HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Hodgson is now a matter of "when" rather than "if"

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-23-2010, 08:51 PM
  #1
xtr3m
Registered User
 
xtr3m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,220
vCash: 500
Hodgson is now a matter of "when" rather than "if"

Too much doom and gloom around here. Here's something to make you feel better.

Quote:
It's now a matter of "when" rather than "if" the highly-touted, highly-scrutinized prospect will become a member of the Vancouver Canucks later this season. Based on his performance and rave reviews with the Manitoba Moose — 13 points (8-5) in 17 games — it's simply a matter of more AHL seasoning as to when the first-round pick can finally end lingering questions about his health and relationship with the NHL club.

Although the Canucks recalled Jeff Tambellini on Tuesday to play with Ryan Kesler and Mason Raymond, the long-term plan could have Hodgson slotted on that line at some point in the new year. He's come that far, that quickly.

"What we're seeing is a guy who hasn't played a whole lot of hockey in the last 18 months who is building a great foundation," said Canucks general manager Mike Gillis. "He's playing a lot of minutes, playing in every situation and we want him to stay there and continue to do that and get stronger and quicker."
http://communities.canada.com/thepro...-forecast.aspx

Tanking will have to wait!


xtr3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 08:53 PM
  #2
Saren
Multi Pass!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fhloston Paradise
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,088
vCash: 500
The fact that we need to call him up is not a good thing. Disappointing for me, to be honest.

Saren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 08:54 PM
  #3
Connecticut
Registered User
 
Connecticut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saren View Post
The fact that we need to call him up is not a good thing. Disappointing for me, to be honest.
Not sure I follow -- that's the opposite of what the story says.

Connecticut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 09:06 PM
  #4
xtr3m
Registered User
 
xtr3m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,220
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saren View Post
The fact that we need to call him up is not a good thing. Disappointing for me, to be honest.
There were a lot of questions regarding Cody being able to take his game to the next level after experiencing a number of set backs. He's well on his way to answer them.

xtr3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 09:06 PM
  #5
wholesickcrew
Registered User
 
wholesickcrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,954
vCash: 500
Makes sense to me. A lot of people have more recently been talking about how it would be good for Hodgson to spend the year in the AHL, but in the summer and into pre-season, the talk was that Hodgson was a virtual lock to make the team. He wasn't able to cut it, but now that he is up to speed and at the level expected of him for the past two training camps, it's not surprising to see him working his way up.

Edit: And it's not that we need to call him up, it's that we can. It's his play that is dictating this move, not the team's.

wholesickcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 09:06 PM
  #6
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,347
vCash: 796
I was going to say great news except the last time Gillis said something positive about a prospective forward (Morrison) (on HNIC no less), see how that turned out (although Gillis' instincts in the case of MO were correct, IMO).

Although I think Gillis is on the right track with Hodgson as well - only a special player comes back from what was basically a year off in Junior to become one of the better players in the AHL after only 20 games - I'll believe it when I see it. Until then, its smoke and mirrors.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 09:08 PM
  #7
Falconator
Registered User
 
Falconator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Vancouver Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,072
vCash: 500
I hope he lights it up over the next 20 games down there! Keep him down there and let him get his game back in order.

Falconator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 09:25 PM
  #8
vancityluongo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 11,326
vCash: 500
Keep him there until the deadline, at the very least. It's good that he's been able to have a nice transition into the AHL so far, but don't rush that. Let him outgrow the AHL just like they did with Schneider; we were hearing things like this with him too a couple years back.

Ideally, Hodgson gets a couple games near the end of the year where there's very little impact on the standings and no real pressure for him to perform...then send him back to Manitoba for the Moose playoffs, and then have him tryout for a permanent spot on the big club again next year.

vancityluongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 09:46 PM
  #9
El Duderino
Registered User
 
El Duderino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,744
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtr3m View Post
Too much doom and gloom around here. Here's something to make you feel better.

http://communities.canada.com/thepro...-forecast.aspx

Tanking will have to wait!

What an epic picture, Liev really does look like a splitting image of Cody.

El Duderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 09:53 PM
  #10
gobi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Paradise, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,459
vCash: 500
With Hodgson and Tambellini here, hopefully, it will push Raymond to perform better.

gobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 09:54 PM
  #11
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: calgary
Posts: 15,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vancityluongo View Post
Keep him there until the deadline, at the very least. It's good that he's been able to have a nice transition into the AHL so far, but don't rush that. Let him outgrow the AHL just like they did with Schneider; we were hearing things like this with him too a couple years back.

Ideally, Hodgson gets a couple games near the end of the year where there's very little impact on the standings and no real pressure for him to perform...then send him back to Manitoba for the Moose playoffs, and then have him tryout for a permanent spot on the big club again next year.
If Hodgson is better than any other options we have to centre the 4th line he should be in Vancouver for the playoffs. Unless Gillis looks outside the organization to fill that hole I have a hard time envisioning Bolduc or Perrault beating him out for that roster spot.

I haven't been very high on quite a few Canuck prospects in the past but Cody Hodgson is the real deal IMO.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 10:06 PM
  #12
eklunds source
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ed Snider's basement
Posts: 7,665
vCash: 500
From that article, which clearly insinuates Hodgson WILL BE called up this season:

Quote:
"What we're seeing is a guy who hasn't played a whole lot of hockey in the last 18 months who is building a great foundation," said Canucks general manager Mike Gillis. "He's playing a lot of minutes, playing in every situation and we want him to stay there and continue to do that and get stronger and quicker."

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 10:26 PM
  #13
VanEric
Registered User
 
VanEric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,344
vCash: 500
I'm sure they'll bring him up for a look at some point regardless of how the Canucks are doing at the time. In a perfect world, he'd come up sometime in 2011 when the team is playing well but maybe someone is slumping or hurt.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 10:35 PM
  #14
ddawg1950
Registered User
 
ddawg1950's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,647
vCash: 500
After watching him in pre season, the best I could have hoped for...the absolute best...was the level of play he seems to be exhibiting in the AHL.

And now I hope he absolutely forces the Canucks to call him up this season.

ddawg1950 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 10:44 PM
  #15
hackey
Posts: 1,258,486
 
hackey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: SoStopPostingSoMuch
Posts: 2,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
If Hodgson is better than any other options we have to centre the 4th line he should be in Vancouver for the playoffs. Unless Gillis looks outside the organization to fill that hole I have a hard time envisioning Bolduc or Perrault beating him out for that roster spot.

I haven't been very high on quite a few Canuck prospects in the past but Cody Hodgson is the real deal IMO.
He will never be brought up to play 6 minutes a night on the 4th line

He is a Top 6 player throughout his career and that's where he'll play with the Nucks

He will be put in a position to succeed, not fail

Perrault, Rypien, Hansen... those are the guys that play on the 4th line, energy players with rocks for hands

hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 10:47 PM
  #16
Saren
Multi Pass!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fhloston Paradise
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut View Post
Not sure I follow -- that's the opposite of what the story says.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtr3m View Post
There were a lot of questions regarding Cody being able to take his game to the next level after experiencing a number of set backs. He's well on his way to answer them.
I'm glad he's doing well. Please don't misunderstand. My disappointment stems from all the talk of the amazing "depth" we had going into the season, with answers on every line except the 4th... and now we're looking to pencil him in beside Kesler and Raymond. So much for that.

It's how I see this story, anyways.

Saren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 11:15 PM
  #17
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: calgary
Posts: 15,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackey View Post
He will never be brought up to play 6 minutes a night on the 4th line

He is a Top 6 player throughout his career and that's where he'll play with the Nucks

He will be put in a position to succeed, not fail

Perrault, Rypien, Hansen... those are the guys that play on the 4th line, energy players with rocks for hands
The Canucks #1 priority is to win the Stanley cup, not give Hodgson the most minutes possible in a lesser league. It will be good for him to spend most of the year with the Moose so he can regain his form but when the chips are down at the end of the year I fully expect Hodgson to be in Vancouver fighting for a roster spot.

There's also no reason he needs to be limited to 6:00 of ice time. His ability to play special teams should allow him to play over 10:00 a night and if the Canucks want to roll 4 lines Hodgson will probably have to be a big part of that.

