HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RW Tyler Biggs (2011, 22nd overall, Toronto)

Closed Thread

Old
06-26-2011, 12:23 PM
IkeaMonkey*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan View Post
He definitely doesnt have MaxPacs hands and I don't think hes as intense a player but hes stronger and more physical. IF he can really hit his stride I see him as a quicker but less physical, slightly less offensive Lucic more than a Pacioretty type.

You really haven't seen enough of him then.

Old
06-26-2011, 12:32 PM
jablueblue

Lucic is quite a poor skater from what I can tell..

I see Biggs as more like a Dustin Brown player, not saying he'll become as good as Brown, but from what I've heard, he skates well, hits hard, and has a good character/is a leader. All I think when I hear that is Dustin Brown.

Old
06-26-2011, 12:33 PM
Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusBouillon View Post
Does he really have the same offensive upside as either of those 2? Hard to say.
He previously was thought to and I still think he does, but he started to just stick to playing a solid physical game this year. But I still think he has 25-30 goal potential.

And what I like about him is his work-ethic. One of the hardest working players in the draft. With his body, work ethic, and character, I think he's going to go far.

Old
06-26-2011, 12:35 PM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Griffey Jrs Soul View Post
A lot are comparing Biggs to Lucic, but I think Biggs should project as a better skater, and so I thought of Pacioretty. I just see here that Pacioretty was in fact also drafted at 22nd as well.

I've always liked Pacioretty's smart up-and-down game, and what makes him so successful at it is real good acceleration and agility, which allows him to get that extra step on guys along the boards. It looks like Biggs' skating should allow him to play more of a game like Pacioretty's, rather than the pure-brawn game of Lucic.

You guys like the comparison better? Why or why not? How was Pacioretty himself projected in his draft year? Thanks.
kudos to you my friend, absolutely brilliant, you surreptitiously slid that one in whilst no one was watching

+1

Old
06-26-2011, 02:31 PM
Qvist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
At worst he is a 3rd line winger, nothing wrong with this if you look at how important 3rd lines are in the playoffs, but this player's value goes beyond goals and assists, he brings valuable intangibles to the table. Leadership, meaness, skating, hitting, fighting, I see him as a player you can slot from line 1 - 3. He was one of the players I wanted when we did the run up and honestly I didn't think he would be available by the time we drafted him. To me he was one of the best propects outside of the top 9. Leafs fans should thank Tomas Kaberle for waving his NTC, Leafs wouldn't have had a shot at drafting Biggs had he not, an excellent pick all things considered.
Could just as well have picked any of a large number of other posts as this, but the point standsa just as well:

I appreciate that fans need to marshal reasons for optimism, but it is rather striking how poster after poster lists everything you could possibly like about Biggs and just ignores the drawbacks. The only thing grudgingly admitted is the possibility that might not have NHL offensive upside, but of course "at worst he's a third line winger".

What nonsense. At worst, he's a complete bust. Being a regular third-line winger in the NHL requires a well-rounded game, especially if you're not going to put up points. And Biggs has a very long way to go to become that kind of player, never mind one that puts up points. Not even at his present level of play is he described in such terms. He'll need to grow and mature into a type of player he currently isn't, because if all he can manage is to translate his current game to the next level, what you have is a 4th line bonehead who sees 4 minutes of icetime per game as a loose energy cannon. The knock on him isn't merely a lack of offensive skill, but also horrenduous decision making, awful hockey sense and a grave lack of discipline.

Not that he doesn't have qualities and not that he can't become a good NHL player, but come on people, let's have some balance here.

Old
06-26-2011, 03:06 PM
Burgs

I watched Biggs three times live at the U18s and thought he was awful. The only forward on the team that stood out negatively. The one thing he impressed with was his strength. He was physically far ahead of most opponents and threw some guys hard into the boards (and into the player bench in one instance) but this usual happened when the game was already decided so it never influenced either team. Offensively he looked clueless and as if he had never played with his linemates before, there was zero chemistry or individual skill on display. Maybe it was the bigger ice surface or he was ill or something but I didn't see anything there that could make him a 1st rounder. On the other hand, Burke was there in person and saw some of the same games so he must be confident in Biggs' qualities.

Old
07-12-2011, 11:27 AM
The Winter Soldier
Team NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qvist View Post
Could just as well have picked any of a large number of other posts as this, but the point standsa just as well:

I appreciate that fans need to marshal reasons for optimism, but it is rather striking how poster after poster lists everything you could possibly like about Biggs and just ignores the drawbacks. The only thing grudgingly admitted is the possibility that might not have NHL offensive upside, but of course "at worst he's a third line winger".

What nonsense. At worst, he's a complete bust. Being a regular third-line winger in the NHL requires a well-rounded game, especially if you're not going to put up points. And Biggs has a very long way to go to become that kind of player, never mind one that puts up points. Not even at his present level of play is he described in such terms. He'll need to grow and mature into a type of player he currently isn't, because if all he can manage is to translate his current game to the next level, what you have is a 4th line bonehead who sees 4 minutes of icetime per game as a loose energy cannon. The knock on him isn't merely a lack of offensive skill, but also horrenduous decision making, awful hockey sense and a grave lack of discipline.

