HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Hodgson is now a matter of "when" rather than "if"

Old
11-24-2010, 12:25 AM
Bgav
We Stylin'

vCash: 1752
Mike gillis himself said on radio that he has plans to get all of our young guns up for a few games to see how nhl life is.

Bgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 12:30 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

vCash: 500
I'm curious...where would he be inserted into the lineup once he was called up? I agree putting him on the 4th line would be silliness, but you also can't put him on the 3rd and demote Malhotra. So that leaves the only possibility of him playing the wing or moving Kesler over. I would assume Kesler would be the likely move since he played there and played well with Sundin/Demitra if I recall correctly.

Forgive me if I get this lineup card wrong...as my moniker suggests I'm not a Canucks expert.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows/Samuelsson
Raymond - Hodgson - Kesler
Torres - Malhotra - Samuelsson/Burrows
Glass - Rypien - Hansen

Not a bad lineup. So long as it doesn't actually manifest against the Avs in tonight's game I actually look forward to seeing what it could do.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 12:47 AM
John Swartzwelder
MOAR TUFFNESS!!!1

vCash: 50
For the playoffs, we need to trade for Smithson and call up Hodgson and Tambellini.

Hodgson can be played on the 4th line. He can get at least 12 minutes / game if he plays on special teams and moves around in the lines.

So our roster for the playoffs needs to be (of course lines are interchangeable):

Sedin, D - Sedin, H - Tambellini
Raymond - Kesler - Samuelsson
Burrows - Malhotra - Hansen
Torres - Hodgson - Smithson

Edler - Ehrhoff
Hamhuis - Ballard
Alberts - Salo

Luongo
Schneider

Extras:
Glass
Bolduc
Parent
Rome

I would be very comfortable with this lineup.

John Swartzwelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 12:49 AM
LucidInterval

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
I'm curious...where would he be inserted into the lineup once he was called up? I agree putting him on the 4th line would be silliness, but you also can't put him on the 3rd and demote Malhotra. So that leaves the only possibility of him playing the wing or moving Kesler over. I would assume Kesler would be the likely move since he played there and played well with Sundin/Demitra if I recall correctly.

Forgive me if I get this lineup card wrong...as my moniker suggests I'm not a Canucks expert.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows/Samuelsson
Raymond - Hodgson - Kesler
Torres - Malhotra - Samuelsson/Burrows
Glass - Rypien - Hansen

Not a bad lineup. So long as it doesn't actually manifest against the Avs in tonight's game I actually look forward to seeing what it could do.
Mike Gillis has said that the rules of a top 6 prospect not being useful in an NHL bottom six don't apply to Hodgson. He has also said that before Malhotra signed, he agreed with the possibility of playing winger for a "young centreman". By that logic, I see Hodgson being slotted into the 3rd line center spot, with the possibility of him moving up and putting Kesler on the wing.

LucidInterval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 12:56 AM
adamzilla

Hodgon's play and injuries will determine whether he is called up or not.

adamzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 01:21 AM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡° ᴥ͡°)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackey View Post
He will never be brought up to play 6 minutes a night on the 4th line
He is a Top 6 player throughout his career and that's where he'll play with the Nucks
He will be put in a position to succeed, not fail
Perrault, Rypien, Hansen... those are the guys that play on the 4th line, energy players with rocks for hands
Rypien and Perrault aren't that great 4th liners.
I would prefer having Hodgson IN THE PLAYOFFS (as the other person said) on the 4th line, and maybe some PP/PK time.

There is no harm in doing it if Manitoba is knocked out of the AHL playoffs. It's better to play 6+ mins per night than not playing at all.

If he outplays teammates, then he would probably be moved to the 3rd or maybe even the 2nd line (seeing as how Samuelsson looks pretty bad right now).

Nuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 01:28 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidInterval View Post
Mike Gillis has said that the rules of a top 6 prospect not being useful in an NHL bottom six don't apply to Hodgson. He has also said that before Malhotra signed, he agreed with the possibility of playing winger for a "young centreman". By that logic, I see Hodgson being slotted into the 3rd line center spot, with the possibility of him moving up and putting Kesler on the wing.
Cool, thanks. Makes for an interesting scenario that's for sure. I would assume if he's on the 3rd line Malhotra would still be taking a vast majority of the draws.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 03:45 AM
DFAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Swartzwelder View Post
For the playoffs, we need to trade for Smithson and call up Hodgson and Tambellini.

