HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hodgson is now a matter of "when" rather than "if"

Old
11-24-2010, 05:49 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vancityluongo View Post
That's a interesting take on it. At what point did PK Subban get called up last season? How about John Carlson? Defensemen, yes, but they're both from the same draft as Hodgson
Subban was drafted in 2007 (fun fact:ten spots after Taylor Ellington).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saren View Post
Gillis intended to leave him there for the season, hence seasoning.
Just curious: you are aware that those two words are homonyms, right?

Or perhaps Gillis simply meant to put Hodgson in the AHL between the autumnal equinox and the winter solstice..

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 06:17 PM
Saren
Multi Pass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
Just curious: you are aware that those two words are homonyms, right?

Or perhaps Gillis simply meant to put Hodgson in the AHL between the autumnal equinox and the winter solstice..
I am not sure you are aware yourself. If you do not understand what a 'season' constitutes in the NHL then I can not help you.

Seasoning, verb: rendered competent through trial and experience; "a seasoned traveler"; "veteran steadiness"; "a veteran officer" (via Wordnet/Princeton).

Poster who replied stated Hodgson was sent down for seasoning- do you consider 20 games in the minor leagues adequate seasoning for a rookie coming off of a year-long hiatus of hockey? Would it not be an unreasonable expectation for said rookie to immediately perform as he did in the minors in an entirely superior league? These are my questions.

Saren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 06:18 PM
vancityluongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
edit- Oops, it looks like you were agreeing that a late season callup would be most benefial.
Yeah, I was. I was just against playing him in the top-6, but I'm all for having him in a lesser role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobsonStreet View Post
A good Hodgson comparison would be Logan Couture with San Jose last season. Looking at his game by game logs, it looks like he was called up from Worcester at the end of October, playing in stints through Oct/Nov (11 games total and about 7 minutes per game), bouncing back and forth from the AHL and NHL. However, it wasn't until mid-March that he was recalled for good, dressing in 13 regular season games plus the playoffs, playing about 12-13 minutes per game.

Worth noting that Couture's 53 points in 42 AHL games (1.25 ppg) probably earned him the promotion on merit. We'll see where Hodgson tracks relative to Couture this season.
That's a much better comparison. And that's exactly what I think would be ideal for Hodgson; get called up in March when there's not that many questions and a playoff spot is (hopefully) all but locked up, but close to, and then keep him around in a minor role, with guys like Thornton and Marleau (Henrik and Kesler) ahead of him on the depth chart. Can't remember if Couture played with Malholtra on SJ, but if he did and Manny has that experience, that would be an added bonus as well.

vancityluongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 06:58 PM
Canuckee

Quote:
I am not sure you are aware yourself. If you do not understand what a 'season' constitutes in the NHL then I can not help you.

Seasoning, verb: rendered competent through trial and experience; "a seasoned traveler"; "veteran steadiness"; "a veteran officer" (via Wordnet/Princeton).

Poster who replied stated Hodgson was sent down for seasoning- do you consider 20 games in the minor leagues adequate seasoning for a rookie coming off of a year-long hiatus of hockey? Would it not be an unreasonable expectation for said rookie to immediately perform as he did in the minors in an entirely superior league? These are my questions.
sounding a bit like sheldon arguing there

Canuckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 07:02 PM
Christina Woloski
Registered Something

Quote:

No no no... You can't do that. You used it in reference to CoHo going down for a entire season -- don't try to change it now.

And yah, if the guy shows he's got his step back and there's players on the roster showing they've lost one, the number of games is moot.

Christina Woloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 07:05 PM
Blane Youngblood

If we bring Hodgson up, does that imply three scoring lines and one checking line? Would you trust Hansen - Malholtra - ??? to shut-down the opositions' top lines? I wouldn't want any of our other lines out against them.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Raymond - Kesler - Tambi
Torres - Hodgson - Samuelsson
Schaffer/Glass - Malholtra - Hansen

Blane Youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 07:06 PM
RobsonStreet

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancityluongo View Post
That's a much better comparison. And that's exactly what I think would be ideal for Hodgson; get called up in March when there's not that many questions and a playoff spot is (hopefully) all but locked up, but close to, and then keep him around in a minor role, with guys like Thornton and Marleau (Henrik and Kesler) ahead of him on the depth chart. Can't remember if Couture played with Malholtra on SJ, but if he did and Manny has that experience, that would be an added bonus as well.
Yeah, looks like Couture was primarily paired with Malhotra at even-strength, with a rotating cast of wingers (Mitchell, Heatley, Mcginn). Pretty sure Malhotra was the centre on that line.

RobsonStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 07:08 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Quote:
I am not sure you are aware yourself.
Don't trouble yourself over it, I can assure you that I do.

Quote:
If you do not understand what a 'season' constitutes in the NHL then I can not help you.
I was merely continuing along the faulty line of reasoning in your post where a player is seasoned (ie. "ripened") only by playing in a development league for an entire season (ie. 82 games).

The etymology may be similar, but the two words mean completely different things. Seasoning is an abstract term and different players require amounts of time developing; a hockey season is an absolute number of games that doesn't vary.

The notion that the two are directly linked is absurd, just like my joking statement (hence the sarcasm smiley).

Old
11-24-2010, 07:12 PM
AirMinivan

Quote:
Don't trouble yourself over it, I can assure you that I do.

I was merely continuing along the faulty line of reasoning in your post where a player is seasoned (ie. "ripened") only by playing in a development league for an entire season (ie. 82 games).

The etymology may be similar, but the two words mean completely different things. Seasoning is an abstract term and different players require amounts of time developing; a hockey season is an absolute number of games that doesn't vary.

