guys in the first place, and why would they give us anything close to an attractive deal on them?
I would not trade Neal before Ribeiro. Neal is younger, cheaper, and has more offensive and physical potential than Ribs, period. A 50-60 point 2nd line center can likely be had cheaper than Ribs at 5 million for 20 extra points. See: Weiss, Antropov, Gagner, Steen, Umberger, Vermette.

It's not so much that we need a straight offensive D-man, we need someone who is really good at the transition game and is good under forechecking pressure. Either that or we need to backcheck WAY better. Or maybe our forwards are terrible at passing. I think they're terrible at passing under pressure. Like Niskanen.

I never said Doughty. I said Weber because he is an upcoming RFA and Nashville already has a plethora of strong defensemen coming through their system. See: Blum, Franson, Ellis, Josi, Roussel. Like I said, we need a stronger, larger top 4 transition D-man.

Old
02-11-2011, 12:00 PM
txomisc

I don't have enough belief in the team to spend very much at the deadline to improve it. Overpaying for small pieces isn't going to get the team over the top. We need impact guys on defense which I think will cost a ton more than we can afford to lose.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 12:17 PM
LordHelmet

Quote:
It's not so much that we need a straight offensive D-man, we need someone who is really good at the transition game and is good under forechecking pressure. Either that or we need to backcheck WAY better. Or maybe our forwards are terrible at passing. I think they're terrible at passing under pressure. Like Niskanen.
I think that the D just needs a leader. Someone that's been through the battles and that's composed under fire. Someone that the kids can look at & say "that's our guy. he can handle it." Offensive/transition skills would be fine, but not required. A Norstrom type is what I have in mind.

Quote:
I never said Doughty. I said Weber because he is an upcoming RFA and Nashville already has a plethora of strong defensemen coming through their system. See: Blum, Franson, Ellis, Josi, Roussel. Like I said, we need a stronger, larger top 4 transition D-man.
I threw up a list of names I saw in the thread. Wasn't necessarily responding to you in particular.. Weber would be an awesome addition, but it would take a mammoth trade package to get him. I don't even think that Benn or Eriksson would be enough to get him straight up.

This team wins on the strength of their forwards and goaltending. Teams have won the cup with that combination. A small, inexpensive addition at D is fine, but I don't think that you rock the boat when you have a team with as much chemistry and success as the Stars have this season.

LordHelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 12:42 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
I don't have enough belief in the team to spend very much at the deadline to improve it. Overpaying for small pieces isn't going to get the team over the top. We need impact guys on defense which I think will cost a ton more than we can afford to lose.
Then we need to pursue Brewer? Actually I think he is what fits us well. A leader, expiring contract, on a St. Louis team that isn't going to be making the playoffs. It shouldn't be TOO hard to get him out of St. Louis...

Old
02-11-2011, 01:39 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Then we need to pursue Brewer? Actually I think he is what fits us well. A leader, expiring contract, on a St. Louis team that isn't going to be making the playoffs. It shouldn't be TOO hard to get him out of St. Louis...
Acquiring the likes of Brewer, Phillips, etc. would be the obvious choice that doesn't eat into the roster space. As much as I'd like to dangle Neal for a better d-man, it's not happening this season.

Old
02-11-2011, 01:47 PM
munkeyman70

Ribero
Niskanen

for

Letang
2011 3rd

munkeyman70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 01:50 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by munkeyman70 View Post
Ribero
Niskanen

for

Letang
2011 3rd
Bahahaha I am pretty sure Pittsburgh would tell us to **** off.

I posted a proposal for Brewer in trade.

Also, how about Ribeiro and Niskanen for Vermette, Hejda, and a 5th 2011?

Old
02-11-2011, 01:52 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
I would not trade Neal before Ribeiro. Neal is younger, cheaper, and has more offensive and physical potential than Ribs, period. A 50-60 point 2nd line center can likely be had cheaper than Ribs at 5 million for 20 extra points. See: Weiss, Antropov, Gagner, Steen, Umberger, Vermette.
You kind of make it sound a bit like the argument of losing Ribs versus Neal occurs in a vacuum. The argument for trading Neal over Ribeiro is two-fold, because of his higher level of attractiveness to other clubs because of his age and potential, but also because we already know what we can reasonably expect from Ribeiro while we don't know if Neal will ever reach his full potential. Right now, Ribeiro is the better defensive player, more consistent in all areas of the game, and just below a PPG player during his Stars tenure.

I also think the extra 1.5 - .75 million Ribeiro makes over the players you listed is absolutely worth it; he is by far more dynamic than any of those guys, of whom a couple wouldn't even be 2nd line centers on contending teams.

Quote:
I think they're terrible at passing under pressure. Like Niskanen.
Terrible may be a bit strong of a word. We have two players in the top 6 in assists in the entire league, and three in the top 11. The only other team with anything close is Vancouver with the Sedins who are 1 and 3 on that list. You don't rack up that many assists by being bad at passing under pressure.