HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Kovalev passes 1000 point milestone to HOF

View Poll Results: Could we win in 94 without Kovy?
Sorry, I was too young in 1994 12 16.44%
He was a contributor of critical importance 53 72.60%
We had enough talent to win without him 8 10.96%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-25-2010, 03:39 AM
HoosierDaddy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
Here's the flaws:

Top 10 in points once, goals twice: for a guy whose contributions are on offense, thats unimpressive.

1st Russian Drafted in the 1st Rond of NHL Draft
1 NHL All 2nd Team ('08)

Point per game player 3 times (short by a point once). Again, unimpressive for a player who only brought offense.

1,000 pts itself is no guarantee. guys with 1000+ that arent in include (this isn't everybody, just a sampling, and not counting people who haven't reached eligibility yet) Those who have at least 1 cup like kovalev have an asterisk

Steve Larmer*
Dale Hunter
Brian Bellows*
Pat Verbeek*
Joe Nieuwendyk*
Doug Gilmour*
Adam Oates
Phil Housley
Personally, I don't think we win the Cup wihout Matteau, but that's another thread. I think Kovy belongs in the HOF. He was a pioneer, imo.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 12:53 PM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
Personally, I don't think we win the Cup wihout Matteau, but that's another thread. I think Kovy belongs in the HOF. He was a pioneer, imo.
Guys like Mogilny, Fedorov, etc who DEFECTED were the pioneers. Kovalev was not.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 01:02 PM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandNewDream View Post
Guys like Mogilny, Fedorov, etc who DEFECTED were the pioneers. Kovalev was not.
What are Federov and Mogilney pioneering exploits, that they were the first defectors? ok, I concede. I know Mogilney is the highest scoring Russian, something like 76 goals. But how does that make him a pioneer.

Being the FIRST to be a FIRST round draft pick sounds like pioneering to me. Your addressing a different issue. I'm taking a literal interpretation of his pioneering work. He was the first. There's no debating this.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 01:06 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

If Kovalev can put up another couple hundred points (and especially another 82 goals) before he retires he'd have a better shot. However, I can't see him doing that in the next couple of years, so I think he's very borderline.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 02:03 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

I don't think Kovalev is HF worthy; he's has too inconsistent a career not only in NY but in his days with MTL and even PITT.

As far as 94 goes; no, they don't win without him or any of the other three Russians. Zubov deserves to be in the Hall before Kovy.

He was huge in game 6 against NJ, and game 7 against Vancouver.

He also had a great 95 playoff series that knocked Quebec out of Canada and to Colorado.

Maybe if he was healthy in 97, it couldn't been enough to at least take that Flyers series to 6 or 7 games.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 02:44 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
Kovalev is not HOF quality.

it's in your title.

edit: to me, unless you have done something else that is extraordinary, 1000 pts is a minimum requirement. at least in modern times. defensemen get a break in this regard.
Milestone is what 1000 point is. Finish line may not be , it is a different term. People are so lazy at times when it comes to reading.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 10:21 AM
rickyrod

I don't know. The power of the Troll really helped us in '94.

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 10:25 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Kovalev was always a very good playoff player. He's averaged 0.845 points per game over his career in the playoffs. That's quite good.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 11:31 AM
dynamoovechkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
WJC Gold + 2 silver
Kovy is an Olympic gold winner and has a Bronze as well
Three time NHL All-Star, once MVP in the AS game
First russian to with the Cup
First russian drafted in the first round of the draft
First russian to captain an All-Star team
400+ goals, 500+ assists, 1,000+ points.
Almost 20 years in the NHL
How is this not a HOF career?
Add to this an Izvestia cup with Dynamo in the Russian League. So let's see: The guy wins in Russia, wins at the World Juniors, wins in the Olympics, wins a Stanley Cup. First ever Russian to be drafted in the first round, among the first Russians to have their names engraved on the Stanley Cup.

