HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

#23: Flyers @ Wild - Wednesday, Nov. 24, 2010 - 8:00 PM (ET)

Old
11-25-2010, 07:07 PM
jb**

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Carcillo and Powe are both replaceable parts on this team. I wouldn't shed a tear if both of them went. I like the way the lines are right now and that's the way the Flyers should keep things.
yes they are, that is why if they dont want to sign on the flyers terms you let them walk.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 07:10 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
How does powe bring much more than carcillo by the way?
Speed, energy, penalty kill, overall good defensive forward

vs.

Grit, toughness, able to fight

Trust me I ****ing LOVE Carcillo, but Powe is more valuable.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 07:30 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Carcillo and Powe are both replaceable parts on this team. I wouldn't shed a tear if both of them went. I like the way the lines are right now and that's the way the Flyers should keep things.
I agree. Some act like with either guy there isnt anyone else like them and you wouldnt be able to replace them. They are both role players. Nothing more. I honestly think this is Carcillo's last year here. I think there is more of a chance for Powe to stick around past this season IMO

Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 11-25-2010 at 07:46 PM.
GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 07:36 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Yeah definitely think Carcillo is gone.

Powe however, I think will be around for a few more years. I dont see why we would need to replace him, as he wont be expensive. ~900k for a good 4th line forward who can do a lot of PKing is fair value

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 07:48 PM
BringBackStevens

I fail to see that many players that will be available that can replicate Powe's PK abilities and skating/energy for less than he will make. Examples?

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 08:03 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
I fail to see that many players that will be available that can replicate Powe's PK abilities and skating/energy for less than he will make. Examples?
Pisani, Sjostrom, craig adams, possibly reasoner, asham, adam hall, ortmeyer. There are always 4th line players available. soem are very good pk guys on that list and really wouldnt be a downgrade.

Old
11-25-2010, 08:05 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Pisani, Sjostrom, craig adams, possibly reasoner, asham, adam hall, ortmeyer. There are always 4th line players available. soem are very good pk guys on that list and really wouldnt be a downgrade.
There are always guys like Powe (and to a lesser extent Betts and Lappy) available but I doubt you'll be able to replace Powe for any significant savings.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 08:08 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
There are always guys like Powe (and to a lesser extent Betts and Lappy) available but I doubt you'll be able to replace Powe for any significant savings.
depends what you consider significant i suppose. If he wants 1mm and you can sign one of those guys for 600k, that extra 400k may go a long way.

Old
11-25-2010, 08:09 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
also you could possibly trade powe for a pick and then sign someone else cheaper. so you acquire an asset and save a little cash

Old
11-25-2010, 08:28 PM
Clown Baby

Quote:
also you could possibly trade powe for a pick and then sign someone else cheaper. so you acquire an asset and save a little cash
If it doesn't make the team better today, it's not a deal worth making.

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 08:29 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Baby View Post
If it doesn't make the team better today, it's not a deal worth making.
after the season, not now. Yeah i can see how losing powe though would really cripple the team and set them back.

Old
11-25-2010, 09:04 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
How does powe bring much more than carcillo by the way?
He's a better forechecker, better penalty killer, better 5 on 5 defender. The only things Carcillo does better are score the very occasional nice looking goal and fight. Carcillo's hands are probably better but Powe has the better shot (and he did make that extra fancy pass to Zherdev a couple games ago). But that's not really what either of them are out there for.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 09:25 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
Betts, Blair: Cap hit = $700,000

I love having Powe on the team, but this team can't keep being generous with the offers. Yes, Holmgren saved with some shrewd (how did "Holmgren" and "shrewd" get in the same sentence) contracts for Giroux and Carter, but he needs to give himself some cap wiggle room.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 12:00 AM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post
Speed, energy, penalty kill, overall good defensive forward

vs.

Grit, toughness, able to fight

Trust me I ****ing LOVE Carcillo, but Powe is more valuable.
Agree completely, as a Carcillo fan myself, Powe is more valuable.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 12:13 AM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Betts, Blair: Cap hit = $700,000

I love having Powe on the team, but this team can't keep being generous with the offers. Yes, Holmgren saved with some shrewd (how did "Holmgren" and "shrewd" get in the same sentence) contracts for Giroux and Carter, but he needs to give himself some cap wiggle room.
I love Betts to death, but no, he doesn't bring the energy Powe does. Not even close.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 05:45 AM
HoverCarle*

And Betts signed that deal with serious injury concerns.