Hodgson can be played on the 4th line. He can get at least 12 minutes / game if he plays on special teams and moves around in the lines.

So our roster for the playoffs needs to be (of course lines are interchangeable):

Edler - Ehrhoff
Hamhuis - Ballard
Alberts - Salo

Luongo
Schneider

Extras:
Glass
Bolduc
Parent
Rome

Very solid lineup for sure, loving it.

I also love how you subtly implied that Bieksa was traded for Smithson

DFAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 07:38 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Swartzwelder View Post

Edler - Ehrhoff
Hamhuis - Ballard
Alberts - Salo

Luongo
Schneider

Extras:
Glass
Bolduc
Parent
Rome

For the regular season it is ok, but I would be deeply worried if Tambo was still on the 1st line in the playoffs.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 09:05 AM
LiveeviL
No unique points

Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
For the regular season it is ok, but I would be deeply worried if Tambo was still on the 1st line in the playoffs.
Both Burrows and Samuelsson must have picked up their game until then - must yes.

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 09:22 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancityluongo View Post
Keep him there until the deadline, at the very least. It's good that he's been able to have a nice transition into the AHL so far, but don't rush that. Let him outgrow the AHL just like they did with Schneider; we were hearing things like this with him too a couple years back.

Ideally, Hodgson gets a couple games near the end of the year where there's very little impact on the standings and no real pressure for him to perform...then send him back to Manitoba for the Moose playoffs, and then have him tryout for a permanent spot on the big club again next year.
This is how I see it aswell, except not necessarily at the end of the season. Even at the halfway point I could see Hodgson called up for a 6 game stint or something like that, just something to help him get an idea of the speed of the NHL game. He can then take that knowledge back to the AHL, and fine tune his game there to compliment the style. I believe bringing Schneider up a few games per season really helped his development, and we should do the same for Hodgson and even Schroeder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
The Canucks #1 priority is to win the Stanley cup, not give Hodgson the most minutes possible in a lesser league. It will be good for him to spend most of the year with the Moose so he can regain his form but when the chips are down at the end of the year I fully expect Hodgson to be in Vancouver fighting for a roster spot.

There's also no reason he needs to be limited to 6:00 of ice time. His ability to play special teams should allow him to play over 10:00 a night and if the Canucks want to roll 4 lines Hodgson will probably have to be a big part of that.

Look around at other elite teams 4th lines and tell me their players have 'rocks for hands'. Detroit looks like the team to beat in the West and they use guys like Abdelkader, Eaves and Helm a lot in a 4th line role. If the Canucks are to match a 4th line like that they're not doing it with Glass, Rypien, Perrault, Bolduc, Desbiens etc. leading the way.
I agree that Hodgson could be used in this role. 6 minutes a night even strength along with 2nd PK and PP units would likely give him over 10 minutes a night. After 50-60 AHL games, I think a slow start into the NHL this season would be beneficial. Next season, he can compete for a full time roster spot in the top 9.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 09:43 AM
putridgasbag
Grand Poohba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saren View Post
I'm not missing anything. If you call up Hodgson, it's clear management is not looking for a fourth line center. Did you read it? Management is looking to replace someone in our Top-6 with an unproven rookie, which is the issue I have concerning the idea of calling him up. Going into the season we were "boasting" a solid Top-6 and had pieces of our third line completed, and now we're circa 200-whatever, where we lose games if our top line doesn't perform. How many times has a team won a championship with a rookie playing Top-6 minutes? The general consensus was to let him grow in the minors and have him competing as early as next year for a roster spot, because we were "too deep" at the moment.

Again- glad he's doing well. Can't say the same for the Canucks.
Depends on the rookie. Some teams have won the cup with a rookie playing all the minutes.