The notion that the two are directly linked is absurd, just like my joking statement (hence the sarcasm smiley).
He wins

AirMinivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 07:15 PM
Jobal

Somehow this thread turned into the worst thread on all of HFboards. It's almost as bad as The Big Bang Theory.

Jobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 07:18 PM
Christina Woloski
Registered Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by jin View Post
If we bring Hodgson up, does that imply three scoring lines and one checking line? Would you trust Hansen - Malholtra - ??? to shut-down the opositions' top lines? I wouldn't want any of our other lines out against them.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Raymond - Kesler - Tambi
Not necessarily. He could be put on the wing in place of Tambi or Hansen to ease the pressure to defend as a center.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Raymond - Kesler - Hodgson
Torres - Malholtra - Samuelsson
Typical garbage + Hansen

Christina Woloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 07:22 PM
Saren
Multi Pass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsBeReality View Post
No no no... You can't do that. You used it in reference to CoHo going down for a entire season -- don't try to change it now.
Cody Hodgson is sent to Manitoba for a season. He requires seasoning. Premature call-ups do not allow for seasoning to occur. I am positive I made my point clear.

Quote:
And yah, if the guy shows he's got his step back and there's players on the roster showing they've lost one, the number of games is moot.
Hodgson looks terrific against minor league teams... this should be expected given his age and all the hype that has surrounded his myterious career. The question I posed was not whether or not he was getting his 'step back', but whether 1) he can improve the current Top-6 we had in place at the beginning of the season and 2) whether or not our perceived depth was merely an illusion.

Quote:
Gillis is quoted as wanting him down there (presumably Manitoba) continually to develop his quickness and strength. I inferred the entire season being the length of his tenure there this year, whereas it seems you may not have.

Seasoned was never used in my post- it was the poster's who replied. I argued that a player who requires 'seasoning' by management would require more than an 1/8th of a season to qualify as such. Do you not agree?

It seems interpreted my post to believe that seasoning consisted of '82 complete games in the *HL'- that was not my intention.

Old
11-24-2010, 07:33 PM
Blane Youngblood

Quote:
Not necessarily. He could be put on the wing in place of Tambi or Hansen to ease the pressure to defend as a center.
I don't like the idea of Hodgson on the wing at all. He's best assets, namely his hockey sense, is best utilized in the middle. His main deficiency, namely his skating, would be even more pronounced on the wing.

Blane Youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 07:39 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Quote:
Seasoned was never used in my post- it was the poster's who replied. I argued that a player who requires 'seasoning' by management would require more than an 1/8th of a season to qualify as such. Do you not agree?
I don't care who used it first, you incorrectly took the word and used "hence" to imply a direct connection between the notion of seasoning or maturing and one (1) professional hockey season.

I was pointing out your error, and that's all. Yes 17 games is a fairly brief AHL career, but that does not by definition mean that it is insufficient.

(edit: and might I just add, I am not of the opinion that a. Hodgson is ready to be a scoring forward b. the team thinks Hodgson is ready for that c. that calling him up to the NHL right now is the best move for his development or d. the team is even considering it)

Last edited by R0bert0 Lu0ng0: 11-24-2010 at 07:49 PM.
Old
11-24-2010, 07:44 PM
Tiranis

Saren, there's no way out of this... either you don't know how to use 'hence' or 'seasoning'.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 02:29 AM
NuxFan09

Can someone please steer this thread back on the right track?

Go Hodgson!

NuxFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 02:49 AM
donutz0r

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuxFan09 View Post
Can someone please steer this thread back on the right track?
NO!

Quote:
I don't care who used it first, you incorrectly took the word and used "hence" to imply a direct connection between the notion of seasoning or maturing and one (1) professional hockey season.

I was pointing out your error, and that's all. Yes 17 games is a fairly brief AHL career, but that does not by definition mean that it is insufficient.

(edit: and might I just add, I am not of the opinion that a. Hodgson is ready to be a scoring forward b. the team thinks Hodgson is ready for that c. that calling him up to the NHL right now is the best move for his development or d. the team is even considering it)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Saren, there's no way out of this... either you don't know how to use 'hence' or 'seasoning'.
The suspense is killing me

donutz0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 02:59 AM
JBIZ14

Reading Sarens posts in a Sheldon voice made me laugh...but everyone is right. Please continue posting, it is very entertaining.

JBIZ14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 05:19 AM
Saren
Multi Pass!

daU rite. im sorry lool mad a misteak u guys are the bst lol

Old
11-25-2010, 05:42 AM
Nine to Five
Now Eight to Four!

What did I just read...
Now he's pretending to be drunk. I must have landed in a party where people argue about proper english usage while talking hockey.

Nine to Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 06:04 AM
Saren
Multi Pass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine to Five View Post
What did I just read...
Now he's pretending to be drunk. I must have landed in a party where people argue about proper english usage while talking hockey.
im not drunk lol you are

Old
11-25-2010, 07:23 AM
Bougieman

Bazinga

Bougieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 08:33 AM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bougieman View Post
Bazinga
Ohh god. I let out a good chuckle on the skytrain.

thefeebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 01:44 PM
cbjerrisgaard
Finger Biter

Quote:
Typical garbage + Hansen
Only if Bolduc is injured still. When healthy he is a very serviceable 4th line center.

cbjerrisgaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 01:51 PM
wholesickcrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by jin View Post

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Raymond - Kesler - Tambi
Then trade Bieksa for something like Moen plus a pick, and we suddenly have a fourth line of Moen-Malhotra-Hansen. Ah, to dream.

wholesickcrew is offline   Reply With Quote