HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Yann Sauve

Old
10-29-2010, 01:34 AM
black ace

vCash: 500
Yann Sauve

A few intersting articles about Canuck prospect Yann Suave. It probably belongs in the thread about the Canucks not talking or even lying about injuries but for whatever reason its been closed.

http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.c...rticle/1278506

The Canucks told local media at training camp that they weren't making injured players available for interviews, yet Ian Walker of the Vancouver Sun said that hadn't been the case with defenceman Sami Salo or forward Alex Burrows.

hree times in the last week, telephone interviews were arranged but never materialized.

When the second one fell through, Scott Brown of the Manitoba Moose media relations department tried to explain the situation in an email.

"I understand tonight that Yann has not called you yet. My apologies for that. He may attempt to call you this weekend. Having said that, he is very concerned about any questions regarding the accident. He will not answer any and would prefer to avoid any conversation about that. He has essentially been instructed by the Canucks to wait until he's back playing before dealing with media. He gave thought to calling you because of your past relationship, but he's grown a little hesitant as he thinks more about it. I'll see how he feels about it tomorrow and we'll go from there. Again, my apologies for any inconvenience this may be causing you."

http://communities.canada.com/VANCOU...car-crash.aspx

Interesting that he was sent to Manitoba on Oct 8th but no news since then.

black ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 01:38 AM
LadyJet26
Lest We Forget

vCash: 829
He's still injured. Hasn't played a game yet. Nor would the Moose want him to when he got smoked by a car.

LadyJet26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 01:39 AM
B-rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by black ace View Post
A few intersting articles about Canuck prospect Yann Suave. It probably belongs in the thread about the Canucks not talking or even lying about injuries but for whatever reason its been closed.

http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.c...rticle/1278506

The Canucks told local media at training camp that they weren't making injured players available for interviews, yet Ian Walker of the Vancouver Sun said that hadn't been the case with defenceman Sami Salo or forward Alex Burrows.

hree times in the last week, telephone interviews were arranged but never materialized.

When the second one fell through, Scott Brown of the Manitoba Moose media relations department tried to explain the situation in an email.

"I understand tonight that Yann has not called you yet. My apologies for that. He may attempt to call you this weekend. Having said that, he is very concerned about any questions regarding the accident. He will not answer any and would prefer to avoid any conversation about that. He has essentially been instructed by the Canucks to wait until he's back playing before dealing with media. He gave thought to calling you because of your past relationship, but he's grown a little hesitant as he thinks more about it. I'll see how he feels about it tomorrow and we'll go from there. Again, my apologies for any inconvenience this may be causing you."

http://communities.canada.com/VANCOU...car-crash.aspx

Interesting that he was sent to Manitoba on Oct 8th but no news since then.
Yeah, what the hell is up with Sauve and the Canucks playing this like a conspiracy.
Just a little information Canucks, it's not that hard...

B-rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 01:44 AM
Placebo Effect

Well someone brought up that their might be some sort of insurance claim or something? From the second quote it sounds like it's plausible. It says specifically that Sauve doesn't want to talk about the accident, doesn't say he won't talk about the injury itself. I don't know, maybe Sauve is the new Hodgson.

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 01:54 AM
John Swartzwelder
MOAR TUFFNESS!!!1

The canucks have an injury hex.

John Swartzwelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 02:17 AM
biturbo19

Yeah. The Insurance claim scenario seems totally plausible. This isn't an on-ice incident that can be resolved within the NHL organizations. It's not an 'internal matter'. It will involve an unaffiliated civilian and their insurance company, meaning that public comment on Sauve's status and the severity, or other details of the incident will be held close until the matter is resolved.

And of course, on top of that...concussions are an incredibly tricky injury to diagnose and put a timeline on. Brain injuries are very serious and as we've seen many many times in the past, players want to play...and will do everything in their power to come back before they're truly 'healed'. And more than that...concussions are the sort of injury where, once you've had one, you're at increased risk for concussions in the future.

And it's also really important to consider that you're dealing with a professional athlete, whose very substantial livelihood could very much be damaged by this injury. i mean, we're talking about a player who could very well go on to be a multi-million dollar NHL player for many years. But if concussion symptons, future re-injury due to increased susceptibility, etc. hamper his earning potential because he can't effectively play at the NHL level...you're talking about an absolutely HUGE potential settlement. Even when you look at Sauve's current contract...his compensation is not insignificant. Ie. This is the type of case where both sides are likely to be 'lawyered up' to the hilt, so to speak. Neither side is going to want to 'tip their hand'.

So yes, it sucks a lot not knowing what's going on...but it's completely understandable. And in the end, this is about the well-being and future of Yann Sauve, not a bunch of rabid hockey fans. He's the one who really has to live with the outcome.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 03:01 AM
Johnny Canucker

Who's yan suave!?

LoL. Kevin conaughton needs to be the next call up!