Not that he doesn't have qualities and not that he can't become a good NHL player, but come on people, let's have some balance here.
All prospects can be busts, this is a given, drafting players is a projection. Furthermore, I don't understand why are you are judging a player on his decision making process as a 17 year old, when more than likely he is going to mature when he reaches the NHL at 20. What we can project is he is a big guy that will fill out even more, he can skate, shoot and has a tonne of character. If he were a stock, this is what you would look for when that stock matures in 3 years time, due to this player's character. All you have to do is see the way he speaks in interviews to know this kid is not a Kassian character type.

Old
07-12-2011, 11:31 AM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jablueblue View Post

I see Biggs as more like a Dustin Brown player, not saying he'll become as good as Brown, but from what I've heard, he skates well, hits hard, and has a good character/is a leader. All I think when I hear that is Dustin Brown.
Yeah, Brown has always been my comparison.

Old
07-12-2011, 11:31 AM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qvist View Post

More of this and less fawning fanboyism. Not just for Leafs fans, but every team. What has happened to "3rd liners at the very least" like O'Marra, Chipchura and Gillies? Try to have a little objectivity once in a while, people. C'mon. If he was all the things everyone is saying here, he would have been drafted where Zack Kassian was drafted or higher. It honestly sounds like the player Leafs fans are trying to describe is Landeskog, not Biggs.

Old
07-12-2011, 11:58 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by jablueblue View Post

Biggs has a lot of goonery in him. He'll be the kind of player that takes a pass or two around the league to prove himself.

Old
07-12-2011, 05:53 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
More of this and less fawning fanboyism. Not just for Leafs fans, but every team. What has happened to "3rd liners at the very least" like O'Marra, Chipchura and Gillies? Try to have a little objectivity once in a while, people. C'mon. If he was all the things everyone is saying here, he would have been drafted where Zack Kassian was drafted or higher. It honestly sounds like the player Leafs fans are trying to describe is Landeskog, not Biggs.
Well Biggs was ranked 14th by Burkes Scouts, I'm pretty sure those guys no a lot more about this kid then you do, the Leafs spend a lot of money in scouting, you probably didn't even know the kids name till the Leafs drafted him. So I think that should tell you why so many people are saying what they are.

Old
07-12-2011, 07:32 PM
ponder

How many people one these boards actually watch the USHL? I'm guessing not too many, so most of us (myself included) have likely not seen him play outside of maybe a couple IIHF U18 games. I like the sound of him from scouting reports, sounds like he has a very good shot at becoming a solid 3rd liner, with an absolute maximum upside more along the lines of a Clowe/Backes type. If he gets anywhere close to Clowe/Backes then he'll be a great pick, but personally I'll reserve my judgement for a few years until I actually get to see him in action in the NHL and/or AHL.

Old
07-13-2011, 05:28 PM
Blayzer
Schenn ** JVR

David Backes I think is the best comparison for Tyler Biggs. Tyler is obviously smaller right now, but their NHL size will be basically the same, 6'3 225. Good leaders, hard to play against, big hitters, determined players. Power scorers with soft hands around the net.

Brown is a good comparison, but doesn't fight like Biggs will.

TSN really loses credibility with alot of their player comparisons.

Old
07-13-2011, 07:06 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
I watched Biggs three times live at the U18s and thought he was awful. The only forward on the team that stood out negatively. The one thing he impressed with was his strength. He was physically far ahead of most opponents and threw some guys hard into the boards (and into the player bench in one instance) but this usual happened when the game was already decided so it never influenced either team. Offensively he looked clueless and as if he had never played with his linemates before, there was zero chemistry or individual skill on display. Maybe it was the bigger ice surface or he was ill or something but I didn't see anything there that could make him a 1st rounder. On the other hand, Burke was there in person and saw some of the same games so he must be confident in Biggs' qualities.
That GWG was awful. Bigg's has scored more than one big goal in big games. He's not a guy that will get you 100 points but he plays hard, is tough and can hit. The fact he shows up big in big games is a huge plus. I find it funny how everyone wants a first round pick to be a 90 point player when in reality there are few if any of those.

A 2/3 liner that's tough, hits, can fight and play well in a playoff type game is a solid pick and something more teams wish they had on their teams.

Old
07-14-2011, 08:43 AM
The Winter Soldier
Team NHL

Kirk Luedeke's scouting report, let's just say Biggs could be the most polarizing prospect in this draft or atleast right next to Ryan Murphy he is. Biggs will either make a lot of GM's regret not taking him earlier in the 1st rd round or the Leafs
will have themselves atleast a high pick bottom 6 character guy, given drafting is a risk anyway, it was worth taking a chance on Dave Morrison's scouting acumen to shoot for the fences. To me McNeil and Biggs were far and away the 2 best power fwds in the top 60 prospects.