Look around at other elite teams 4th lines and tell me their players have 'rocks for hands'. Detroit looks like the team to beat in the West and they use guys like Abdelkader, Eaves and Helm a lot in a 4th line role. If the Canucks are to match a 4th line like that they're not doing it with Glass, Rypien, Perrault, Bolduc, Desbiens etc. leading the way.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 11:17 PM
  #18
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,493
vCash: 500
I trust our coaching staff if they say the likes of Guillame Desbiens and TAnner Glass are better are hockey than Hodgson and Tambellini....

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 11:22 PM
  #19
Canuckee
Registered User
 
Canuckee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,309
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saren View Post
I'm glad he's doing well. Please don't misunderstand. My disappointment stems from all the talk of the amazing "depth" we had going into the season, with answers on every line except the 4th... and now we're looking to pencil him in beside Kesler and Raymond. So much for that.

It's how I see this story, anyways.
your missing the point, it's not that we need to call him up. Only way he will make the team is if he keeps playing this well and forces the canucks to call him up. If he makes the nhl and performs, this is great come playoff time. Gives us 4 scoring lines if we keep tambo up.

Canuckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 11:24 PM
  #20
Canuckee
Registered User
 
Canuckee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,309
vCash: 500
I am guessing the Canucks management will watch the Moose game on Saturday like last year. If Cody impresses a lot there, we might see him called up sooner rather than later. Hopefully Oreskovich can also make his case to make the 4th line over Rypien as our 4th line wing.

Canuckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 11:34 PM
  #21
timorousme
luongod
 
timorousme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,513
vCash: 500
great news

if they feel hodgson is playing at an nhl level, there's absolutely nothing wrong with calling him up. there's nothing to be lost here. should be a great little ace in the hole.

timorousme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 11:35 PM
  #22
Pure
Registered User
 
Pure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 9,943
vCash: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtr3m View Post
Too much doom and gloom around here. Here's something to make you feel better.

http://communities.canada.com/thepro...-forecast.aspx

Tanking will have to wait!

Holy this guy really looks like Hodgson.

Pure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 11:47 PM
  #23
Saren
Multi Pass!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fhloston Paradise
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckee View Post
your missing the point, it's not that we need to call him up. Only way he will make the team is if he keeps playing this well and forces the canucks to call him up. If he makes the nhl and performs, this is great come playoff time. Gives us 4 scoring lines if we keep tambo up.
I'm not missing anything. If you call up Hodgson, it's clear management is not looking for a fourth line center. Did you read it? Management is looking to replace someone in our Top-6 with an unproven rookie, which is the issue I have concerning the idea of calling him up. Going into the season we were "boasting" a solid Top-6 and had pieces of our third line completed, and now we're circa 200-whatever, where we lose games if our top line doesn't perform. How many times has a team won a championship with a rookie playing Top-6 minutes? The general consensus was to let him grow in the minors and have him competing as early as next year for a roster spot, because we were "too deep" at the moment.

Again- glad he's doing well. Can't say the same for the Canucks.

Saren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 12:01 AM
  #24
Shareefruck
Registered User
 
Shareefruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,076
vCash: 500
You guys keep saying it, but I see nothing in those quotes that indicates that management is planning to eventually call him up this year. If anything, I'd lean the other way if we're basing it off those quotes alone.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 12:14 AM
  #25
LiveeviL
No unique points
 
LiveeviL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Jämtland, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 5,372
vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
The Canucks #1 priority is to win the Stanley cup, not give Hodgson the most minutes possible in a lesser league. It will be good for him to spend most of the year with the Moose so he can regain his form but when the chips are down at the end of the year I fully expect Hodgson to be in Vancouver fighting for a roster spot.

There's also no reason he needs to be limited to 6:00 of ice time. His ability to play special teams should allow him to play over 10:00 a night and if the Canucks want to roll 4 lines Hodgson will probably have to be a big part of that.

Look around at other elite teams 4th lines and tell me their players have 'rocks for hands'. Detroit looks like the team to beat in the West and they use guys like Abdelkader, Eaves and Helm a lot in a 4th line role. If the Canucks are to match a 4th line like that they're not doing it with Glass, Rypien, Perrault, Bolduc, Desbiens etc. leading the way.

Yes, if this is a year to go for the cup then the organisation needs to mobilise for full and not being fancy.

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.