Johnny Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 03:35 AM
Kmode

Just another unfortunate accident in the long line of the Canucks history. The fluke-accident/injury hex on this team is quite uncanny.

I know a guy in Van who was drafted in the 4th round or something by the Canucks in the mid-nineties, and a year after he was drafted he suffered a wrist injury that required surgery. Not unusual for a professional athlete, he underwent the typically "routine" procedure only to have the doctor botch the surgery and worsen the condition of his injury dramatically. He never played professionally again.

Add the extremely unfortunate deaths of Luc Bourdon, Gary Lupul and Carly Bragnalo (former Canuck Taylor Pyatt's fiancee), the setback of top-prospect Cody Hodgson, and now this accident with Yann Sauve, and the Canucks have what looks to be a curse of some sort.

Furthermore, they annually compete for the most injuries in the league every season it seems - including Dan Hamhuis and Keith Ballard this year, two guys who have been some of the most durable players in the last five seasons or so.

I hope this string of bad luck ends soon. This franchise deserves it.

Kmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 04:27 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmode View Post
Just another unfortunate accident in the long line of the Canucks history. The fluke-accident/injury hex on this team is quite uncanny.

I know a guy in Van who was drafted in the 4th round or something by the Canucks in the mid-nineties, and a year after he was drafted he suffered a wrist injury that required surgery. Not unusual for a professional athlete, he underwent the typically "routine" procedure only to have the doctor botch the surgery and worsen the condition of his injury dramatically. He never played professionally again.

Add the extremely unfortunate deaths of Luc Bourdon, Gary Lupul and Carly Bragnalo (former Canuck Taylor Pyatt's fiancee), the setback of top-prospect Cody Hodgson, and now this accident with Yann Sauve, and the Canucks have what looks to be a curse of some sort.

Furthermore, they annually compete for the most injuries in the league every season it seems - including Dan Hamhuis and Keith Ballard this year, two guys who have been some of the most durable players in the last five seasons or so.

It really does seem like someone or something's got it in for the Canucks. I mean, what's up with all the bad luck this franchise has suffered throughout its history? Certainly the most painful one in recent memory is Bourdon (RIP), then Hodgson's back injury... and now Sauve gets hit by a car? WTF? Even prospects aren't safe from this ****.

It's like someone's put a curse on this organization . We just never seem to get the breaks, what with all the misfortune and ill-timed injuries (especially in the playoffs)

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 04:41 AM
GCM
Stork

I'm sure every team goes through this we just notice ours more because we pay close attention to it.

GCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 05:42 AM
Type Not Specified
Part of the process

And don't forget Bryan Allen. 4th overall pick in 1998... horrible draft but he was still a good prospect and of course he blew out his knee the next season. Basically sidelined him for 2 1/2 years and killed his development.

A lot of things have to go right for a team to win the Stanley Cup and being able to avoid key injuries is a big part of that. Yeah it's important to have depth but there's only so much you can do. Nobody has the depth to make up for the kind of injuries we've had on the blueline. We just have to hope the law of averages takes over and we stay relatively healthy in the playoffs.

Type Not Specified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 06:03 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastMetal View Post
And don't forget Bryan Allen. 4th overall pick in 1998... horrible draft but he was still a good prospect and of course he blew out his knee the next season. Basically sidelined him for 2 1/2 years and killed his development.
Didn't Ohlund have an eye injury or something once? Or was that another defenceman?

Quote:
A lot of things have to go right for a team to win the Stanley Cup and being able to avoid key injuries is a big part of that. Yeah it's important to have depth but there's only so much you can do. Nobody has the depth to make up for the kind of injuries we've had on the blueline. We just have to hope the law of averages takes over and we stay relatively healthy in the playoffs.
True. Gillis could do everything absolutely right in his capacity as GM in our quest to win the Cup - ensuring that players are well-rested, coaching is effective and able to adapt to adjustments in the playoffs, having depth in all areas, proper training and conditioning etc., and it still wouldn't matter if we suddenly suffered a freak rash of injuries to our blueline. No team is going to win the Cup with that many injured D-men out at playoff time. So literally everything has to come together perfectly if the Canucks are ever to win it all. Fair and consistent officiating, avoiding tough and grinding physical teams, and luck above all.

As they say: "The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry"... Luck really is a big factor in determining who wins and who doesn't. There really is only so much you can do as an organization to mitigate the effects of bad luck. Not to be negative here, but I really hope things start to turn around for the Canucks. We've long been overdue for a full dose of health throughout our entire playoff run, regardless of how it ends.

Btw it really pissed me off to no end how both times we faced Chicago in the playoffs we were always short a couple of men due to injuries, whereas they pretty much had a fully healthy roster

Old
10-29-2010, 07:19 AM
canuckster19
Former CDC Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
It really does seem like someone or something's got it in for the Canucks. I mean, what's up with all the bad luck this franchise has suffered throughout its history? Certainly the most painful one in recent memory is Bourdon (RIP), then Hodgson's back injury... and now Sauve gets hit by a car? WTF? Even prospects aren't safe from this ****.