Quote:
Tyler Biggs, RW U.S. NTDP (USHL) 6-2, 210 04/30/1993
Victimized by unrealistic expectations, Biggs could end up proving a lot of the critics wrong. We don't buy into the belief that he killed his stock at the World Under-18 tourney- we just don't feel that it was as high with the NHL teams out there as Central scouting led everyone to believe when they ranked him fifth overall among North American skaters on their midterm list. He lives up to his last name- a powerful skater and battering ram who plays the game like a legitimate power forward. When Biggs is on top of his game, he bulls his way to the net, spins and cycles effortlessly while protecting the puck from defenders powerless to separate him from it, and unleashes a rocket shot that is heavy and hurts. Unfortunately, scouts are unsure of his hockey sense and ability to create for himself. That's one of those aspects of hockey that is extremely tough to project and Biggs could very well end up being a legitimate top-six forward someday- he can skate, hit and fight. But there are enough concerns about his upside that keep him from being a top-20 guy in our view. However, he is extremely close- the margin between his not making the cut is razor-thin as any one of the players ahead of him at 21-24 could all make the case to be inside the top-20. He's a good player, but how good is the big question on draft day.

Old
07-14-2011, 08:53 AM
The Winter Soldier
Team NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
How many people one these boards actually watch the USHL? I'm guessing not too many, so most of us (myself included) have likely not seen him play outside of maybe a couple IIHF U18 games. I like the sound of him from scouting reports, sounds like he has a very good shot at becoming a solid 3rd liner, with an absolute maximum upside more along the lines of a Clowe/Backes type. If he gets anywhere close to Clowe/Backes then he'll be a great pick, but personally I'll reserve my judgement for a few years until I actually get to see him in action in the NHL and/or AHL.
This is true, not many of us get to watch that many U18 USHL religiously, I'm sure Burke and his US hockey connections has done his due diligence on Tyler, if he wasn't sure on him he wouldn't have moved up to pick him. We know he targeted Biggs and Percy, the more that is written by guys that know this game about Biggs, the more I love this pick. He could be one of the most impactful players of this draft, if he can score 25 goals a season coupled with all the other things he does well that don't go on a scoresheet, he will do just fine in the NHL.

Old
11-12-2011, 12:45 PM
vezna*

which team would've drafted Tyler Biggs earlier than 25th?

Toronto traded BOS 30th overall and TOR 39th for ANA's 22nd to draft Biggs.

but Toronto had a 25th (used to draft Stuart Percy).

i'm just wondering which teams would've drafted Tyler Biggs and the likelihood that Biggs would be there @ 25 and Percy @ 30?

Old
11-12-2011, 12:48 PM
goodfellas

Probably no one...

Old
11-12-2011, 12:48 PM
TMLFC
Registered abuser

vCash: 50
Heard that the wings were going to select Biggs. That's why they traded out of the 1st, when he came off the board.

Old
11-12-2011, 12:53 PM
vezna*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy8920 View Post
Heard that the wings were going to select Biggs. That's why they traded out of the 1st, when he came off the board.
i heard that too.

Old
11-12-2011, 12:55 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by vezna View Post
i'm just wondering which teams would've drafted Tyler Biggs and the likelihood that Biggs would be there @ 25 and Percy @ 30?
As mentioned, it was rumored that the Red Wings were going to take Biggs at #24. When Toronto got him, that prompted Detroit to trade back.

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.ph...alk_and_lidst/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Brady
Per good Red Wings source, pretty safe to say they were drafting Tyler Biggs at #24. When Leafs did, traded out. Only guy they wanted there.

Jim Nill & Ryan Martin had both seen Biggs several times….Wings would have thrilled to get him. DRW did not pursue trading picks w/ Leafs.
One interesting thing for me was that before the draft started, some TV production people were fixing a microphone on Percy. I didn't realize who it was at the time, but in retrospect perhaps somebody had been tipped off that Percy would go in the first round/night.

Old
11-12-2011, 01:00 PM
Finnish your Czech
I miss Frank Corrado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
As mentioned, it was rumored that the Red Wings were going to take Biggs at #24. When Toronto got him, that prompted Detroit to trade back.

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.ph...alk_and_lidst/

One interesting thing for me was that before the draft started, some TV production people were fixing a microphone on Percy. I didn't realize who it was at the time, but in retrospect perhaps somebody had been tipped off that Percy would go in the first round/night.
I think it was well known that the Leafs were very interested in Percy.

Old
11-12-2011, 01:04 PM
Pi

He's been great for Miami and I'm sure he's not getting a lot of ice time because he's a rookie. I hope he goes to the Generals next year.

Old
11-12-2011, 01:04 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post

We were told by our most credible insider that we liked Percy (Cameron's pupil, plays for Melnyk's team)...not necessarily for our picks in the 1st but I wouldn't doubt he may have been ranked in our top 30. I think lots of teams liked Percy especially after the Mem Cup.

Old
11-12-2011, 01:41 PM
vezna*

Percy was iffy for me until I started watching him play. He's very smart.

But it was easy to predict they were going to pick Percy considering Burke paid a lot of attention to him going into the draft.

Closed Thread