HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RW Tyler Biggs (2011, 22nd overall, Toronto)

Closed Thread

Old
05-02-2012, 08:37 AM
3 Minute Minor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
He has no incentive to just up and leave Miami. There is definitely a little bit of Burke and his management team pushing this along. I'd bet my money that hes been guaranteed a spot in pro. Hes physically ready which is all that is needed. A lot of players end up graduating in their 4th year of junior eligability which is technically the year hes heading into. Hes been playing with men in college, and there is absolutely no point in regressing. Burke is planning on graduating a significant portion of the Marlies core and is going to need replacements. Nothing is stopping him from developing in the AHL or even if the leafs are lucky enough the NHL. Burke has preached he needs size on this team, so hes going to put Biggs in the best possition to make the NHL and thats by getting him to the GTA and getting him out of Miami. What kinda hockey culuture could there possibly be in Miami?
Okay... Biggs goes to a school called Miami (Ohio) University... It's in Oxford, Ohio. It's a pretty popular school and if I'm not mistaken that's where Brian Burke's son was going to school at the time of his passing.

Old
05-02-2012, 08:39 AM
McMatthews

Quote:
He has no incentive to just up and leave Miami. There is definitely a little bit of Burke and his management team pushing this along. I'd bet my money that hes been guaranteed a spot in pro. Hes physically ready which is all that is needed. A lot of players end up graduating in their 4th year of junior eligability which is technically the year hes heading into. Hes been playing with men in college, and there is absolutely no point in regressing. Burke is planning on graduating a significant portion of the Marlies core and is going to need replacements. Nothing is stopping him from developing in the AHL or even if the leafs are lucky enough the NHL. Burke has preached he needs size on this team, so hes going to put Biggs in the best possition to make the NHL and thats by getting him to the GTA and getting him out of Miami. What kinda hockey culuture could there possibly be in Miami?
I think Biggs would rather stay with Miami because he loves it there but if it's best for his development, I'm sure he's not hesitant to make the move. Especially when you consider his entire extended family lives in Toronto, which is about half an hour from Oshawa.

He'll make the transition look easy.

He's practically a Toronto boy.

Old
05-02-2012, 08:43 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Thilander View Post
Okay... Biggs goes to a school called Miami (Ohio) University... It's in Oxford, Ohio. It's a pretty popular school and if I'm not mistaken that's where Brian Burke's son was going to school at the time of his passing.
I know what school he was going to...Whats your point? Its a popular school? Brian Burke's son used to go there? what exactly is that supposed to represent?

Last edited by HockeyGuruPitka; 05-02-2012 at 08:48 AM..
Old
05-02-2012, 08:45 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Zibanejad View Post
I think Biggs would rather stay with Miami because he loves it there but if it's best for his development, I'm sure he's not hesitant to make the move. Especially when you consider his entire extended family lives in Toronto, which is about half an hour from Oshawa.

He'll make the transition look easy.

He's practically a Toronto boy.
My point exactly. If hes most inclined to stay in Miami what incentive does he have to leave? Hes not going to leave to play junior. Hes going to leave if Brian Burke and his management team have had a good opportunity to track his progression and have guaranteed him graduation to the pros. (pros include AHL and NHL)

Old
05-02-2012, 08:46 AM
orangeandblack

I'm guessing he will be in Oshawa. If going to the Marlies was set in stone he would have been playing for them a few weeks ago.

Looks like Oshawa could be very strong next year, especially since recently cleaning house. Biggs would be a huge addition and they would be even stronger if they land DiPauli from the NTDP too, who's been rumored to go too.

Old
05-02-2012, 08:50 AM
3 Minute Minor

Quote:
I know what school he was going to...Whats your point? Its a popular school? Brian Burke's son used to go there? what exactly is that supposed to represent?
There is a hockey culture there, in OHIO. The school isn't located in Miami which you seemed to think throughout your post You can try to play it off as me misunderstanding but you were pretty clear

Old
05-02-2012, 08:58 AM
McMatthews

Quote:
My point exactly. If hes most inclined to stay in Miami what incentive does he have to leave? Hes not going to leave to play junior. Hes going to leave if Brian Burke and his management team have had a good opportunity to track his progression and have guaranteed him graduation to the pros. (pros include AHL and NHL)
I read somewhere that there was an understanding a few weeks ago that Biggs wanted to go to the OHL and play with the Owen Sound Attack. The Maple Leafs have had good experience with the Attack and Jesse Blacker. They developed him very nicely and he turned into a star player for them, winning the championship.