I don't have a clue where you got your ideas from but nothing I read in that article says anything along the lines of what you are saying. As for depth it is rather deep when a team can put there top draft picks in the minors for seasoning. A lot of teams don't have that luxury.

putridgasbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 10:25 AM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by timorousme View Post
great news

if they feel hodgson is playing at an nhl level, there's absolutely nothing wrong with calling him up. there's nothing to be lost here. should be a great little ace in the hole.
Agreed. If he keeps progressing like he has and can, then he'll be a bonus in the line-up. If he doesn't take those steps, then he likely won't get called up this year. I don't think this is saying he will be called up, it's just saying he's looking good and should get called up if he continues to excell in the AHL.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 10:37 AM
BrockH
HFBoards Sponsor

Not really thread worthy, but I happened to find this bit on Hodgson from the hockey news:
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...-Manitoba.html

Probably nothing new in there...I was just trying to find a game log for Hodgson and came across that.

BrockH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 10:49 AM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
A lot of things have to go right to win a Stanley Cup. You need unexpected contributions but to get those unexpected contributions, you have to take some chances on players that have more upside but also have more downside. That's the risk you take.

Hodgson to me is one of those. I look at the Perrault roster spot in contrast and I'm thinking, there's no upside there. Perrault is not going to help this team win a Cup, at best he'll be a mediocre 4th liner (IMO). Hodgson on the other hand has tons of upside and could get some goal scoring going, contribute on the 2nd PP unit maybe even the PK. At least he has upside.

So I think Gillis should call him up soon, and send Perrault down.

And by the way, I don't buy the salary cap argument. A team like the Canucks cannot be so close (or over) the cap that it limits their ability to make moves. At some point given the current situation, the team will have to bite the bullet ie trade or waive Bieksa.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 12:10 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
A lot of things have to go right to win a Stanley Cup. You need unexpected contributions but to get those unexpected contributions, you have to take some chances on players that have more upside but also have more downside. That's the risk you take.

Hodgson to me is one of those. I look at the Perrault roster spot in contrast and I'm thinking, there's no upside there. Perrault is not going to help this team win a Cup, at best he'll be a mediocre 4th liner (IMO). Hodgson on the other hand has tons of upside and could get some goal scoring going, contribute on the 2nd PP unit maybe even the PK. At least he has upside.

So I think Gillis should call him up soon, and send Perrault down.

And by the way, I don't buy the salary cap argument. A team like the Canucks cannot be so close (or over) the cap that it limits their ability to make moves. At some point given the current situation, the team will have to bite the bullet ie trade or waive Bieksa.
I agree with the general sentiment but disagree that he should be called up soon. There's still a ton of hockey left to be played and Hodgson needs to be on the ice as much as possible for the majority of this season to get his development back on track. Barring injury to one of Henrik, Kesler or Malhotra I think somewhere around the 60 game mark is where you'll see Cody get his shot. That would give him a ton of playing time in Manitoba but also enough of a tune-up in Vancouver for a playoff run.

I actually think they're treating Oreskovich the same way. Like Hodgson he hasn't played much hockey in the last couple years and is well served with bigger minutes in a bigger role in Manitoba, for now. Managament may think he's a better option than what we have right now circulating through the 4th line but if they see him as more than a depth, 4th liner longterm they're going to manage the asset a little more than with other guys with less potential like a Perrault, Bliznak, Desbiens etc...

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 12:16 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
Quote:
I agree with the general sentiment but disagree that he should be called up soon. There's still a ton of hockey left to be played and Hodgson needs to be on the ice as much as possible for the majority of this season to get his development back on track. Barring injury to one of Henrik, Kesler or Malhotra I think somewhere around the 60 game mark is where you'll see Cody get his shot. That would give him a ton of playing time in Manitoba but also enough of a tune-up in Vancouver for a playoff run.

I actually think they're treating Oreskovich the same way. Like Hodgson he hasn't played much hockey in the last couple years and is well served with bigger minutes in a bigger role in Manitoba, for now. Managament may think he's a better option than what we have right now circulating through the 4th line but if they see him as more than a depth, 4th liner longterm they're going to manage the asset a little more than with other guys with less potential like a Perrault, Bliznak, Desbiens etc...
That would be the absolute latest as it probably takes rookies more than that to get used to the league.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 12:23 PM
VanEric

I wish the AHL kept faceoff stats. That's one area I'm really interested in seeing how Hodgson is doing because the spot everyone wants him in is to centre the second PP unit. Faceoffs can be a really tough adjustment for a rookie once he starts going against guys who have been doing it for much longer.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 04:47 PM
vancityluongo
weeoo

Quote:
If Hodgson is better than any other options we have to centre the 4th line he should be in Vancouver for the playoffs. Unless Gillis looks outside the organization to fill that hole I have a hard time envisioning Bolduc or Perrault beating him out for that roster spot.