It's like someone's put a curse on this organization . We just never seem to get the breaks, what with all the misfortune and ill-timed injuries (especially in the playoffs)
Don't forget our involvement in major on ice incidents, McSorely, Bertuzzi, Auger-gate, Rypien, all major from the amount of media attention it generated.

canuckster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 09:21 AM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 894
What about Wellwood accidentally living across the street from Fat Burger?!

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 09:37 AM
IComeInPeace

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffCourtnall View Post
Who's yan suave!?

LoL. Kevin conaughton needs to be the next call up!
Who's Kevin Conaughton?

IComeInPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 11:47 AM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

It would be nice to have all the info we want, but the Canucks don't owe us a glimpse into a 20 year old kid's medical files. The extreme silence and the nature of his injury does seem a bit like maybe something with the legal process is going down though, doesn't it?

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 12:20 PM
Ogie Goldthorpe
Piloted Ogre Hog

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Didn't Ohlund have an eye injury or something once? Or was that another defenceman?
Yep, that was Ohlund who took a puck in his eye at the beginning of what would have been his third season with the team. The eye was never right again. Considering how well he ended up doing with limited vision in one eye, I shake my head at what could have been.

Also, you can add Josh Holden (Canucks' 1st round pick in 1996) to the derailed by injuries list... he had the tendons in his wrist severed in the season after we drafted him, and was never the same player again.

Ogie Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 12:21 PM
Kmode

Makes sense, especially since it seemes as though Sauve might be at fault for walking across the street when he wasn't supposed to be. Im guessing there's an on-going legal process in which Sauve or the Canucks cannot talk about, hence the silence on the matter.

The fact that he hasn't resumed even skating nearly 2 months after the incident is certainly a concern for the well being of this kid's career. His concussion must be quite severe, and it wouldn't surprise me if there was more to the injury than anyone even knows.

Kmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 06:26 AM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmode View Post

Which ex-Canuck pick are you talking about here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmode

Not really any different than any other franchise. Stuff happens. Looking back 20 or 30 years probably leaves 300 or 400 players who have been in our system over that time, and there are going to be some sad stories.

Take a look at Calgary and you see the same thing - Pelawa and Renaud dead shortly after being drafted. Dan Ryder losing his marbles, quitting hockey, and ending up in jail for armed robbery. Jason Muzzatti (former #1 pick) needing open-heart surgery. Dan Tkaczcuk ruined by concussions. Sergei Golmolyako's gigantism. And so on.

That said, one of the biggest ones you're missing is Rick Girard shredding his knee early in 1995. Was our co-top forward prospect with Mike Peca at the time and scoring a point-per-game in the AHL at age 20, was never the same player again.,

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 12:02 PM
galiano

The hex of injured d men likely began in 1984 when the Canucks drafted JJ Daigneault 10th overall and he came to podium on crutches.

galiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 01:59 PM
MS

I find the Daigneault thing to be one of those over-rated happenings that doesn't really have a lot of substance behind it.

Daigneault was drafted in June 1984, was 100% healthy by training camp that year, made the team, and was a regular for the Canucks in 1984-85 straight after being drafted. The injury was obviously not a factor in anything, and didn't change his career at all.

People talk like we drafted some guy who was horribly damaged goods and never amounted to anything as a result, when in fact he'd just had minor knee surgery and went on to play 16 seasons in the NHL.

The bigger story with Daigneault is how he was mis-managed as a prospect and stupidly rushed into the NHL before he was ready. Same with Cam Neely and Michel Petit at the same time, with the same result. All 3 very high #1 picks, all 3 rushed into prime icetime with huge expectations as teenagers, all 3 fail to meet them, and are then dumped by the club by age 21 or 22 and wasted as assets. Mindblowing idiocy.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 02:02 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by galiano View Post
The hex of injured d men likely began in 1984 when the Canucks drafted JJ Daigneault 10th overall and he came to podium on crutches.
Such a curse to draft a guy who played 998 games (regular season and playoffs) in the NHL

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 08:32 PM
Win One Before I Die
Former Booth Fan

Send a message via MSN to Win One Before I Die
I wonder if the tear of all this travel the team does increases chance of injury?

Win One Before I Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 12:30 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outraged666 View Post
I wonder if the tear of all this travel the team does increases chance of injury?
That could be, but then the Sharks also travel a lot too if I remember correctly, and they don't seem to be ever get plagued by the bouts of simultaneous injuries that we seem to get every year.

Old
11-01-2010, 01:38 AM
Impossibles

Pat Quinn sold the Canucks soul to draft Bure.

Impossibles is offline   Reply With Quote