Burke and Miami U. have a great relationship and he loves that school since his son went there. I don't think this was one of those situations where the NHL club harassed the player to make the move and screwed over the college team.

We'll see where he ends up. Oshawa doesn't even have a coach or GM and may even look to trade Biggs at some point in return for assets that would help them long term.

Old
05-02-2012, 09:01 AM
McMatthews

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeandblack View Post
I'm guessing he will be in Oshawa. If going to the Marlies was set in stone he would have been playing for them a few weeks ago.

Looks like Oshawa could be very strong next year, especially since recently cleaning house. Biggs would be a huge addition and they would be even stronger if they land DiPauli from the NTDP too, who's been rumored to go too.
He could join the Marlies during the playoff run. He may not play a game but the Maple Leafs tend to send their eligible prospects to be around the AHL club.

I could see Biggs joining the Marlies in what is expected to be a long playoff run.

Old
05-02-2012, 10:16 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Zibanejad View Post
We'll see where he ends up. Oshawa doesn't even have a coach or GM and may even look to trade Biggs at some point in return for assets that would help them long term.
Oshawa does have a GM...Jeff Twowey was hired last week and he has long successful track record in the OHL with the Petes.
IMHO Biggs was probably promised a good chance at making the Marlies and if it doesn't turn out too well for him he could be sent to the Gens..
Similar to what Burke did with D'Amigo last year with Kitchener.

Old
05-02-2012, 12:30 PM
sniper81

Quote:
Why are you so sure hes not going to oshawa, his dad played there, New management and coaching staff, Cole cassels from ohio is there, boone jenner, lucas lessio, niklas jenson and scott laughton are all returning unless they make the nhl. Im not the happiest guy about it but its a good situation

Old
05-02-2012, 12:53 PM
newfy

Going to a league full of smaller kids isnt a place for a fully, physically developed guy like Biggs to go to develop his scoring skills. Now hes just going to be able to steamroll through all the 17 and 18 year olds no problem. Once he gets to the pro level it wont work for him and he'll have to try to develop some hands and skill there.

Should stay in the NCAA where they play bigger guys, and have even more focus on weight training so that he can become even more of a tank.

I dont like this move one bit to be honest, didnt like it with Coyle either. Guys built like these 2 will tear up against the smaller junior leagues, based on size, not relying on skills

Old
05-02-2012, 01:48 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
There is a hockey culture there, in OHIO. The school isn't located in Miami which you seemed to think throughout your post You can try to play it off as me misunderstanding but you were pretty clear
i get your point now.. honestly didnt know what you were trying to say. Yes i do realize that Ohio has a decent hockey following, however my geography is lacking and didnt realize Miami was close. Someone says Miami and i think of fist pumpers, ozzi guillen, cubans and the Heat. I mean i understand that there is somewhat of a culture, but what kind of success has Miami had with developing NHLers over the last 5 or so years?

From breifly researching:

since 2002 Miami university has developed 2 NHL hockey players. Ryan Jones and Andy Greene.

Old
05-02-2012, 02:17 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper81 View Post
Why are you so sure hes not going to oshawa, his dad played there, New management and coaching staff, Cole cassels from ohio is there, boone jenner, lucas lessio, niklas jenson and scott laughton are all returning unless they make the nhl. Im not the happiest guy about it but its a good situation
I'm adament on him playing pro because he was and still is the most physically ready player in last years draft. He went 22nd overal after being projectd to be the 17th overal selection. At one point in the season he was ranked top 10, falling slightly due to a lack of production. The leafs most dire needs currently are #1C #1G and size. Biggs is the only prospect in our system that fully fits the mold of a PF that can fit into a top 9 possition. He can throw punches and terrorize defense. Hes been playing against men in the NCAA, and doing fine. Moving him into a situation with talented and developed players will be the ideal scenario. Moving him down a weight class IMO is regression. Now by all means i could be completely wrong, however i just do not see incentive for a player to leave a team they committed 4 years to with no incentive. Leaving the NCAA to play in a lateral league in the CHL is pointless. Getting him with pro players will help improve his overal hockey sense. A deep team like the marlies that are 3-4 lines deep can always put him into ideal situations. Running him when his line is hot, and sitting him when his line is cold. In the NCAA its often a top 6 bottom 6 with the bottom half getting significantly less icetime.