I haven't been very high on quite a few Canuck prospects in the past but Cody Hodgson is the real deal IMO.
If he's being called up to be used in a 3rd or 4th line role like a Justin Abdelkader, then I'm fine with Hodgson being called up this season if it also means the end of Bolduc/Perreault/etc. I just don't think he should be handed a top-6 role sans injury regardless of his play in Manitoba this year. Even if there is an injury somewhere in the top-6, I'd rather a guy like Torres or Malholtra move up and try and fill it, rather than hand that to Hodgson.

Quote:

That's a interesting take on it. At what point did PK Subban get called up last season? How about John Carlson? Defensemen, yes, but they're both from the same draft as Hodgson, and both did fairly well in depth roles as rookies on teams with cup aspirations like the Canucks. If Hodgson and/or even Oreskovich/Schroder/Shirokov/Sweatt can provide the same thing for the Canucks, it would be pretty beneficial for both the team and the players, seeing as how both Carlson and Subban have had pretty good seasons thus far.

vancityluongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 05:11 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
That's a interesting take on it. At what point did PK Subban get called up last season? How about John Carlson? Defensemen, yes, but they're both from the same draft as Hodgson, and both did fairly well in depth roles as rookies on teams with cup aspirations like the Canucks. If Hodgson and/or even Oreskovich/Schroder/Shirokov/Sweatt can provide the same thing for the Canucks, it would be pretty beneficial for both the team and the players, seeing as how both Carlson and Subban have had pretty good seasons thus far.
The difference with Hodgson and Oreskovich however is the fact they had huge set backs in their development and haven't played a lot of hockey over the last year and a half. If Cody didn't suffer that back injury he's probably in a Canucks uniform right now IMO...

edit- Oops, it looks like you were agreeing that a late season callup would be most benefial.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 05:24 PM
GCM
Stork

Why waste a year of Hodgson's ELC on this year?

Gillis won't do it. Hodgson might get to play in the playoffs but aside from that I'm sure his full first season will be next season.

GCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 05:26 PM
Saren
Multi Pass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by putridgasbag View Post
Depends on the rookie. Some teams have won the cup with a rookie playing all the minutes.
Please list them.

Quote:
I don't have a clue where you got your ideas from but nothing I read in that article says anything along the lines of what you are saying.

Quote:
Although the Canucks recalled Jeff Tambellini on Tuesday to play with Ryan Kesler and Mason Raymond, the long-term plan could have Hodgson slotted on that line at some point in the new year. He's come that far, that quickly.
Quote:
"We want to build a good enough foundation, so when he comes here, he has the opportunity to stay and become a regular player."

Quote:
As for depth it is rather deep when a team can put there top draft picks in the minors for seasoning. A lot of teams don't have that luxury.
Yes, I know that. But that's not the case anymore. Gillis intended to leave him there for the season, hence seasoning. If our Top-6 was firing on all cylinders, there is no way Gillis even considers bringing him up to play there regardless of his progress.

Saren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 05:27 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCM View Post
It's a year off his ELC regardless of where he plays this year. Makes no difference if it's Vancouver or Manitoba.

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 05:33 PM
RobsonStreet

Quote:
A good Hodgson comparison would be Logan Couture with San Jose last season. Looking at his game by game logs, it looks like he was called up from Worcester at the end of October, playing in stints through Oct/Nov (11 games total and about 7 minutes per game), bouncing back and forth from the AHL and NHL. However, it wasn't until mid-March that he was recalled for good, dressing in 13 regular season games plus the playoffs, playing about 12-13 minutes per game.

Worth noting that Couture's 53 points in 42 AHL games (1.25 ppg) probably earned him the promotion on merit. We'll see where Hodgson tracks relative to Couture this season.

RobsonStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 05:38 PM
HSD19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCM View Post

Gillis won't do it. Hodgson might get to play in the playoffs but aside from that I'm sure his full first season will be next season.
The year is already being counted on his ELC through his time in the AHL.

HSD19 is offline   Reply With Quote