However, if we give Powe a 3 year deal, it will be cheaper than if we give him a 1 year deal. 3 years at 850-900k is definitely possible. Honestly there is no way Powe isnt on this team next year. Laviolette loves him, Holmgren loves him, etc. Unless for some reason he is super greedy, which I doubt he would be

Quote:
Sjostrom already makes 750k, and will likely get a raise similar to Powe.

Pisani signed dirt cheap for cup winners, and apparently has sucked this year. pass

Adams is on a good cheap deal, but Id say he stays in Pitts.

Asham cant kill penalties

Reasoner makes 1.150 million now...

Hall, possibly, but he isnt as good as Powe.

Ortmeyer is playing in the AHL. enough said.

Even if we replace him from within(assuming Wellwood replaces Carcillo) the cheapest we could viable replace him with would be Holmstrom at 750k.

Old
11-26-2010, 06:58 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
And Betts signed that deal with serious injury concerns.

However, if we give Powe a 3 year deal, it will be cheaper than if we give him a 1 year deal. 3 years at 850-900k is definitely possible. Honestly there is no way Powe isnt on this team next year. Laviolette loves him, Holmgren loves him, etc. Unless for some reason he is super greedy, which I doubt he would be

Sjostrom already makes 750k, and will likely get a raise similar to Powe.

Pisani signed dirt cheap for cup winners, and apparently has sucked this year. pass

Adams is on a good cheap deal, but Id say he stays in Pitts.

Asham cant kill penalties

Reasoner makes 1.150 million now...

Hall, possibly, but he isnt as good as Powe.

Ortmeyer is playing in the AHL. enough said.

Even if we replace him from within(assuming Wellwood replaces Carcillo) the cheapest we could viable replace him with would be Holmstrom at 750k.
Your losing very little, nothing at all in some cases, if you signed those guys over powe at few hundred k cheaper. He is replaceable simple as that really. Reasoner makes that now, as I said possibly he may not get that next year as the market for these type of guys goes dry. So some of those guys may not get a raise but possibly a reduction in salary. You cant overpay these guys if youíre the flyers. You need to take short cuts somewhere. It wont be in the top 9 or on d at this point.

I disagree with you that there is no way powe isnít on the team next year. He wants to get paid at some point. Not sure if he is arbitration eligible or not. He took a token raise last year so who knows what he is thinking this summer. As I also said you can trade him in the summer and acquire a draft pick and replace him. You make out on both ends. Powe is not the diff in this team winning or losing. He is a solid replaceable player. Way to early to pencil in wellwood. Carcillo though will be gone by the deadline imo.

Old
11-26-2010, 07:32 AM
HoverCarle*

Powe is a UFA, no one will trade for his rights before July 1.

Powe fits Laviolette's system perfect as he is very fast, hard forechecker and good defensively. I really doubt he goes anywhere

Old
11-26-2010, 07:43 AM
jb**

Quote:

Powe fits Laviolette's system perfect as he is very fast, hard forechecker and good defensively. I really doubt he goes anywhere
Thought he was a restricted, guess not. Why do you doubt he leaves? Someone offers him a multi year deal making good coin he is gone imo. Some team may offer him say 1.2 that has plenty of cap room. That isnít that unrealistic. If so the flyers cant afford to give him that.

Old
11-26-2010, 09:47 AM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
I love Betts to death, but no, he doesn't bring the energy Powe does. Not even close.
Not the energy, but Betts is 'man'. He's fast, he hits and he can check anyone. He's important because he has the will to win - at the cost of many bruises and surgeries.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 10:26 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

I'd be surprised if Powe went anywhere. I assume he'll stay slightly under the $1M mark and a true replacement for him would be somewhere around the same money so ditching him for a clone would make no sense. Lavvy also loves him and seems to hate Carcillo, so factor that in as well. If Carcillo makes the trade deadline here I'll be surprised.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 10:29 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:

Powe is RFA

http://capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=24

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 10:30 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
I'd be surprised if Powe went anywhere. I assume he'll stay slightly under the $1M mark and a true replacement for him would be somewhere around the same money so ditching him for a clone would make no sense. Lavvy also loves him and seems to hate Carcillo, so factor that in as well. If Carcillo makes the trade deadline here I'll be surprised.
what if he wants 1mm or more than what do you do?

Old
11-26-2010, 10:31 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
I have to disagree. Betts is probably the only one constantly skating on the PK. He might not give the same effort at EV, but he is brings energy in a different way.

Old
11-26-2010, 10:33 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
what if he wants 1mm or more than what do you do?
He won't get it, he is RFA and I doubt someone gives him an offer sheet. I would assume he would have some loyalty since the Flyers gave him his first shot, aka he was signed out College and not drafted.