Yes Oshawa has a decent mix of players, however a good majority of their talented players are similar to Biggs in a sense. We need him in a situation that he can fully develope his trade, and right now in the Marlies or Leafs is where he needs to be. Its not about where his dad played, because if that mattered he wouldnt have gone to Miami. Its about whats best for his development and when youve got a team desperate for a Tyler Biggs, you do whatever you can to fast track him into the line-up. Biggs is hypothetically our top offensive prospect. I say this due to the likes of Nazem Kadri, and Joe Colborne not fitting an exact dire team need. Biggs has no one in his way that brings the same tools to the table.

Last edited by HockeyGuruPitka; 05-02-2012 at 02:26 PM..
Old
05-02-2012, 02:19 PM
3 Minute Minor

Quote:
i get your point now.. honestly didnt know what you were trying to say. Yes i do realize that Ohio has a decent hockey following, however my geography is lacking and didnt realize Miami was close. Someone says Miami and i think of fist pumpers, ozzi guillen, cubans and the Heat. I mean i understand that there is somewhat of a culture, but what kind of success has Miami had with developing NHLers over the last 5 or so years?

From breifly researching:

since 2002 Miami university has developed 2 NHL hockey players. Ryan Jones and Andy Greene.
Reilly Smith - 3rd round pick Dallas, just made his NHL debut this year.
Andy Miele - undrafted signee last season, Hobey Baker winner, AHL All-Star
Dan Boyle - older example, undrafted Stanley Cup winner.
Alec Martinez - 4th round pick L.A 07, over 100 NHL GP at 24
Carter Camper - Undrafted kid now in Boston, looks like he could be a nice depth player.
They also have a commitment from Anthony Louis who's a pretty decent young prospect.

Miami University and University of Miami are two very different places lol one is a top NCAA hockey school whereas the other is (or was, im not big on the sport) a school best known for football. One's in Florida, the other in Ohio.

Old
05-02-2012, 02:26 PM
McDNicks17
Leon!

vCash: 50
Quote:
I'm adament on him playing pro because he was and still is the most physically ready player in last years draft. He went 22nd overal after being projectd to be the 17th overal selection. At one point in the season he was ranked top 10, falling slightly due to a lack of production. The leafs most dire needs currently are #1C #1G and size. Biggs is the only prospect in our system that fully fits the mold of a PF that can fit into a top 9 possition. He can throw punches and terrorize defense. Hes been playing against men in the NCAA, and doing fine. Moving him into a situation with talented and developed players will be the ideal scenario. Moving him down a weight class IMO is regression. Now by all means i could be completely wrong, however i just do not see incentive for a player to leave a team they committed 4 years to with no incentive. Leaving the NCAA to play in a lateral league in the CHL is pointless. Getting him with pro players will help improve his overal hockey sense. A deep team like the marlies that are 3-4 lines deep can always put him into ideal situations. Running him when his line is hot, and sitting him when his line is cold. In the NCAA its often a top 6 bottom 6 with the bottom half getting significantly less icetime.

Yes Oshawa has a decent mix of players, however a good majority of their talented players are similar to Biggs in a sense. We need him in a situation that he can fully develope his trade, and right now in the Marlies or Leafs is where he needs to be. Its not about where his dad played, because if that mattered he wouldnt have gone to Miami. Its about whats best for his development and when youve got a team desperate for a Tyler Biggs, you do whatever you can to fast track him into the line-up. Biggs is hypothetically our top offensive prospect. I say this due to the likes of Nazem Kadri, and Joe Colborne not fitting an exact dire team need. Biggs has no one in his way that brings the same tools to the table.
I look at how D'Amigo performed after leaving RPI and it makes me think Biggs would transition better with a year in the OHL.

Oshawa should be a pretty good team too with Laughton, Jensen, Lessio, Altshuller and Jenner. None of those guys are really all that similar to Biggs. Jenner is the closest, but I don't see that being a bad thing. Christian Thomas will probably move on to the AHL, so Biggs just slots right into his RW spot.

Old
05-02-2012, 02:33 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Reilly Smith - 3rd round pick Dallas, just made his NHL debut this year.
Andy Miele - undrafted signee last season, Hobey Baker winner, AHL All-Star
Dan Boyle - older example, undrafted Stanley Cup winner.
Alec Martinez - 4th round pick L.A 07, over 100 NHL GP at 24
Carter Camper - Undrafted kid now in Boston, looks like he could be a nice depth player.
They also have a commitment from Anthony Louis who's a pretty decent young prospect.