One of the slickest forwards ever to lace 'em up. At one time played on a line with Messier, Gretzky and Lemieux. Otherworldly skill, tantalized with his talent, but was at times the very definition of an enigma. Should have been more of a scorer during his career, but lacked deception on his shot. Really picked up his play when it mattered- in the playoffs and for the national team. Guy was a big game player and was clutch for us in 94, which I will always appreciate.

Are his numbers alone Hall worthy? Maybe. But as a trailblazer and pure winner, he has got to get consideration.

When he was not re-signed in Montreal, the fans had a rally for him! When was the last time THAT ever happened?

Will he get into the Hall? I doubt it, but I would certainly love to see it happen, for all the reasons above.

dynamoovechkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 12:35 PM
Zil

I am completely baffled that anyone thinks he belongs in the Hall of Fame. Hall of the very good? Possibly. Hall of Fame? No 'effin way.

A winger who offers nothing other than his offense who has averaged .8 ppg over his career is nowhere close to being Hall of Fame material. Team accomplishments don't make up for a player being completely unworthy of the Hall. The only thing Kovalev has accomplished on his own is to stick around long enough to compile some meaningless composite stats.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 01:00 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
I am completely baffled that anyone thinks he belongs in the Hall of Fame. Hall of the very good? Possibly. Hall of Fame? No 'effin way.

A winger who offers nothing other than his offense who has averaged .8 ppg over his career is nowhere close to being Hall of Fame material. Team accomplishments don't make up for a player being completely unworthy of the Hall. The only thing Kovalev has accomplished on his own is to stick around long enough to compile some meaningless composite stats.
Agreed. He is always going to be in that tier of "very good" players who were not quite good enough to make the HOF. I'm sure we can think of these types of guys in every sport: Carl Banks (NYG Linebacker), Don Mattingly, Drew Bledsoe, Vinny Testaverde, etc...

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 01:12 PM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
getting 1000 points speaks volumes about how talented Kovalev is. Cause he underachieved his entire career sans '94 playoffs. He got 1000 pts on talent alone, he should have finished with a lot more if he was able to put it together. Guess where TSN sportscenter ranked Kovalev on the most skilled players of all-time? It might shock some, its no surprise to others who have watched him for many years.

Top 10 Most Skilled Players of All-Time
Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZjBvMncouU
Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXemlGWOH6k

should have been an all-time great.

Last edited by RangersFan: 11-27-2010 at 06:33 PM.
RangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 01:44 AM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
Was Kovalev the one who had the hilarious interview after winning the cup?:
Al Trautwig: So what does it mean to be the first Russian to win the Stanley Cup?
Kovalev (in Russian accent voice): It means no Russian ever won the Stanley Cup.

Screw You Rick Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 05:43 AM
The Sweetness

Kovalev was great during the 94' cup run. One of the best players on the ice in some key games and I absolutely agree we couldn't have won it without him.

It was one of the few times in his career when he played to his potential (considering he was only 21 during the playoffs and it was his second season in the NHL) and focused more on end product rather than playing a perimeter game and showboating.

The Sweetness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 05:55 AM
The Sweetness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
What are Federov and Mogilney pioneering exploits, that they were the first defectors? ok, I concede. I know Mogilney is the highest scoring Russian, something like 76 goals. But how does that make him a pioneer.

Being the FIRST to be a FIRST round draft pick sounds like pioneering to me. Your addressing a different issue. I'm taking a literal interpretation of his pioneering work. He was the first. There's no debating this.
I think you are confusing being a pioneer with something that is historical. Where he got drafted is meaningless when looking at his accomplishments for the HOF. Sure it can be useful quiz knowledge to know who the first Russian drafted in the first round, but there is nothing pioneering about Kovalev simpy because he was drafted earlier than other Russian players who had to defect.

As someone else mentioned, look at other Russians for real pioneers.

Last edited by The Sweetness: 11-28-2010 at 06:02 AM.
The Sweetness is online now   Reply With Quote