Miami University and University of Miami are two very different places lol one is a top NCAA hockey school whereas the other is (or was, im not big on the sport) a school best known for football. One's in Florida, the other in Ohio.

Regardless, we have come to the conclussion that Miami has the ability to develope depth players. Outside of Dan Boyle that is an exception from almost 15 years ago. Doesnt sound like the best option. Shall we compare the Marlies and Generals to that list? Regardless him leaving is a good decision IMO.

Old
05-02-2012, 02:55 PM
3 Minute Minor

Quote:
Regardless, we have come to the conclussion that Miami has the ability to develope depth players. Outside of Dan Boyle that is an exception from almost 15 years ago. Doesnt sound like the best option. Shall we compare the Marlies and Generals to that list? Regardless him leaving is a good decision IMO.
What do you think Tyler Biggs is? His absolute ceiling looks like he'll be a gritty 2nd liner but more realistically he's a bottom six guy. If any Leaf fans are hoping Biggs turns out to be a top six forward, they're setting themselves up to be disappointed.

Old
05-02-2012, 02:57 PM
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang

Quote:
What do you think Tyler Biggs is? His absolute ceiling looks like he'll be a gritty 2nd liner but more realistically he's a bottom six guy. If any Leaf fans are hoping Biggs turns out to be a top six forward, they're setting themselves up to be disappointed.
2nd line 20/25 goal + 25/30 assist guy

Old
05-02-2012, 03:01 PM
Stats01

vCash: 580
Quote:
It's not Miami Florida, it's Miami university of Ohio..there's a great hockey culture in Ohio. This has everything to do with his development than anything. He wasn't getting much ice time as a freshman so the organization probably pushed him up towards leaving and joining the Generals where they can keep a closer eye on him.

Old
05-02-2012, 03:06 PM
3 Minute Minor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
2nd line 20/25 goal + 25/30 assist guy
I'm not going to argue with fans about what Biggs will be. It's an impossible argument where neither of us are proven right for many years.

If Biggs reaches his full potential, he can turn out to be a 20 goal guy 40-50 points but that's if he develops absolutely perfectly. Just because he can, doesn't mean he will...

Old
05-02-2012, 03:13 PM
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang

Quote:
I'm not going to argue with fans about what Biggs will be. It's an impossible argument where neither of us are proven right for many years.

If Biggs reaches his full potential, he can turn out to be a 20 goal guy 40-50 points but that's if he develops absolutely perfectly. Just because he can, doesn't mean he will...
40 points is not exactly earth-shattering ...

his absolute ceiling is more than that probably more in the 60 point range

but i hate putting limits on prospects until they actually play on the NHL

Old
05-02-2012, 03:19 PM
3 Minute Minor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
40 points is not exactly earth-shattering ...

his absolute ceiling is more than that probably more in the 60 point range

but i hate putting limits on prospects until they actually play on the NHL
You said 20/25 goals 25/30 assists. It's your own math

When I say ceiling, I mean at a consistent rate. For example, If he has one 60 point season with nine 40 point seasons, he's still a 40 point guy.

Old
05-02-2012, 03:21 PM
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang

Quote:
You said 20/25 goals 25/30 assists. It's your own math

When I say ceiling, I mean at a consistent rate. For example, If he has one 60 point season with nine 40 point seasons, he's still a 40 point guy.
20 + 25 doesnt equal 40 lol

i think he could be a consistent 20ish goal/30ish assist guy .. maybe be a dustin brown-lite

but that is by no means his max ceiling ... it could be more... doubtful, but its definitely possible

Old
05-02-2012, 03:40 PM
sniper81

Quote:

I think the ohl will be the best for him, I dont think rushing him to the american league will be best for his overall development, If he goes to oshawa he gets first line minutes riding shotgun with boone jenner (terrorizing line). I do see your point and understand it but imo ohl is best for his skillset to start translating. I feel rushing biggs will bust him, I just dont see a point in rushing him, hes atleast 2 years away from the nhl. In the ahl he wont get first line minutes like he would in Oshawa

Old
05-02-2012, 03:45 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
It's not Miami Florida, it's Miami university of Ohio..there's a great hockey culture in Ohio. This has everything to do with his development than anything. He wasn't getting much ice time as a freshman so the organization probably pushed him up towards leaving and joining the Generals where they can keep a closer eye on him.
I know .. now

Closed Thread